AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-08-05, 13:26   Link #41
james0246

And of those, there is something like 303 actual contests ('heats') before the various winners are awarded their medals.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 13:55   Link #42
X10A_Freedom

Hong Kong is rather polluted in fact. We have an overabundance of Diesel double deckers (despite each bus meeting European emission standards at time of purchase) and of course, Guandong Province is right next door which some people call the world's workshop.

As for the Pollution...quoting from the BBC.
Quote:
* New tough EU-standard emissions levels were introduced for cars in March
* From 20 July, traffic driving into Beijing has been restricted
* Factories and other industrial plants are being ordered to stop work or stagger opening times
* Coal-burning boilers are being replaced
While pollution in China is undenyingly bad, wind farms are popping up across China at a rate faster than you could imagine. None of that time-wasting stuff I've read about in the UK. All coal-burning boilers in Beijing is due to be replaced with a revolutionary lean-burning boiler which leaves the soot where the fire is...rather than expelling them. China is growing rapidly...I bet no one remembers that London was worse than Beijing in the 1950s. At least the Chinese seem to have realised the pollution problem and have started to rectify things quickly.

I will most definately watch the opening ceremony and hope the Olympics will be a great success. I would not be surprised if the PLA does cloud seeding at Beijing every evening.

Edit: Just watching "We Are Ready" right now. I have to say it has a very Hong Kong feel to it. While the song itself may not be a huge musical accomplishment, the symbolism of it is simply fantastic. The way they gathered so many singers from across China (and those of Chinese heritage) gives a very powerful and positive feel.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com

Last edited by X10A_Freedom; 2008-08-05 at 14:08.
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 14:05   Link #43
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
While pollution in China is undenyingly bad, wind farms are popping up across China at a rate faster than you could imagine. None of that time-wasting stuff I've read about in the UK. All coal-burning boilers in Beijing is due to be replaced with a revolutionary lean-burning boiler which leaves the soot where the fire is...rather than expelling them. China is growing rapidly...I bet no one remembers that London was worse than Beijing in the 1950s. At least the Chinese seem to have realised the pollution problem and have started to rectify things quickly.
Let us never forget the tale of the Peppered moth, one of the first concrete examples of evolution and mankind's ability to change their environment so much that other species had to evolve to live near us.
Old 2008-08-05, 14:36   Link #44
Zoned87
Mr. Awesome

In the 1950's blacks couldn't eat in restraunts, women were confined to being house wives and cocaine was used as a toothache medicine.

They also beleived that ducking below a wooden desk would protect you from an atomic bomb.
Zoned87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 17:43   Link #45
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoned87 View Post
In the 1950's blacks couldn't eat in restraunts, women were confined to being house wives and cocaine was used as a toothache medicine.

They also beleived that ducking below a wooden desk would protect you from an atomic bomb.
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to point at here, Zoned.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 17:51   Link #46
Zoned87
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to point at here, Zoned.
The fact that a modern society should not have as much smog as a city from the 1950's.

vaguely...
Old 2008-08-05, 18:16   Link #47
X10A_Freedom

Actually, a modern society should have as much smog as the 1950s (Beijing has less) because the period from 1920-1970 was the peak of modernism.

The world is like Age of Empires. China is still one "Age" behind the rich, industrialised countries but I'm pretty sure they'll manage to enter the post-modern era and catch up within a generation.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 01:46   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Keep in mind X10 is using "modern" and "modernism" in its context of defining a historical period rather than the casual use of the word "modern" to describe things like plumbing, color television, and in-room phones at the hotel.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 04:01   Link #49
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Just saw this on Yahoo and though about posting it here for others to see....

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...?urn=oly,98718

Can't help but wonder about the other athletes in said group that will participate in the competition.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2008-08-06 at 04:14.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 04:20   Link #50
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Best quote on the comment page of that article regarding all these bumbles:
"China was given the opportunity to show their character. And, sadly, it shows..."

Though I'd qualify that it is the Chinese government that is so thoroughly shooting itself in the foot and embarrassing the people of China in what should be a shining moment for them.

edit: I browsed through a few pages of comments.... wow, I'm amazed at some of the nationalist idiots that are able to actually get their computer turned on and post there. I used to joke during the Cold War that the Real Enemies were the warhawk nationalists on each side of the Iron Curtain ..... now I'm thinking it extends down to the local level of nationalist idiocy for any country.

And of course... my government has no moral high ground to speak from at the moment...

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-08-06 at 04:36.
Old 2008-08-06, 04:24   Link #51
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I wouldn't be surprised if a friend of him were to pull a shirt or a sign in the middle of an event saying "We are with you Joey".
Old 2008-08-06, 04:47   Link #52
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
people trash talk to China too much in this Olympic makes me wanna flame/troll the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa (LOL HELLO RACISM, WELCOME BACK) and 2012 Olympic in London (LOL IRAQ WAR protest LOL FREE WALES etc blahblah )...

anyway enough with the fat band wagon party crashers I am looking forward to the opening ceremony and expect an awesome display from the host country China. And hopefully my country could get a gold or 2 from this event. GO VIETNAM!

btw vietnam has an uneasy history with the big fat nosy neighbors but while we don't like our neighbors very much (mostly because of the territories disputes) we kinda make it clear that Olympic =/= politics.
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 04:53   Link #53
Zoned87
Mr. Awesome

Smog must be good for the lungs.
Old 2008-08-06, 11:47   Link #54
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoned87 View Post
Smog must be good for the lungs.
It's LA's wonder drug for staying young and pretty (it certainly did wonders for my skin and breathing abilities when I lived in LA).
Old 2008-08-06, 11:48   Link #55
shelter
Every word must conjure

Send a message via MSN to shelter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
edit: I browsed through a few pages of comments.... wow, I'm amazed at some of the nationalist idiots that are able to actually get their computer turned on and post there. I used to joke during the Cold War that the Real Enemies were the warhawk nationalists on each side of the Iron Curtain ..... now I'm thinking it extends down to the local level of nationalist idiocy for any country.
I don't know. I'm not exactly born or bred through & through Chinese, but a lot of people (in Asia, at least) respect China for all the effort they've put into this.

So I suppose I would be a bit of an ethno-nationalist to some extent, but I'm more interested in seeing whether China can come up with a medal tally to impress everyone else. Which most would see as legitimate sports interest

Of course, these games are politicized for the benefit of certain points-of-view. But isn't everything else?
shelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 12:50   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well, what was appalling to me in that particular article's comment section was the vast display of ignorance and stupidity from "american nationalist thugs and idiots" posting.Any rational critique of chinese government behavior was lost in the rampant stupidity and erroneous statements.

I'm interested in multiple facets of the Games.
1) Can the PRC government stop stepping in their own dung? They create their own catastrophes -- and often I think its their 'middle management' and local officials without the clues.
2) I want to see the Chinese *people* at the games. I like watching the people of a country be very proud of their participation in international events like this.
3) I'm a sucker for opening ceremonies even though I'm more a fan of the winter sports.
4) I'd like to see some of the sports --- I'm damn tired of NBC's approach to coverage because they seem compulsively incapable of *SHOWING* the competition. Constant cuts and interference from their pretty talking heads, too much touchy-feely overwrought background drama, and simply not showing many of the interesting sports. I can't even get a decent coverage of the soccer games.... but none of that is China's fault I can't wait til some other network gets the coverage rights.
Old 2008-08-06, 13:06   Link #57
Amray

I am sure that China will make a fine host for the 2008 olympics. I do not see anything to threat about. The olympics is an event to get all of the nations together just for some enjoyment, participation, and sports. Remember that sports was only ever invented in such a way for the entertainment of the viewers and also to the people taking part.

I think China will do great. I personally cannot foresee any problems. Plus, I am not the type to go taking things such as sport too seriously..well I suppose I do not take most things seriously, but nonthetless I still just happen to see sports and the olympics as a world-wide entertaining event for ones participation and the viewers' amusement. If that means doing it in China then so be it, no one should worry.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 13:32   Link #58
Zoned87
Mr. Awesome

I imagine Tibetan's will be protesting and more monks will probably be setting themselves on fire in public display.

If they allow them to anyway.
Old 2008-08-06, 15:26   Link #59
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Best quote on the comment page of that article regarding all these bumbles:
"China was given the opportunity to show their character. And, sadly, it shows..."

Though I'd qualify that it is the Chinese government that is so thoroughly shooting itself in the foot and embarrassing the people of China in what should be a shining moment for them.
But, it is also hard sometimes to separate the truth from sensationalist journalism.

Such as the news that spread all over from a week back about government officials secretly telling bar owners to not serve alcohol to black people or Mongolians during the Olympics.
Old 2008-08-06, 16:08   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A good example of sensationalistic journalism is this article:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0080806a1.html

The headline and the first few paragraphs sound super awful.. .then you read the REST of the article where the context is explained, the police apologized, offered to pay for the equipment, etc.

The local arms of the police are obviously a bit amateurish and unprofessional letting their stress in that situation overwhelm logic. But it is nothing like what the headline implies. On the other hand, we're getting *repeated* reports via credible news organizations (BBC, PBS, etc) of journalists being tailed, asked for papers, and instructed to leave while doing their job.

Tags
olympics