AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2008-02-15, 18:09   Link #1
SnowfairyX

Azureus help

This is the bittorent client I've used since the very beginning to download torrent files. But recently a certain family member was messing around with a different torrent program (LimeWire, mainly to download music) and now whenever I try to download something, the dialogue box that pops up on screen now says it's a LimeWire file instead of Azureus and would download, if I proceed, using the former instead of the latter which I vastly prefer. Although I've figured out how to manually download most files by going into "Open" in the "File" menu and entering in the URL, it doesn't seem to work with some others. So what I want to do is to switch back to torrent files automatically downloading to Azureus with the regular 2 to 3 clicks than I'm used to. It seemed like something I could easily fix but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 2008-02-15, 20:54   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

What operating system are you using?

If Mac OS X, bring up a "Get info" screen on any torrent file either by right clicking the file and selecting "Get Info" or clicking the file and then using command+I. There should be a segment about midway down called "Open with:" and it should have a dropdown box. Change it from Limewire to Azureus and then click "Change all." Done!

If you're using Windows XP, right click any .torrent file and bring up the Properties box. Near the top you should see a field that says "Opens with" and a button that says "Change..." Click Change, and find Azureus from the program list. If Azureus isn't listed, click the "Browse button" and manually find the directory and the main program. "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" should be checked automatically, but if it isn't ensure that it is in order to make the change system-wide. You may need to reboot for it to take full effect. Done!

If Windows Vista, may God have mercy on your soul It should be similar to Windows XP, but I don't use it much. Let us know and I'll load it up to find out for you.
Old 2008-02-16, 00:56   Link #3
SnowfairyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
If you're using Windows XP, right click any .torrent file and bring up the Properties box. Near the top you should see a field that says "Opens with" and a button that says "Change..."
That's actually one of the first things I tried but the only thing that came up for me was the "General" tab that lists "Protocol," "Type" and "Address (URL)." The only time I saw a "Change" button was when I right clicked the file in the video media player (Media Player Classic) after the file was downloaded. And it was listed as a Media Player Classic file and not LimeWire or anything so I don't think that's what I need to change. I'm sure there's some tiny thing that I'm missing but I can't figure it out. I really appreciate your help so far but is there anything else you suggest I do?
Old 2008-02-16, 01:45   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

There is a different way to do it that I would usually use, which is a bit more complicated. I'm not running WinXP at the moment so I'm going to guide you by memory.

From any open Explorer window, go into View > Folder Options (Folder Options may also be accessible from the Control Panel). I believe the second or third tab from the left should give you a big list of file extensions and filetypes - it may take a while to load. I believe that from there you can select the .torrent extension and then choose which program it opens with. If you can't find it I'll verify that what I said is correct and give you a more direct guide.
Old 2008-02-16, 02:22   Link #5
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Send a message via AIM to Quzor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowfairyX View Post
This is the bittorent client I've used since the very beginning to download torrent files. But recently a certain family member was messing around with a different torrent program (LimeWire, mainly to download music) and now whenever I try to download something, the dialogue box that pops up on screen now says it's a LimeWire file instead of Azureus and would download, if I proceed, using the former instead of the latter which I vastly prefer. Although I've figured out how to manually download most files by going into "Open" in the "File" menu and entering in the URL, it doesn't seem to work with some others. So what I want to do is to switch back to torrent files automatically downloading to Azureus with the regular 2 to 3 clicks than I'm used to. It seemed like something I could easily fix but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I don't know what browser you're using, but Firefox will take care of that for you automatically. Whenever you select a file to download in Firefox (.torrent files specifically), it will ask you what program you would like to open said file in, before it begins to download the file. When this screen pops up, simply click the browse button, and select Azureus from the list. It should, then, default all files of that type to open with that program, despite the fact that it may show the file as being downloaded to run in another program (I had problems with Limewire as well, and all my files still show as opening in Limewire, despite the fact that they open in Azureus).

If you're using Firefox, and still having that problem, I'm unfortunately out of suggestions...sorry

Edit: So Ledgem had it right. I just ran through it, here's the step-by-step of what I did:

If you're running Win XP, open the control panel, and switch it to classic view. Go into Folder Options, and select the File Types tab. Scroll down to the .Torrent files. In the details panel, click the change button, then select Azureus from your program list. Finally, click OK at the bottom of the window to solidify the changes.

Everything I wrote in that opening paragraph should work as well, and if you're not using it, I'd highly recommend switching your browser to Firefox, but that's just one man's opinion.

Last edited by Quzor; 2008-02-16 at 02:31. Reason: the way to go...
Quzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 02:56   Link #6
SnowfairyX

Alright, I tried the 2nd method and got it fixed. Thanks Ledgem, and Quzor as well for the alternate solution. I guess I wouldn't have had this problem if I was using Firefox like a normal person instead of Internet Explorer but it's just simply what I prefer. Thanks again.
Old 2008-02-16, 02:59   Link #7
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Send a message via AIM to Quzor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowfairyX View Post
Alright, I tried the 2nd method and got it fixed. Thanks Ledgem, and Quzor as well for the alternate solution. I guess I wouldn't have had this problem if I was using Firefox like a normal person instead of Internet Explorer but it's just simply what I prefer. Thanks again.
Meh I wouldn't go that far. I'm far from normal, and I use Firefox, so what does that tell you Either way, personal preference is what it's all about, as it can ease the internet experience. Glad to hear you got the problem fixed...Limewire can be annoying like that