AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Kannagi

Notices

Old 2008-10-08, 11:40   Link #181
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
One of the reasons I've been able to watch it 3 times is that its just fascinating watching Nagi's animated movements. There's some budget splashing around her animation. It almost feels like they did some live-action motion capture.

Hope that doesn't mean we'll get cardboard puppet animation in some other episode to even the budget out.

Other points -- the VA seems to have done her homework in portraying a local demi-goddess (definite voice textures that bring to mind Horo, for example).

I'm kind of steeling myself for the inevitable "encountering the schoolmates especially the childhood friend" ... that's often a stumble point, hope they pull it off smoothly.
Maybe that was my problem...Since I purposefully avoid being spoiled about new series I spend alot of time during first episode trying to find something unique or attention grabbing about the plot to set it apart from the pack. Usually works out but sometimes I don't really pay attention to the little things or details.

Might go back and give it another look through just for curiosity's sake...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 12:29   Link #182
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
after watching the episode again and again. i'm still loving her "phuhhaaaaaah!"
i don't know why i like it so much, it simply sounds... fascinating
I also adore the OP more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thot View Post
Was anyone able to read how Ayako translated the text on the shirt?
got a copy for the heck of it and they translate it as "sense of shame" or something..

one thing to note about tho is; Jin's wood sculpture is suppose to be in a miko dress, yet, Nagi was wearing usual clothing. I also find it interesting that she has complete undergarments

in Wagaya, the deity was wearing a miko dress proper for what she is. Horo otoh was naked while Nagi is up-to-date .

Spoiler for Zange:

Status Quo: MIA
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 12:40   Link #183
Chrono Helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
I laughed quite a bit, and her personality seems really great, including her cute seeming obsession with bad puns.
Reminds me of Yukiko from Persona 4, and I love her for that.
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 14:08   Link #184
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utau View Post
after watching the episode again and again. i'm still loving her "phuhhaaaaaah!"
i don't know why i like it so much, it simply sounds... fascinating
Well you would too if you suddenly had to start breathing after being brought to life I also liked how she apparently didn't even know about moving her limbs until Jin poked her. Although in the manga she just starts testing her limbs immediately. Funny addition though...
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 14:29   Link #185
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utau View Post
after watching the episode again and again. i'm still loving her "phuhhaaaaaah!" i don't know why i like it so much, it simply sounds... fascinating ...
That was the first indication that we were in for a great seiyuu performance. She goes through three distinct breathy notes, and somehow the combination is just hilarious, and communicates something about her personality.

I think Yamakan is using a very standard but very effective technique of starting things with something unusual and extended. The anime opening, coming out of the clouds and down onto the tree, gathers our attention so that we are entirely in the anime and ready for Jin's first line. Nagi's humorous exhalation stands out and fixes our attention on the new main character. Lots of movies start with something similar. The best example I can recall is a movie that started with a very loud plane landing over your head.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 15:55   Link #186
JediNight
キズランダム

Well actually, the "Puwaaaah!" SFX was in the start of the manga as well.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 16:55   Link #187
Eric10301

This definitely seems to be one of the more promising shows this season. Really dug the animation and voice acting.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 17:20   Link #188
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye.. .so far my only ding is "whats up with the clothiing and undergarments" with an incarnation of a tree spirit? Kind of like seeing King Henry IV check his wristwatch before his big speech.....
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 17:22   Link #189
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye.. .so far my only ding is "whats up with the clothiing and undergarments" with an incarnation of a tree spirit?
She's gotta at least know about them, i mean she did say she heard about a television from someone.
Old 2008-10-08, 17:26   Link #190
Midonin
Last Engage

She was wearing clothes when she saw young Jin in spirit form, so perhaps when her "body" streamlined a bit, the clothing did as well.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 17:42   Link #191
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

meh, we can make up whatever rationalization we want I suppose. She was in temple miko garb when she encountered Jin as a youth. I suppose one could say she'd been keeping an eye on what visitors wore and said through the years so she had some unconscious memories to use as incarnation references... or that Jin provided some mental references himself unconsciously when she incarnated.

Just would have made a bit more sense naked or in ancient garb to my brain FNAR.
Old 2008-10-08, 18:04   Link #192
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
But ancient garb would not look so good... And naked would remind too much of Horo.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 18:17   Link #193
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
But ancient garb would not look so good... And naked would remind too much of Horo.
Says who...

It would have been nice if she wore something similar to the flashbacks, but thats just the ramblings of someone with a Miko fetish...*cough*

I did rewatch it and enjoy the show some more then my initial impression Right now I'm just wondering where the story is going to go...Chasing down little malignant things of the week or something? And no that was not a challenge for someone to post a bunch of giant spoilers from the manga...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 18:31   Link #194
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well for me the ancient garb is actually overused. There are quite a few animes with that while modern clothes (not just school uniforms) are not so very common or at least not so repetitive as ancient garb (which always look rather similar). Well and I think it is just more stylish.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 18:46   Link #195
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My suspicion is that the "impurities" thing may get shunted aside as Nagi becomes distracted by modern life (note how she is entranced by the tv) and we'll probably see her get caught up in some idol stuff as the OP portrays. At some point, the impurities will grow til some crisis emerges. Then we may find out whether this is a bittersweet tale or not.

Pure speculation on my part of course as I've not read the manga (there are 5 volumes out --- putting it on my "getto" list).

Guilty pleasure: I could listen to Kannagi's first sound after bursting from her statue ... um, repeatedly.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-08 at 19:55.
Old 2008-10-08, 19:40   Link #196
Joachim
et tu, brute?

wow the 1st episode is surprisingly good, i totally love the op song and the overall animation and screenplay.

and yea the voice acting, damn nagi... so MOEEE arghh i keep rewinding the part where she and jin go to the shrine to see the tree was cut down from the moment she kick jin the first time and then the second one that was pure lol and moe, the one where she somehow start singing some kind of old song in that scene was also pure LOL for me, oh and the random pun she put together in the 1st episode.. LOL

definitely a watch for me

anyway did i heard shinku voice in the phone? (rozen maiden's shinku) wow, i love her voice acting, can someone confirm whether she was in the voice actor list in this show?
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:01   Link #197
Joachim
et tu, brute?

forgot to say.. i was surprised it was tomatsu haruka that was singing both op and ed.. and yeah her voice is that good, not to mention she's capable of many role.. i'm really digging her voice now
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:46   Link #198
GreatTeacherKen

Yes, the girl on the phone was played by Miyuki Sawashiro (Shinku's VA)

Great first episode. The jokes were dead-on hilarious and the animation and voice acting added a lot of life and personality to the characters.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:59   Link #199
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I do wonder how the anime going to handle the serious scenes.

Spoiler for Manga spoiler:

With ex Haruhi S1 director technical expertise, I do have confidence it can pull it off correctly. I hope.
Old 2008-10-08, 21:16   Link #200
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
This show = amazing.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, romance, shounen