AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-10, 04:22   Link #481
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada/Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Which volume does that happen in? ^_^
__________________

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 15:49   Link #482
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Which volume does that happen in? ^_^
Volume 19. It rather troubles Senkawa too .
Spoiler for Volume 19:


It also happens in volume 20 as well, much to Senkawa's dismay

Spoiler for Volume 20:


Oh yeah, also... "Tetsuwan Birdy" has now offically ended with volume 20! However, it'll be followed up by "Birdy the Mighty - Evolution" in with Senkawa and Birdy's adventures continues...
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 17:29   Link #483
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada/Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Ah...

Shame it's that short. XP
__________________

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 18:20   Link #484
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Shame it's that short. XP
Which, Senkawa's dream(s) or the manga itself?
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 19:02   Link #485
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada/Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
The former. I want MOOOARRRR!!!!
__________________

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 02:44   Link #486
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
The former. I want MOOOARRRR!!!!
. Well, the scenes are a bit longe rin thre manga - and additionally, since Tetsuwan Birdy is a seinen manga, it does also mean we have quite a few "mature" situations to boot (if it's smut or the like you want, well, then there's aplenty of nakedness for one thing - Birdy seems to have little to no shyness as far as such thigns are concerned - and plenty other situations too <_<).
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 10:35   Link #487
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Yeah, I'd like to see this topic explored more in the anime, too. After all, it must be more than a little embarrassing for Senkawa to have a busty girl inside his body, privy to all of the "private" thoughts and drives someone in his age group would naturally have. The material seems to strike just the right tonal balance between seriousness and humor that it would take these issues on most entertainingly.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 10:53   Link #488
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Normally you would think that, right?

But Senkawa isn't a normal person
I can't believe how he didn't one think (in the anime) about his current situation...being trapped inside a beauty like Birdy...I would die from bloodloss if she looked into the mirror naked...yet we never had any scenes like that with Senkawa showing at least some interest...

Pathetic ne?
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 21:09   Link #489
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I prefer to think those thoughts were thunk (Senkawa struck me as an endearingly normal kid in most other ways) and just never made it onto the screen...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 23:06   Link #490
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
Yeah, I'd like to see this topic explored more in the anime, too. After all, it must be more than a little embarrassing for Senkawa to have a busty girl inside his body, privy to all of the "private" thoughts and drives someone in his age group would naturally have.
Haha, you bet it is :
Spoiler for embarrasing -'morning rise':


Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
The material seems to strike just the right tonal balance between seriousness and humor that it would take these issues on most entertainingly.
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
Normally you would think that, right?

But Senkawa isn't a normal person
I can't believe how he didn't one think (in the anime) about his current situation...being trapped inside a beauty like Birdy...I would die from bloodloss if she looked into the mirror naked...yet we never had any scenes like that with Senkawa showing at least some interest...

Pathetic ne?
Haha, well, the manga does tackle the issuse though:
- Senkawa is often enough terribly embarrased at the times he and Birdy takes a bath and especially when he's looking into the mirror there because he knows that doing so means that Birdy can see him nude
- likewise, he gets sorta flustered when it's Birdy that takes control in the bath (which she often does, considering the foundness she develops for bathing), because then he can see her nude, especially whens he looks into a mirror
- and of coruse it also leads to a few humorous situations, like the fact that when Birdy enters the women's bath, it means that he can see everything she sees, making him quite flustered as well (and Birdy having no idea of why he's flustered!) .

And so on, though I'd say that the dreams are the best indication of interest on his part through. As far as his "lack of interest" goes, maybe one could explain it with the fact that he has not yet entered puberty? Or perhaps he's just suffering from a case of a bit of a late sexual awakening?
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 23:07   Link #491
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada/Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Someone oughta do a fanfic based on that. XP
__________________

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 23:16   Link #492
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
Haha, well, the manga does tackle the issuse though:
- Senkawa is often enough terribly embarrased at the times he and Birdy takes a bath and especially when he's looking into the mirror there because he knows that doing so means that Birdy can see him nude
- likewise, he gets sorta flustered when it's Birdy that takes control in the bath (which she often does, considering the foundness she develops for bathing), because then he can see her nude, especially whens he looks into a mirror
- and of coruse it also leads to a few humorous situations, like the fact that when Birdy enters the women's bath, it means that he can see everything she sees, making him quite flustered as well (and Birdy having no idea of why he's flustered!) .

And so on, though I'd say that the dreams are the best indication of interest on his part through. As far as his "lack of interest" goes, maybe one could explain it with the fact that he has not yet entered puberty? Or perhaps he's just suffering from a case of a bit of a late sexual awakening?
Well, Senkawa is supposed to about 16, isn't he? That would be one seriously delayed sexual awakening. I think the scenes you quoted from the manga show that this isn't the case - it's just a subject the anime decided to leave off the table, at least for now. Kinda like Senkawa's freckles - who knew?
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 23:49   Link #493
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae
Someone oughta do a fanfic based on that. XP
I'm sure that someone in Japan have already made a doujin or the like based on it, or a picture or two at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
Well, Senkawa is supposed to about 16, isn't he? That would be one seriously delayed sexual awakening.
Oh, I dunno, I've hard of cases where the person in question didn't sexually awaken before around 30 something. It has to sorta to do with what you're focusing on in life, sorta; with more people these days focusing on studying and making carrers and other stuff, late sexual awakenings are becoming more usual - or so I hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
I think the scenes you quoted from the manga show that this isn't the case - it's just a subject the anime decided to leave off the table, at least for now. Kinda like Senkawa's freckles - who knew?
Well, anyone who has read the manga . But I get your point. And you're probably right...
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 09:15   Link #494
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
Oh, I dunno, I've hard of cases where the person in question didn't sexually awaken before around 30 something. It has to sorta to do with what you're focusing on in life, sorta; with more people these days focusing on studying and making carrers and other stuff, late sexual awakenings are becoming more usual - or so I hear
Uh, I wouldn't believe that one period. Puberty and all that happens with it occurs at the appropriate age if you are physiologically normal. There are no hints in this anime that Senkawa is abnormal. The anime is just choosing not to dwell on topics that can be found in romantic comedies and not action titles.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 13:09   Link #495
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Uh, I wouldn't believe that one period. Puberty and all that happens with it occurs at the appropriate age if you are physiologically normal. There are no hints in this anime that Senkawa is abnormal. The anime is just choosing not to dwell on topics that can be found in romantic comedies and not action titles.
I believe you're correct about the anime, but I think it's a missed opportunity for two big reasons. First, the relationship between Birdy and Senkawa is a legitimately interesting one. She teases him in a sort of big-sisterly way, but there's a genuine affection and protectiveness there - what started out as feelings of guilt for her obviously grew into something much more real. There's also an underlying whiff of sexual tension. Those things combined make for an interesting whole.

Second, the massive under-utilization of the shared body concept in the anime. When you strip away the more conventional aspects of the series, that concept is the main dramatic driver of the story - the convention that sets it apart. Not touching on the obvious emotional complications of that experience ignores much of the possibility that could be mined from the premise. Clearly, the manga doesn't make this mistake. I'm not saying this should be a drowsy slice-of-life comedy - I like all the action just fine. But adding the emotional and even romantic entanglements inherent in the premise to the final product would take the anime to another level. Hopefully we'll see more of that in season two.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 22:54   Link #496
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I believe you're correct about the anime, but I think it's a missed opportunity for two big reasons. First, the relationship between Birdy and Senkawa is a legitimately interesting one. She teases him in a sort of big-sisterly way, but there's a genuine affection and protectiveness there - what started out as feelings of guilt for her obviously grew into something much more real. There's also an underlying whiff of sexual tension. Those things combined make for an interesting whole.

Second, the massive under-utilization of the shared body concept in the anime. When you strip away the more conventional aspects of the series, that concept is the main dramatic driver of the story - the convention that sets it apart. Not touching on the obvious emotional complications of that experience ignores much of the possibility that could be mined from the premise. Clearly, the manga doesn't make this mistake. I'm not saying this should be a drowsy slice-of-life comedy - I like all the action just fine. But adding the emotional and even romantic entanglements inherent in the premise to the final product would take the anime to another level. Hopefully we'll see more of that in season two.
Well, even in the manga, the main focus is action (no volume goes by without Birdy getting into one fight or another - and if it's not her doing the fightnig then someone else ), but indeed, the anime choose to not focus a lot on their relationship and the circumstaqnces around it, instead focusing on the whole Ryunka-plot of theirs <_<. Ah well, maybe they'll do a better job of focusing on thir relationship and it's circumstances (etc) in the next season indeed, althrough I have my doubts abut them being able to do that .

Ah well... I do rather like one thing about the anime though: so far in the manga, Senkawa hasn't gotten to visit Birdy's homeplanet like he did in episode 4-5 - so far all we have seen so far of her homeplanet is mostly in the chapters concering Birdy's past as well as in those instances where Megius and Skeletsu becomes the focus of the story (mostly because they're discussing Birdy of course).
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 17:10   Link #497
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Sooo, with the new season expected to come January, what are peoples expectations? I'm personally hoping for more nice action scenes, and development in the Tsutomu/Birdy corner. Also, I'd like to know just what is up with Birdy's past.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 17:39   Link #498
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
My main hope is that we see more of the awkwardness/intimacy of the shared body concept - as there is in the manga.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 17:41   Link #499
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Also, I'd like to know just what is up with Birdy's past.
If we don't see a third season, then i'm pretty sure that will be covered in the second season. Very sure.

As for what i want to see, i'm with Guardian Enzo --- along with some nice action scenes. We had a few decent ones in the first, more like that please.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 10:01   Link #500
evil-samurai
......
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Age: 27
The series on a whole was alright, boring & frustrating sometimes and other times I simply loved it. Animation was top-notch, it had its up and downs but overall the fight scenes with Birdy Awesome!!

Personally I thought they gave way too much to to Nakasugi, considering she isn't even going to show up in Season 2 (I guess) You'd think the time would be better off developing the Birdy and Senkawa side of things. The didn't really give it as much time as it should of had. So I'm hoping that season 2 will show more interaction between the two main characters. Cant say I had much love for Senkawa, though he played the role of a 'average guy' he annoyed me a bit, with a little bit too much complaining, though that did seem to disappear a bit more into the series. I liked how Shyamalan played the apparently normal but twisted nut job, it worked well.

Birdy was the hook of the show for me as I'm sure it was with many other people. Birdy made the show, it wasn't just with fight scenes, her whole personality and plot related scenes were a bright light in the show. Every time they had the show more focused on Birdy, it kick As*! loking forwad to more of her next season.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, sci-fi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.