AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-08-08, 17:57   Link #81
Meirin
Locked Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
How do those cheer leaders with their little white booties do it? They must be bleeping knackered!
Yes, two hours of nonstop cheering is quite something. I'm especially impressed by the cheerleaders stationed near the main entrance, welcoming all the athletes, they were jumping and waving the entire time.
Old 2008-08-08, 21:20   Link #82
mg1942

Interesting to say the least. Strange times are sure to come, not during the Olympics or anything but in the years ahead.

Also interesting regarding the Taiwan situation, were they not allowed to fly there own flag? Not called Taiwan but Taipei?

Japan's entrance was very quiet
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 21:30   Link #83
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Interesting to say the least. Strange times are sure to come, not during the Olympics or anything but in the years ahead.

Also interesting regarding the Taiwan situation, were they not allowed to fly there own flag? Not called Taiwan but Taipei?

Really?

On CBC the anchormen noted that Japan, Canada, and Russia got a large applause and were much bigger than the US.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 21:58   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Be a bit wary.... the NBC production is always "US.US.US" over-focused so I wouldn't be putting it past them to tweak the sound. Its kind of obnoxious -- I watch the Games to watch *WORLD* atheletes and get glimpses of other cultures. ABC was always pretty good at that sort of objectivity, but NBC has put a rather tabloid gawdy twist on the Olympics since they won the rights.
Old 2008-08-08, 22:03   Link #85
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Seems that China is destin to with the Women's Weightlifting with perfect scores and little effort to boot, judging by what I've seen.
Old 2008-08-08, 22:08   Link #86
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942

Were you watching the same ceremony I watched? ^^?

Taiwan continues to compete under the Olympic flag. Its team was introduced in English as "Chinese Taipei". It would have been too sensitive for them to use Taiwan, as that would suggest it's an independent country.

Japan's entrance was greeted by cheers. Even France received polite applause, despite the torch fracas in Paris earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Be a bit wary.... the NBC production is always "US.US.US" over-focused so I wouldn't be putting it past them to tweak the sound.
Lol, ok. Perhaps the sound of cheering for Japan's entrance was edited at my end too. Whatever the case, it was evident from the faces of the athletes that they were enjoying the moment. That's what counts, in the end.

It's sad though, that Russia and Georgia are now on the brink of war despite the Games.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 22:14   Link #87
tenken627
what Yagi said

1st Gold Medal just awarded to Katerina Emmons of the Czech Republic for Women's 10m Air Rifle.
Old 2008-08-08, 22:18   Link #88
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Finished the first hour.... absolutely fabulous production so far.... good gods the chinese kids are cute...
scroll .... amazing
Old 2008-08-08, 22:32   Link #89
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Finished the first hour.... absolutely fabulous production so far.... good gods the chinese kids are cute...
scroll .... amazing

simply EPIC!

PS I hate how NBC puts commercial interruptions
Old 2008-08-08, 22:44   Link #90
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

right... I want the OST
Old 2008-08-08, 22:52   Link #91
mg1942

about the LCD scroll.

Was it developed by Samsung or Sony?
Old 2008-08-08, 22:57   Link #92
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
scroll .... amazing
You can have Zhang Yimou, who directed Hero, to thank for that.
Old 2008-08-08, 22:59   Link #93
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ok... now I'm pissed... they're running a delayed broadcast through the commercials..... so we're missing several minutes at a time of the historical production.... wtf?
Its delayed!!! *why* skip any of it? bah.
Old 2008-08-08, 23:01   Link #94
tenken627
what Yagi said

Wow at the Olympic Torch ceremony. That was so elegant how it was done. I don't want to spoil it, but it was a really nice finishing touch to end the Opening Ceremony.
Old 2008-08-08, 23:04   Link #95
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Be a bit wary.... the NBC production is always "US.US.US" over-focused so I wouldn't be putting it past them to tweak the sound. Its kind of obnoxious -- I watch the Games to watch *WORLD* atheletes and get glimpses of other cultures. ABC was always pretty good at that sort of objectivity, but NBC has put a rather tabloid gawdy twist on the Olympics since they won the rights.
Are you watching from the US too, Vexx? If so, yeah they are rather white washed ^^. Which I'm watching on the NBC network too since all i got is basic cable.

But overall, which the opening ceremony is not entirely over yet, they just litted the torch. Overall, it was a very great display of Chinese customs and their role this time as the Host of the Olympics.

ps: Laughed at what the NBC spokes person said "This could be intimating" I would assume this meaning, China trying to showoff what they have and what they could do to outperform previous Olympics ^^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 23:21   Link #96
mg1942

Don't flame me for this... but 2008 puts 1936 to shame

That's in terms of artistic value.
Old 2008-08-08, 23:35   Link #97
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, you're right. Completely ignoring any underlying politics - the '36 opening was quite a showstopper as well. I also remember being fairly impressed with the Lillehammer and Nagano winter meet openers.
Old 2008-08-08, 23:37   Link #98
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

That's been the situation for Taiwan for a while now. It's nothing new or unique for the Beijing Olympics.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 23:43   Link #99
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, the Taiwan "compromise" has been in effect for decades.

Japan got a pretty vigorous applause on entry as did Taiwan. The Chinese *people* seem really keen on being good hosts and being caught up in the atmosphere.
Old 2008-08-08, 23:54   Link #100
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Well, the only Olympic openings I still vaguely remember are Seoul and Barcelona's. Barcelona's torch-lighting (literally a shot through the dark) remains the one to beat, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Looks like I'm the only one who found the opening ceremony dreadfully boring and completely lacking in proper direction.
Actually, I'd agree slightly about the "lack of proper direction". The themes, while eye-dazzlingly spectacular, did not quite seem to gel. If it weren't for the running commentary, I wouldn't have known which parts of Chinese history were on show. In the end, the main points were centred on the "four great inventions" of gunpowder, paper, (tea?), printing and the compass. If there was an "overall point" to the show, I didn't get it.

But hey, when there are so many pretty colours (and girls) on display, who cares? Just enjoy the show.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2008-08-09 at 00:05.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics