AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2010-02-20, 07:20   Link #941
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Ok, it's true the new cover may not be THAT bad in and of itself, but I do so much more prefer the original; it's much more appealing to my eye and as you kind of noted... better reflects the prize inside!
Wierdly rather than anything else, the first thing I noticed is they missed the fangs from the grin on the new cover. It's implied Horo's canines are more fang-like than normal (an element of her true form like the ears and tail), and the anime stuck to that by emphasising the canines when necessary, whereas it's just a normal grin on the Yen Press cover.

As it stands though, a silhouette/shadow of a girl with ears and a tail over a woodern table, or perhaps even a shot looking past a table, with a money pounch on top, out a window to a moonlit sky would have been more appropriate.
Reading: Rosario and Vampire II, Sankarea
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 09:33   Link #942
mastakilla88

I heard in 14th LN Horo/Holo raped a shota... First... Since there is a shota in S&W? Second: WHAT?
mastakilla88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 09:57   Link #943
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I haven't seen any good english summaries of the novels, so until someone who's read it in Japanese come forward and explains I'd just say it didnt happen.

Its perhaps implied something happened off screen/page and it's been taken the wrong way [see anime episode 13 season 1 were quite a few people thought Horo had done...stuff...with the other wolf, when actually it was a case of she sacrificed her pride and bowed down to him].

From the anime and what I've heard of the characters, it does sound a bit out of character, especially as at the end of the book apparently Horo
Spoiler:

Would be a bit of a wierd way for stuff to tie together, unless someone tried something on, it went awry and because of it Horo was finally able to realise/speak her true feelings.

Either way, Horo doesnt strike me as the sort of character to try something like that.

I'm sure at least one or two people on this forum have read the original japanese novels, and a few of them will have read chapter 14, so would be able to come shed light on this rumour, or explain what actually happens (perhaps Vexx or Kaguya?).
Old 2010-02-21, 10:43   Link #944
AlaAlba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastakilla88 View Post
I heard in 14th LN Horo/Holo raped a shota... First... Since there is a shota in S&W? Second: WHAT?
Spoiler for shota?:

Last edited by AlaAlba; 2010-02-21 at 11:07.
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 13:00   Link #945
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Since I haven't gotten that far in the series, I can't comment. However, AlaAlba, I appreciate you concealing any potential spoilers with your answer/comment... that could have been a major disappointment if I'd found out any truth to that rumor.

But yeah, from what I've seen thus far, I'd have to agree with Tyr... at face value, that kind of behavior seems to not align with her character as it has been developed thus far.

I guess I'll find out when I get to Volume 14!
Old 2010-02-21, 13:07   Link #946
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Since I haven't gotten that far in the series, I can't comment. However, AlaAlba, I appreciate you concealing any potential spoilers with your answer/comment... that could have been a major disappointment if I'd found out any truth to that rumor.

But yeah, from what I've seen thus far, I'd have to agree with Tyr... at face value, that kind of behavior seems to not align with her character as it has been developed thus far.

I guess I'll find out when I get to Volume 14!
Well as AlaAlba appear to have read the novels and says (even if it is a spoiler, this is pretty important) "and Horo doesnt do such thing like rape". It doesn't seem the sort of thing she would do, I mean quite frankly if she WANTED to show this sort of behaviour...well its not like she hasn't had ample chances with Lawrence (in the slightest, hell they sleep in the same room oor cart almost all the time), and I'm pretty sure he's important enough to her she wouldn't do something that silly. If she betrayed him like that, Im pretty sure Lawrence would be, at the least, very badly hurt, considering all the implications of just how seriously he takes thier relationship, and relationships in general, and she knows that. (at this period in history, despite flings, it was pretty normal for marriage and pairings to be from the point of cementing the deal, til death of one partner)

I'd say unless someone comes in and says otherwise, we can discount this
I'd guess the rumour comes from either a mistranslation, or misunderstanding the way something was written or portrayed, much like the scene in episode 13 season 1, which is also meant to be more direct but still a little ambiguous in the book (either that or it came from a Doujin!)
Old 2010-02-21, 13:21   Link #947
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus
I'd say unless someone comes in and says otherwise, we can discount this
I'd guess the rumour comes from either a mistranslation, or misunderstanding the way something was written or portrayed, much like the scene in episode 13 season 1, which is also meant to be more direct but still a little ambiguous in the book (either that or it came from a Doujin!)
Dozin!?! Oh no! Let's not get this going in two threads. Hahahahaha!
Old 2010-02-21, 13:22   Link #948
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I wasn't trying to!
Hope you got the link I dropped you btw!
Old 2010-02-22, 00:18   Link #949
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Haven't read 14 yet... but I'd class it as "bollocks" or "trolling" for now. Internet rumors for the lose....
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 05:17   Link #950
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

lol my thoughts exactly, Ive asked Kaguya if he can clarify what happens, hes already clarified what happens with Lawrence and Horo and its kinda sweet and very in character if I understood his translation 100%, but didnt mention any of the above so as he's definately read it hopefully he will clarify if anything untowards happens.
Old 2010-02-22, 06:22   Link #951
Rajura

Darn my paltry Japanese, by the time I manage to get through the untranslated volumes I have left, it'll probably be out in English.

I MUST refuse the temptation to peek at the spoilers. Of course, it could also be said that I will build it up so much that it cannot meet my expectations and thereby result in disappointment.

Nah! I will be patient, I will take my time... and get there when I get there and just anticipate a good story that is well-written!

*Whew* Almost caved there.
Old 2010-02-23, 15:34   Link #952
Xsio

hi all! (first post on this forum =P)
i've just finished watching the two seasons of the anime and i would really like to start reading the novels.. is the book written just with hiragana and katekana, or with kanji too? i'm quite good at readin hiragana/katekana, but i know just a few kanji... =(
oh, and can you recommend me where can i buy online the books?^^
thank you. xsio
Xsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 15:47   Link #953
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I found them fairly easy on Amazon. I dont know which type of writing they're in I'm afraid.
Old 2010-02-23, 16:20   Link #954
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsio View Post
hi all! (first post on this forum =P)
i've just finished watching the two seasons of the anime and i would really like to start reading the novels.. is the book written just with hiragana and katekana, or with kanji too? i'm quite good at readin hiragana/katekana, but i know just a few kanji... =(
oh, and can you recommend me where can i buy online the books?^^
thank you. xsio
They're targeted for 'late teen and 20-something' - so yes, there's lots of kanji and no furigana to assist. In addition, with all the economics, there's a fair amount of words you may not find in smaller conversational dictionaries.

Its not as tough as the Haruhi series though

You can buy them for exorbitant shipping rates at amazon.co.jp (easiest to find). I recommend either
nippon-export.com, yes-asia.com (english site), or uwajimaya's bookstore.
Old 2010-02-23, 16:36   Link #955
Xsio

thank you for the quick answer! well, i'll give it a shot anyway=)
see you!
xsio
Xsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 10:20   Link #956
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Damn...amazon.co.uk just cancelled my pre-order for Vol2 of Spice and Wolf
"We are no longer able to offer this item for sale. Our supplier has informed us that this item has been discontinued and is no longer available.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused."

Really hope that means the series hasn't been cancelled, although Im hoping it's just a misunderstanding because the book hasn't actually been released yet, so the book hasn't been released to BE discontinued!
Old 2010-02-27, 10:37   Link #957
Rajura

To use a waaaaaaaaay off-topic but always classic quote to express my feelings about this.

"WHAT?!?" -Alucard

Time for me to do some investigating into the matter, this better not be something that ends up ruining (pronounced "rurnin' ") (like ruin but worse) my weekend.

Limited News Update:
I just finished checking out both Yen and RS and there is nothing on their sites to suggest that the S&W novels or manga are slated to be canceled. However, I know that sometimes details get lost in the shuffle, so we'll just have to wait and see. I am sure amazon is just sucking at providing service or feels that their is not enough of a demand in their customer base to merit them stocking it... it would appear to be their loss if that iis the case.

Last edited by Rajura; 2010-02-27 at 12:13. Reason: Update; just noticed a spelling error like 2 hours after the original post
Rajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 10:48   Link #958
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Yep, I'm hoping its just something going on with whoever supplies Spice and Wolf from the US to amazon.co.uk, or amazon being told that because the book wasn't out yet, and the supplier wasnt sure what stock they'd got, they discontinued Amazon's preorders.

I did check the Yen Press site and they still have the 2nd novel listed as for release in June, amazon.com (US site) still lists the book for pre-order too.
Hooray for UK getting shafted again _
Old 2010-02-27, 13:12   Link #959
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah.... I'd say the intermediate distributor fed amazon.co.uk a fat story. Its almost certainly a low volume seller. In the US, last year?, a similar distributor (Diamond) dropped distribution of a bunch of books that had volumes of less than a thousand units a month. It led to the scrambling of a number of manga series to find a new distributor - took months for some of them.

Ask around ... but you may end up having to import it. I've purchased from the UK before (e.g. BBC radio series of HHGTTG), so I can't imagine it being a huge issue.
Old 2010-02-27, 15:40   Link #960
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Amazon have now pretty much confirmed its just an issue with thier supplier, after I sent them an email and pointed it was still available from Amazon.com and showing as to be published on Yen Press (this is some of the response):

"I understand from your message that the item "Spice and Wolf: v. 2" has cancelled from your order #************. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Please know that we had planned on receiving this item from our supplier.
As we are unable to supply this item, it has been cancelled from your order.
Rest assured that you haven't been charged for this cancelled item.

Secondly, I have checked on our website and yes, it is going to be released on June 22, 2010 on publishers website and available as pre-order on our partner website Amazon.com.
Please know that we are just retailer of an item and rely solely on the information provided by supplier.
However, Although "Spice and Wolf: v. 2 (Paperback)" isn't currently available to us, we will be happy to notify you when it becomes available for ordering."

So yeah just seems like some issues with whoever AmazonUK was using to get the book, as, as he even admitted that the book was still showing as to be released by Yen Press, and was still available at Amazon.com.

If worst comes to worst I'll import it from Right Stuf, my slip covered copy of the first one arrived yesterday from them (and my brother now has my original from amazon.co.uk), would just have been easier and cheaper to order it in the UK (plus it reflects there is demand for the novel in the UK)

Tags
holo, light novels, shounen, sienen