AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-02-18, 00:03   Link #21
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichus View Post
@TheFluff: Perhaps, the right word for us isn't typesetting.
It obviously isn't since there's already an established definition for that word, and it doesn't match your definition.

Quote:
And, I'm not here to redefine the word. I'm hoping to clarify it in a fansubbing job. An example is that "fansub" doesn't even exist in English vocabulary, until people coin it.
I don't see your point. You're comparing coining a new word with redefining an already existing one with a well-defined meaning. What?

Quote:
I don't see what's your arrogant problem, as you didn't say anything useful at all, based on all of your opinion...
If we're going to accuse each other of being useless, I'll have to say that your OP is of doubtful usefulness as well. There's absolutely nothing new in there (no really, the goal of sign typesetting is to make the signs blend in, I never heard of that before! also look at me I'm really good at Photoshop!) except that for some reason you want to redefine the word "typesetting" to mean something else in a fansub context, which is dumb and confusing. If you mean sign typesetting, say sign typesetting. If you mean something else, say something else.

Then the thread kinda turned into "oh noone appreciates us typesetters, boo hoo" mixed with some circlemasturbation around how good you are at AFX and Photoshop. Really useful thread you have here, old man. What was your intention with it and what opinions are there to express? That I think this is a bad thread? Other than that I don't see what "opinions" I could have, as most of your "thoughts" in the OP are pretty much standard practices these days. There's really nothing to discuss here.

Quote:
Please note: the topic even suggests "Typesetting," so it is obviously a discussion zone for typesetters.
I've done quite a bit of ASS typesetting in the past, does that make me qualified to post in this thread or is it for professional AFX users only?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 00:21   Link #22
pichu
*Fansubber

@TheFluff:

It's not redefining the word. Let's keep the word out of it. Try to think of the situation. In this thread, I'm referring to signs and objects typesetting, as this doesn't just pertain to signs (as I have pointed out a karaoke I played around with). Maybe a more appropriate term wold be objective typesetting?

>>>(no really, the goal of sign typesetting is to make the signs blend in, I never heard of that before! also look at me I'm really good at Photoshop!)<<<

As someone have pointed out, it's based on the group's definition. It's definitely not a goal for a speedsubbing group, because speedsubbers don't have time to wait for proper signs (i.e. it may take me 3 days during my freetime to finish an episode). And for me, signs MUST BLEND in. There's a fun factor in doing so, a challenge at least to me. I've known Photoshop for more than 10 years but after-effects only about one year - so I can't bluff that I'm good with After-Effects, but I know enough to accomplish the goals I desire for most parts.

I've done quite a few .ass typesetting in the past with most of the advanced techniques too that most typesetters don't even know... I keep them in mind. In making a sign, it can take me like 15minutes in photoshop and after-effects to perform the same as spending 6 hours in .ass coding. That's something I'm not fond of, when I require them to be in a perfect sense.
Old 2008-02-18, 00:37   Link #23
TheFluff

Quote:
It's not redefining the word.
How is it not redefining? It has an established meaning (presentation of text in a visually pleasing manner), and in the OP you're saying that in fansubbing context it should mean something else. If that isn't redefining, I don't know what is.

Quote:
In this thread, I'm referring to signs and objects typesetting, as this doesn't just pertain to signs (as I have pointed out a karaoke I played around with). Maybe a more appropriate term wold be objective typesetting?
That makes it sound like you mean "unbiased typesetting" which makes no sense. Try again.

Also, you're contradicting yourself since in the OP you said that karaoke definitely wasn't typesetting. At this point I'm really confused about what your proposed new word is going to mean.

Quote:
As someone have pointed out, it's based on the group's definition. It's definitely not a goal for a speedsubbing group, because speedsubbers don't have time to wait for proper signs (i.e. it may take me 3 days during my freetime to finish an episode).
You're making the logical fallacy of assuming that every typesetter is like you. Eclipse for example has "proper" typesetting with signs that blend in even on releases that take a lot less time than 3 days from airing to release.

Quote:
And for me, signs MUST BLEND in.
OK. Was that all you wanted to say with this thread?

Quote:
I've known Photoshop for more than 10 years but after-effects only about one year - so I can't bluff that I'm good with After-Effects, but I know enough to accomplish the goals I desire for most parts.

I've done quite a few .ass typesetting in the past with most of the advanced techniques too that most typesetters don't even know... I keep them in mind. In making a sign, it can take me like 15minutes in photoshop and after-effects to perform the same as spending 6 hours in .ass coding. That's something I'm not fond of, when I require them to be in a perfect sense.
Yes, I've understood that you consider yourself very good at Photoshop and typesetting in general. Can you please stop using two paragraphs per post for chestbeating about how good you are? It's getting tiresome.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2008-02-18, 01:27   Link #24
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Also, you're contradicting yourself since in the OP you said that karaoke definitely wasn't typesetting. At this point I'm really confused about what your proposed new word is going to mean.
I'll pm you an example.

TheFluff: Also, stop repeating yourself about "redefining a word", as more importantly, you have nothing else to argue about except to emphasize one petty little detail. You're not getting to the point at all. Sorry, you're not going to win this way and this will never work on me. I've been using forums for more than 12 years, and I've had desserts with punks like you who try to add flames to the whip cream, which I don't care to eat.

Quote:
You're making the logical fallacy of assuming that every typesetter is like you. Eclipse for example has "proper" typesetting with signs that blend in even on releases that take a lot less time than 3 days from airing to release.
And the same goes to your Manabi Straight? It takes longer than 3 days, let alone - two weeks... and the job isn't even done the way I'd like to be. I remembered finishing Manabi Straight 06 signs (all 150 lines of translations, and about 3/4 afx and 1/4 .ass) in about 16 hours - never released of course. I don't want to end up in argument in this way - why is it better, why is it worse. And, I never even said Eclipse, I don't know why you even bother mentioning it.

In addition, have I even said how good I am??? You're the only one who tried to emphasize that.

As a drastic measure to recognizing the importance of typesetting, we even brought in gwi-afx for people to discuss and learn about typesetting using AFX. It seems that we were wrong, as most fansubbers/people like you don't really care.

Last edited by pichu; 2008-02-18 at 01:41.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 01:45   Link #25
Alizar

Quote:
And the same goes to your Manabi Straight?
I rarely post on asuki forums. I keep a pretty low profile. But this is a shot straight at me. The fact I fell so far behind on Manabi Straight for eclipse (for my half of the TS, I was helped out by other ASS ts'ers who did great work) is the reason for the delays. I got overwhelmed by the sheer load of TS, burned out, and caused problems. I had been AFXing and Photoshopping at that point for at best one season. It took a while to build speed and quality.

Anyway, enough said. TS, like subs, breaks the original video. It's a necessary evil. It can be a pretty, skillful one, but that's all it is. Means to an end.
Alizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 01:45   Link #26
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

I don't feel like taking the time to read every reply, I'm just going to respond to the original post.

pichus,

do you even think before you post or are you just posting to pretend you know what the heck you are talking about...

typesetting is the task of setting type, plain and simple. It is not a science it is an type of design which is open to subjective opinion. It is not a cut and dry, black or white subject. Since everyone has different backgrounds and cultures they perceive different font types to have slightly different personal meaning. The job of a typesetter is to use a typeface that can be accepted by the general audience to hold the same meaning as the context being presented through it while being highly readable. It is by nature open to opinion not "laws" which sciences are bond by.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 01:47   Link #27
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Quote:
Like it looks horrible when upscaling from an SD to HD (note: the infamous MHD) with filters (i.e. warpsharp, etc).
This nonsense again?

Look, pichu. You're an excellent typesetter. I'm even on the record with this in more than one place. But you're really no encoder and should not take snide remarks at issues which are not your forte. So I wonder why you're doing it.

MHD is _not_ a mere upscale from SD to HD, and the results in dealing with it properly aren't looking "horrible" either. Of course there are also examples of horrible upscales, but those are generally not MHD. This issue has already been discussed in a different thread, and noone has succeeded in the challenge to come up with an equivalent or better SD encode. I know that several have tried, and several have contacted me to tell me that - including those who were doubtful in the respective thread before.

But I invite you to prove me wrong. Come up with an SD encode of Shana S2 which looks at least as good as the "horrible" MHD. In other words, jump first, talk second. Okay?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 01:55   Link #28
TheFluff

Quote:
I'll pm you an example.
I'm not interested. I perfectly understand that sometimes you have text in the raw that your karaoke can be matched to, you don't need a video to explain that. The point is that your new word or whatever you're talking about (I've lost track at this point) fills no purpose.

Quote:
Also, stop repeating yourself, as more importantly, you have nothing else to argue about except to emphasize one petty little detail. You're not getting to the point at all. Sorry, you're not going to win this way and this will never work for me. I've been using forums for more than 12 years, and I've had desserts with punks like you who try to add flames to the whip cream, which I don't care to eat.
So wait, when I point out that you're making no points of value, making no sense and additionally are contradicting yourself you'll just stop addressing the points at hand and instead declare yourself winner of the argument by virtue of having been online longer? Makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
I don't want to end up in argument in this way - why is it better, why is it worse. And, I never even said Eclipse, I don't know why you even bother mentioning it.
What? I'm not talking about good or bad typesetting, I'm saying that your "point" that no "speedsub" group cares about typesetting is wrong and that your assertation that "proper" typesetting takes at least three days to do because YOU need at least three days to do it is likewise wrong. Eclipse was just an example.

Quote:
In addition, have I even said how good I am??? You're the only one who tried to emphasize that.
No, of course you've never talked about how good you are, never eve-
Quote:
I've known Photoshop for more than 10 years
Quote:
I've done quite a few .ass typesetting in the past with most of the advanced techniques too that most typesetters don't even know...
Quote:
As a drastic measure to recognizing the importance of typesetting, we even brought in gwi-afx for people to discuss and learn about typesetting using AFX.
Quote:
typesetter for fansubs with about four years of typesetting experience
Quote:
Yes, because I never think so lowly of myself in comparison to the original anime artists, in which my work is just as good as theirs.
Quote:
Since I am good with Photoshop to blend objects in pictures
Obviously you don't talk about how good you are, you just use half of each post or so casually mentioning "oh and I did this, this and this, because I'm very good at photoshop you see, and I know techniques most people never heard of". No, of course you're not dickwaving about how good you are.

Anyway, can I get an answer to my question: why did you post this abortion of a thread in the first place?

Old 2008-02-18, 02:04   Link #29
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
What? I'm not talking about good or bad typesetting, I'm saying that your "point" that no "speedsub" group cares about typesetting is wrong and that your assertation that "proper" typesetting takes at least three days to do because YOU need at least three days to do it is likewise wrong. Eclipse was just an example.
I'm going to agree with you. Typesetting isn't about a certain time frame, it is about the amount of time required for a typesetter to complete his or her work to the level at which they are able. Depending on the series most non-speedsub typesetters I have known over the years complete an average animes typeset in 4-5 hours. Of course this is not an anime with a load of onscreens. If it is a first episode of course there is a ton more work and time needed to complete the job, but once you have the majority of common "repeating" onscreens done once it is just shifting and minor value adjustments. The only time in my experience I have needed 3 days for an episode is because I was taking breaks all the time to play MMORPGs without anyone knowing ^_^
Old 2008-02-18, 02:21   Link #30
pichu
*Fansubber

@Getfresh: I proofread three or four times before posting, and about two times afterwards - hence occasionally re-editing. If it doesn't make any sense for you, I don't know what to say... As for the last written paragraph, I don't actually disagree, as this thread is pretty much asking for what others felt. In general, setting the text alone isn't good enough, as I have mentioned about clarities and blending in of the actual typesets. As for 'science' I mentioned, it's an analogy, i.e. indirect relationships.

@TheFluff: trying to dig up my saying in support of your flames is a good way of showing your incompetence. Those quotes don't actually infer (i.e., 'said') that I'm a good typesetter. Being good in photoshop with 10 years of experience, being in typesetting for 4 years, never think myself lowly (that's my pride as an individual), and the techniques I know more (again, I'm pride to know them but do they infer as a good typesetter? no) etc, etc... don't say much about the typesetting qualities I produce; I refuse to post examples here because I don't want to stray into that direction; it's been thought out before I impose them here, since I already knew someone will flame on those little petty details. Sorry, everything is thought out thrice. Also, as for contradictions, you fail to point out one little contradiction but instead, you provide something that was posted for a different scenario in better of an explanation. Go look up the right way to prove any contradiction. In your second and third paragraph, nothing is depicted there, as it's just a rubbish of text merged together to form a paragraph. If you need me to say what are the desserts directly, I'd be glad to say it directly, which won't sound professionally. I don't know why am I reasoning with a n00b flamer.

@Mentar, I only glimpsed at your Shana... *sigh* The lines are quite sharp in the anime drawing, but the details are too blended out, hence lacking of essential details for enjoyable moments.

@Alizar, I'm not flaming at you for the speed of your MS. He's saying 3 days... I'm saying to disprove his point, and it could be typesetting being the issue.

@Getfresh (last post): Three days will be the time for editors, translator(s), and subs QC'r to do their jobs. That will be the time for signs typesetting too. So no time is loss. And, I'm not into three days to release. Give it five days and it will be plenty.
Old 2008-02-18, 02:27   Link #31
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
@Getfresh (last post): Three days will be the time for editors, translator(s), and subs QC'r to do their jobs. That will be the time for signs typesetting too. So no time is loss. And, I'm not into three days to release. Give it five days and it will be plenty.
I've seen too much variation in release speed in my experience so I cannot really give it a time frame. I stick with "It's done when it is done." If some fansubbers do the job faster, then thats just what it is. I don't always find something done fast to be subpar. It all really depends on how active the team members are so that they are "in the groove" more readily.

And as I said in my initial heading, I wasn't reading anymore than the first post. If I misunderstood the purpose, my bad.
Old 2008-02-18, 02:29   Link #32
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
I've seen too much variation in release speed in my experience so I cannot really give it a time frame. I stick with "It's done when it is done." If some fansubbers do the job faster, then thats just what it is. I don't always find something done fast to be subpar. It all really depends on how active the team members are so that they are "in the groove" more readily.

And as I said in my initial heading, I wasn't reading anymore than the first post. If I misunderstood the purpose, my bad.
Unfortunately, that is very true. People don't follow up to the schedule, but I'd like to keep in my mind that 3 days to TS and 3 days for others to finish up their work. I think it's plenty.
Old 2008-02-18, 02:31   Link #33
DryFire
Panda Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
do you even think before you post or are you just posting to pretend you know what the heck you are talking about...
I get that feeling a lot when I read this forum. I seem to remember a similar thread about cutting the crap about soft subs that well wasn't...

As far as I'm concerned anytime text is placed on a video it's typesetting. It may be really bad typesetting but still type setting. There is a reason we have adjectives.

Maybe you don't like the treatment or lack of attention, but that's not a convincing reason to change our lexicon.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 02:39   Link #34
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Somewhat but not entirely related to a point made earlier:

Talking from a non-typesetting perspective, I've always quite liked the idea of some unreadable Japanese being overwritten by semi-readable English. As long as the replacing text stays true to the original artwork, then I don't have a problem with it - though, I've also found signs that fade into English and then back to Japanese to be my favourite. It's something used more often in major films than in anime, but I wonder how hard that would be to adopt...
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 02:41   Link #35
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Quote:
@Mentar, I only glimpsed at your Shana... *sigh* The lines are quite sharp in the anime drawing, but the details are too blended out, hence lacking of essential details for enjoyable moments.
That depends on the scenes you're looking at, but okay. If THAT had been what you're talking about, I wouldn't have objected - whether you enjoy the way the anime is drawn or not is in the realm of personal opinion.

No, what you said was that MHD sources are upscaled from SD to HD, using filters like warpsharp. And this is wrong. Technically, MHD sources are _station upscales_ aired in HD, the encoder only conserves the resolution (instead of upscaling himself). You are confusing things with what I described from my experiments on _DVD sources_, not MHD.

Finally, the "blended out details" are not caused by the encoder, they are like this in the source. And downscaling them doesn't help the picture at all, it only blurs out the lines aswell, destroying extra detail.

I wanted to point this out because it never ceases to amaze me how many "veteran" fansubbers use the terminology incorrectly.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 02:46   Link #36
pichu
*Fansubber

Okay, you guys are so lost with the actual definition of "Typesetting". Yes, typesetting is placements, formats, and occasional transitions (a.k.a. temporal placements and formats) of the "types." Okay, next question is what is "type?" To most people, types are basic typefaces (i.e. fonts). But, I'll use www.m-w.com as a guide for now:

Quote:
typeset

Main Entry:
type·set Listen to the pronunciation of typeset
Pronunciation:
\-ˌset\
Function:
transitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
type·set; type·set·ting
Date:

: to set in type : compose
Let's look at the definition for "Type." I'll start with definition #2, since they're more appropriate.

Quote:
2: a distinctive mark or sign

3 a (1): a rectangular block usually of metal bearing a relief character from which an inked print can be made (2): a collection of such blocks <a font of type> (3): alphanumeric characters for printing <the type for this book has been photoset> b: typeface <italic type> c: printed letters d: matter set in type

4 a: qualities common to a number of individuals that distinguish them as an identifiable class: as (1): the morphological, physiological, or ecological characters by which relationship between organisms may be recognized (2): the form common to all instances of a linguistic element b: a typical and often superior specimen c: a member of an indicated class or variety of people <the guests were mostly urban types— Lucy Cook> d: a particular kind, class, or group <oranges of the seedless type> <leaders of the new type…did England yeoman's service — G. M. Trevelyan> e: something distinguishable as a variety : sort <what type of food do you like?>
Definition #3 is what people usually think. However, if you extend to definition #2, it gets as general as a distinctive mark or sign. As for definition #4, it's a different stuff what we're looking for. What does a classification have to do with this? Well, almost nothing. Refer to definition #2 as a general definition. A distinctive mark or sign. Basically, just about any objects can represent as distinctive marks or types if you relate them intuitively. This word is pretty general, indeed. Combining with set, typesetting is basically setting the objects. Hence, all of my definitions of typesetting fall into play. No redefinition is necessary. Signs extensions and drawing/setting nonexistent elements or objects on the video are part of typesetting. In addition, a synonym for typesetting is composing, so yes the definition is valid... I'm not sure why I'm getting flamed as redefining the word, when clearly, the dictionary is telling me otherwise.

========================== EDIT ==========================

Edit1: As a side note, you can't argue when classifying from a general statement (typesetting) to more specific meanings like blended signs in typesets.

As a note, I say objective typesetting: because there is an objective (goal) to the typesetting I'm asking... Blending of signs, matching credits, for example.

@Mentar: For MHD, most of the sources are stored in analogue films, then they've been reduced to SD and HD digitially. And, analog is continuous as oppose to discrete, thereby making it of higher resolutions than HD signals. So do you think MHD still applies to: Film -> SD -> HD? If so, then any upscales from SD to HD are MHD.

Last edited by pichu; 2008-02-18 at 03:12.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 03:02   Link #37
TheFluff

Quote:
Definition #3 is what people usually think. However, if you extend to definition #2, it gets as general as a distinctive mark or sign. As for definition #4, it's a different stuff what we're looking for. What does a classification have to do with this? Well, almost nothing. Refer to definition #2 as a general definition. A distinctive mark or sign. Basically, just about any objects can represent as distinctive marks or types if you relate them intuitively. This word is pretty general, indeed. Combining with set, you're basically setting the object. Hence, all of my definitions of typesetting fall into play. No redefinition is necessary. Signs extensions and drawing/setting nonexistent elements or objects on the video are part of typesetting. In addition, a synonym for typesetting is composing, so yes the definition is valid... I'm not sure why I'm getting flamed as redefining the word, when clearly, the dictionary is telling me otherwise.
You're contradicting yourself again. As I mentioned in my first post, the problem with your definition of typesetting in the OP is not that it calls translation of signs typesetting, it's that it explicitly excludes such things as karaoke and logos as being "not typesetting". Now you're instead saying that the definition is so wide that just drawing objects (not text) on video is typesetting too (which in my book actually isn't typesetting). Which one is it?

Also, your homebrewed alternative etymology for the word "typesetting" isn't particularly convincing.

Old 2008-02-18, 03:23   Link #38
b0nk
Freelancer
*Fansubber

I'm usually a lurker on these forums but it seems this has turned into a clash between the old TSers vs the new TSers with the definition of typesetting on the line.

I consider myself pretty experienced enough to reply to this thread since I've used both formats of AE and textsub to typeset in the past and I've come to the conclusion that simply picking main dialogue fonts and colors is not really typesetting.

Real typesetting imo involves signs, most of the sign TSers I know can't stand dialogue styling. I usually categorize main dialogue styling as just styling pure and simple since that's all there really is to it.
b0nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 03:24   Link #39
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
You're contradicting yourself again. As I mentioned in my first post, the problem with your definition of typesetting in the OP is not that it calls translation of signs typesetting, it's that it explicitly excludes such things as karaoke and logos as being "not typesetting". Now you're instead saying that the definition is so wide that just drawing objects (not text) on video is typesetting too (which in my book actually isn't typesetting). Which one is it?

Also, your homebrewed alternative etymology for the word "typesetting" isn't particularly convincing.
No, how am I contradicting myself? I said typesetting as a general form. Signs typesetting are specific. I pointed out maybe to "Logos" under my spoiler tags in the first post, and "no" to karaoke only because one isn't trying to match anything, but the example I pm'd you is an objective typesetting, not a karaoke styling, but it's a karaoke. You should take a look at it before trying to talk.

As for adding elements to the videos being typesetting, it's part of an important process of signs typesetting. This does not require a redefinition, since the definition from the lexicon is too broad: COMPOSING. The question perhaps should be said:

What is [a good] typesetting [in fansubbing]?

(even an idiot in the forum can know what I'm after)

It's not a home brewed definition, but I've re-looked and re-analyzed at the definition. It's called flow of logic; perhaps it's something you should acquire. Again, enough with your pointless flames. Be more open-minded. I have had a headache tonight.

----EDIT -----

@b0nk: you've said it, man.

Dialogue Styling
Karaoke Styling

Signs Typesetting
Credits Typesetting
Logo Typesetting/Designing

People should figure out the difference.
Old 2008-02-18, 03:35   Link #40
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
Dialogue Styling
Karaoke Styling

Signs Typesetting
Credits Typesetting
Logo Typesetting/Designing

People should figure out the difference.
isn't basically all of them subset of typesetting...?