AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-07, 13:28   Link #81
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Yes, of course. I listened to the English dub because that's the main thing that's new in the release.
Old 2008-10-12, 14:43   Link #82
Xanas

Send a message via ICQ to Xanas Send a message via AIM to Xanas Send a message via MSN to Xanas Send a message via Yahoo to Xanas
Hey, it's nice to see a very fair review of the dub on fansub related forums. I don't see that as often as I like.

I felt the dub was mostly good, but the "voracious eater" in episode 4 was a bit annoying. Other than that, I think they did a good job. I had some concerns about Todd Haberkorn, but he has done fairly good. (I watched him first in Shuffle as Itsuki and in XXXHolic, which was much much different, but seeing him in the Ghosthunt dub right before watching Claymore showed that he does have a reasonable amount of versatility along with his unique vocal quality).
Old 2008-10-14, 01:14   Link #83
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

I ordered it about 2 months ago and I still haven't received my DVD + artbox. I guess it takes some time before it is shipped to europe

At least I am glad to hear that the dubs were good.

Also can someone who has the dvd tell me if the original japanese track has also 5.1 dolby?

Since I mostly will use the original track because to me Clare and Teresa in japanese are the voices as they should be.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2008-10-14, 01:54   Link #84
Captain Yoruichi
Yoruichi Biased! ^_^

Send a message via AIM to Captain Yoruichi
I would have gotten mine today except for it being Columbus Day.

So it should come in the mail tomorrow. Work's gonna be torture knowing I got Claymore at home waiting for me.

Not that I haven't already watched it, but this time I'll be able to watch it on a big screen tv.
Old 2008-10-14, 03:28   Link #85
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
I ordered it about 2 months ago and I still haven't received my DVD + artbox. I guess it takes some time before it is shipped to europe
The fact you ordered it 2 months ago doesn't really matter, the official release date was only today, 14th October, after all

It depends where you ordered it from. Some on-line shops do ship the goods up to 14 days before the official release date so have you received a shipping confirmation? Then it also depends on the shipping method, air mail or surface mail. On average when DVDPacific ship DVDs to me (from the U.S. to the U.K.) by surface mail it takes about 10 to 14 days, air mail takes about 5 days. Lastly, since you ordered the DVD+artbox, then it is possible it has been deleayed by your Customs. In the U.K. this can be the longest delay since it can take about 2 weeks to clear Customs.
Old 2008-10-14, 10:59   Link #86
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

Hehe I know that it is not reasonable to expect it already.

I did order it from a belgium online firm, normally it takes 1 day to be delivered when they have the goods in stock. However it appears they haven't received their shipment yet.

So I guess I just have to be a little more patienced :-)
Old 2008-10-14, 14:12   Link #87
hell88
Banned

Location: Canada, but sometimes in La La-Land hanging out with Midori-chan89
I saw a clip of it, they make Raki sound so much more like a guy than a whiney little brat.
Old 2008-10-14, 16:23   Link #88
NobodyMan
Trying to be somebody

Send a message via MSN to NobodyMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hell88 View Post
I saw a clip of it, they make Raki sound so much more like a guy than a whiney little brat.
Heh, yeah, he only spoke one line in the trailer, but I already like his dub voice better.

The dub sounds pretty good, perhaps I'll check it out sometime.

Sig made by Yumii-chan.
Avi made by Woodburner
Old 2008-10-15, 02:36   Link #89
Captain Yoruichi
Yoruichi Biased! ^_^

Send a message via AIM to Captain Yoruichi
I haven't watched the dub yet, but the little book thing that came with the edition I got listed some of the voice actors. Out of them, there's only two names I recognize.

Miria = Monica Rial
Ophelia = Luci Christian

I don't think Luci will work for Ophelia at all, but I guess I'll wait until I hear it before I decide.
Old 2008-10-24, 00:44   Link #90
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

Yesterday I finally received my ordered Claymore starters set and of course I immediately went seeing it :-)

A few things :

1. The appearance of the box which will contain all the dvd volumes is very striking. The random pieces of Clare (they never show her face completely) gives it an air of mystery. I would rank this as one of the better boxes I have seen lately.
- Good work Funimation! I would give it an 10 out of 10

2. The normal DVD layout is also very stylish on the front it shows Clare in an dynamic pose and on the back you see artful outtakes of different scenes of the first 5 episodes.
- Again good work. I would give it an 9 out of 10

3. Included in the box there is an small booklet with some additional information about Claymore + interviews. However to my dismay it contained massive spoilers some even gave information about Jean and Udine?? And Clare’s half-awaking and about Ophelia and Irene’s arm.
- For Claymore followers this spoiler would not be bad. However for new comers who seen the anime for the first time it would spoil a lot of fun. I can’t exactly understand what they were thinking. So for information I would give it an 8 / 10 however due to the spoilers I give it actually an 6/10.

4. The DVD menu layout, again stylish and also very clear done.
- I would give it 8/10

5. Then about the quality of the English DUB
- Much to my (biased) surprise it was actually very good. A lot of time I heard a lot of crappy dubs. However this is not the case for Claymore. Both the voices for Clare and Teresa sounded right on the mark. Also the supporting cast did their job very well. It appears that the director took a few small liberties in the translation however its nothing jarring. Take care though to have the English subtitles of when you listening to the English dub since it would cause confusion in some cases
- However the only complaint I could have is that Teresa sounds a little less ‘playfull’ then how Paki Romi displayed her. But it is not really a problem.
- I would give it an 9/10 (however its still early in the series of course)

6. Extras : There are of course the additional amount of trailers of other (new) series. There is an clean OP/ED. And an interview from the director and the actress who is voicing Clare (can’t recall her name).
- I would give it an 7/10.

7. Audio Tracks are available in 5.1 dolby for the Englisch track however as I feared the Japanese track is only in stereo.
- I was planning to give it an 6/10 since I am a fervent fan of having the Japanese audio track treated equally. However since in this case the quality of the English track is very good I give it an 7/10 (see point 5).

All in all I am very happy with the work Funimation delivered and I can hardly wait for the future releases of Claymore.
Old 2009-01-04, 15:29   Link #91
hell88
Banned

Location: Canada, but sometimes in La La-Land hanging out with Midori-chan89
You guys they made Irene sound horrible. I thought she sounded like a dying old woman.
Old 2009-01-05, 22:17   Link #92
dfens

I got the second volume day it came out and found a mistake in it. When episode 10 plays it says scene 9.

Was watching it thinking cool have one more episode to go and it was over.

The confusion probably was because episode 9-11 all have the same title name but say part 1,2, and 3.

And I think the subtitles are too small, have to sit pretty close to the TV to read them. I think the fan subs did a better job wording the script to make it easier to understand everything.
Old 2009-01-06, 12:59   Link #93
MisterJB
Warden of the West

wtf is with Priscilla's voice. She sounds like 27 years old
Old 2009-01-06, 13:10   Link #94
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell88 View Post
You guys they made Irene sound horrible. I thought she sounded like a dying old woman.
I second that.

I love how Noel just goes around screaming in every scene

Kyaaa
Kyaaa
LOL

Miria's voice is ok I guess...

They've done something wrong
Helen has Deneve's voice and Deneve has Helen's voice

Deneva?

Last edited by MisterJB; 2009-01-06 at 13:39.
Old 2009-02-12, 11:32   Link #95
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Send a message via AIM to Gangsta Spanksta Send a message via Yahoo to Gangsta Spanksta
Horrible, just Horrible, is how I describe this English dub. In many ways it is worse than some old ADV dubs such as the horrible Dirty Pair Flash dub. *shudders* Some of the voice acting is good, like Clare's voice or Teressa voice, though they do make the characters different from the Japanese version. The main real problem with this dub is that they give the voice actors way too much leeway in changing the content of what is said. Some of the added stuff even seems to conflict with the whole story as we have it at this point. Some of the voice acting is bad; characters are miscast. I mean, what is this whole Helen as a Valley Girl thing about? Who here expects Helen to speak Valspeak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valspeak)? Does it even make sense for a Medieval setting? Is there something wrong with the notion of Helen being an Airhead? :P It is as if they just had a bunch of girls from a local high school come in and attempt to do the voice acting -- very unprofessional. Anyway, I found myself banging my head on the keyboard many a times as I watch this atrocity. But really, what makes this worst that a even worse dubbed version is that they changed up the context of what was said. The Japanese version at least stayed close to the manga. Also Raki is the most annoying yet, a goody two shoes type, a tiny tim I am so innocent and naive type. Even Chibi-Clare was bad and I found myself not enjoying the Teresa of the faint smile arc, which I loved in the Japanese dub.

Last edited by Gangsta Spanksta; 2009-02-12 at 11:44.
Old 2009-02-13, 20:12   Link #96
LONEWOLF13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta Spanksta View Post
Horrible, just Horrible, is how I describe this English dub. In many ways it is worse than some old ADV dubs such as the horrible Dirty Pair Flash dub. *shudders* Some of the voice acting is good, like Clare's voice or Teressa voice, though they do make the characters different from the Japanese version. The main real problem with this dub is that they give the voice actors way too much leeway in changing the content of what is said. Some of the added stuff even seems to conflict with the whole story as we have it at this point. Some of the voice acting is bad; characters are miscast. I mean, what is this whole Helen as a Valley Girl thing about? Who here expects Helen to speak Valspeak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valspeak)? Does it even make sense for a Medieval setting? Is there something wrong with the notion of Helen being an Airhead? :P It is as if they just had a bunch of girls from a local high school come in and attempt to do the voice acting -- very unprofessional. Anyway, I found myself banging my head on the keyboard many a times as I watch this atrocity. But really, what makes this worst that a even worse dubbed version is that they changed up the context of what was said. The Japanese version at least stayed close to the manga. Also Raki is the most annoying yet, a goody two shoes type, a tiny tim I am so innocent and naive type. Even Chibi-Clare was bad and I found myself not enjoying the Teresa of the faint smile arc, which I loved in the Japanese dub.
If you dont like it then dont watch it besides it wasn't that bad...

Well you could be right about helen she didint sound well as an medieval warrior but more of an highschool student and an spoiled one too.

Last edited by LONEWOLF13; 2009-02-13 at 20:23.
Old 2009-02-14, 01:25   Link #97
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Send a message via AIM to Gangsta Spanksta Send a message via Yahoo to Gangsta Spanksta
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONEWOLF13 View Post
If you dont like it then dont watch it besides it wasn't that bad...

Well you could be right about helen she didint sound well as an medieval warrior but more of an highschool student and an spoiled one too.
It's not like I am some Japanese dub, subtitled version purist. I am just giving my review, and I have watched some bad dubs through and still enjoyed them. Take NGE for example, a bad ADV dub, but still watchable and enjoyable in english. Dirty Pair Flash is probably the worst dubbed anime I've watched. The problem with the Claymore dub is that they take too many liberties with the lines and change the context of things, add an over explanation as if you are too dumb to understand, conflict with things that happen later on in the manga, after the War in the North. I am also not a purist in the sense that I think it has to be a direct translation. Most english dubs do change things to sound better and that is fine, but this dub takes more liberties than any other dub I have ever heard. That is what is making wonder if this is worse than the dirty pair dub. To put it into context, it is like the french translation to huckleberry finn adding things to the story that weren't there before, instead of translating the actual story.
Old 2009-02-14, 07:55   Link #98
LONEWOLF13

Quote:
It's not like I am some Japanese dub, subtitled version purist. I am just giving my review, and I have watched some bad dubs through and still enjoyed them. Take NGE for example, a bad ADV dub, but still watchable and enjoyable in english. Dirty Pair Flash is probably the worst dubbed anime I've watched. The problem with the Claymore dub is that they take too many liberties with the lines and change the context of things, add an over explanation as if you are too dumb to understand, conflict with things that happen later on in the manga, after the War in the North. I am also not a purist in the sense that I think it has to be a direct translation. Most english dubs do change things to sound better and that is fine, but this dub takes more liberties than any other dub I have ever heard. That is what is making wonder if this is worse than the dirty pair dub. To put it into context, it is like the french translation to huckleberry finn adding things to the story that weren't there before, instead of translating the actual story.
Look i watched my fair shair worsed dubbing too you know and its not like putting a wine review to makes it better the anime was already losing it tastes since it wasint following the manga annymore (like Berserk for example)

Besides its not like they could do everything by the book you know and that is with most animes.
Old 2009-02-14, 13:01   Link #99
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONEWOLF13 View Post
Look i watched my fair shair worsed dubbing too you know and its not like putting a wine review to makes it better the anime was already losing it tastes since it wasint following the manga annymore (like Berserk for example)

Besides its not like they could do everything by the book you know and that is with most animes.
They don't have to do everything by the book. But changing the dialog, story, is over stepping the bounds a bit. They voice actors seem to add extra things to the dialog everywhere; it is like they didn't watch the Japanese dub, nor did they read the manga, or in other words they didn't do their research. Let me give you an example of something that can be potentially problematic: Clare talking about the aging process of Claymore, how is that going to effect the scene with Irene later on? It is quite possible that they are just going to have Irene explain it again to Clare, which will cause an inconsistency. When they are adding things they are adding them for the moment rather than taking the whole picture into consideration. But technical reasons aside, there is the real problem that they're doing it at all, for the same reasons that there is a problem if a french publisher starts adding things to Huckleberry Finn -- a point you didn't respond to. And yes, voice actors change things all the time to make things sound better in English, and that is alright, because they don't go out of context. To tell you the truth, this is the first time I've ever seen them add things, change the dialog, the context, to such extremes. I haven't watched many animes from funimation though, do they always dub things in such a manner? And sometimes the english dub to an anime can be better than the Japanese dub: Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo. Like I said, I am no purist, nor am I a perfectionist when it comes to English dub, but I do find it offensive what they have done to this dub in much the same way as I would find it offensive if someone added things to Huckleberry Finn instead of just translating it. And you know what? I'm totally in my rights here: I am just offering up my opinions on a thread whose purpose it is to collect opinions on the subject matter. I find it a bit silly to tell someone that they're being too harsh in an opinions thread...
Old 2009-02-15, 01:44   Link #100
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
They don't have to do everything by the book. But changing the dialog, story, is over stepping the bounds a bit. They voice actors seem to add extra things to the dialog everywhere; it is like they didn't watch the Japanese dub, nor did they read the manga, or in other words they didn't do their research. Let me give you an example of something that can be potentially problematic: Clare talking about the aging process of Claymore, how is that going to effect the scene with Irene later on? It is quite possible that they are just going to have Irene explain it again to Clare, which will cause an inconsistency. When they are adding things they are adding them for the moment rather than taking the whole picture into consideration. But technical reasons aside, there is the real problem that they're doing it at all, for the same reasons that there is a problem if a french publisher starts adding things to Huckleberry Finn -- a point you didn't respond to. And yes, voice actors change things all the time to make things sound better in English, and that is alright, because they don't go out of context. To tell you the truth, this is the first time I've ever seen them add things, change the dialog, the context, to such extremes. I haven't watched many animes from funimation though, do they always dub things in such a manner? And sometimes the english dub to an anime can be better than the Japanese dub: Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo. Like I said, I am no purist, nor am I a perfectionist when it comes to English dub, but I do find it offensive what they have done to this dub in much the same way as I would find it offensive if someone added things to Huckleberry Finn instead of just translating it. And you know what? I'm totally in my rights here: I am just offering up my opinions on a thread whose purpose it is to collect opinions on the subject matter. I find it a bit silly to tell someone that they're being too harsh in an opinions thread...
Heh. I have to chuckle.
I've been around anime for a long time (probably longer than you) and have seen all manner of bad dubs - some lots worse that Claymore. I'll never forget what ADV did to the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs, not to mention what Viz did to Video Girl Ai (they forcefully destroyed the love triangle that holds the series together plot wise by simply dubbing a love confession in [from a line which was a rejection no less]).
That said - do I watch dubs? Not anymore. I have decided it's simply not worth my time to watch them, when the orginal is available. (I watched ep 1 of Claymore in dub as an exception, but I didn't really feel like putting myself through anymore, so I stopped there)

With my background being what it is, may I suggest to you, that the reason this dub annoys you, is not because it's bad, but because it's not great. It's not worthy of an awesome series like Claymore. Claymore deserves better. Claymore deserves the best. I think you set your expectations high to a point that couldn't be reached by the current staff.

As to anyone at funimation being a fan of the series, if you listen to the DVD commentary for ep 1, you'll find out that the voice actor for Raki is a fan, as well as the adaptor of the english script (or was it casting director? or both? I forget), and in general their go to guy for all their Claymore related questions... He even mentions that he looked in on the large online following for Claymore (which is my estimation is this forum - so for all we know, he could be reading this now).

It's kinda a shame though because what I get from Claymore seems to be a little different from how English Raki sees it. It feels to me like they're missing the whole deeper dimension of the series somehow - as if they're just dubbing it action sequence after action sequence. As if some silly mouth flappings were more important to what the characters were feeling. I don't know how to describe it perfectly except something intangible is simply missing.

I guess I too like Claymore too much to enjoy the dub... As far as dubs go though - it's far from the worst of the lot. (though impossible to believe, they managed to make Raki even more annoying in the dub than the japanese version.)
Closed Thread