AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2009-12-15, 11:22   Link #421
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Finally popped open my S&W DVD first season.... nothing stellar in the packaging/format but decently done.

I can't say I'm real pleased with the subtitle translations.... quite a few lines are sloppy or worse. I've heard the english dub via streaming.... the spoken dialog is written quite a bit better.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 11:36   Link #422
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I can't say I'm real pleased with the subtitle translations.... quite a few lines are sloppy or worse. I've heard the english dub via streaming.... the spoken dialog is written quite a bit better.
That's unusual. I'm surprised. Usually the ADR script is worse than the subtitled one. I haven't even opened mine yet. I'm giving it to hubby as a Christmas gift, so I'm keeping the package sealed until the big day.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 11:44   Link #423
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, its literally the first time I've ever had that feeling with a series o.O

In my experience, the subtitles usually are far better than the spoken dialog (however poorly they may be delivered) ... but:

example ep 1 line -- "We can now say goodbye to the rusty, blacken Lute Sliver coins."

minor annoyance, "alcohol" is not a good translation for "sake" .... either just use "sake" (english import) or say "wine" o.O

awkward writing: "I took this form for the first time in a long while" O.o Editor must have been on lunch break.

Then there's the usual "getting it wrong" with the term 'kami': "... I have been called God and bound..."
More accurately it should be "... I have been called a god and bound..."
Many anime translations muff this one though... its like no one studied pantheon mythology.

Fortunately for our wolf ... her lovely voice lets the observant viewer know there's a lot of beauty in how she speaks even if the subtitles don't show it

And in this matter, as I've said the english dub voice acting actually doesn't suck, so kudos to the english voice actors for their hard work.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-12-15 at 12:06.
Old 2010-01-14, 14:04   Link #424
Revan21

Just couldn't resist getting one when I saw it at the local store

Spice and Wolf II - 2010 Calendar

The packing didn't really gave away it's contents but I am satisfied with the images
Old 2010-01-15, 21:51   Link #425
Starburst
Horo♥

hmm I need to find scans of Jan/Feb and Jul/Aug. I have scans of the rest already from other sources I guess.
Old 2010-01-16, 08:24   Link #426
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
hmm I need to find scans of Jan/Feb and Jul/Aug. I have scans of the rest already from other sources I guess.
I believe Sept/Oct is a new one as well, never seen a scan of it before
Old 2010-01-16, 12:31   Link #427
Starburst
Horo♥

hmm you're right. I though I had that picture, I know that I've seen it before.
Old 2010-01-16, 13:36   Link #428
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
hmm you're right. I though I had that picture, I know that I've seen it before.
I thought so too at first...

It might have been

or

Same setting, different pose for Horo
Old 2010-01-16, 18:57   Link #429
Starburst
Horo♥

nah I have those... but I know I've seen it before, probably on some Japanese site that I couldn't read.

Oh well, I imagine there'll be scans eventually.
Old 2010-01-16, 21:35   Link #430
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
I thought so too at first...

It might have been

or

Same setting, different pose for Horo
Hmmm, the first one seems well-drawn, but the second one (pantsless)... the artist has totally screwed up where the tail should be (o.O). A shame because otherwise it was nicely done. I just see way too many tails stuck in odd angles, or wrong connect points in much "fan art".

Its an extension of the SPINE, dammit

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-01-17 at 18:27.
Old 2010-01-16, 22:27   Link #431
Starburst
Horo♥

I'm not overly fond of that artists Horo works, but they're decent enough. I too noticed the poorly placed tail though. Why do artists screw it up so much? it ruins my tail fetish.
Old 2010-02-06, 03:54   Link #432
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Just out of curiosity, I never saw any artwork for the '09 calendar... how would one go about getting to see those images. I could not find them anywhere... granted I only became aware of this great novel and anime a few months back, and thus any associated products but...

And, is it just my computer, or did any of y'all get some sketchy audio and visuals in the background on those image links further up on this page? I did not hang around on it long enough to find out what was going on (was nigh unto blushing very badly).

Oh, and to save on making another post when not needed... Star, I think it's simply that they don't consider anatomy, and it may have been one of the last things added and they thought no one would pay that great of attention to point of origin. Maybe?

Last edited by Rajura; 2010-02-06 at 14:23.
Rajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 03:35   Link #433
NuHalo

Hey folks..

I saw a link earlier to a body pillow/dakimakura of Horo and I was interested in purchasing one, but the link appears dead now and the site is in Japanese which i can't read =\

Does anyone have a fresh link to a supplier who sends to Canada or has a high res picture of the pillow itself I could use?

If so, many thanks in advance.
NuHalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 06:12   Link #434
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuHalo View Post
Hey folks..

I saw a link earlier to a body pillow/dakimakura of Horo and I was interested in purchasing one, but the link appears dead now and the site is in Japanese which i can't read =\

Does anyone have a fresh link to a supplier who sends to Canada or has a high res picture of the pillow itself I could use?

If so, many thanks in advance.
Hmmm... don't have one, so I can't help on with a high-res picture. However, when looking around ebay for other S&W items, I have seen them for sale, most of the sellers do ship international. I think there are still some available, but I'll let you take a look. I know a few designs that were "offically" produced, but I don't know if all the ones I have seen in fact are. Just do a spice and wolf search... they should pop-up for you. I would include the the links here, but I have to get to school/work.
Old 2010-03-09, 10:49   Link #435
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You might give jlist.com a shot - they often carry the "less seen stuff". But such things tend to sell out quickly and they don't make very many.
Old 2010-03-16, 16:08   Link #436
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Not official products, but http://janelee922.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=963628 has a few to offer. I'm tempted by one, but I really have no need for another pillow. >.>
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-16, 18:34   Link #437
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
Not official products, but http://janelee922.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=963628 has a few to offer. I'm tempted by one, but I really have no need for another pillow. >.>
Yeah... just can't do the pillow thing.

For me, it just doesn't seem right... she looks great, but...
Old 2010-03-16, 19:28   Link #438
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Haha yeah, they pictures are cool, but theres something a little....creepy...about sleeping with some of those on your pillow.
Kinda screams 'help me, I can't get a girlfriend'....not exactly something you'd be wanting to show friends/family!
Reading: Rosario and Vampire II, Sankarea
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-16, 21:43   Link #439
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Haha yeah, they pictures are cool, but theres something a little....creepy...about sleeping with some of those on your pillow.
Kinda screams 'help me, I can't get a girlfriend'....not exactly something you'd be wanting to show friends/family!
Yeah... that is another contributing factor... hahahaha!
Old 2010-03-16, 23:26   Link #440
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
I have a dakimakura of one of my favourite characters, and the body pillow is great for my back, helps my posture while sleeping, so I see no reason to object to having a nice cover for it. Granted, I'm a woman, so the whole "getting a girlfriend" thing is a bit moot to me, and I live alone with only sporadic visitors, all of whom know I'm an anime fan, so a pillow is no big deal. It is the only non-DVD merchandise I have though... I guess aside from two figures that aren't terribly visible usually.

But I don't let people in my room when I do have the rare visitor anyway, so eh. No worries either way.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote