AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-05, 21:05   Link #41
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Lol, yay for escapism!

I think Ledgem's points are quite valid and are probably good explanations for more addicted gamers.

Last edited by Spectacular_Insanity; 2008-02-05 at 22:08.
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 22:05   Link #42
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by siya View Post
lol..Yea..I don't play GW as much..but I play...I kinda stoped playing after HoH became like nothing..-_-...I remember when the game first came out and everything...oo things were so much different...HoH was everything...I remember everyone lvling and stuffs...I started playing about a week after it relased...It was soo epic!...Yea...but things have changed...alot...
Well there was a point i stopped playing guild wars and any MMo period but that was the summer of 06 but when i started again it was so weird but now im trying to get Slayers Exile done and DOA{domain Of Anguish} doin so i can get my tormented shield
Old 2008-02-05, 22:45   Link #43
Daughter!

I honestly think they're boring. I got the trial of World of Warcraft once. It wasn't very fun.
Daughter! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 23:18   Link #44
UzumakiW
J-rocker

Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Sorry, but I think that before you go calling other people "dumb" you should at least try it yourself for a bit. It's about being immersed in it. Are you the type of person who really gets into your games? Maybe you know how it is - three hours go by and you feel like you've been playing for ten minutes. If that sounds familiar, MMOs are dangerous. Here's why:

1) There's a social aspect.
2) The game world is constantly moving, even when you're not logged in.
3) There is no end to the game.

Aspects 1 and 2 are the part that hooks you - you make friends and get immersed very easily, and at the same time, you don't want to miss anything. You spend the time to play together, and any time you're not there is time that you're missing out on something. It doesn't help that the more time you spend, the better your character is. You want a powerful character so that others take you seriously (social aspect comes back into play) and so that you can do more. It's a virtual world, almost like a second life - you don't want to be stuck in the beginner areas forever!
As I've said, no I haven't played any MMO's, but that doesn't mean I haven't played any online RPGs. I do play Diablo II quite a bit at times still. Now, grant it, it's definetely different than WoW or Guild Wars in that Diablo only allows 8 players to a game, and the graphics aren't as good. And yes, I definetely have gotten into games to where I've played all day when it only seems like a few hours.

As for the three examples you have typed, I know how it is with the social thing. Back when everybody used to play Diablo, I'd always love being on and playing with friends. I'd spend hours with friends playing. The second piece I can't argue with too much, unless I state that you and your friends are running through at the same pace, without being rushed by a higher level, and you have to leave while your friend continues on can be a little annoying in the way that you want to continue too, yes, but like I said, I don't think you can compare it as easily to games like WoW. And as for the third, I know how that is too, even after you beat every stage on a game like Diablo, you still run through to keep leveling and find better stuff and duel each other. And I agree, it gets to be a big part of your life when you're playing games like these.

Quote:
But what do I know - maybe I'm just one of those dumb people. My poison was Ultima Online, and at my worst it enabled me to stay up for three days straight. I don't question it when I hear that people died from not going to the bathroom for a day, and I don't think they were dumb. Perhaps I have an addictive personality, or I get too engrossed in what I'm doing. MMORPGs were also a lot more immersive back then. WoW is pretty linear and limited by comparison.
Personally, I do get pretty surprised to hear that. I mean, I definetely get into games and forget to do important things like sleep, or homework, or something like that, however, for me, I never let a game make me forget some of the important necessities in life to live, such as eat, drink, and go to the bathroom.

Quote:
Either way - be careful. I messed around with Ultima Online at a time when I could afford to sink hours into the game with no consequences to my life. I learned my limits then, thankfully. Plenty of people walk into these games in college or as professionals - when their time is really important - and ruin their lives due to mismanagement and addiction. Have fun, but be careful, lest you should become "one of those dumb people."
That's why people need to learn some kind of self control. Don't get me wrong, I know addictions can really mess with your mind and make you think you need it, but with games, it seems you could at least have some more self-control than those with alcoholism or a heavy smoker.

Basically, all I'm trying to say is that people should really practice self-control when playing any kind of video game. At least, if anything, have enough self control to take a few minutes off to go to the bathroom, or a few minutes to get a glass of water and a bag of chips or something. Like I said, I haven't played any MMO's yet, but I know what it's like to feel addicted to playing a video game and getting better and better at it, and playing with friends, and making sure to keep up with my friends, even if I have to spend twice as long doing it after having to leave a game while my friends continue on. I'm not trying to rip on gamers or people who love MMO's, because I'm a big gamer, and I love being a gamer, and grant it, I know a regular online game or regular video games are different than MMOs, but I don't think it's too smart when a person, even on an MMO dies from not taking the time to eat or go to the bathroom. I'm also not trying to rip on MMOs, because I would love to start playing one when I get a chance. And last, I'm not trying to offend anyone, and I'm sorry if I did, but that's just how I feel.
Old 2008-02-05, 23:54   Link #45
Moneytalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
I play EVE Online, and you are wrong in most cases IMO.

Money and skills are completely meaningless these days except on the vast empire scale. A thousand newbies in frigates will devastate fifty veterans in battleships. Its almost unfair! And, of course, a skilled newbie can work his way from nothing to billions in a matter of weeks through clever trading.

(I can tell you don't play EVE much, or you'd probably recognize me from EVE You'll find me flying a mothership for the MC. )
Smartbombing Battleships?
Moneytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 00:01   Link #46
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by UzumakiW View Post
I'm not trying to rip on gamers or people who love MMO's, because I'm a big gamer, and I love being a gamer, and grant it, I know a regular online game or regular video games are different than MMOs, but I don't think it's too smart when a person, even on an MMO dies from not taking the time to eat or go to the bathroom. I'm also not trying to rip on MMOs, because I would love to start playing one when I get a chance. And last, I'm not trying to offend anyone, and I'm sorry if I did, but that's just how I feel.
I wasn't offended personally, even if some of my past actions would categorize me into being one of the "dumb people." I merely felt that you were making an uninformed statement, and that you were also taking MMORPGs a bit too lightly. To call people dumb on top of that made you come off as a bit ignorant, I'll admit. I'm more concerned that you may one day go into an MMORPG with your current attitude and suffer because of it.

I completely agree with you when you say that people should have more self control. We should all know how to control and limit ourselves about everything in life, really. If I like eggs, I should be able to control my intake or else I'm going to have clogged arteries due to high cholesterol. Similarly, if I like games I can't be playing them 24/7 because I have other responsibilities and have to care for my body.

The three points that I raised were what I feel are the three core aspects of why an MMORPG is more of a threat to your time and your ability to manage your time than another game. You say that you'd never let a game be more important than having to do something like eating or going to the bathroom. Good - you have the right values, but in practice can you pull it off? With any regular game you'd press "pause" or reach a rest area and then take care of business. But with an MMORPG it's a whole different ball game.

When you're out with friends and you have to take a leak, do you tell your buddies to hold up while you go to the bathroom? I think most of us have no problem doing it, but most of us will also probably hold it in for longer than we would have if we were on our own. Now how about if you're in the middle of something like a soccer or a basketball game - are you going to tell your buddies to wait because you need to go? Probably not, but not for the reason you're probably thinking. You probably won't because you'll be so caught up in the game yourself that until you're practically bursting, you won't even realize that you had to urinate. The same goes for hunger and many other bodily urges. If you get absorbed enough into what you're doing, you won't feel those things. If you can't connect with what I'm saying, you either have some insanely strong bodily urges or you've never been focused on something as hard as I'm describing.

This connects with MMORPGs because many of these MMORPGs are like a second life. If you're on a boring part, it's easier to treat it like a regular game - just step away. But if you're in a heated moment, you just won't feel it, or you'll put it off. For example, in Ultima Online people could steal from your avatar or kill your avatar and loot the body. You put a lot of time into what your character is equipped with, so this is a big no-no - you're already on edge. What's the big deal - just log out, it's almost as good as the pause button, right? So you're missing out on the action, get over it. The problem with that system was that, unless you were within the limits of a town (safe zone), your character would take three or five minutes to log out. During that time a monster could attack you, another player could attack you - anything. It made doing anything but watching over your character (yourself) impossible.

That's not the main reason why I consider MMORPGs to be dangerous, though. I'm merely raising that point to show how it's much easier to get engrossed in the entire thing than I think you're giving credit for. The real threats come from those three main points - you want to be a part of this changing world. The more time you spend, the more gratification you get. And who here plays games to feel like they're not getting gratification? Nobody. MMORPGs thus represent a dangerous cycle. Perhaps it's not just about time management, but about managing how involved you become and how much you care. Before Ultima Online, I'd never had real experience with that sort of management. I don't think many others do, either.

Just be careful. If you decide to start an MMORPG, that's perfectly fine. Just take more precautions in the time you spend on it than you would on a normal game.
Old 2008-02-06, 00:43   Link #47
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
Im also thinking about getting Tabula Rasa

P.S.woot every one who play's guild wars add me my name is ~Queen Vegeta or Gangstarlicous Y
I haven't heard good things after a while when Tabula Rasa or whatever was in beta...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 00:47   Link #48
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
First of all...MMORPG means "Many Men Often Role Play Girs." Don't let anyone tell you different xD
always get a chuckle out of that, but I think most guys in a sense, well...which would you prefer to look at? a guys butt or a girls butt?
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 06:05   Link #49
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
always get a chuckle out of that, but I think most guys in a sense, well...which would you prefer to look at? a guys butt or a girls butt?

on the internet,

all men are men...
all women are men...
and all children are FBI agents
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 09:12   Link #50
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
Also, women tend to get more freebies LOL

We tested the theory on AC back in the day; someone's hubby made a female character and in NO time flat she'd been handed gear, weapons, money, etc

I hate that most female characters are males (manginas I think is the term lol), because it means they assume I am as well until they hear me in vent or whatever, but there's nothing to be done about it.

I do tease my hubby and son mercilessly when they make female characters (though in their defense DAoC DOES have a couple of classes that're women only).

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 11:41   Link #51
King Lycan
*IT Support

The longest i ever played non-stop would be 8 hour's i dont think i can go a whole day ill get tried
Old 2008-02-06, 12:19   Link #52
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
The longest i ever played non-stop would be 8 hour's i dont think i can go a whole day ill get tried
lol...Longest I've gone with Guild Wars was about 15 hours in one day..WoW is about 20 hours...and when I played SWG during CU I went about 72 hours...Was grinding for Jedi xD
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 12:30   Link #53
King Lycan
*IT Support

Quote:
lol...Longest I've gone with Guild Wars was about 15 hours in one day..WoW is about 20 hours...and when I played SWG during CU I went about 72 hours...Was grinding for Jedi xD
You are the King Of MMO Playing
Old 2008-02-06, 12:40   Link #54
Rookie103

Quote:
I love how every hour Guild Wars says; 'You have been playing for x hours, please take a break.'
Rookie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 12:46   Link #55
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
You are the King Of MMO Playing
That, or It shows I have no life...or that I was addicted to SWG till SOE screwd it over, That I am addicted to WoW, and I'm some what addicted to GW....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie103 View Post
I love how every hour Guild Wars says; 'You have been playing for x hours, please take a break.'
I know right..It as if they get made at you..."You have bee playing for 1 hour" "You have been playing for 2 hours, please take a break." "You have bee playing for 3 hours" and so foruth..it's funny
Old 2008-02-06, 12:48   Link #56
King Lycan
*IT Support

its very annoying it used only say that when u played for 3 hours but now 1 hour
Old 2008-02-06, 12:54   Link #57
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Quote:
its very annoying it used only say that when u played for 3 hours but now 1 hour
Well..I dunno how long you've been playing GW..but when it first came out..like very first came out, I'm talking about 2 weeks after it realsed (this is not including beta testing...I never did it..tried...but they were all like "lol no."..xD) if you played for 8 hours straight it would boot you from the server and wouldn't let you on for a while..or it did me anyways....
Old 2008-02-06, 13:00   Link #58
King Lycan
*IT Support

i got it like 4 months after it came out i was playing Lineage before it came out
Old 2008-02-06, 13:01   Link #59
Rookie103

Quote:
Well..I dunno how long you've been playing GW..but when it first came out..like very first came out, I'm talking about 2 weeks after it realsed (this is not including beta testing...I never did it..tried...but they were all like "lol no."..xD) if you played for 8 hours straight it would boot you from the server and wouldn't let you on for a while..or it did me anyways....
Yeah, I had it pretty much as soon as it came out, I complained to anet when it booted me off
Rookie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 13:13   Link #60
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie103 View Post
Yeah, I had it pretty much as soon as it came out, I complained to anet when it booted me off
lol, yep...They always replyed and said things like "Well, we don't want you playing too much, you need to take a break!" I was going to use the excuse that I pay, so I'll play as much as I want.....but GW is free...so yea...xD