AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-02-02, 01:04   Link #21
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Not necessarily true, I think. But before you buy a board, it's probably best to find some reviews about it, for example the "customer comments" section on Newegg.com (even if you're not going to buy it there).

Considering I was building a HTPC though, the M2A-VM HDMI was great for this purpose, with everything I needed included onboard, including even TV outputs. And the built-in video is powerful enough to power Vista's Aero interface.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 03:42   Link #22
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Not necessarily true, I think. But before you buy a board, it's probably best to find some reviews about it, for example the "customer comments" section on Newegg.com (even if you're not going to buy it there).

Considering I was building a HTPC though, the M2A-VM HDMI was great for this purpose, with everything I needed included onboard, including even TV outputs. And the built-in video is powerful enough to power Vista's Aero interface.
Can you give me a link of this board that you speak of I got a little curious..newegg??

Edit: Saw an image of it and I got surprised with the build in video, whats the price range for this??
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 08:12   Link #23
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

The big 3 are your best bet. Asus, Gigabyte and MSI, to a lesser extent DFI, Abit (most AMD gamers use these so they get pushed to extremes) and Foxconn (OEM builder for most big names like Dell, HP etc etc). These guys offer a few important things. Regular BIOS/driver updates which sometimes isn't necessary but sometimes is necessary as the upgraded BIOS may offer additional functionality. A return service particularly the big 3 as if you're not in N.America some of the smaller manfacturers are a PITA to deal with (ECS and Biostar in particular). The good thing with AMD boards is generally the price range between $50-$100SD is so tight, that you can find some really good value stuff.

The M2a is pretty good vale at $75USD. A lot of features really designed for watching movies on a monitor and a big screen tv, which seems to fit yor level of need. IT's a very popular board, has a fairly current chipset and it has AMD quadcore support. This is important so in 2-3 years time when you upgrade, all yo have to do is buy a new processor instead of bying a whole lot of new components. (As yo are finding out now this saves you a lot of $$, time and effort)

AS a side note, what operating system are you planning to run?
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2008-02-02 at 08:27.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 09:58   Link #24
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
The big 3 are your best bet. Asus, Gigabyte and MSI, to a lesser extent DFI, Abit (most AMD gamers use these so they get pushed to extremes) and Foxconn (OEM builder for most big names like Dell, HP etc etc). These guys offer a few important things. Regular BIOS/driver updates which sometimes isn't necessary but sometimes is necessary as the upgraded BIOS may offer additional functionality. A return service particularly the big 3 as if you're not in N.America some of the smaller manfacturers are a PITA to deal with (ECS and Biostar in particular). The good thing with AMD boards is generally the price range between $50-$100SD is so tight, that you can find some really good value stuff.

The M2a is pretty good vale at $75USD. A lot of features really designed for watching movies on a monitor and a big screen tv, which seems to fit yor level of need. IT's a very popular board, has a fairly current chipset and it has AMD quadcore support. This is important so in 2-3 years time when you upgrade, all yo have to do is buy a new processor instead of bying a whole lot of new components. (As yo are finding out now this saves you a lot of $$, time and effort)

AS a side note, what operating system are you planning to run?
Wow now I'm getting influenced to buy a AMD in a good way I'm starting to like AMD since its so cheap and does its work..
Err about the os still xp cause the vista is expensive...unless my friend buys one I could borrow he's cd/dvd.....is that legal?
Old 2008-02-02, 10:27   Link #25
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

No, not legal.

If you have XP yo're fine. I just didn't want yo u to build a PC and then realise you don't have $$ for a MS operating system. Unless you were using Linux anyway.

Highly recommended buy
http://store.nvidia.com/servlet/Secu...38800&Env=BASE
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2008-02-02 at 11:36.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 20:41   Link #26
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
No, not legal.

If you have XP yo're fine. I just didn't want yo u to build a PC and then realise you don't have $$ for a MS operating system. Unless you were using Linux anyway.

Highly recommended buy
http://store.nvidia.com/servlet/Secu...38800&Env=BASE
Ok, I guess Xp is my os then...

With all this info, I got impressed with amd thanks for all the recommendation....

Problem Solved