AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2008-05-28, 14:41   Link #21
sanzo
33million Humming Brook

haha it appears my theory was right!
sanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 12:36   Link #22
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

So it would appear. Anybody got any thoughts on Kizaru now that he's been quasi-introduced
Old 2008-07-08, 15:57   Link #23
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.I.P. View Post
So it would appear. Anybody got any thoughts on Kizaru now that he's been quasi-introduced
The only thing that I find a little strange about his appearance is the fact that he is not wearing his hat (based on the silhouette that was shown of him quite some time ago). Maybe the way he dresses now has changed since Robin last saw or knew him. I wonder if he was present at the Ohara incident 20 years ago, because if he was it would be interesting to see him have a discussion with Robin pertaining to that event. Furthermore, now that he has arrived at the archipelago, we will be able to see a comparison of how powerful he is compared to Kuma. This I am really looking forward to .

I am also hoping that Garp shows up in the next chapter or couple of chapters at least. When he finally confronts Rayleigh, we may learn quite a bit about Garp's past with Roger, which would be very important I feel.
Old 2008-07-08, 16:38   Link #24
seiji_kun

Isn't the bull DF already taken? Wasn't Dalton in Drum country already a bull? It's gonna be hard to top Lucci's DF if one of the admirals would have a zoan. If he does a tiger or lion it would just be to similar. But it's nothing that Oda can't pull of.

And if we're talking bout the marines I wonder if we gonna see Hina ever again. Personally I hope I'll never see Luffy get caught bye Coby, that would just be anticlimatic. Imo the gap between Luffy and Coby should always be theire, I do grant him his admiral position but catching Luffy is something that should be always impossible to him. And I don't think he ever wants to catch Luffy really, I think he rather wants to proof himself. Could you imagine Coby taking Luffy to headquarterse so he could be executed. That would be just to cruel.

And where is Garp, did he break something again to look cool and is repairing it? Or did he fall a sleep?
seiji_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 19:30   Link #25
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji_kun View Post
Isn't the bull DF already taken? Wasn't Dalton in Drum country already a bull? It's gonna be hard to top Lucci's DF if one of the admirals would have a zoan. If he does a tiger or lion it would just be to similar. But it's nothing that Oda can't pull of.
Not quite. Dalton ate the Bison devil fruit which is different than a bull (see chapter 136 - pages 13 and 14). I personally feel that a bull zoan fruit would suit Akainu's personality very well if he is to have a devil fruit. Also, I am absolutely certain that if Akainu is to have a zoan fruit that it would definitely be a much stronger animal than Lucci's. He is an admiral after all and having a devil fruit that is far stronger and more dangerous than Lucci's only seems logical. Furthermore, he must have a lot more experience as a fighter considering that he was a vice admiral 20 years ago during the Ohara incident, and if he happened to have eaten a devil fruit at that time, it means he has had 20 + years to train with his fruit and master it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji_kun View Post
And if we're talking bout the marines I wonder if we gonna see Hina ever again. Personally I hope I'll never see Luffy get caught bye Coby, that would just be anticlimatic. Imo the gap between Luffy and Coby should always be theire, I do grant him his admiral position but catching Luffy is something that should be always impossible to him. And I don't think he ever wants to catch Luffy really, I think he rather wants to proof himself. Could you imagine Coby taking Luffy to headquarterse so he could be executed. That would be just to cruel.
I am positive we will see Hina again. Oda never forgets his characters. As for Coby, he is most definitely going to become an admiral by the end of the story. His conviction is on par with Luffy's and there is nothing that is going to obstruct him from reaching the top of the marines force. I expect that by the end of the story, he may end up being just as strong as Luffy, and consequently, may end up being the one to put an end to Luffy's reign as pirate king. We have to remember that he said that the next time he sees Luffy they will be enemies in spite of their friendship. However, as you said, he just wants to prove himself by sending a message that there is no such thing as a hardship that is impossible to overcome. I am thinking that when they confront each other again, they will fight each other out of respect but they won't fight to the death or to end their respective dreams. I feel that Coby will be to Luffy what Garp was to Roger, and hence Coby will have a high potential to be the one to put Luffy in his place. I actually wouldn't mind it if Coby did catch Luffy and the story ended with Luffy's execution. The outcome of the story would be different than many other shonen mangas; for the main character would die in the end.
Old 2008-07-08, 20:41   Link #26
seiji_kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Not quite. Dalton ate the Bison devil fruit which is different than a bull (see chapter 136 - pages 13 and 14). I personally feel that a bull zoan fruit would suit Akainu's personality very well if he is to have a devil fruit. Also, I am absolutely certain that if Akainu is to have a zoan fruit that it would definitely be a much stronger animal than Lucci's. He is an admiral after all and having a devil fruit that is far stronger and more dangerous than Lucci's only seems logical. Furthermore, he must have a lot more experience as a fighter considering that he was a vice admiral 20 years ago during the Ohara incident, and if he happened to have eaten a devil fruit at that time, it means he has had 20 + years to train with his fruit and master it.
Can't believe I was mixing up a bull with a bizon. What's even more embarrasing I'm a bull as horoscope. Well biologie ain't my best subject but ain't they from the same family and since Daltons zoan heavely dissapointed me what was prolly more cause of the user then the DF I rather pass for a bull. But then again I enjoyed watching a giraf and Chopper has his moments to. If Oda would go that way I'm sure that he'll make it work. And no doubt here that Lucci wouldn't compare to an admiral. I'm sure the admirals have those superman powers further enhanced then CP9 could ever dream to accomplish.

Quote:
I am positive we will see Hina again. Oda never forgets his characters.
Seeing I'm a fan of strong woman I sure hope so. I wanna see how her DF would turn out in a real battle.

Quote:
As for Coby, he is most definitely going to become an admiral by the end of the story. His conviction is on par with Luffy's and there is nothing that is going to obstruct him from reaching the top of the marines force. I expect that by the end of the story, he may end up being just as strong as Luffy, and consequently, may end up being the one to put an end to Luffy's reign as pirate king. We have to remember that he said that the next time he sees Luffy they will be enemies in spite of their friendship. However, as you said, he just wants to prove himself by sending a message that there is no such thing as a hardship that is impossible to overcome. I am thinking that when they confront each other again, they will fight each other out of respect but they won't fight to the death or to end their respective dreams. I feel that Coby will be to Luffy what Garp was to Roger, and hence Coby will have a high potential to be the one to put Luffy in his place. I actually wouldn't mind it if Coby did catch Luffy and the story ended with Luffy's execution. The outcome of the story would be different than many other shonen mangas; for the main character would die in the end.
I ain't got anything against Coby and it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes an admiral one day since he promised Luffy and like you said before it's his dream and Oda is prolly planning to make all theire dreams come true. The only one that always makes my head spins is Nami's. But beeing an admiral hardly makes you able to be on par with the Pirate King. Heck he could have some brawles with Luffy like Garp did with Roger but just like Garp only was able to corner Roger that's the best Coby will be able to do. I'm sure the bond between Garp and Roger was much deeper, since they're both D.'s it really makes you wonder.

I like Coby but if he surpasses Zoro or Luffy it would ruin it for me. He'll always be that crybaby like Zoro and Luffy said who is prooving that even if you're a crybaby that doesn't mean your not able to make something from yourself. It would just feel weird to see the guy that Luffy had to man up catch him or to see him beat Luffy. And I hope this show will end with Luffy beeing a Pirate King and the straw hats beeing an untouchable worldpower. I'm just hoping it won't end with Luffy doing the same as Roger cause of overusage gears. Only time willl tell.

Last edited by seiji_kun; 2008-07-11 at 12:46. Reason: saw some spelling mistakes :O
seiji_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 10:36   Link #27
CaptainSmoker

From what i gathered from the marines watching the Jap Anime and caught up is that they Marines are technically just the most powerful pirate crew in the world in control of most everything kind of like any super power existing today.

They seized power through deciet and covering up history the entire robin saga we saw that and are worried about this "One piece"

If u guys take a look into the British/French Colonial history in the early 1900s its kinda exactly the way OP portrays the world gov, alot of covering up history, changing history books, massacres from east asia, india, mid east to africa

I think the guy who made OP uses real life history in alot of his work
CaptainSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 15:39   Link #28
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSmoker View Post
From what i gathered from the marines watching the Jap Anime and caught up is that they Marines are technically just the most powerful pirate crew in the world in control of most everything kind of like any super power existing today.

They seized power through deciet and covering up history the entire robin saga we saw that and are worried about this "One piece"

I think the guy who made OP uses real life history in alot of his work
The marines are not a pirate crew. They are one of the three world powers that helps to establish equilibrium in the one piece universe. The other two world powers, the shichibukai and the yonkou, are comprised of pirates only. Essentially, the marines are against anything that pirates stand for; which is why they don't even get along at all with the shichibukai even though they are both affiliated with the world government.

Regarding the corruption within the marines, you are absolutely right about this. They have shown that they can be quite the corrupt organization and may often compromise/sacrifice morality for the sake of their own interests and maintaining their status quo (absolute justice - the eradication of all evil). Furthermore, even though they try to preserve the balance of world power, it may often come at a heavy price for the innocent. Take, for example, the auction house at the sabaody archipelago in the current arc of the story. The auction house operates on a slave trading business; which is of course illegal. Doflamingo, who is one of the members of the shichibukai, happens to be the owner of this business. You would think that the marines would put a stop to all of this illegal activity but they don't do a thing about it because Doflamingo is affiliated with the world government and therefore has immunity from any hassle. Also, if they did try to stop him then he would cause big trouble for both them and the world government, in which neither of the latter two would want at all. As a result, they let these types of illegal activities slide and perpetuate all in the name of maintaining the balance of power and to preserve order. This is just one example of how corrupt they can be when we are given an insight as to what is really going on in their operations. There are, however, a few people in the marines that genuinely seem to be good; such as Aokiji, Garp, and Smoker.

You are also right that Oda does use a lot of historical reference in his work .
Old 2008-07-21, 14:51   Link #29
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

What makes people here think, that Luffy will even be caught and executed in the end? If indeed he becomes Pirate King, it'll spell the beginning of the end for the WG. The truth behind the Void century will be revealed and that will no doubt damage them hugely.

Then there is a matter of the up-coming war between the Whitebeard Pirates and the WG. Then the revolutionary army will have a big part to play in the story eventually, seeing as how they're directly attempting to bring down the WG.

Before the story is done, the WG will fall. Luffy will not be executed by anyone. That is what i think.
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 15:31   Link #30
Vree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihawkXGP View Post
What makes people here think, that Luffy will even be caught and executed in the end?
That cracked me up... It'd be the best surprise ending ever.
Vree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 06:29   Link #31
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

actually another ending would be for luffy and gang to achieve their dream, and find the truth about the lost century.

However they also realise that the current state of things with the world government in charge is better/ can be better than the revealing the truth and causing it's collaspe which would be accompanied by lots of chaos and bloodshed from warring factions and lawlessness.

So they decide to support the marines/world government or even have luffy become and admiral/ take over sengoku.
Hisoka?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 14:04   Link #32
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

He'll be exceuted no matter what. Even if the WG is replaced piracy is still a crime so unless he becomes a shichibukai they'll hunt him down and if they catch him they'll kill him.
Old 2008-07-22, 17:04   Link #33
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.I.P. View Post
He'll be exceuted no matter what. Even if the WG is replaced piracy is still a crime so unless he becomes a shichibukai they'll hunt him down and if they catch him they'll kill him.
This is true. Luffy is and always will be a pirate so he will always be considered an outlaw in the eyes of the marines even though his intentions are good and not evil. Consequently, he will be constantly pursued by the marines until he is caught, which is where I think Coby's role will come into play. By becoming pirate king, Luffy will only continue to incite younger generations of pirates to claim his title by any means necessary; which could have adverse effects towards the marines. Luffy will always be in danger from the marines.
Old 2008-07-22, 17:17   Link #34
james0246

Quote:
This is true. Luffy is and always will be a pirate so he will always be considered an outlaw in the eyes of the marines even though his intentions are good and not evil. Consequently, he will be constantly pursued by the marines until he is caught, which is where I think Coby's role will come into play. By becoming pirate king, Luffy will only continue to incite younger generations of pirates to claim his title by any means necessary; which could have adverse effects towards the marines. Luffy will always be in danger from the marines.
I don't know... The main reason Luffy is considered an enemy now is because of an assumed opposition to the "evil" sections of the WG (the Gorousei). If the WG, as we currently know it, is destroyed (i.e. the Void Century becomes common knowledge, and the people of the world reject the control of the Gorousei (and the nasty Tenryuubito)), then Luffy would not necessarily be considered a threat or a danger. Honestly, all Luffy is trying to do is journey around the world, having adventures (if he never found One Piece, I doubt he would care that much), and have fun with his friends. So, inspiring others to be like him is not necessarily a bad thing (considering that Luffy does not really start fights), nor would it necessarily lead to another Pirate Age. There would just be a lot of people going out on adventures, not really a lot of people going to pillage villages .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 21:03   Link #35
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
I don't know... The main reason Luffy is considered an enemy now is because of an assumed opposition to the "evil" sections of the WG (the Gorousei). If the WG, as we currently know it, is destroyed (i.e. the Void Century becomes common knowledge, and the people of the world reject the control of the Gorousei (and the nasty Tenryuubito)), then Luffy would not necessarily be considered a threat or a danger. Honestly, all Luffy is trying to do is journey around the world, having adventures (if he never found One Piece, I doubt he would care that much), and have fun with his friends. So, inspiring others to be like him is not necessarily a bad thing (considering that Luffy does not really start fights), nor would it necessarily lead to another Pirate Age. There would just be a lot of people going out on adventures, not really a lot of people going to pillage villages .
Is it really safe to call the world government "evil" at this point when we don't even know what the history is about from the Void Century? There could in fact be some valid justification as to why the world government chooses to prevent the public from knowing about this information.

And yes, all Luffy is trying to do is have the freedom to go on adventures in order to achieve his goal of becoming the pirate king. He is a genuinely good person who means no harm to anyone or anything. He is just trying to achieve his dream with his own will. The problem though is that since the world government still currently holds absolute power over everything, they shape and mold the perspectives of people in accordance with their own ideologies. The world government completely disproves of pirates and despises them, so consequently they influence the common people to share this same perspective. However, if the world government does end up getting toppled, and with their destruction their ideologies are superseded by those of Luffy, then the people will see that there are pirates like Luffy who are merely out to go on adventures as you said. Although, there is always some bad that accompanies the good. This means that there would still probably be some typical power hungry pirates doing bad things that want to claim the title of pirate king. In short, as long as the world government remains in power, I feel that Luffy will always be branded as a criminal and the people will continue to look at the pirate age as a pestilence. As a result, the marines would never cease to pursue Luffy.
Old 2008-07-29, 15:23   Link #36
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
And yes, all Luffy is trying to do is have the freedom to go on adventures in order to achieve his goal of becoming the pirate king. He is a genuinely good person who means no harm to anyone or anything. He is just trying to achieve his dream with his own will. The problem though is that since the world government still currently holds absolute power over everything, they shape and mold the perspectives of people in accordance with their own ideologies. The world government completely disproves of pirates and despises them, so consequently they influence the common people to share this same perspective. However, if the world government does end up getting toppled, and with their destruction their ideologies are superseded by those of Luffy, then the people will see that there are pirates like Luffy who are merely out to go on adventures as you said. Although, there is always some bad that accompanies the good. This means that there would still probably be some typical power hungry pirates doing bad things that want to claim the title of pirate king. In short, as long as the world government remains in power, I feel that Luffy will always be branded as a criminal and the people will continue to look at the pirate age as a pestilence. As a result, the marines would never cease to pursue Luffy.
Even if the World Government were to fall tomorrow, I doubt that do much for Luffy's criminal standing. He would still be a pirate and all the he has done would not just "magically" go away.

Luffy has opposed Marine officials, plain and simple. Though usually done on good terms and motives, Luffy takes no time in pointing this out to anyone and consequently gets no credit as an upholder of "true" justice. He is still a threat in the eyes of the Marines who, in all likelihood, would outlast the fall of the World Government if only barely.

In all honesty, I don't think Luffy would want it any other way. He chooses to live outside the law and takes into account the ramifications of his choice. He lives by his morals because it's the only way he wants to live, not abiding by the mandates of general society.

Besides, I doubt Oda himself would want Luffy to get off scot-free just because he became King of the Pirates and took down the WG, it seems too cliche'.

Last edited by BlackNhite; 2008-07-29 at 15:24. Reason: Lack of attention...
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 13:38   Link #37
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I have recently learned an interesting fact regarding the marine admirals that I am sure everyone here will appreciate. Many people, including myself, believed that Aokiji is the strongest out of all the three admirals due to the translation at the end of chapter 303. However, this is simply not factually true. Before I go on about this, I give credit to a user by the name of mrkaizoku on arlong park forums. Thank you for your discovery and clarification on this matter .

Since I can't put it any better myself, I will quote (in bold) what he said in the chapter 508 thread on page 16.

It's in chapter 303: "金持ち海賊団" "Kanemochi Kaizokudan"

Translation: A literal translation of the title would be "The Rich Pirate Group", but after cleaning it up and taking out redundant words you end up with "The Rich Pirates".

The last page of the chapter's biggest panel says:

[海軍本部] 最高戦力 [大将] "青キジ"...

Kaigunhonbu Saikosenryouku Taisho "Aokiji"...

Translation: The Navy (it says Navy but I believe that Oda prefers Marines) Headquarter's strongest fighter (the Kanji says "Battle Potential" but strongest fighter works better in English and has an equivalent meaning) Admiral "Aokiji".

In chapter 319: "海軍本部[大将] "青キジ" "Kaigunhonbu Taisho "Aokiji"

Translation: The Navy/Marine Headquater's Admiral "Aokiji

On page three Robin says: ...世界政府の "最高戦力"と 呼ばれる 3人
...Sekaiseifu no "Saikosenryoku" to Yobareru 3 Nin

Translation: Those 3 People are called The World Government's Strongest Fighters (highest battle potentials)

So according to Nico Robin Aokiji is one of the strongest Admirals out of the three. The Gorosei at the end of chapter 303 are saying that Aokiji is the strongest at Marine headquarters not the strongest admiral.

Even in chapter 507, the pirate next to the one that shot Kizaru in the back of the head, states "He has (referring to Kizaru) the Navy's/Marines highest battle potential". In other words, the same kanji is used to describe all three admirals in chapters 303, 319, and 507. They are all simply described as having the highest battle potential, and therefore, it is not specified which one of them is the strongest. Having said this, Aokiji may be the strongest but from what we know he may also be the weakest out of the three admirals.
Old 2008-08-01, 14:13   Link #38
marvelB

I always kinda figured that the whole "Aokiji=strongest Marine" thing was a misinterpretation (it's kinda like "Pirate's Summit" all over again ). I don't really think that there is a "strongest" admiral... all three of those guys are just deadly in their own way, like with the Shichibukai (though we don't know what Akainu can do yet, but I think we can all be certain that his abilities won't be anything to sneeze at). Frankly, I always figured that Sengoku was the outright strongest Marine anyway, since he outranks all 3 admirals...

Oh, and I also believe that Garp is on the same level of the 3 admirals strength-wise, as well. Chances are, the only reason he didn't get a promotion is because he's a bit rebellious himself, what with him being a "D" and all.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 18:16   Link #39
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh, and I also believe that Garp is on the same level of the 3 admirals strength-wise, as well. Chances are, the only reason he didn't get a promotion is because he's a bit rebellious himself, what with him being a "D" and all.
By the looks of it so far, Garp doesn't seem to have a devil fruit ability. He just seems to be ridiculously strong as a normal man. However, given what we've seen from two admirals so far (Aokiji and Kizaru), I have a feeling that Garp is not quite as strong as them. Their feats of power so far (ie. ice age and destroying a whole mangrove tree with a kick) have been more impressive than those of Garp, although it is true that those feats are attributed to their devil fruits. But even if Garp is weaker than them, it is completely understandable I feel because he is no longer in his fighting prime. In his prime he may have even been stronger than the current admirals we know. I do, however, believe that Garp is on the same level, if not greater, than most of the shichibukai. He definitely seems stronger than Crocodile and Moria, but I feel that he is weaker than Mihawk and Blackbeard.
Old 2008-08-01, 19:26   Link #40
marvelB

Oh, I doubt that Garp has a DF power myself. I just believe that he's on par with the admirals since he was famous for "cornering the Pirate King". If he was the Smoker to Roger's Luffy in the past then I'd expect him to have some insane physical strength, which we've already seen hints of during Water 7 (like his one-man Buster Call). Another hint was when Whitebeard told Shanks that Garp was one of the few people who remember what it was like during Roger's era. Maybe he's not as strong as he used to be due to his age, but I still think he's more than formidable enough to be an admiral, though his attitude most likely prevented him from getting a promotion. Either that, or he just turned down the position (kinda like how Silvers Rayleigh clearly has the strength to be a Yonkou, yet prefers to live a more quiet, comfortable life as a ship-coater while occasionally gambling).
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote