AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-21, 03:08   Link #41
EXEs
Hallelujah...

A hermaphrodite would be appropriate
Old 2008-02-21, 04:46   Link #42
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
In other word, whatever the hermaphrodite wears it won't be considered cross-dressing

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 05:16   Link #43
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
No.

Hermaphrodites are generally born with both sex organs (some mish mash of them), but are rare not just because of condition, but also because the parents usually decide the gender for the child at a very young age. After surgery they get hormone treatments in their teens to go through puberty. Seeing an older hermaphrodite is rather rare.

Androgynous refers to people who show characteristics that make it hard to determine their gender. An example is the effeminate man or the masculine woman. The trap in the first post is not an example of this, he looks female for the most part, so the only confusion about him is when you figure out his secret. Androgynous people are sometimes called gender neutral. For those who've watched Saturday Night Live, the character Pat fits this term perfectly.

Transgender is a term used for someone who has gender identity issues. Basically, they feel they were born the wrong gender and some go so far as surgery to "fix" that.

Transvestite is a male or female who dresses up and acts like the opposite gender. The term drag queen or drag queen is appropriate here. While there are some who could fit in the transgender category as well, most are comfortable being their born gender and are transvestites for other reasons, like money, fun, social statements, etc.

There's nothing really "wrong" with any of this (outside of not fitting into "normal" society). These people come in all types and from all backgrounds and they are what they are. It's normal to be uncomfortable with the idea of someone "posing" as the "wrong" gender...I know I'd be embarrassed to hit on the OP and go oh crap...that's a guy! But, I won't begrudge him the right to do it either. He passes off as a female rather well.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised at all if at some point in the future you could pick your gender, like Simoun.
Old 2008-02-21, 05:25   Link #44
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

I feel a little bit sick right now.

Ok, if I should ever visit Japan and meet a "girl" there, I'll make sure that she is really a girl
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 05:27   Link #45
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Seeing traps is a normal occurance to me... Sometimes they are obvious and sometimes they are not.

One time me and my friends were riding on a public transportation inside our school(yes... A trap inside the school...) And saw this trap who is actually very good looking and er... had a girly body(WITH CURVES AND FAKE BREAST!!). We never thought that it was a guy until he spoke!!... Even my girl friends were shocked.

From that first picture, far away I thought it was a girl, but when you move closer he more looks like a guy. The lips are a bit manly to be a girl.
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 06:49   Link #46
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
One time me and my friends were riding on a public transportation inside our school(yes... A trap inside the school...) And saw this trap who is actually very good looking and er... had a girly body(WITH CURVES AND FAKE BREAST!!). We never thought that it was a guy until he spoke!!... Even my girl friends were shocked.
You haven't seen enough of them. It's fine, it's normal not to see them (most of them usually work in prostitution, at night), but they're there. At least where I live, if you go early in the morning or late at night in certain streets you can see a lot of them. It's something perfectly normal here.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 06:56   Link #47
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
No.

Hermaphrodites are generally born with both sex organs (some mish mash of them), but are rare not just because of condition, but also because the parents usually decide the gender for the child at a very young age. After surgery they get hormone treatments in their teens to go through puberty. Seeing an older hermaphrodite is rather rare.

Androgynous refers to people who show characteristics that make it hard to determine their gender. An example is the effeminate man or the masculine woman. The trap in the first post is not an example of this, he looks female for the most part, so the only confusion about him is when you figure out his secret. Androgynous people are sometimes called gender neutral. For those who've watched Saturday Night Live, the character Pat fits this term perfectly.

Transgender is a term used for someone who has gender identity issues. Basically, they feel they were born the wrong gender and some go so far as surgery to "fix" that.

Transvestite is a male or female who dresses up and acts like the opposite gender. The term drag queen or drag queen is appropriate here. While there are some who could fit in the transgender category as well, most are comfortable being their born gender and are transvestites for other reasons, like money, fun, social statements, etc.

There's nothing really "wrong" with any of this (outside of not fitting into "normal" society). These people come in all types and from all backgrounds and they are what they are. It's normal to be uncomfortable with the idea of someone "posing" as the "wrong" gender...I know I'd be embarrassed to hit on the OP and go oh crap...that's a guy! But, I won't begrudge him the right to do it either. He passes off as a female rather well.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised at all if at some point in the future you could pick your gender, like Simoun.
My bad. Wrong word. Oh, and I don't think this is wrong at all. I think someone expressing him/herself as close as his/her percieved ideal self is a person who is the most satisfied, mentally. I somehow admire these people doing this stuff, and ignoring social pressure on how one should act/dress. And he's still attractive
Old 2008-02-22, 03:19   Link #48
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
While I really didn't want to be the one to bring this back from its fall to the second page, I wanted to touch on these points, since I think some people have some misconceptions (even if they aren't necessarily voiced here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Sadly enough in the end it all comes down to the general fear of gays, of being gay oneself, of merely being thought to be gay...
Well, I'm sure for some people it's being homophobic, but being repulsed as a man is not in itself being homophobic.

It's like when I greedily bite into a piece of sushi and am expecting the tuna I saw on the inside, but instead I find it was roe covered in a thin layer of tuna. Well, I have nothing against roe, but dangit, I don't like it. At all. I have an aversion to it due to my tastebuds. If I'd never known, I never would have cared, but it was served to me under false pretenses, so I am quite offput and I think the chef's a real jerk.

It doesn't mean I'm afraid of people thinking I like roe, or that I fear roe. I just don't like it, and being shocked that way is quite unpleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I know nothing about this guy whose website the OP referenced.... so I won't make any assumptions other than "damn good cosplay". For all I know he's as "straight" as an arrow.
Quite right.

In fact, it makes perfect sense. Men, especially young ones, are hard-wired to be passionately, consumingly desirous of the female form. If a young man could fulfill that desire himself, I'd bet he'd be tempted to. If men could flip a switch to magically turn into a female while retaining his libidous attraction to the womanly physique, odds are many would... and would never leave the house afterward. I'd also imagine healthy interest in women could spark an intense curiosity about experience as the other gender.

Whether indulging that desire or curiosity would cause gender identity issues... Well, it would depend on a lot, I'm sure, but it's quite possible.

I'm also sure some people just love practical jokes.

Yeah, there are some people who cross-dress because they have underlying problems or issues (whether tragically genetically swapped/mixed up or whether mentally ill), but one can't assume.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 03:34   Link #49
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
If men could flip a switch to magically turn into a female while retaining his libidous attraction to the womanly physique, odds are many would... and would never leave the house afterward.
Amen brother, amen.

Ya know, my friends and I used to discuss this idea all the time some years ago (we were young and horny, don't judge us =P). In reality though, I think I'd end up getting bored after a day or two. There's only so much pleasure one can derive from spending time with no one but himself, even as a woman.

As far as transvestites are concerned, I have no problem with them. Hell, in a lot of cases, transvestites look better than actual women. I have no problem admitting when I think a man looks good as a woman. Hell, I have no problem admitting when I think a man looks good as himself. False pretenses or otherwise, I don't think it's necessary to be ashamed of yourself, for thinking someone is cute, and then finding out they're only dressing as the opposite gender after the fact. It doesn't speak to your sexual preference in its entirety, just to your feelings about that person at that particular moment.
Old 2008-02-22, 03:45   Link #50
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
i remember when i first saw the orignal cover of the album Art of life from X japan i first though : whoua that girl is hot. Then i learn it was Yoshiki (their drummer)... ever since that day i never fell for a trap again.
Old 2008-02-22, 04:39   Link #51
nashi

this reminds me of how my friends, found a boy intheir tute class incredibly cute... and sat next to him to get to know him better only to discover when he spoke he had a girl voice XD i believe her name was winny, in fact.

but wow, i can hardly believe that that is a boy o.O
nashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 05:04   Link #52
ishiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll make a "sweeping generalization" and opine that certain Asians and Indians seem to be able to pull this off more convincingly with less makeup than European or African gene pools.
You have to underline the word "certain". Otherwise people will be shocked if they see all the cross dressers in Akihabara

No seriously, it's true that asians look generally more feminine. And on top of that, the beauty ideal is somewhat different. TV idols in Japan aim for a different look and image compared to TV idols in Europe.

I'm half japanese by myself, and people made sometimes fun of me, because I don't look manly. One girl in my class was even a little envious of me; she said I have legs like a model. Not really a compliment a guy would be proud of

Right now, I'm in Japan and here it's common to be skinny like me and everything. There are some guys here, who almost can been mistaken for a girl even without cross dressing, but they are even here really uncommon. Or maybe I just never noticed

I hope my english is readable.
ishiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 11:25   Link #53
Vestus
Pasokon-Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Vestus
I don't see what the big deal is. Traps are pretty common nowadays in Japan. Shoot, most J-Rockers (not sure if that's the correct term, sry if it isn't) are Traps.

I seen ALOT of Traps since I'm into J-Rock, and I still get 'trapped', and yes sometimes I think these traps are pretty cute too. The trap the OP posted is pretty cute in that picture.

I never thought that thinking a trap was cute (even though u know it's a trap) was wrong. I mean if they do it well, who wouldn't think they're a cute girl.
Old 2008-02-22, 13:08   Link #54
Fallen Starlite
No Sign of Insanity Here~

Send a message via MSN to Fallen Starlite
Thank you all for reminding me of Halloween a few years back ^^;;

I got drunk and I was pissed off at men in general so I kissed Chun Li in a Nightclub on Halloween only to find out she was really a HE.

Despite obivious hints I was interested in him as a girl he still wants to go out with me. D: He really did look like a girl it was scary.
Fallen Starlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 13:13   Link #55
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
Indeed its a trap, he is chinese and I happen to have his MSN Space page:

http://toshimasasama.spaces.live.com/photos/

I loved his cross dressing cosplays, in fact I do enjoy looking at traps, its quite amazing how they do it. Mako-chan is my favourite besides the sisters.

Traps, transvestite or whatever you choose to call, exist very much in real life and may really be common in Asia. Their population peaks at certain areas in a number of countries, you just have to know where to look. Besides Japan, Taiwan and a bit of China for just harmless cross dressing, Thailand is infamous for its outrageous sex and sex entertainment industry, I've heard of unspeakable tales.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 21:21   Link #56
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Spoiler for Another trap:
Old 2008-02-22, 21:35   Link #57
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

^ That.... is disturbing on SO MANY LEVELS.... I mean, apart from the obvious.
Old 2008-02-22, 22:04   Link #58
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
In reality though, I think I'd end up getting bored after a day or two.
Shows how humans can still be so childish, craving what they don't have, and than once they have it they basically lose all interest BECAUSE they now have it. There's really no solution to it.

~

OK that is very convincing, except for that one part .
Thentus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 22:08   Link #59
Maakasu

Send a message via MSN to Maakasu
ya know i though she was pretty hot until i found out it was a guy now i'm ashamed of what i've done
Maakasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 00:17   Link #60
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

*skips reading all the reactions and blahblah about how sick it is, and simply collects the posted pictures in a folder*

Thanks for the pics, I'll add them to the shota images folder. kthxbye.