AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-24, 02:15   Link #761
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
I think the Japanese just have a huge affinity for LEs. REs never do that well in the music CD charts either if you look at Soundscan along with Oricon.
I'm pretty sure people buy the LE for the extras first and foremost, and less for the actual discs.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 03:33   Link #762
hyl
imouto lover
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I'm pretty sure people buy the LE for the extras first and foremost, and less for the actual discs.
You mean like with Im@s cinderella girls , in which people bought the cd's for the inserted code for a virtual card and i saw many codeless discs being sold on 2nd hand shops or auctions.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 20:24   Link #763
truehappiness
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I'm pretty sure people buy the LE for the extras first and foremost, and less for the actual discs.
Well, sometimes LEs in Japan only have some bonus content on the discs, but usually Limited Editions have some kind of extra... so you could say that they buy them 100% of the time for the extras. :P
__________________

UNSPEAKABLE
truehappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 20:36   Link #764
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
Well, sometimes LEs in Japan only have some bonus content on the discs, but usually Limited Editions have some kind of extra... so you could say that they buy them 100% of the time for the extras. :P
LE in Singles also usually included DVD with the single's MV on them, and for around $6 USD more why not? And then you add the the recent trend led by AKB with photos and event tickets and posters and such, it simply doesn't make sense to just buy RE.

It's like videogame, the value of bonus offers is usually view as greater then the price difference.
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 20:55   Link #765
truehappiness
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Those kinds of external bonuses have always been rather common with LEs or even just people who pre-order for a while now. AKB just sells a LOT of copies because of it, haha.

I think the only reason anyone would buy an RE is because they want to save up their money which tends to be why anyone I knows gets them over the LE (which is almost always the default version to be purchased).
__________________

UNSPEAKABLE
truehappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 21:43   Link #766
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Looks like Boys on the Slop will reach 5k. Not bad for a josei title at all. Very pleased that one's adaptation has been financially justified.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 23:14   Link #767
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
Those kinds of external bonuses have always been rather common with LEs or even just people who pre-order for a while now. AKB just sells a LOT of copies because of it, haha.

I think the only reason anyone would buy an RE is because they want to save up their money which tends to be why anyone I knows gets them over the LE (which is almost always the default version to be purchased).

Not to mention that if you are just buying RE, might as well buying it as digital download instead.
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 23:20   Link #768
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Not to mention that if you are just buying RE, might as well buying it as digital download instead.
I think this is the key point. It's not so much "buy to play", but more "buy to collect", and if you're collecting, you want the best you can get. That applies to Blu-Rays as well as CDs and the like.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 03:08   Link #769
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
20 - ● アクセル・ワールド 1【初回限定版】 1,766 1,766 12/7/25 WHV
5 - ● アクセル・ワールド 1【初回限定版】 7,372 7,372 12/7/25 WHV

HAHAHHAHAHHAA go accel yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 03:20   Link #770
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Sword Art Online seems to be nearing 4k so far and plenty of time before release. Hopefully this keeps up.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 03:35   Link #771
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Sword Art Online seems to be nearing 4k so far and plenty of time before release. Hopefully this keeps up.
SAO is not doing too hot on the store front, it's good at Tora, but at mate, softmap, Gamers it's totally just not there; another guy told me it's not near the top for HMV nor DMM either; it also doesn't demonstrate the entire series buy-in effects that AW had when it first got listed either (not talking about Amazon here). To live up to the LN fanbase, SAO has to be at least nearing 15k to be called "successful" (which is the same reason why most people think that Haganai was a "failure" adaptation because the potential could be so much higher), and 15k is already a really lenient line.

Worth mentioning that Amazon's yearly rank's out too for those interested, F/Z II's set is doing pretty well there despite numbers not being out yet; it's a good estimate for the lowest cute off because Pirates is near the end there and we have the numbers for that (obviously it doesn't include the ones that sell better store-front wise).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 08:50   Link #772
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
20 - ● アクセル・ワールド 1【初回限定版】 1,766 1,766 12/7/25 WHV
5 - ● アクセル・ワールド 1【初回限定版】 7,372 7,372 12/7/25 WHV

HAHAHHAHAHHAA go accel yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
im glad Accel World is selling so well
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 09:43   Link #773
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
SAO is not doing too hot on the store front, it's good at Tora, but at mate, softmap, Gamers it's totally just not there; another guy told me it's not near the top for HMV nor DMM either; it also doesn't demonstrate the entire series buy-in effects that AW had when it first got listed either (not talking about Amazon here). To live up to the LN fanbase, SAO has to be at least nearing 15k to be called "successful" (which is the same reason why most people think that Haganai was a "failure" adaptation because the potential could be so much higher), and 15k is already a really lenient line.
Well, first of all, the reason it's doing well at Toranoana and not other stores is probably because of the unusually lavish chance to win the sword replica. Given the opportunity to enter that contest, I would tend to think a lot of people will choose that store over any others. Heck, I would if I were in Japan.

As for the "appeasing the novel fanbase with some arbitrary line of sales that they will consider good"... honestly, I think that's just silly. I can't think of many shows with that sort of a RPG/fantasy premise that have been successful as anime to that sort of degree, and just because the novels are popular doesn't automatically translate into anime sales (as we should well know). Rather than worry about "being appeased" by some arbitrary sales number that's meaningless, perhaps it would be more productive for said fans to actually buy the anime and make it happen.

(Haganai being labelled a "failure" is similarly stupid; I think the reason most anime fans should be worried about sales isn't as a pride point, but because it often helps determine whether a sequel will be made. In this case, a sequel was already green-lit, so the anime obviously sold well enough. These aren't bet horses where the winner takes all.)
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 10:57   Link #774
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
20 - ● アクセル・ワールド 1【初回限定版】 1,766 1,766 12/7/25 WHV
5 - ● アクセル・ワールド 1【初回限定版】 7,372 7,372 12/7/25 WHV

HAHAHHAHAHHAA go accel yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Going to eventually pass the 10K mark I would guess. I would hope this improves the chances of seeing the rest of the LN animated, this has been one of those sales stats I've actually been looking forward to seeing for that reason.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 11:52   Link #775
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, first of all, the reason it's doing well at Toranoana and not other stores is probably because of the unusually lavish chance to win the sword replica. Given the opportunity to enter that contest, I would tend to think a lot of people will choose that store over any others. Heck, I would if I were in Japan.
You have to buy all the volumes to have a chance of that iirc, and only vol 1 and 2 were anywhere near the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
As for the "appeasing the novel fanbase with some arbitrary line of sales that they will consider good"... honestly, I think that's just silly. I can't think of many shows with that sort of a RPG/fantasy premise that have been successful as anime to that sort of degree, and just because the novels are popular doesn't automatically translate into anime sales (as we should well know). Rather than worry about "being appeased" by some arbitrary sales number that's meaningless, perhaps it would be more productive for said fans to actually buy the anime and make it happen.

(Haganai being labelled a "failure" is similarly stupid; I think the reason most anime fans should be worried about sales isn't as a pride point, but because it often helps determine whether a sequel will be made. In this case, a sequel was already green-lit, so the anime obviously sold well enough. These aren't bet horses where the winner takes all.)
I don't see why you find people having higher expectations for a series with a larger fanbase stupid, I would consider it natural (in this case, it is the series with the highest sales pre-animated from Dengeki afterall). I find it entirely unfair to assess the potential of an adaptation without considering the original. If this is a fundamental point that we disagree on then there's nothing more to add.

Most people who talks about sales numbers don't actually care that much if a series succeeds or bombs; we make fun of the series/or the anti-fans about the numbers and then move on, so we are certainly not worried about numbers (and those who don't talk about sales number etc. etc.). Even though there are die-hard fans that buy the series just because they like the studio, it's rational to assume that most would rather not buy if they don't like what they saw (in that case nobody cares if there's second season).

For the above reasons, sales numbers (not just BD) were never treated as pride points in the first place; it's only a bonus information for people to gauge how the series match up against expectation of their own and others.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 12:09   Link #776
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Considering the amount of Sena merchandise that is being cranked out and selling well to boot on top of that 2nd season - Haganai a failure for being around the 10k mark? Seems like a fairly worthwhile venture from a financial perspective.

So in a market that cracking 10k is hard enough to do let alone profit lines, now not hitting 15k isn't good enough?
__________________
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 12:17   Link #777
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Considering the amount of Sena merchandise that is being cranked out and selling well to boot on top of that 2nd season - Haganai a failure for being around the 10k mark? Seems like a fairly worthwhile venture from a financial perspective.

So in a market that cracking 10k is hard enough to do let alone profit lines, now not hitting 15k isn't good enough?
Not that it's not good enough, but rather you would expect a series which source material cracked 200k sold in its first week to sell more than 10k per BD/DVD volume. Haganai was rivaling Haruhi when you compare novel sales pre-anime. On the other hand, you also expect an adaptation to increase novel/manga sales, which Haganai didn't do either. It's definitely not a failure sales-wise, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that the production company assumed a larger sales projection/novel sale increase.

As for Sword Art Online, it's too early to project realistic sales IMO. We have just less than 3 months for the first volume and many things can happen. Novels have increased quite a lot, so, thus far, it appears to at least have taken the BakaTest route.
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 12:20   Link #778
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Considering the amount of Sena merchandise that is being cranked out and selling well to boot on top of that 2nd season - Haganai a failure for being around the 10k mark? Seems like a fairly worthwhile venture from a financial perspective.

So in a market that cracking 10k is hard enough to do let alone profit lines, now not hitting 15k isn't good enough?
Once again, this is a fundamental point that I disagree on. You guys love to just access something on its own, I don't. If Haganai can break 10k on volume 1, you actually still think it's unfair to think that SAO could at least hit 15k? Dengeki has way more advertising going on for AW/SAO than Haganai did (being anniversary project and all).

Also, there's a reason why I put failure in quotes in my original post, but feel free to keep talking about that.

EDIT: This is more about expectation, not prediction (I apologize if I was unclear about that).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 13:18   Link #779
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
That really is going to depends on whether LN readers can handle a non-linear story being converted to a linear one in enough numbers, along with how much of the novels are covered in the remaining episodes, whether certain characters/moments got the right focus, etc.

This isn't like Horizon where fans knew what to expect and pre-ordered all volumes in advance.

I get the SAO light novels were big sellers and that there's an expectation for it to pass a certain mark. But novels and anime are hard to give such a definite conversion of success to. K-ON's manga sales have always been somewhat weak yet the anime was a huge success. Moshidora was based off a novel that sold about 2 million copies but in anime it didn't do well.

Yes, there is a big pre-existing fanbase for SAO. Yes, you would expect it to reach a certain mark. But really, who can predict where one's loyalty and money goes to?
__________________
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 17:44   Link #780
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
You have to buy all the volumes to have a chance of that iirc, and only vol 1 and 2 were anywhere near the top.
Well, if it's the way it usually is, you don't have to buy all the volumes all at once to be eligible, you just have to end up buying all the volumes at their store. Most stores will track if a given customer has purchased all the volumes, and some have a coupon process to apply for the prize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
I don't see why you find people having higher expectations for a series with a larger fanbase stupid, I would consider it natural (in this case, it is the series with the highest sales pre-animated from Dengeki afterall). I find it entirely unfair to assess the potential of an adaptation without considering the original. If this is a fundamental point that we disagree on then there's nothing more to add.
Well, the main thing I was considering stupid was if people actually call things failures for not reaching some arbitrary threshold they made up. People can expect whatever they want, but we don't really have enough information to know if it's reasonable. To that point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
Once again, this is a fundamental point that I disagree on. You guys love to just access something on its own, I don't. If Haganai can break 10k on volume 1, you actually still think it's unfair to think that SAO could at least hit 15k? Dengeki has way more advertising going on for AW/SAO than Haganai did (being anniversary project and all).
But Haganai is an ecchi fanservice comedy show. Sword Art Online is a fantasy/RPG style work going for more of an "epic" feel. The sorts of people who buy anime on Limited Edition Blu-Ray aren't necessarily a direct correlation to the sort of people who buy novels. (One could argue that a fanservice-oriented title benefits more from the animated medium just because it's so visual to start with.) So if we simply say "this seems like a more high-profile work; I expect it will sell better on Blu-Ray than another popular work sold on Blu-Ray", it's just too simplistic. Not to mention the currently-available competition for customer dollars and whatever overlap there may be there (something that's somewhat out of any given company's direct control).

All that to say, the relation between popularity, fanbase, and disc sales isn't fixed; we may lay all the disc sales on a side-by-side list in these threads, but the expectations of the industry can't be based on a static formula.
__________________
[...]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-31 at 18:05.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
news, sales, statistics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.