AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-01, 22:35   Link #81
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
eeech, the ammount of ignorance on this subject so far is just sad. No offence, but do a bit of reading before you start preaching.
No offense, but it'd be nice to point out where the ignorance is. I can shoot phrases like that you just posted out of my ass at any time of the day on any subject imaginable, but it doesn't hold much ground unless I back it up with a barely serious argument.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 15:34   Link #82
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Holy........

http://http://www.economist.com/world/international/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10609174

The economist published an article on Anonymous.Oh.....my.......god.The End is near.Something is very wrong in this world if 4chan appears in the economist.

This is getting hilarious.
Old 2008-02-02, 20:08   Link #83
Gemstar
Banned

That vid was creepy and weird o.o , how are we suppose to know if to believe them or not ? I didn't understand one thing that anonomous said , excpet something to destroy. I'm guessing this guy wants something. If he is so sure of all these things he has said why advertise it ? AHA ! ok case busted !
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 06:42   Link #84
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru Send a message via Skype™ to Takeru
I actually went and read up on scientology because of this thread, and now, I'm scared. I'm mortified by them. This is in no way a religion.
Old 2008-02-03, 09:21   Link #85
wao
OK.

I'm still on the fence regarding The Anonymous - I've felt a bit threatened by them at one point (although that was really my own immaturity, and oversensitivity) and I don't like the kind of sickening hypocrisy they practise sometimes. I have seen the kind of shit vippers and co. do, but well...

The only thing that will show whether this is a "good" group of Anonymous and not the same as your usual group of idiotic 14 year olds is time, I guess. Despite everything I can't help but feel a little excited at watching it going on from a distance - and yeah, it must be the end of the world if Anonymous is on the Economist. Shit.

I feel so bad for saying this, but I can't wait to see what happens next. Ah damn. And also I can't bring myself to hate Anonymous that much because frankly speaking, I think most Anonymous faults are really problems that lie somewhere in many of us.

EDIT: I also can't help but be reminded of how those Souka Gakkai videos were removed from niconico but people will come back and reupload them - although the most reuploaded video in question really wasn't worth the effort, but I suppose everyone can set aside a little time to make their own My Revolution if they really cared...
Old 2008-02-03, 09:58   Link #86
Daughter!

I think that we are all overshadowing the fact that when /b/ does something like this, it's usually not to be taken seriously.
Daughter! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 11:04   Link #87
Rookie103

4Chan vs Church of Scientology?
Rookie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 16:14   Link #88
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop-Punk Sucks View Post
I think that we are all overshadowing the fact that when /b/ does something like this, it's usually not to be taken seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie103 View Post
4Chan vs Church of Scientology?
No, it's not /b/ that's leading this, and no, it's not 4Chan that's leading this. When it started out it was just a mix of various *Chans and a few other internet groups, but it's grown into something quite different. Quite a few people from areas of life aside from the internet have joined into the efforts. These aren't 14 year-olds with nothing better to do, these are people with families and jobs who feel that it's important.
Old 2008-02-04, 08:53   Link #89
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
I actually went and read up on scientology because of this thread, and now, I'm scared. I'm mortified by them. This is in no way a religion.
Agree with you on that, it's a rather disturbing belief...best not to get involved with those people imo.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2008-02-04 at 09:06.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 10:10   Link #90
Kristen
*Author

So, today I was just leaving my math class when I saw a sign up saying "Scientology". So, I read it, and sure enough it was one of those anon vs scientology things.

I guess this whole war really is spreading itself out. I thought that most of this was in just the major cities.
Old 2008-02-05, 21:24   Link #91
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Although it's only a silly comedic relief, it'd be nice to point out this awesome flash movie. It's long and it takes a bit of time to finish loading, but it's bloody brilliant, and probably one of the best Flash animations I've seen to date, especially considering the simpleness they used in the approach.

Old 2008-02-05, 21:36   Link #92
ApostleOfGod
^.^

"Man is an immortal, spiritual being. His experience extends well beyond a single lifetime. His capabilities are unlimited, even if not presently realized — and those capabilities can be realized. He is able to not only solve his own problems, accomplish his goals and gain lasting happiness, but also achieve new, higher states of awareness and ability.

In Scientology no one is asked to accept anything as belief or on faith. That which is true for you is what you have observed to be true. An individual discovers for himself that Scientology works by personally applying its principles and observing or experiencing results.

Through Scientology, people all over the world are achieving the long-sought goal of true spiritual release and freedom. " -Scientology.org

I'm sure everyone has come across it at some point, but just a brief reminder. I personally find Scientology... *interesting*. I don't know much about the belief system itself, especially when it says that nothing is to be accepted as belief or on faith. With that said, I think that makes Scientology nothing more than an ideal. An ideal which means seeking truth, yet claiming things like man is immortal. -_-.... I've seen dead people before... I think..?

In any case, Scientology is still alive and somewhat recognized due to big names. Tom Cruise is one of them. I can really see why people would adopt such a liberal and unorganized (IMO) belief, but that just gets me to question: What's the point of this religion even existing?
Thus, Scientology.... Heh I can't think of a good finish... Umm... No comment?

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 23:17   Link #93
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
"Man is an immortal, spiritual being. His experience extends well beyond a single lifetime. His capabilities are unlimited, even if not presently realized — and those capabilities can be realized. He is able to not only solve his own problems, accomplish his goals and gain lasting happiness, but also achieve new, higher states of awareness and ability.

In Scientology no one is asked to accept anything as belief or on faith. That which is true for you is what you have observed to be true. An individual discovers for himself that Scientology works by personally applying its principles and observing or experiencing results.

Through Scientology, people all over the world are achieving the long-sought goal of true spiritual release and freedom. " -Scientology.org
That's a lot of BS put out by the PR department. I know people have gone to the CoS and were told that their previous beliefs (such as the belief in Jesus Christ and all) were compatible with Scientology. Not too far into the teachings, however, they're taught that the Bible was actually a mistake - some of "the tech" (alien technology, as Hubbard later descibes - this includes the E-meter, which is really just a lie detector) was discovered and people mistook it for being God, Jesus, and all sorts of other things that are basically all other world religions. I don't really have a problem with the fact that one religion is claiming that another's beliefs are false - that's inevitable. I have a problem with the fact that people are told that their previous beliefs are fine, and then as they progress into the program they're told that their previous beliefs were a lie. That's a tactic known as bait-and-switch, and it's a scam tactic. It's just one of the many that the CoS employs.

Quote:
I'm sure everyone has come across it at some point, but just a brief reminder. I personally find Scientology... *interesting*. I don't know much about the belief system itself, especially when it says that nothing is to be accepted as belief or on faith. With that said, I think that makes Scientology nothing more than an ideal. An ideal which means seeking truth, yet claiming things like man is immortal. -_-.... I've seen dead people before... I think..?
It sounds ideal. As I and I believe a few others have remarked in this thread, the real beliefs of Scientology are as follows: humans used to be ruled by an evil alien overlord called Xenu, who attempted to deal with overpopulation by bringing us all to Earth, stuffing us into a volcano, and then blowing us up with a bomb. This has caused alien parasites, called "body thetans" to affix themselves to us, and these traumatized parasites are the reason why we experience pain, suffering, and virtually all hardship in life. If you can rid yourself of body thetans (BTs) you can fly and control matter itself.

You will never hear those beliefs from an active CoS member, ever. They will deny that as being part of their religion fiercely. That information isn't available until you've paid thousands of dollars and progressed to the upper levels of their teachings. By then you're probably good and brainwashed, and a story like that won't make you think that these people are all nuts. It's in their policy to never admit to that. It's funny, because I heard a radio broadcast featuring Mark Bunker, a well-known critic of the CoS. During the show a Scientologist called up and asked why they were criticising her religion. Mark asked her what "level" she was at, and then asked her if she'd ever heard of body thetans or Xenu. She responded as if he were crazy and said she'd never heard of it. Mark responded that he doesn't have a problem with Scientology, but that they shouldn't be lying - body thetans and Xenu are described in their own documents, and unless the Scientologist had lied about her level she should have read about them or at least heard of them. The CoS could get away with those garbage tactics before, when they sued anyone who got hold of their teachings without being a member, but now the texts are well-dispered around the internet. Anyone could look it up and see for themselves that this woman and any other high-level Scientologist who denied those teachings was a liar.

So OK, maybe you can get past their crazy story involving Xenu and how we all came to be. Maybe you can also get past the fact that the creator of Scientology was a science fiction writer who said that the best way to make money was to start a religion. Maybe you can get past the fact that you need to pay for those religious texts, and that the creator of Scientology was convicted by the government for fraud and infiltrating the IRS (his wife ended up serving time; the creator ran away). If you can get past that, that's perfectly fine, but how can you get by the fact that people participating in the religion are liars? What are they trying to hide? And you see, that part bothers me. I don't mind if someone tells me they believe we're here because of aliens - it's not really more far-fetched than hearing that there was a war in heaven, and ever since then the devil is out to get us all because we're God's favored creation. But I've never heard a Christian, a Jew, or a Muslim hide God, the core of their religion, from me. A religion that hides their main belief... why are they doing that? It's very suspicious, and it reeks of fraud to me.

Quote:
In any case, Scientology is still alive and somewhat recognized due to big names. Tom Cruise is one of them. I can really see why people would adopt such a liberal and unorganized (IMO) belief, but that just gets me to question: What's the point of this religion even existing?
Thus, Scientology.... Heh I can't think of a good finish... Umm... No comment?
Scientology exists to scam people, brainwash them into cash cows, and make money. I finished it for you.
Old 2008-02-06, 05:04   Link #94
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Scientology exists to scam people, brainwash them into cash cows, and make money. I finished it for you.
Though sadly, their tactics do work on some people.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 05:12   Link #95
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Though sadly, their tactics do work on some people.
They do work, on a lot of people. They usually target weak-willed persons with serious emotional problems, such as drug addicts. They start as a simple "self-help" group, and end up sucking you into their scam. It's sad, very sad.

Old 2008-02-06, 12:21   Link #96
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

What is really amazing is that this thread hasn't been infested by their "agents" who seem to have a lot of free time to roam the Internet derailing these little spotlights on their con game.
Old 2008-02-06, 14:28   Link #97
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
They do work, on a lot of people. They usually target weak-willed persons with serious emotional problems, such as drug addicts. They start as a simple "self-help" group, and end up sucking you into their scam. It's sad, very sad.
This is true: they have to organizations, the Narcanon and the Criminon, which deal with drug addicts and criminals respectively. These are organizations that are made out as self-help organizations, but they're a gateway to Scientology. It's not so different from Scientology itself, really.

The CoS itself doesn't get all of its members that way, though. We all experience times of weakness, and during those times we may feel that we need to become a part of something greater, or that we need something more in our lives. Scientology aims to wedge itself into your life during those times. They're not keeping files on everyone, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were carefully watching a number of celebrities. When those celebrities go through a rough spot in their career, the CoS would send out representatives - perhaps other celebrities, like Tom Cruise or John Travolta - and get people into it.

The greatest protection against these underhanded tactics is to make people aware of what the true beliefs behind Scientology are. If people want to believe it that's perfectly fine, but nobody should be lied to about it and brainwashed into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
What is really amazing is that this thread hasn't been infested by their "agents" who seem to have a lot of free time to roam the Internet derailing these little spotlights on their con game.
I guess they're still largely tied up on Usenet I've seen one posting on a blog - he was outed because apparently he uses the name alias all over the internet (terryeo and then four numbers or so - once outed he spoke normally and seemed to be familiar with some of the other critics posting there. Perhaps they chase each other around the internet to constantly defy the opposing statements). If you google for the name you'll see that half the stuff he writes is just copying and pasting the same thing over and over. But it's also sad, because you realize that this is an operative from the CoS' OSA (their security agency of sorts, although they seem to behave more like the CIA) and yet some of what he writes almost sounds as if he were some new convert. Things like "my friends just got into it and they say it's the best thing that's ever happened to them, I just tried it yesterday and I think it's great so far!" - the sort of things that advertisements do. Compared to the lies that the CoS puts up in general that's pretty minor, but it just keeps contributing to making the CoS (and Scientology in general) seem incredibly shady.
Old 2008-02-06, 14:35   Link #98
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

I'm far too lazy to read all of this thread. However, I hope the Church of Scientology does go down. It made me sad watching what they did to Clearwater (the home city of Scientology, which is about 10 mins away from my home). That place went from a normal city to a bunch of zombie like people, wearing suits, wandering around in packs, preaching scientology to anyone not initiated in it already (oh yes, they know if you believe or not). Oh well, it'll be fun to just see if anything becomes of this.
Old 2008-02-06, 21:54   Link #99
tokumei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aKwPRYRmk8

アノニマスから新しいビデオー

知識は自由です。
我々はアノニマス。
我々は大群です。
許しはしない。
忘れはしない。
我々を待ち受けなさい
tokumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 22:27   Link #100
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
That's a lot of BS put out by the PR department. I know people have gone to the CoS and were told that their previous beliefs (such as the belief in Jesus Christ and all) were compatible with Scientology. Not too far into the teachings, however, they're taught that the Bible was actually a mistake - some of "the tech" (alien technology, as Hubbard later descibes - this includes the E-meter, which is really just a lie detector) was discovered and people mistook it for being God, Jesus, and all sorts of other things that are basically all other world religions. I don't really have a problem with the fact that one religion is claiming that another's beliefs are false - that's inevitable. I have a problem with the fact that people are told that their previous beliefs are fine, and then as they progress into the program they're told that their previous beliefs were a lie. That's a tactic known as bait-and-switch, and it's a scam tactic. It's just one of the many that the CoS employs.

It sounds ideal. As I and I believe a few others have remarked in this thread, the real beliefs of Scientology are as follows: humans used to be ruled by an evil alien overlord called Xenu, who attempted to deal with overpopulation by bringing us all to Earth, stuffing us into a volcano, and then blowing us up with a bomb. This has caused alien parasites, called "body thetans" to affix themselves to us, and these traumatized parasites are the reason why we experience pain, suffering, and virtually all hardship in life. If you can rid yourself of body thetans (BTs) you can fly and control matter itself.

You will never hear those beliefs from an active CoS member, ever. They will deny that as being part of their religion fiercely. That information isn't available until you've paid thousands of dollars and progressed to the upper levels of their teachings. By then you're probably good and brainwashed, and a story like that won't make you think that these people are all nuts. It's in their policy to never admit to that. It's funny, because I heard a radio broadcast featuring Mark Bunker, a well-known critic of the CoS. During the show a Scientologist called up and asked why they were criticising her religion. Mark asked her what "level" she was at, and then asked her if she'd ever heard of body thetans or Xenu. She responded as if he were crazy and said she'd never heard of it. Mark responded that he doesn't have a problem with Scientology, but that they shouldn't be lying - body thetans and Xenu are described in their own documents, and unless the Scientologist had lied about her level she should have read about them or at least heard of them. The CoS could get away with those garbage tactics before, when they sued anyone who got hold of their teachings without being a member, but now the texts are well-dispered around the internet. Anyone could look it up and see for themselves that this woman and any other high-level Scientologist who denied those teachings was a liar.

So OK, maybe you can get past their crazy story involving Xenu and how we all came to be. Maybe you can also get past the fact that the creator of Scientology was a science fiction writer who said that the best way to make money was to start a religion. Maybe you can get past the fact that you need to pay for those religious texts, and that the creator of Scientology was convicted by the government for fraud and infiltrating the IRS (his wife ended up serving time; the creator ran away). If you can get past that, that's perfectly fine, but how can you get by the fact that people participating in the religion are liars? What are they trying to hide? And you see, that part bothers me. I don't mind if someone tells me they believe we're here because of aliens - it's not really more far-fetched than hearing that there was a war in heaven, and ever since then the devil is out to get us all because we're God's favored creation. But I've never heard a Christian, a Jew, or a Muslim hide God, the core of their religion, from me. A religion that hides their main belief... why are they doing that? It's very suspicious, and it reeks of fraud to me.

Sounds like someone knows their Scientology! Haha jks...

But really, yeah you know Scientology better than I do I guess... That's probably why I wasn't able to finish my thoughts ?

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote