AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-30, 00:25   Link #1
cedec0

I hate government propaganda in visual novels (like Grisaia no Kajitsu)

I was reading Grisaia no Kajitsu and I felt compelled to start this thread to highlight an issue some people might not be aware of.

So the purpose of this quick thread is:

A) Make people about the common practice of inserting government propaganda into TV shows, movies, and other media (like visual novels.)
B) Point out a few examples of blatant propaganda in visual novels.
C) Quick rant about how this propaganda seriously degrades readers’ enjoyment of visual novels (whether they are aware of it or not).

--------------------------------

Part A: How government propaganda secretly inserted into TV shows

Here is an example of anti-drug propaganda inserted into TV shows:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-e...t-2011-12?op=1

Quote:
Government propaganda secretly inserted into TV shows like 'ER'

A six-month investigation by Salon in 2000 revealed that the ONDCP was paying networks millions of dollars to secretly embed anti-drug messaging into their regular programming.

The money came out the Congress approved $1 billion allocation for ad-buys. Networks embedded ONDCP approved messages in their television scripts in lieu of ad slots owed to the government.

"ER" received $1.4 million worth of ad time in exchange for several episodes featuring anti-drug subplots, for instance.

The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Use filed a complaint against the practice, and the FCC eventually ruled that the networks would have to identify the ONDCP as a sponsor of the television programs.

The federal government went into the scriptwriting business

The ONDCP gave networks a total of $25 million to add anti-drug related subplots, but did it have control over what actually appeared in the programs' scripts as well?

While many networks denied giving over control of their scripts, a contractor at the WB told Salon at the time that their storylines did change, using an episode of "Smart Guy" as an example. While teens drinking at a party were originally depicted as cool, their social status changed after the ONDCP saw the script.

“We showed that they were losers and put them [hidden away to indulge in shamed secrecy] in a utility room. That was not in the original script."

Here is an example of global warming propaganda inserted into TV shows:

http://hauntingthelibrary.wordpress....paganda-on-tv/

Quote:
CDC Funding Fictional Warming Propaganda On TV
Posted on January 28, 2011

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention, an American government agency, is funding attempts to persuade people of global warming through fictional TV shows.

Climate Pravda reports that a organization called Hollywood Health and Society (HHS) which is funded by the CDC “and several other government sources” as well as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, will work with writers to introduce ideas into TV shows and movies to help push the line that global warming is man-made and catastrophic. It explains that this will not be acknowledged in the credits, as it will be entirely “behind the scenes”:

The folks at HHS do not produce or write TV shows or movies. They don’t appear in the credits. They don’t do public advocacy or political lobbying. They work almost entirely behind the scenes, directly with writers, who come to them to make sure the health issues portrayed in their stories are accurate, or to get ideas for compelling stories based on real health problems.

Just to be absolutely clear on what the CDC and other government bodies are funding here through HHS: this isn’t documentary or factual television we’re talking about, but inserting references to global warming into fictional TV shows and movies.

More reading on the subject:

California Asks TV Networks to Push Obamacare In TV Shows - With Your Money
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...are-In-Sitcoms

Propaganda Selling the NDAA though TV SHow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-mdb_UoTgQ

Government Propaganda To Infest Network TV Shows
http://www.prisonplanet.com/governme...-tv-shows.html

Part B: Examples of propaganda in visual novels

(these are just a few off the top of my head)

Grisaia no Kajitsu

Here is some global warming propaganda in Grisaia no Kajitsu (which I am currently reading and prompted me to write this post)

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Problem is that man-made global warming is not real. The earth has warmed just 0.5 degrees over the past 50 years. (See IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE THAT OFFICIAL PREDICTIONS OF GLOBAL CLIMATE WARMING HAVE BEEN CATASTROPHICALLY FLAWED)

That section Grisaia no Kajitsu also contains propaganda promoting the safety of “tuna scrape”.

Images

“Tuna scrape” is NOT safe. (See Tuna Scrape: The Food Safety Risk Lurking in Supermarket Sushi).

Governments have been allowing cheap unhealthy/dangerous food substitutes into the food distribution in order to keep down inflation. Meat that was formerly used in dog food is turned into “pink slime” and served in school lunches. Leftover tuna that was formerly used in cat food is turned into “tuna scrape” and served as suchi.

To know more about the discusting things governments have been allowing into our food, try googling:

“pink slime”
“meat glue”
“tuna scrape”
“crushed cochineal beetles” + Starbucks
“horse-meat scandal”
“dog-meat scandal”
“fish fraud”
Etc…

There is also a fair amount of anti-drug propaganda in Grisaia no Kajitsu when you look for it.

Da Capo II

An unavoidable part at the beginning of the novel features some global warming propaganda:

Images

Hoshizora no Memoria

Huge amount of “UFO nonsense”.

Whenever a character believes in government conspiracies and cover-ups in a visual novel, that character is always idiot who “believes” in UFO. The message is simple and powerful:

Someone who believes in government cover-ups = raving lunatic

Unfortunately, government cover-ups/conspiracies are real, especially in Japan. Try googling: “government cover up fukushima”

The purpose of all the UFO nonsense in Hoshizora no Memoria, Da capo II, and other visual novels is a direct attempt to discredit whistleblowers who warn about Fukushima, and other government cover ups.

Part C: The rant

The worst part of this inserted government propaganda is that it is always the most unreadable part of the visual novel. Since it is government propaganda added to product (visual novel) after the script is written. These sections stand out like a soar thumb in turns of poor quality and being out of place with the plot.

Did anyone enjoy that “tunafish man” part of Grisaia no Kajitsu?
Did anyone enjoy that endless UFO nonsense in Hoshizora no Memoria?

Knowing that these sections were added for the sole purpose of deceiving the reader only makes it worse.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-30 at 11:54. Reason: moved images to images tags
Old 2013-07-30, 01:06   Link #2
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数

You know...some of that is meant as a tongue-in-cheek dig at real life....
Old 2013-07-30, 08:07   Link #3
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

While you have made a point that U.S. government funds propaganda in popular show, you haven't provided any convincing evidence that the Japanese government or any government is paying visual novel studio for their propaganda.

Just because there is propaganda it doesn't automatically means that "it's all the government's fault". Sometimes an author makes propaganda because he wants.

Moreover this is hardly believable considering that Visual Novels are far from being a popular medium and therefore the message would be wasted.
If it was popular anime and manga we were talking about like "One Piece" or "Bleach" then I'd be more inclined to believe it, if the basic assumption is that the message is aimed at young people.

Anyway I sense more propaganda in this topic than in all the VN I've read put together. To the point that I have a doubt whether the purpose is actually to talk about something related to VN rather than government conspiracies.

Old 2013-07-30, 08:26   Link #4
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Oh wow, what a bunch of youngesters . I feel like a grandfather here.

Listen, Global Warming warning in anime has been around since DORAMON, you know, the magic cat who visit Nobita with wonderful gadgets in the 70s and 80s. Japan, China and most countries in the world don't regard global warming as some kind of liberal myth.

Also, for anti-drug campaigns? Go play the original Street Fighter, they will pop up an FBI message saying "Winner don't use drugs" and it has been a standard in the industry (at least arcade) for a very long time. We all learned to live with it.

It is not like the Government tried to ask you to vote for the republican party....
Old 2013-07-30, 08:36   Link #5
sa547
*Author

This ain't new: governments of all kinds do sometimes have to work with the entertainment industry -- moreso in times of war -- to produce propaganda materials to help spread awareness about issues and/or policies.

But, no offense, the arguments presented in the first post reminds me of a certain forum member who's convinced that RT is "more truthful" than most US news networks.
Old 2013-07-30, 08:46   Link #6
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

You do not understand how much important nature and environment is to the Japanese. It's not "propaganda", it's a real concern for the future. Of course Americans tend to think anything that may sway them from their lives of endless consumption is propaganda.
Old 2013-07-30, 09:06   Link #7
Key Board
Donut

it's not government "propaganda"
it's environmentalism "propaganda"
and it's not exclusive to Japanese or Virtual Novels
nor is it exclusive to government
game makers are people too and they form their own opinions

speaking of which, ever seen Earth Girl Arjuna? completely shameless environmentalism propaganda. That's a textbook example of what I would call propaganda.

but that's not exclusive to Japan either

If you're looking for something that is distinctively Japanse, look for anti-nuclear energy themes in their shows.

//
Old 2013-07-30, 09:08   Link #8
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Listen, Global Warming warning in anime has been around since DORAMON, you know, the magic cat who visit Nobita with wonderful gadgets in the 70s and 80s. Japan, China and most countries in the world don't regard global warming as some kind of liberal myth.
Was it really "global warming"? To my knowledge the term and the concept is relatively new.

Back in the 80s what I remember were a lot of talks about the Ozone hole.

The two ecological issues are similar in that they both cause the melting of the ice shelves of Antarctica but in the past it wasn't really about a general warming on a global scale but a localized warming of polar areas.

Also back then the main enemy was "CFC" now it's "CO2"

Of course this knowledge is mainly based on what was publicized in my country, but I'd be surprised the concept of "global warming" already existed in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

Ever seen Earth Girl Arjuna? completely shameless environmentalism propaganda

//
You made a good point. The government has generally very little interest in this kind of propaganda, if the government is involved is more likely that a few politicians are part or being paid by some kind of lobby.
So if you want to complain about something complain about the lobbies, not the government.

And yes Earth Girl Arjuna was criminally retarded. I'm all for environmentalism but I don't think that the "noble end" justifies spreading blatant lies and outright misinformation.

Old 2013-07-30, 09:13   Link #9
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
not is it exclusive to government
game makers are people too and they form their own opinions

speaking of which, ever seen Earth Girl Arjuna? completely shameless environmentalism propaganda

If you're looking for something that is distinctively Japanse, look for anti-nuclear energy themes in their shows.
//
^Implying spreading awareness of humans' negative effects on the environment is a bad thing?
Old 2013-07-30, 09:16   Link #10
Key Board
Donut

not the way Arjuna does it

it's completely biased and misanthropic

"insects only eat dead plants, unlike humans who ruin everything" <== paraphrased quote from the show
Old 2013-07-30, 11:07   Link #11
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
it's completely biased and misanthropic

"insects only eat dead plants, unlike humans who ruin everything" <== paraphrased quote from the show
In Doramon, Dora and friends (especially during traveling into the past) often comment how terrible humans are for making some of these species they see extinct in present time. It is just a regular point of view.

Quote:
Back in the 80s what I remember were a lot of talks about the Ozone hole.

The two ecological issues are similar in that they both cause the melting of the ice shelves of Antarctica but in the past it wasn't really about a general warming on a global scale but a localized warming of polar areas.

Also back then the main enemy was "CFC" now it's "CO2"

Of course this knowledge is mainly based on what was publicized in my country, but I'd be surprised the concept of "global warming" already existed in Japan.
Several Doramon stories involving mentioning Polar Ice melting, I do believe it was ozone though. But the concept of Global Warming is certainly there. The Chinese believed it as well.

They also mention species extinction (due to mankind's actions) as well as exhaustion of natural resources.

Quote:
speaking of which, ever seen Earth Girl Arjuna? completely shameless environmentalism propaganda. That's a textbook example of what I would call propaganda.

American games does it too...Deux Ex has NPCs on the street commenting is 2040 and people still refuse to believe in Global warming.
Old 2013-07-30, 11:23   Link #12
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

game decide to include weal world issue

CONSPIRACY!
Old 2013-07-30, 11:46   Link #13
hyl
sneaking like a cat

I never thought the whole Maguro man scenes from Grisaia no Kajitsu (and Meikyuu) as propaganda, but rather a parody. The only 2 watching that "show" were Makino and Sachi and they never even mention the content, but rather how cool Maguro Man is (and in Sachi's case in Meikyuu the sharkman or whatever he was called).
Plus the Maguro man scene served no purpose in the story, well maybe except to show how childish those 2 heroines are and Yuuji not understanding what he was watching

I think you are overreacting to the whole VN's spark propaganda thing, because the great majority of them don't have such propaganda topics and your only examples are coincidently from the few VN's that are translated in English.

Also what is even the point of delivering that message in VN's and eroges? It's even more niche than animes and the overall audience reading those are even far less in numbers than animes. If i wanted to bring up those messages, then i would have done that using media that attracts a much larger audience
Old 2013-07-30, 12:06   Link #14
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedec0 View Post
Problem is that man-made global warming is not real. The earth has warmed just 0.5 degrees over the past 50 years. (See IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE THAT OFFICIAL PREDICTIONS OF GLOBAL CLIMATE WARMING HAVE BEEN CATASTROPHICALLY FLAWED)
Daily Mail. Yeah. Not exactly the leading forefront of science. The whole article reads like a cherry picked editorial with an agenda against global warming.

In real science, we learn how to read charts properly. Things like means and medians, trend lines....you know, the stuff of heretics, blasphemers, and witches.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/graphics.php?g=47
Old 2013-07-30, 12:33   Link #15
Eragon
Star Crossed, literally.

Quote:
Haha, that line on global warming reminded me of the "experts" on the documentary "The Great Global Warming Swindle."
Old 2013-07-30, 12:51   Link #16
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Can we not turn a game forum topic into a political topic meant for general forums?
Old 2013-07-30, 13:05   Link #17
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Can we not turn a game forum topic into a political topic meant for general forums?
You're right, my bad. Thread closed.