AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-07, 02:55   Link #1
ChibiMenos
Gillian-class Chibi

Cute and funny anime?

I do have slightly more serious stuff I'm watching as the subs come out (Dragonaut, Saiunkoku Monogatari 2, Bleach), but I require cuteness to live and I... keep running out. Cuteness can be cute-cute or silly cuteness or cute romance, but nothing too serious. I like good stories and interesting characters, but don't we all? Fantasy/magical elements are always good; I'm not too big on realistic, everyday stuff, but that can be okay too if it's funny enough.

So, looking for shows similar to these:

Gakuen Alice
Shugo Chara
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu!
Pretear
Alien 9

...looking at most of these again, I guess it would help if the characters are in elementary school?

Anime that amused me, but don't count as cute...
-Ouran Host Club
-Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge
-Zombie-Loan
-Cromartie High School -- only about half the time, though. The other half I'm like

A few that looked cute/funny, but just aren't my thing:
-Hayate no Gotoku ~ ehh. It's not as funny as I've been told.
-Sugar Sugar Rune ~ too shallow. I'm only on episode 9, but it doesn't look to be getting much better...
-Several magical girl shows--I can't remember all of them, but I believe Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew were on the list. I like cute, not squeaky voices. *sigh*
-Ranma 1/2 ~ I got embarrassed watching it. It's much funnier to read, and there's less explaining to do when Grandma walks in.
Old 2008-02-07, 03:33   Link #2
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Top candidates:
Card Captor Sakura (Super cute, often funny. Magical girl.)
Otogi-Jushi Akazukin (Cuter and funnier! Though not a masterpiece like CCS. Fantasy.)
Galaxy Angel (Cute and often funny, but sometimes a bit annoying. Sci-fi)
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna (Cute... and, hey, funny! Sci-fi)

Second tier (not any less good, but less defined by 'cute and funny'):
Muteki Kanban Musume is very funny, though not so cute. (Real world)
Pani Poni Dash is cute (11-year-old genius high school teacher, who graduated from a college she can't even pronounce). It is often funny. (Real world... sort of)
Keroro Gunso (Cute and quite funny, emphasis on funny. Sci-fi)
Maho Tsukai Tai (Cute and funny, though being in high school, less cute than Gakuen Alice and etc.)
Nanoha (Cute and funny. Magical girl.)
Final Approach (High school, but still cute and somewhat funny)

Possibles:
Higurashi: Cute, not funny, dark, and scary as hell
Asatte no Hokou: Extremely cute but not funny. Romance/drama. But cute!
Rozen Maiden: Dark, but often funny, and also quite cute (hey, it's from Peach-Pit, who also did Shugo Chara and Galaxy Angel)
Yoshinaga-san'chi no Gargoyle: Very cute main characters, often funny, but sometimes dramatic too
Super Gals (Sort of cute, sort of funny, quite entertaining)

That should be enough for a while.
Old 2008-02-07, 04:01   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Of course I'll second Cardcaptor Sakura. It's one of my favorite anime and I'm male.

Ichigo Mashimaro fits the cute and funny factor, even though the comedy isn't lolroflmao funny, but rather...it's just indescribably good. Of course along with this I'm obligated to second Pani Poni Dash! REC might also count.
Old 2008-02-07, 04:15   Link #4
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Seconding Ichigo Mashimaro, and the kids are even in elementary school, so it's everything you need ^_^ the show's theme is 'cue girls doing cute things'
Old 2008-02-07, 17:55   Link #5
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I'll third Card Captor Sakura. It wasn't one of the first magical girl animes, but it borrowed a bit from everything before and got everything done right and came off as original and fresh. It is painfully cute to watch with a multitude of costumes for the main character and the humor remains fresh because the characters change. The fact that the characters develop and grow for the duration of the series, makes it interesting to watch even for older audiences. There's really no villain just mischievous magic running amok, which helps the them.

I'll suggest Pita Ten as well. The plot in a nutshell is, a young boy gets stuck in between a fight between an apprentice angel and a novice demon. The catch is the angel is devilish and the demon angelic. Cuteness runs rampant in this anime (one of the characters wears cat ears simple because they are "cute"). FInally, it takes about 4 episodes to get into the mood of the show, after which it became a pleasure to watch.

Princess Tutu is unlike the other two because it is set in a quasi fantasy city. Getting past the title and the first few episodes can be difficult, but it gets better with time, downright good by the end of the first season and a masterpiece by the end of the second. Many side characters are animals (no one treats them any differently, they just are), which is incredibly silly. Its plots are a bit more serious as it goes on, but I'd certainly suggest.

Finally my rogue suggestion of the bunch would be Ginban Kaleidoscope. It has no real school element and the main character is an aspiring ice skater. It is not what you'd consider normally from this time of rising star anime...spending so much time training in the cold, must have frozen her heart, because she's a cold, unhappy person. The magical element is she is possessed by a Canadian ghost--and he couldn't be more opposite of her. Cuteness and comedy ensues, however, it doesn't rely on the same old gags to carry the plot, instead there's growth and a decent ending. Decent endings in anime are rare indeed, usually they are left open ended or just bad. So for that reason if nothing else, it's a worthy watch.
Old 2008-02-07, 18:08   Link #6
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

I strongly suggest Hidamari Sketch, I don't know if the humor will work for you, but it is definitely a very cutely presented slice of life.
Old 2008-02-07, 18:29   Link #7
Troilism

Kamichu! is a a very good, cute, funny at times slice of life show. It's really great and I def recommend you check it out. Also a bit of romance if you like that as well.
Old 2008-02-08, 01:57   Link #8
mit7059

Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ very underrated anime imho

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2008-02-08, 09:58   Link #9
andromeda0201

I 4th Card Captor Sakura, and second Princess Tutu
You might want to try Fruits Basket too, cute character designs but with serious undertones.
Aishiteruze Baby is also cute in a way.
Old 2008-02-08, 11:07   Link #10
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Cute and funny is viewed differently by different people

I think Minami-ke would fit the bill tho
Old 2008-02-08, 11:33   Link #11
Pyroman
The master of fudge!

Send a message via MSN to Pyroman Send a message via Skype™ to Pyroman
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Of course I'll second Cardcaptor Sakura. It's one of my favorite anime and I'm male.

Ichigo Mashimaro fits the cute and funny factor, even though the comedy isn't lolroflmao funny, but rather...it's just indescribably good. Of course along with this I'm obligated to second Pani Poni Dash! REC might also count.
Sorry but REC. doesn't qualify on my list, it's slice-of-life and the guy gets laid in the first episode, that's not cute, is it?
Old 2008-02-08, 13:17   Link #12
Nicest of the Damned
hikikomori

You might want to give Potemayo a try. It's got elementary school kids and stars these little chibi...things... Best just watch the OP for yourself. If you like it, chances are you'll enjoy the show. Watch OP here.

I'll third Pani Poni Dash as well, since I really like that one. Also, if you haven't seen it already Azumanga Diaoh, is a classic in slice-of-life cuteness.
Old 2008-02-08, 15:45   Link #13
ChibiMenos
Gillian-class Chibi

I tried Nanoha, but there's something about it that annoyed me, cute as the little ferret guy is. I only watched two episodes, though, maybe I should try more before giving up on it.

The opening from Potemayo looks promising, so I'll check that out now, and since everyone is recommending Card Captor Sakura, I'll give that a shot too. (It's from Clamp, though, isn't it? I usually prefer reading their stuff to watching the anime versions...)
Old 2008-02-08, 16:02   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
Sorry but REC. doesn't qualify on my list, it's slice-of-life and the guy gets laid in the first episode, that's not cute, is it?
I think describing that scene as "the guy gets laid" rather misses a lot of the emotions going on beneath the act itself. If you watched more, you'd realize they both have misgivings about sleeping together which affect their relationship throughout the show. In many ways it's more of an obstacle to their growing closer rather than a facilitator.

And, yes, I think Aka herself is pretty cute. Oh, and why can't a slice-of-life show be cute? What about Lucky*Star, or Hidamari Sketch, or Azumanga Daioh, just to name a few obvious contenders in the "cute S-o-L" category.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-02-19 at 16:31. Reason: spelling
Old 2008-02-08, 16:53   Link #15
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think describing that scene as "the guy gets laid" rather misses a lot of the emotions going on beneath the act itself. If you watched more, you'd realize they both have misgivings about sleeping together which affect their relatonship throughout the show. In many ways it's more of an obstacle to their growing closer rather than a facilitator.

And, yes, I think Aka herself is pretty cute. Oh, and why can't a slice-of-life show be cute? What about Lucky*Star, or Hidamari Sketch, or Azumanga Daioh, just to name a few obvious contenders in the "cute S-o-L" category.
Yeah, I was trying to go for cute as in appearance, voice, and overall emotions, so I recommended REC. Cuteness doesn't have to be Sakura waving a magic staff, but it can appear in a non-childish characters also. But of course, I have my reasons for being biased. I did rate REC 8/10 after all.
Old 2008-02-08, 19:57   Link #16
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiMenos View Post
I tried Nanoha, but there's something about it that annoyed me, cute as the little ferret guy is. I only watched two episodes, though, maybe I should try more before giving up on it.

The opening from Potemayo looks promising, so I'll check that out now, and since everyone is recommending Card Captor Sakura, I'll give that a shot too. (It's from Clamp, though, isn't it? I usually prefer reading their stuff to watching the anime versions...)
Nanoha actually only starts after the first 6 episodes... the first 5 are a little misleading as to the series true nature, so I'd suggest you give it a little more time
Old 2008-02-09, 16:32   Link #17
mrboldy

i think Lucky Star would fit perfectly, its cute and funny
Old 2008-02-09, 16:55   Link #18
Dangoey Noka
Fuwa fuwa~

Send a message via AIM to Dangoey Noka Send a message via MSN to Dangoey Noka Send a message via Yahoo to Dangoey Noka
I also suggest Minami-ke and Keroro Gunso like Ice Climbers and Saber Cherry just did. Humurous animes.

Just one other anime I thought I'd suggest to you.
Fushigiboshi no Futagohime
It's technically a mahou-shojo anime but it is cute and funny (more in the little kid humor though). Just thought I'd suggest it.

Oh Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan too. It's rather has more gory/ecchi humor but it is pretty funny and they have cute characters in there.

Last edited by Dangoey Noka; 2008-02-09 at 18:00.
Old 2008-02-19, 15:20   Link #19
Aeon65
Warrior Princess

Smile

Ichigo Mashimaro would have to be my favorite as far as the cute & funny type anime. The charactors all have different personalities and how they interact with one another is very cute & humourous.
Others would also be Azumanga Daioh & Ranma 1/2. I've also recently seen Fruits Basket, which has some funny & somewhat cute moments, at least when some of the charactors turn into animals.

Last edited by Aeon65; 2008-02-19 at 15:30.
Old 2008-02-19, 15:56   Link #20
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Send a message via AIM to Quzor
Excel Saga and Puny Puny Poemi are funny. They're ridiculous, but they're funny. IMyMe: Strawberry Eggs is along much the same lines, in a bit of a different way.

I thought His and Her Circumstances was pretty cute, and funny at times as well. Hand Maid May also has some of those qualities, as does Ai Yori Aoshi, and Please Teacher.