AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-19, 11:15   Link #1
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

under appreciated anime

Suggestions for anime that are good and yet that are ignored by the majorty of the anime viewers. Also I would prefer if it was recent as I kinda watched lot of old animes recently.
Old 2008-01-19, 11:43   Link #2
darksider

Difficult to decide since I don't really know how many you've watched, but Potemayo and Sketchbook ~full color'S~ (MFI stuff though) I think are recent enough and mildly underrated. What do you think?
Old 2008-01-19, 12:08   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There's a long thread about this topic in the General Anime section:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=842

Many of the series I list in my signature I'd consider under appreciated. In particular, I'd point to:

Bartender
Dennou Coil
Mononoke
Oh! Edo Rocket, and perhaps,
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Seirei no Moribito

Lately I'd add Baccano! and Moyashimon to that list.

Edit: Added them to signature.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-01-22 at 01:19.
Old 2008-01-19, 12:08   Link #4
Troilism

Going off of what usually pops up on the suggestions...

Toward the Terra
Simoun
noein
El Cazador de la Bruja (not everyone's cup of tea though)
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto

from the top of my head...

EDIT:

Ah yes I wouldn't consider this one THAT under appreciated but you don't see many people talk about it...Dennou Coil (I am watching it now and it hasn't done anything wrong yet and ep 12 is just so funny)
Old 2008-01-19, 12:24   Link #5
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksider View Post
Difficult to decide since I don't really know how many you've watched, but Potemayo and Sketchbook ~full color'S~ (MFI stuff though) I think are recent enough and mildly underrated. What do you think?
Seems interesting enough I will try those two out thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
There's a long thread about this topic in the General Anime section:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=842

Many of the series I list in my signature I'd consider under appreciated. In particular, I'd point to:

Bartender
Dennou Coil
Mononoke
Oh! Edo Rocket, and perhaps,
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Seirei no Moribito

Lately I'd add Baccano! and Moyashimon to that list.
Yeah but I also wanted some recent anime as I think I missed out lot of underrated new animes recently that came out. Heard few good things about Baccano! seems to be good anime, I am definitely going to try that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troilism View Post
Going off of what usually pops up on the suggestions...

Toward the Terra
Simoun
noein
El Cazador de la Bruja (not everyone's cup of tea though)
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto

from the top of my head...

EDIT:

Ah yes I wouldn't consider this one THAT under appreciated but you don't see many people talk about it...Dennou Coil (I am watching it now and it hasn't done anything wrong yet and ep 12 is just so funny)
Thanks, well all them seems to be pretty interesting won't hurt to try them all .
Old 2008-01-19, 12:47   Link #6
Hikikomori Ja nai
Pony-tails Turn me on >_<

Send a message via AIM to Hikikomori Ja nai
Overdrive is relatively neglected, mostly because of the lack of consistent subbing.... however it is probably top 5 anime of 2007 IMHO

Mikoo is my hero!! ......wait... I can't wear women's clothes! Look I'm... born with this Dandyism! - Makoto/Mako-Chan
Old 2008-01-19, 13:07   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Yeah but I also wanted some recent anime as I think I missed out lot of underrated new animes recently that came out.
Bartender - 2006
Dennou Coil -2007
Mononoke - 2007
Oh! Edo Rocket - 2007
Saiunkoku Monogatari - 2007-2008
Seirei no Moribito - 2007

I'm not sure what you consider "recent;" these seem pretty recent to me.
Old 2008-01-19, 13:10   Link #8
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Bartender - 2006
Dennou Coil -2007
Mononoke - 2007
Oh! Edo Rocket - 2007
Saiunkoku Monogatari - 2007-2008
Seirei no Moribito - 2007

I'm not sure what you consider "recent;" these seem pretty recent to me.
No I was talking about the thread that you mentioned, why I didn't really look into it .
Old 2008-01-19, 13:31   Link #9
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

definitely watch Baccano, and Potemayo and Monoke are both severely overlooked, too.
Old 2008-01-19, 16:01   Link #10
Echoes

Kaiji. Most underrated show currently airing.
Old 2008-01-19, 18:27   Link #11
tbl
Affably Evil

Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Dragonball Z, et al.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-01-19, 19:32   Link #12
FinnMacCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Dragonball Z, et al.
how can you say these are underappreciated? If anything, they are overappreciated. Not to say that they are bad, but youa lways hear a lot of people talking about them
in consenting to blow your mind!
Old 2008-01-19, 20:10   Link #13
Niji

Innocent Venus if you like mecha. Ending that made kinda sense, for once. Good story, and very good characters. Some sights proved to be a bit disturbing to me, but my nerves are not too good to begin with.

Black Blood Brothers. Vampire story. Cutest char in anime history. Some quite awesome fighting scenes.

Kenichi - history's strongest deciple. Maybe not so underrated anymore. Kenichi just rulez. I am so waiting for the 2nd season.

I do think Jyu Oh Sei is underrated too. Oh, but it is older. nm
Old 2008-01-19, 20:18   Link #14
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
definitely watch Baccano, and Potemayo and Monoke are both severely overlooked, too.
Baccano seems to be under appreciated well I definitely going to watch this one like I said before. And Mononoke seems to have interesting art style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niji View Post
Innocent Venus if you like mecha. Ending that made kinda sense, for once. Good story, and very good characters. Some sights proved to be a bit disturbing to me, but my nerves are not too good to begin with.

Black Blood Brothers. Vampire story. Cutest char in anime history. Some quite awesome fighting scenes.

Kenichi - history's strongest deciple. Maybe not so underrated anymore. Kenichi just rulez. I am so waiting for the 2nd season.

I do think Jyu Oh Sei is underrated too. Oh, but it is older. nm
Do I like mecha? Are you kidding me I love mech genre .
Anyhow thanks everyone for the suggestions .
Old 2008-01-19, 20:57   Link #15
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMacCool View Post
how can you say these are underappreciated? If anything, they are overappreciated. Not to say that they are bad, but youa lways hear a lot of people talking about them
Hence the joke. I really didn't want to spell it out though the use of a emoticon, but in hindsight, perhaps I should have.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-01-19, 21:09   Link #16
devildog23
Summerlurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikikomori Ja nai View Post
Overdrive is relatively neglected, mostly because of the lack of consistent subbing.... however it is probably top 5 anime of 2007 IMHO
Second that, Overdrive is probably the best sports anime I've seen, it makes me want to ride my bike 5 miles in the rain. The only negative parts are that the race takes really long and as you already stated, the fansub may be on the slower side.. I'm still waiting for episode 25...
Old 2008-01-19, 23:14   Link #17
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Send a message via MSN to bruno321
How about you try a couple of excellent anime movies? Mind Game and Paprika.
Old 2008-01-19, 23:36   Link #18
king12354

Gungrave definetely. I seen a lot of comments of people who finished the show who loved it and the ending. It has action, some sci-fi element in the latter half and a sprinkle of romance but the best part is the relationship between the main characters who are true friends as they work their way up from the bottom rung of a mafia to find their freedom and their happiness after consistently losing what's important to them while in the end, they truly realize what is really important to them.

Tsubasa Chronicles as well. It's about a guy who travels to many different worlds with his lover who lost her memory to collect her feathers (which contains her memories). Fantasy/adventure/romance/action. It's a real fun anime which 4 comrades search for the feathers together. It's sad to see how the main character loves the girl who he travels with and the girl also loves him back but she lost her relationship with the main character as you will see why. Expect a lot more drama. Each character is strong and not naive/stupid.
Bad part is that there are 2 seasons out but it isn't finished and the 3rd season doesn't look like it will be coming out anytime soon. However there are OVAs currently being released or have been released which I guess would be the bridge between season 2 and season 3.
Old 2008-01-20, 00:40   Link #19
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Definitely I'll recommend Seirei no Moribito, Bokurano, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
Old 2008-01-20, 00:43   Link #20
Troilism

Just going to put an emphasis on Dennou Coil here...The second half of the series is completely different from the first and is just....wow. I recommend it before but now I REALLY do.
Closed Thread

Tags
obscure, underappreciated