AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-02, 18:03   Link #21
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Why all this talk of politics? Isn't the purpose of the Olympics to put aside politics for a while and take part in a friendly and global competition?
Probably because even the nomination and selection processes are infected with politics. And China wanting to organize Olympics is, I guess, itself a highly political decision.

Right now, the big question is, how many medals the Chinese athletes will win. Most likely China has been training a small army of athletes using the old Soviet Union methods; we will see how the experimental subjects will answer to such 24/7 training processes (might be exaggeration, but I guess the Chinese Government would accept nothing less).
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 01:55   Link #22
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Or it could leave the host city very deeply in the red.

The Montreal Olympics of 1976 lost so much money that Los Angeles' bid for the 1984 Games went uncontested. The 1984 Games marked the beginning of multi-million dolloar corporate sponsorships, which was when the Olympics Games truly started to become a profitable affair. Before the 1980s, cities weren't actually that keen to host the Games because of the huge costs involved.

Come to think of it, the 1980s marked a pivotal time in international sports as a whole, not just for the Olympic Games. Based on my own memories, this was the decade that the English Premier League (Liverpool's golden era) and the NBA (Lakers vs Celtics) started to rake in big money from TV advertising.
I feel bad for Montreal now >.<. I know having estimated at only 300 million and having spent 1.5billion total on the project too and 4 countries pulled out too, that's a terrible deal.

I hope that don't happen in the 2008 ^_^. I seen that China has been preparing for this since they were chosen to host the next one too.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 04:22   Link #23
solomon

When I think of lost money, i think of NBC's major screwing over from the loss of Moscow back in 80, but that's just me.

I'm looking forward to it. In america they show everything but most popular stuff is shown on national terrestrial network NBC so I just watch that.

All the other stuff is shown LIVE on digital cable networks.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 05:34   Link #24
boggart
鍵っ子

I don't know why I'm excited about getting 5.1ch sound for the HDTV broadcast of the Olympics... I guess so I can listen to the splashing of the water around me in the Rowing... woohoo? 6O_o
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 01:59   Link #25
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Or it could leave the host city very deeply in the red.

The Montreal Olympics of 1976 lost so much money that Los Angeles' bid for the 1984 Games went uncontested. The 1984 Games marked the beginning of multi-million dolloar corporate sponsorships, which was when the Olympics Games truly started to become a profitable affair. Before the 1980s, cities weren't actually that keen to host the Games because of the huge costs involved.

Come to think of it, the 1980s marked a pivotal time in international sports as a whole, not just for the Olympic Games. Based on my own memories, this was the decade that the English Premier League (Liverpool's golden era) and the NBA (Lakers vs Celtics) started to rake in big money from TV advertising.
Actually, I've read that the first city to ever record a profit from the Olympics was Atlanta in 1996.

The opening ceremony is exactly one week from now.

I'll probably finally watch the opening ceremony this time around since the Beijing Olympics seem intriguing.
tenken627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 03:13   Link #26
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
the rehersal of the openign ceremony was leaked XD
I just saw a small part of it and now I'm really considering to watch the opening cause it looked awsome, I haven't seen everything of it but what I saw looked spectaculair as expected from China =3
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 12:02   Link #27
shelter
Every word must conjure

Send a message via MSN to shelter
Knowing the Chinese government & all the political haze surrounding these last few months, I think they'll want the opening ceremony to be nothing less than perfect.

For the effort alone, I think it will be worth the time on the 8th of August to see the spectacle. But I think the most interesting thing about this opening ceremony is watching how the Chinese, in all their creativity, integrate their own history into the symbolism of the Olympics - through song, dance & performance.
shelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 14:08   Link #28
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
7 more days!!

I can't wait ^^ and i've been waiting 4 years too.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 14:49   Link #29
mg1942

I'd watch USA dominate basketball in stunning clarity of HDTV + 5.1 sound.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 17:44   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just to add something positive, whatever I think about the government and such -- the people of China are clearly pretty proud to be hosting the Olympics and it always makes me smile when I hear things like an interview I heard this morning with a cabbie who is going out of his way to practice English so he'll give a good impression of the Chinese people to visitors (notice I didn't say the PRC government).

Whatever else is tainted or screwed up about the Olympics - it is clearly an emotional boost to many of the average people of China that the world is coming to visit them.

It is too bad many of their leaders and enforcement divisions are being such dilweeds over a number of aspects surrounding the athletic festival.
Old 2008-08-01, 18:04   Link #31
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
I'd watch USA dominate basketball in stunning clarity of HDTV + 5.1 sound.
I don't know, America has done awful the last few years in the international competitions (FIFA and the Athens Olympics). There is a reason the media has labled the current team the "Redeem Team".
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 12:12   Link #32
Green²
It's Magic

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7702001
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...KDmFQz29yrILuw

...Air pollution. So how bad is it? Every day now the media has some report about the air quality of it being, not great. But all we ever get is a filler answer of the label "Pollution".

"However the International Olympic Committee's medical commission chairman, Arne Ljungqvist, said pollution levels were not as bad as first feared and blamed the media for exaggerating the issue.

"I'm confident the air quality will not prove to pose major problems to the athletes and to the visitors in Beijing," Ljungqvist said."

I really hate the way the media is handling this, as it still leaves me with question of what is really in the air, and of what health problems it could cause. Yet the International Olympic Committee is full of shit. As that, and the data is where?
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 12:18   Link #33
Zoned87
Mr. Awesome

China is a country run by corrupt communist toads who only want to showcase how glorious they are by bulldozing homes to set up a large fake movie stage around the Olympic area at the expense of their own people. They somehow believe by wearing this mask that it will change international opinion of them.

And if they honesty believe they are going to clean up Beijing in time they are crazy. If anybody has ever seen Steven King's movie "the mist" the whole city is like that all the time.
Zoned87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 12:35   Link #34
tenken627
what Yagi said

Which is why other countries' outdoor athletes have been doing their training before the games start in other areas outside of China, such as Komatsu, Japan and Cheju-Do (Cheju Island), South Korea as well as Singapore.

China's Environmental Ministry released "Blue Sky over Beijing with Olympics 5 Days Away" on the same day as this picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoned87 View Post
And if they honesty believe they are going to clean up Beijing in time they are crazy. If anybody has ever seen Steven King's movie "the mist" the whole city is like that all the time.
To be fair, I've heard that the "haze" is considerably less than it used to be a year ago. And reports of a week ago showed that there was indeed clear beautiful blue skies for a few days. It seems that the "haze" currently comes and goes, and is not as consistent day-to-day as it used to be.
Old 2008-08-05, 12:46   Link #35
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

what's not so great is once they olympics are over, the city's gonna be shrouded in smog again.

I'm wondering if the people will rise up and keep demanding clean air again after the olympics.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 12:48   Link #36
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
what's not so great is once they olympics are over, the city's gonna be shrouded in smog again.

I'm wondering if the people will rise up and keep demanding clean air again after the olympics.
It's not like China has a monopoly on smog.

This picture of Los Angeles was taken not too long ago:

Old 2008-08-05, 12:51   Link #37
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
It's not like China has a monopoly on smog.

This picture of Los Angeles was taken not too long ago:
But at least LA is forced to warn citizens of the pollutant level, as well as attempt to "clean" the area, or at least prevent the damage from growing. China has no such rules (well, Hong Kong does, I think, but they are special), and they have only recently started a warning system to help lessen some of the smog/pollution related casualties.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 12:59   Link #38
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
But at least LA is forced to warn citizens of the pollutant level, as well as attempt to "clean" the area, or at least prevent the damage from growing. China has no such rules (well, Hong Kong does, I think, but they are special), and they have only recently started a warning system to help lessen some of the smog/pollution related casualties.
That is true.

I'm not sure if they have different regulations in Hong Kong, since it is a Special Administrative Zone rather than an actual province. Maybe someone else can inform us more clearly.

Hong Kong is more of a financial-based city rather than a manufacturing one like Beijing and Los Angeles, so it shouldn't have the pollution problems like the other two either way.

And AFAIK, there is no guarantee that China will try to combat their heavy pollution after the Olympics.
Old 2008-08-05, 13:19   Link #39
Gemstar
Banned

What are the events they have in the Olympics ? For e.g swimming and running I know there's more...
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 13:23   Link #40
tenken627
what Yagi said

Archery
Athletics (Track and Field)
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Beach Volleyball
Boxing
Canoe/Kayak Flatwater