AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2008-02-08, 15:41   Link #1
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Shared Cable Connection Issues

okay silly question... somethign about internet connections beign split.. i know nothing about these things -_-;

i'm getting a new pc, which will be placed on my room which is int he attic, now we have a pc on the 2nd floor that is linked to the modem downstairs with a cable through the wall ( we have cable connection) but what i was wondering was about the possibilities when it comes to having internet on two pc's.. i know only little things... like a splitter but i ahve no idea hwo it works
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 15:43   Link #2
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
okay silly question... somethign about internet connections beign split.. i know nothing about these things -_-;

i'm getting a new pc, which will be placed on my room which is int he attic, now we have a pc on the 2nd floor that is linked to the modem downstairs with a cable through the wall ( we have cable connection) but what i was wondering was about the possibilities when it comes to having internet on two pc's.. i know only little things... like a splitter but i ahve no idea hwo it works
Just get a Cat5 cable long enough to reach your computer and the modem downstairs ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by NightWish; 2008-02-10 at 07:41.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 16:38   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Just get a Cat5 cable long enough to reach your computer and the modem downstairs ^^
Assuming it's a regular modem and not a modem-router combination, -KarumA- will need some additional equipment.

First, here's how to tell if your modem is a regular modem or a modem-router. If it's a regular modem, it should only have one ethernet port on the back. If it's a modem-router, it should have at least two, although standard modem-routers have four (the exact number doesn't matter, as long as there's more than one).

If you have a regular modem, you have some choices.

1) Buy a router. A router may need to be configured to let applications let BitTorrent work properly, but modern routers are quite easy to manage and don't really require any added modifications. The router will need to be linked to the modem through an ethernet cable, but will give you four new ports. If you get a wireless router and buy a wireless card for your computer, you won't even need to worry about cable placement. Wireless is not a good option if there'll be many walls between your computer and the router, though.

2) Buy a second ethernet card for your other computer, and then use it as a gateway for your computer. This will require some added configuration to the host computer and isn't as pleasant to work with as a router. Your host computer will have to be on for your computer to have internet, too. At this point in time, this option isn't much cheaper than getting a router.

If your internet service provider has given you static IPs (most don't), you also have some other options. I'll be brief on them as they probably don't apply to you, but I'll list them as reference.

3) Buy a hub. Most hubs have at least five ports, but can have as many as 100. A hub simply sends the data around to all connected devices. Other devices will ignore the data, and the intended device will recognize it and take it.

4) Buy a switch. A switch is a more intelligent hub, as it sends the data only to the devices that are communicating with each other. A switch is beneficial under extremely high-bandwidth conditions, where bandwidth would be lost by a hub's sending data to every connected device.

Note that the maximum length for an ethernet cable is around 330 feet. My recommendation for your network setup is to get a cheap router (you can browse for some), unplug your current computer and connect the ethernet cable to the router, and then buy two ethernet cables: a short one and a longer one. Wire the first computer to the router with the shorter cable, and then wire your computer to the router with the longer cable. Nice!

Just a note about routers: if you are a heavy BitTorrent user or do heavy gaming, don't be too cheap with the router. Cheaper routers will tend to freeze up over heavy network activity and need to be rebooted more often, which is quite annoying. I can highly recommend the D-Link 4300, but it's a wireless router (useless feature you won't need) and it's rather pricey. I picked it up for $75 at a sale, but the price listed there is pretty expensive by comparison... either way, it's a solid router. Consider getting something cheaper if you're only doing light internet activities.
Old 2008-02-10, 07:29   Link #4
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

okay another question, new pc is installed i got internet etc. now in the attic..
they split up the cable or something for both computers, now im not sure if it makes any difference in the connection you have.. but when people ask me what kind of connection i have i still ahve the same right? which is cable for as far as i can remember =x

i was wonderign about this because when my dad is gaming ont he other computer my download speed is 1kb/ps or 0 and the connection even now stays on a yellow colour in my bittornado after i configured my firewall witht he settings i have downstairs.. to seek a solution i was just wondering what my connection is called now =x cause bittornado says somehtign about firewall and proxyserver though i dont believe that i have a proxyserver... bleeh its so confussing
Old 2008-02-10, 07:41   Link #5
xris
Just call me Ojisan
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Quote:
okay another question
I suggest you post this question in the Tech Support forum. This thread is really the wrong place to ask this sort of question
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 07:43   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
they split up the cable or something for both computers, now im not sure if it makes any difference in the connection you have.. but when people ask me what kind of connection i have i still ahve the same right? which is cable for as far as i can remember =x
When people ask what your connection is they're generally referring to your connection to the internet. Based on what you're saying, you use your cable service for internet, so you're still using cable.

The way that the cables were "split" is essential to know for optimizing your connection. The reason you're having issues with BitTorrent clients isn't because of your firewall, but because of what your computer's data is going through before it goes to the modem and is sent out to the internet. If your family is using a router, you'll need to make some adjustments to the router's configuration - either set up port forwarding (see port-forward.com to find a guide on how to do it for your router - know your router model ahead of time) or enable UPnP support in your router (UPnP is easier to use, in my opinion).

If the connection is going through your father's computer and then to yours, the configuration gets a bit trickier. I don't have any experience with that and can't recommend anything off the top of my head, but if you create a thread about it in the tech support forum you'll be helped for sure. But before that, you need to find out how it is that the internet is being shared.
Old 2008-02-10, 09:03   Link #7
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The way that the cables were "split" is essential to know for optimizing your connection. The reason you're having issues with BitTorrent clients isn't because of your firewall, but because of what your computer's data is going through before it goes to the modem and is sent out to the internet. If your family is using a router, you'll need to make some adjustments to the router's configuration - either set up port forwarding (see port-forward.com to find a guide on how to do it for your router - know your router model ahead of time) or enable UPnP support in your router (UPnP is easier to use, in my opinion).
uuhm how do i figure out what router i have?

EDIT: saw downstairs that theres a new device called Conceptronic =P my bad
i guess this is it, Conceptronic 4 port, firewall boradband router

bad thing is when you boot up the program, you need to pick your router from the list, i dont see mine in it.. even after updating it

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2008-02-10 at 09:21.
Old 2008-02-10, 09:51   Link #8
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Have you looked for the routers model number 'cause I just looked on the port forwarding website and they list 5 routers under conceptronic (if you can't see your specific model there then try one of the others that are listed and see if they can help).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 10:18   Link #9
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Have you looked for the routers model number 'cause I just looked on the port forwarding website and they list 5 routers under conceptronic (if you can't see your specific model there then try one of the others that are listed and see if they can help).
http://www.conceptronic.net/site/Des...Prod=C100BRS4H

thats the router i have so i guess the number is C100BRS4H (?)
the label at the bottom has this number on it C100BRS4H 77C2800651

edit: would it help any if i buy a more expensive acount at my provider, by that meaning a faster one? my mom was talking about buying a better one, but im not sure if it has any effect..

and with a router, does the dl speed speed up when the other pc is turned off?

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2008-02-10 at 11:42.
Old 2008-02-10, 12:36   Link #10
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
http://www.conceptronic.net/site/Des...Prod=C100BRS4H

thats the router i have so i guess the number is C100BRS4H (?)
the label at the bottom has this number on it C100BRS4H 77C2800651

edit: would it help any if i buy a more expensive acount at my provider, by that meaning a faster one? my mom was talking about buying a better one, but im not sure if it has any effect..

If your maximum download speed is 1000Kb. And the other PC is downloading at 750Kb. It's a given that your computer won't get more than 250Kb max... If the other PC is turned off. You can get the full 1000Kb of course. Your just sharing one connection with two computers... Depending if the speed will go up would be a NO. Unless the second computer is always leeching at maximun of your download speed, thus using more of the available bandwidth to you.

And about the question if you should upgrade your provided. It depends on your internet use. If you never reach the maximum download/upload than there is no need to spend money for something you won't use. And uhu. Port forwarding and providers have nothing to do with each other

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 13:03   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
If your maximum download speed is 1000Kb. And the other PC is downloading at 750Kb. It's a given that your computer won't get more than 250Kb max... If the other PC is turned off. You can get the full 1000Kb of course. Your just sharing one connection with two computers... Depending if the speed will go up would be a NO. Unless the second computer is always leeching at maximun of your download speed, thus using more of the available bandwidth to you.

And about the question if you should upgrade your provided. It depends on your internet use. If you never reach the maximum download/upload than there is no need to spend money for something you won't use. And uhu. Port forwarding and providers have nothing to do with each other
well on my old computer my download speed was atleased 250 - 300 kb/s
when there are enough seeders/leechers ofc

right now ive got my old pc turned off, by that meanign completely turned off, my download speed for a file that should have enough seeders/leechers (its a new RAW of a populair series that has atleased 500 seeders atm) is 3 kb/ps and ive connected to only 1 seeder, my connection line is still yellow... (and it has been 30 mins, everytime ive tried today ti didnt go off the yellow even witht he other pc turned off)

EDIT: i am trying somethign now with my comodo settings when it comes to acces through several ports.. im gonan check if this works
right now my dl speed has fgone up and ive connected to several more seeders, though the connection is still yellow so anything can still happen but i hope this works

EDIT2: /sigh it stays around 9 kb/ps ...
i guess i remain stuckw ith dling on my other computer during the day though i ahvent checked if the dling speed on that pc has also changed...
=< mew

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2008-02-10 at 13:21.
Old 2008-02-10, 13:31   Link #12
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

The reason that it's slow is because your ports aren't forwarded. If you forward it properly you get your old speed back. And yellow means your port isn't forwarded properly for your bittorent client. It has to be green. I can't help you more than what is already said about portforward.com for opening the ports.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 13:36   Link #13
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
The reason that it's slow is because your ports aren't forwarded. If you forward it properly you get your old speed back. And yellow means your port isn't forwarded properly for your bittorent client. It has to be green. I can't help you more than what is already said about portforward.com for opening the ports.
i think ive found it =3
i thought you needed the program they had listed in it so i had that one installed..
i found the router etc. ont heir website.. right now doing those things
Old 2008-02-10, 14:18   Link #14
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

okay im doing these steps
http://portforward.com/english/route...BitTornado.htm

but right now im stuck :P
im at the part where you fill in your ip address in your browser and get a screen to fill in your username and password
well bad hting is my screen looks different, its blue and has a small square with the letters LOGIN PASSWORD
Password: <fill password here though it wasnt int he screen its a white empty bar>
and then 2 buttons Log in and Cancel

i tried to fill in the default password but that oen doesnt work.. how can i figure out what the password is?

EDIT: NM the default for my router is that it doesnt have a password yet lol

EDIT2: okay im int he router general setup int he Port Foward menu in the NAT section
but mine looks different thent he one they have listed in the images... so i have no qlue on what i should do...

this is my screen
i dont know what to fill int he places atm because it isnt the same screen as you see in the walkthrough
(should i enter my static IP or my normal IP address int he top)

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2008-02-10 at 14:34.
Old 2008-02-10, 15:00   Link #15
Ledgem
Love Yourself

As I said before, go with the UPnP before trying to do port forwarding because it is infinitely easier. I can see that your modem-router supports some form of UPnP because in that picture you posted there is an option on the left that says "UPnP settings." I don't know what settings it can give you beyond "enable" or "disable" but enable it and then make sure that your BitTorrent client is also set to use UPnP. If both are set to use UPnP and you're still having problems, try telling both to not use UPnP, save the configuration, and then re-enable UPnP.

If that still doesn't work, then we'll move on to the port forwarding.

Quote:

A more expensive account would give you faster overall internet speeds, but as was mentioned the reason why your speeds are currently suffering is because your client can't properly connect with the others.

As to your second question, the router shares the connection. If the other computer is on but not doing anything with the connection, then your computer could theoretically use the entire connection to itself. If the other computer is actively downloading as well, then both of your computers will be competing for the available bandwidth (transfer speeds). In this case, having a faster connection (more expensive account from your provider, perhaps) would increase the total overall speed available, and would make sharing under that sort of condition a bit less painful.
Old 2008-02-10, 15:09   Link #16
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
As I said before, go with the UPnP before trying to do port forwarding because it is infinitely easier. I can see that your modem-router supports some form of UPnP because in that picture you posted there is an option on the left that says "UPnP settings." I don't know what settings it can give you beyond "enable" or "disable" but enable it and then make sure that your BitTorrent client is also set to use UPnP. If both are set to use UPnP and you're still having problems, try telling both to not use UPnP, save the configuration, and then re-enable UPnP.

If that still doesn't work, then we'll move on to the port forwarding.

lol sorry then becaus ei had no clue onw hat you emant by that

this is the screen that belongs to the UPnP settings

do i set bittornado to one port and fill that one in UPnP Port Number ? (and ofc set Bittornado setting to UPnP Portwarding one)
Old 2008-02-10, 15:20   Link #17
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
do i set bittornado to one port and fill that one in UPnP Port Number ? (and ofc set Bittornado setting to UPnP Portwarding one)
I've never seen a router where you could specify a UPnP port number. In most modern clients there is no option to fill in a UPnP port number, either. If your client gives you the option, list that port. If it doesn't, pray that it finds it on its own
Old 2008-02-10, 15:25   Link #18
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
This should help out

I did a bit of looking and I found out that you have the v2 version of that router so this guide should help out more (besides I hate UPnP with a passion since it never workes right on my old philips router).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 15:41   Link #19
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
This should help out

thanks, but the bad thing now is that when i press int he static IP address int he browser i get this message instead of the log in
Duplicate Administrator
This device is managed by 192.168.2.2 currently!!
(edit ym bad again if orgot the type here the static ip step XP)

(could that be because my dad is now on his pc?)

EDIT: im first going to continiue with the UPnP method and see if that changes anything

EDIT3: lol it doesnt work now it just stays red, UPnP fails XD

EDIT4: finally completed the guide (/cheer finally!)
im still waiting for something to happen but my connection is now yellow, 3 seeds and 4 kb/ps but my dad is gaming downstairs atm so it wont be fast like i want it to anyway
i'll check tommorow if it makes any difference, so ill reply about that then

i still had a question, i read somewhere that your IP address changes everytime you reboot.. i think mine does as well and im nto exactly sure but to prevent the settings from being discarded when i turn my pc off i had to fill int he static IP address right?
i was wondering if i had to change things everytime i booted up

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2008-02-10 at 15:59.
Old 2008-02-10, 16:54   Link #20
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Your router is likely set to DHCP, where it assigns your computer an IP each time. Some routers let you specify an IP for a computer based on the computer's hardware, but only my high-end router lets me do that. If you tell your computer what IP to take, most routers will just give the computer that IP (as long as it's within the range of IPs that the router assigns).

Note that if you do that, you might want to change the IP to be in the upper range of what the router assigns. For example, let's say right now you're using 192.168.2.1. If you tell your computer to take that IP, it'll always try to grab it. However, it's the first IP your router assigns. Routers assign IPs in numerical order, counting up. If you leave your computer off for a while and someone else connects to the router, their computer will take that IP. When you turn your computer on, you'd get a message about an IP conflict and your internet wouldn't work. Most routers seem to be set to assign up to 50 IPs by default. Assuming yours is the same, you'd want to tell your computer to take 192.168.2.49 (or something similarly high) as it's very unlikely that you'll ever have enough people connecting to the router such that a conflict would occur.