AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Old 2008-02-02, 01:41   Link #1
jedinat
フリーター

New PC with Vista; port forwarding problem

I got a new comp today with Vista preinstalled... I've tried utorrent and azureus and both tell me they my ports aren't being forwarded correctly. or whatever. Not sure what the problem is; I turned off the firewall, tried different port numbers, tried changing my IP... triple/quadruple checked checked I didn't mistype anything; the static IP and DNS info is all good... on the router end I've just done what I've always done with no problems... my bro's comp gets through just fine; he has vista. I feel like I'm overlooking something simple; I've been searching the net to no avail.
Help please?
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 18:27   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

I just tried setting DMZ for my IP and it is working... which I don't understand because single port forwarding was not working. Is there something about Vista that would explain this? And is DMZ not too dangerous as long as I have windows firewall running?

Edit: I've figured it out, but I'm not sure the why... DMZ was enabled for my bro's comp, and this seemed to have conflicted with any ports I tried opening for my IP.... I guess I couldn't assign open ports for more than one PC while both PC's were using Vista? Not sure why; I didn't have trouble when I had XP.
Old 2008-02-02, 19:50   Link #3
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I got a new comp today with Vista preinstalled... I've tried utorrent and azureus and both tell me they my ports aren't being forwarded correctly. or whatever. Not sure what the problem is; I turned off the firewall, tried different port numbers, tried changing my IP... triple/quadruple checked checked I didn't mistype anything; the static IP and DNS info is all good... on the router end I've just done what I've always done with no problems... my bro's comp gets through just fine; he has vista. I feel like I'm overlooking something simple; I've been searching the net to no avail.
Help please?
What is your firewall? Do you have an anti viruse? what is it? What your computer has that your brother doesnt have?

Some times some computers dont work with some softwares. Forexample Utorrent didnt work with my Macfee. So i uninstalled it and it worked.

I am not an expert but i think experts in here would need abit more information . It could just be a software that is interfering with Utorrent or Azerus.

And about Vista, I think it works fine. I got a new computer ( about 6 months ago) and i had problems with vista. Many of those problems werent even Vista related as i later figured out. And the ones that were, were fixed with search on internet and finding the solutions. So basically it takes a bit of time to get used to Vista. At first it was a pain but as i learned more about it, i like it so much that i would not want to go back to XP.

P.S. Stick with Vista; It is alot better than XP. Most of my friends got tired of it and went back to XP, But few of us that stayed with it, are loving it.
Old 2008-02-02, 19:59   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

If it's a totally new computer then it's a bit more complicated than calling XP vs. Vista. I don't know how you had your router set up to forward ports - some can do it based on MAC address and other things, and you'd need to redo it in that case. I'm not a huge fan or port forwarding and only DMZ when I really need to - UPnP is a much more convenient and secure option, if your router supports it.

My experience with Vista is too low to really know whether it was something due to Vista, though. I'm glad you got it figured out.
Old 2008-02-02, 21:59   Link #5
jedinat
フリーター

I've figured out the problem; maybe that wasn't as evident as I thought in my edit. Apparently it's incorrect to assign the same ports to be forwarded on different PC's on the network. DMZ opens all the ports for one machine through port range forwarding (at least on my router) So essentially all the ports were assigned to be forwarded on my brother's computer. When I tried to forward a single port on my new computer, there was a conflict/problem/whatever because all ports were assigned to be forwarded already to another machine. This wasn't a problem with my old computer for whatever reason; there was no conflict/problem/whatever when I forwarded a port that was already being forwarded on my brother's machine. I don't know whether it's that I am now running Vista or w/e; it just seemed likely to me; it probably is the new hardware.

Yeah, I am sticking with Vista, lol. It took me quite a few hours to get it into decent shape.