AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-05, 03:40   Link #21
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku Hyuga View Post
I played Runescape for a while. It's pretty fun. You can create a free character or pay $5 a month for a members account(members get the good stuff). I had a free account for a long time and played the game A LOT! Interacting with the other players is fun, and they have special holiday events where you can get special items, it gets boring leveling up your character was the big problem. I was playing until a month ago when I picked up a virus on the computer and since the game was the last thing that was used on it my parents blamed the game and I'm not allowed to play any games anymore,( they actually have great virus protection on there, my folks just don't get that. ) Anyway I reccomend the game its fun.
Nice! My membership is actually still activated, and I play from time to time. At $5 a month, it's dirt cheap. I spend more on chips and soda in a week than I do on Runescape.

I liked the snowglobe for the last Christmas event. Throwing snowballs at random people is hilarious.

I also like the new Summoning skill, though the reason I don't play as much anymore is because Jagex f'ed up the economy with their new money exchange limits. It really irritates me.
Old 2008-02-05, 04:17   Link #22
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by UzumakiW View Post
When people start saying their bad because they get people addicted, it makes me think people are dumb. I've heard this a lot. It all comes down to self control. Like I said, I haven't really played an MMO yet, but I play some other games online. There are times when I'll spend a couple hours at a time playing, but then there are definetely times when I play for an hour or two and go off and do something else for the rest of the day. Some people take it way too far. I mean really, how dumb can you be to forget to eat while playing one of these -_-.
Sorry, but I think that before you go calling other people "dumb" you should at least try it yourself for a bit. It's about being immersed in it. Are you the type of person who really gets into your games? Maybe you know how it is - three hours go by and you feel like you've been playing for ten minutes. If that sounds familiar, MMOs are dangerous. Here's why:

1) There's a social aspect.
2) The game world is constantly moving, even when you're not logged in.
3) There is no end to the game.

Aspects 1 and 2 are the part that hooks you - you make friends and get immersed very easily, and at the same time, you don't want to miss anything. You spend the time to play together, and any time you're not there is time that you're missing out on something. It doesn't help that the more time you spend, the better your character is. You want a powerful character so that others take you seriously (social aspect comes back into play) and so that you can do more. It's a virtual world, almost like a second life - you don't want to be stuck in the beginner areas forever!

But what do I know - maybe I'm just one of those dumb people. My poison was Ultima Online, and at my worst it enabled me to stay up for three days straight. I don't question it when I hear that people died from not going to the bathroom for a day, and I don't think they were dumb. Perhaps I have an addictive personality, or I get too engrossed in what I'm doing. MMORPGs were also a lot more immersive back then. WoW is pretty linear and limited by comparison.

Either way - be careful. I messed around with Ultima Online at a time when I could afford to sink hours into the game with no consequences to my life. I learned my limits then, thankfully. Plenty of people walk into these games in college or as professionals - when their time is really important - and ruin their lives due to mismanagement and addiction. Have fun, but be careful, lest you should become "one of those dumb people."
Old 2008-02-05, 04:23   Link #23
Phantasmagoria
†Mizore Shirayuki†
*Author

I have had a taste of bad time management, it's not good. Of course, I am out of that thing already. Else, doing work and having fun at the same time is the best thing of all.

Rosario + Vampire[Mizore].Spice and Wolf[Horo].
Hayate no Gotoku![Hinagiku].Hayate no Gotoku![Maria]
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 05:12   Link #24
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
WoW is pretty linear and limited by comparison.
I agree with your post, but I wanted to quote this because it's important.

WoW is designed like that on purpose. There are plenty of "hardcore" players who feel everything needs to be a massive timesink and difficult to get, but WoW hands everything out like candy for smaller time investments. It's arguably one of the biggest reasons it is so successful.

I think overall the *concept* of MMO's works. Persistent fantasy worlds are something I've dreamed of ever since I was a small child, and it's wonderful to see technology finally getting to a point there that is becoming a reality.

What I hate is the slow, plodding, carrot on a stick approach that all of these companies employ. Sure, sweeping and constant fast changes aren't fun, but months upon months of "soon" isn't fun either.

I think we're a long way off from a true alternate reality simulator so really, what we have now is just a fun sandbox. Since I don't really buy many games and WoW is great for just playing a few hours and calling it good, it's been a solid investment.

On the other hand, there are people with terrible time management and games like this devour it. Gaming addictions aren't an online mmo only thing, but it's certainly dangerous if you lack discipline.
Old 2008-02-05, 05:16   Link #25
SolarNova
Alone in the dark

My first MMO was Earth & Beyond (Eve Online's Daddy bassicaly) i played that for a couple years before EA decided in there infinant wizdom to shut it down i to this day hate EA for that soul reason.
Then GuildWars (played up to Factions)
Then Eve Online ( Still playing, been playing for roughly 2-3years )
Then WoW ( Still playing i guess about a year or somthing )

So im currently playing 2 MMO's .. one is a very serious game..Eve.. gotta be carefull what u do in that..its more mature.. the other is WoW and it isnt serious at all and i just play it for some easy fun.

All in all MMO's are a great way to make freinds from all over the world, u can organise events to meet up in person, for example my corp in Eve has met up twice ..once in the US and once in Germany.
As for addiction.. ALL games without fail get boring at some point, it took Eve 1.5 years to get a little boring for me, and WoW got boring within about 10 months.. but once an upgrade or expansion comes out that adds a significant amount of content to it, the addicition kicks in again lol.
Old 2008-02-05, 05:31   Link #26
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Either way - be careful. I messed around with Ultima Online at a time when I could afford to sink hours into the game with no consequences to my life. I learned my limits then, thankfully. Plenty of people walk into these games in college or as professionals - when their time is really important - and ruin their lives due to mismanagement and addiction. Have fun, but be careful, lest you should become "one of those dumb people."
Haha, same thing happened to me on Ragnarok but it wasn't as extreme as your case, but I usually played a whole day straight without eating. But I imagine it would get worse if I didn't have my parents/sisters keeping eyes on me. I got into arguments with my dad all the times because of it, and one time because I played too much that he got so pissed off, he nearly threw the monitor onto the ground...

I quit that game about half a year to one year ago, and while I have been planning to find something productive to do, I end up spending most of my extra times browsing the web instead.

So there it becomes a problem of time mismanagement... yet while stop playing MMO does lighten the load, I still am not doing anything productive.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 05:32   Link #27
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Too repetitive. Too much hack & slash. What's worse it's that, by inertia, it's geared in such a way that, if you're not 24/7 on the server, you won't get to be a very competitive player. By the time I had bored myself out of Ragnarok Online (I remember spending an entire week looking for a single item... that was my cue to leave the game), I realized I had enough competition in real life--I'd rather not go look for it in fantasy land.

Give me single player RPGs, please. Those which had an ending. Those which had a storyline. Those with which the only competition is with the inanimate CPU. And those I can play an hour a day and not feel like I'm going to resent it.

As far as I'm concerned, MMORPGs represent too many lost resources.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 05:51   Link #28
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Too repetitive. Too much hack & slash. What's worse it's that, by inertia, it's geared in such a way that, if you're not 24/7 on the server, you won't get to be a very competitive player. By the time I had bored myself out of Ragnarok Online (I remember spending an entire week looking for a single item... that was my cue to leave the game), I realized I had enough competition in real life--I'd rather not go look for it in fantasy land.

Give me single player RPGs, please. Those which had an ending. Those which had a storyline. Those with which the only competition is with the inanimate CPU. And those I can play an hour a day and not feel like I'm going to resent it.

As far as I'm concerned, MMORPGs represent too many lost resources.
heh. I played on a RO private server with a 3x drop rate. That means most cards drop, on average, from 1/3333 kills. I spent a week doing nothing but killing one kind of monster for a certain card and kept count of every single one I killed. It took me about 48 hours and 3152 kills to get it. Holy crap. I learned just how big 1,000 is.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 05:56   Link #29
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Yes, I also played on a private server, and it also had augmented rates (I think 2x drop rates... not too sure). However, I couldn't get that damn card. I remember it was a card that made you invulnerable to freezing, which was extremely useful in castle raids since all guilds always had wizards immediately before the final area, casting that annoying spell which froze everyone. I had the slotted armor I needed, I just needed the damn card. One week later, when the next castle raid came and I didn't have the card, I decided to quit the damn game. Too much time consumed, too much.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 06:42   Link #30
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

it took me a month to get my Destroyer Scythe i could have bought for 100k or get all the materials and buy it but i got all the materials
Old 2008-02-05, 06:50   Link #31
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

MMO's with pvp in it are awesome(pve only mmo's are pointless in my book. >_> ). Im still want to play MMO's, but the problem is time. If I play I want to dominate and win, but for that you need time and detication. I just don't want to spend my time in it. Eventhough it means Im missing out on a lot of fun.

I do have the means to make time, but that means quiting my part time job and stop going out. Which will kill the social life. I refuse to make my life only consist of studying and gaming.

Still the best time of my life is still OB to c1 Lineage 2.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 07:01   Link #32
King Lycan
*IT Support

i like the pve part of MMO's i only pvp when i have Guild Vs Guild
Old 2008-02-05, 08:07   Link #33
Zaku Hyuga
Domo Ori Gato Mr. Roboto
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Nice! My membership is actually still activated, and I play from time to time. At $5 a month, it's dirt cheap. I spend more on chips and soda in a week than I do on Runescape.

I liked the snowglobe for the last Christmas event. Throwing snowballs at random people is hilarious.

I also like the new Summoning skill, though the reason I don't play as much anymore is because Jagex f'ed up the economy with their new money exchange limits. It really irritates me.
Ya I missed the Christmas event that's when I picked up the virus. I was also all excited about the new summoning until I heard they made it members only, made me mad even though I'm not playing. And I'm mad about the econmy bit too, It was great being able to sell something that was easy to make or cheap to buy and sell it to a noob at twice value. It was funny when they introduced the clan capes to free players everyone went nuts for them, and you could go buy the capes for 50 each and sell them at 500 or more each, I got gold trimmed black body with all the money I made. I wish I could play so much, it's not that I was addicted i could quit when I wanted to, I just enjoyed playing and wanted to keep playing. i know someone, a friend of a friend, and he spends evey waking moment that he can on that game, and rarely does anything else. Scary
Zaku Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 09:00   Link #34
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I suppose I am like a dry MMOer(quitted WoW 3 month after beta). I'll never participate in such a game again (bc chances are I would fall for that drug again )
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 09:06   Link #35
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

been playing City of Heroes for about 3 years now and it's sister game City of Villains a year and a half.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 11:30   Link #36
Rookie103

I've been playing Guild Wars ever since it first came out ana I'm still playing it. No idea how many hours or what not, though.
Rookie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 11:56   Link #37
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

hubby and I just started Lord of the Rings Online as a change from DAoC, and I canceled my WoW account. WoW is something I can't play for long, honestly, it gets too... repetitive is a word used in this topic afore LOL
LotR:O isn't too bad; I'm a HUGE Tolkein addict, so it's nice to have a set of fully fleshed out mythos to link things to. However, I can see the potential to become like WoW where it's a grindfest to get the best gear. I'll have to see once I get past 20th lvl.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 12:47   Link #38
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
First of all...MMORPG means "Many Men Often Role Play Girs." Don't let anyone tell you different xD

I really only play 2 MMOs...I play WoW...I have a 70 Night Elf Druid...and I play Guild Wars...I have 6 20s, Ele/M, N/R, Me/M, W/E, D/N, and E/D..Yes...I sometimes play SWG now and then, NGE completly sucks, and CU was and will always be better...but I have a 66 Bounty Hunter on there...Had an 80 Jedi Master and 80 TKM/ Master Doctor...but yea...that's about it..

Quote:
Sorry, but I think that before you go calling other people "dumb" you should at least try it yourself for a bit. It's about being immersed in it. Are you the type of person who really gets into your games? Maybe you know how it is - three hours go by and you feel like you've been playing for ten minutes. If that sounds familiar, MMOs are dangerous. Here's why:

1) There's a social aspect.
2) The game world is constantly moving, even when you're not logged in.
3) There is no end to the game.

Aspects 1 and 2 are the part that hooks you - you make friends and get immersed very easily, and at the same time, you don't want to miss anything. You spend the time to play together, and any time you're not there is time that you're missing out on something. It doesn't help that the more time you spend, the better your character is. You want a powerful character so that others take you seriously (social aspect comes back into play) and so that you can do more. It's a virtual world, almost like a second life - you don't want to be stuck in the beginner areas forever!

But what do I know - maybe I'm just one of those dumb people. My poison was Ultima Online, and at my worst it enabled me to stay up for three days straight. I don't question it when I hear that people died from not going to the bathroom for a day, and I don't think they were dumb. Perhaps I have an addictive personality, or I get too engrossed in what I'm doing. MMORPGs were also a lot more immersive back then. WoW is pretty linear and limited by comparison.

Yea...I think that the real reason that most get "addicted" to them is because it's a fantasy world that people want to escape into. Getting your charater stronger and making friends is just apart of that....As well as they are people all around the world...Me...Am I addicted? No I am not...Do I play to much? Yes I do..Why? Because my mother moved me from Indiana to Texas and I have no made any friends yet, no matter how hard I try, I haven't been able too, so this game is bassically a fall back in life xD....So I go to school, do my work, come home, do homework, get on WoW, and then eat sleep, etc...and do it all again. I can stop anytime I want, I just don't want to because I have no need to. As long as I make good grades, and get lots of exercise I don't see a problem.

Last edited by siya; 2008-02-05 at 13:18.
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 13:40   Link #39
King Lycan
*IT Support

Im also thinking about getting Tabula Rasa

P.S.woot every one who play's guild wars add me my name is ~Queen Vegeta or Gangstarlicous Y
Old 2008-02-05, 21:00   Link #40
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
Im also thinking about getting Tabula Rasa

P.S.woot every one who play's guild wars add me my name is ~Queen Vegeta or Gangstarlicous Y
lol..Yea..I don't play GW as much..but I play...I kinda stoped playing after HoH became like nothing..-_-...I remember when the game first came out and everything...oo things were so much different...HoH was everything...I remember everyone lvling and stuffs...I started playing about a week after it relased...It was soo epic!...Yea...but things have changed...alot...
siya is offline   Reply With Quote