AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-10-15, 01:11   Link #61
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Well, Mio may be #1 in popularity, but Yūno is #2, and the difference in votes is not particularly big. So, it isn't as if Mio is alone at the top.

Both of them are main girls and both of them are fan-favourites.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 03:24   Link #62
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Well, Mio may be #1 in popularity, but Yūno is #2, and the difference in votes is not particularly big. So, it isn't as if Mio is alone at the top.

Both of them are main girls and both of them are fan-favourites.
But Mio is still the most popular between them. Not to mention that anime production seems to prefer Mio as well (when you look at the site and the way anime is presented) which does have its own influence on LN.

In fact at that point Yuuno normally would have been number one since she got just as much focus and her focus being more important as it was couple based one, pairing her up with the lead, but Mio beat her even then. Now when the novels are starting to shift more towards Mio as she becomes an active love interest, I expect the drift between the two grow bigger.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 05:10   Link #63
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Popularity does not necessarily work that way, though. Sure, focus does affect some degree of popularity for some type of characters, but popularity tends not to change much when it comes down to MCs or some iconic characters, since those tend to have a set fanbase. Take for example, say... Hayate no Gotoku. There may be times in which Hinagiku doesn't receive much focus... yet, she'll always win the popularity polls by a landslide. Umineko is also much like this. Battler may not receive much focus and he still will be #1 in the polls. In fact, Ange, Rosa and Natsuhi would probably be a much better example than Battler, since, even if they barely get any focus or even if they do not even show up, they'll still be on top 5 on every single popularity poll. An even better example would be Negima, because Evangeline barely shows up, yet she tends to be in top 5 - usually on the first 3 spots. I think she was #1 in the last two polls.

Anyway, I don't think the popularity rankings in MM! will have any particular effect in in the outcome for Mio and Yūno and/or in the subsequent fan reaction, since both of them seem to be well received. Of course, it'd be a different story if Yūno was at the bottom of the popularity rankings and she won, but being #2 and with difference in votes which is not particularly large, I don't think there's any hindrance if the author decides to go for a Yūno end. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most fans were fine with either of them winning.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 06:27   Link #64
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
There are much more cases where the focus does effect popularity. Like Shakugan No Shana or similar animes rather then the cases where it doesnt.

Seems like author decided to go for Mio focus now and I would guess ending it with her as winner as well in a typical fashion one girl seems like the winner but then the mina girl bursts in and near the end ends up with the main guy despite all the odds.

Typical but again - it usually works well. Better than Ichigo like endings as it keeps surprisingly more fans satisfied when the main girl ends up with the main guy rather than when the second to main heroine wins.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 08:30   Link #65
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
It's not necessarily better. It all comes down to how things are developed. Say, if you have the MC go out with the second main girl and this is properly developed, yet, by the end, out of thin air the author has the other main girl end up with the MC, then that's pretty much crappy development. Of course, I'm not saying this is the case for MM. I'm just stating an example.

Anyway, having a second main girl end is, in no way, inferior to having the main girl win, if it is properly developed. And, in MM!'s case, Yūno has not only been properly developed, but she is quite popular too. Sure, the most popular girl is Mio. However, Yūno is popular enough so that, if she wins, fans won't be enraged. So, the author can definitely pull a Yūno end if he wants. Of course, I'm not saying he will, but he definitely can. And, from what I've heard, Tarō and Yūno's relationship has been developed for quite some time and rather well. So, I honestly see no problem with them ending up together. Naturally, the author can also start developing a relationship with Mio, and have Tarō end up with her, but just because she's #1 in popularity, that's not a given.

In the end, all I can say, is that both girls have equal opportunities to end up with Tarō. Both of them are main girls and both of them are very popular with the fans. As of now, things can go either way. Personally, whoever wins, I hope she receives proper development - both, as a character and in terms of relationship. As long as that condition is met, I'll be satisfied, since I like both girls equally.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 15:13   Link #66
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
It's not necessarily better. It all comes down to how things are developed. Say, if you have the MC go out with the second main girl and this is properly developed, yet, by the end, out of thin air the author has the other main girl end up with the MC, then that's pretty much crappy development. Of course, I'm not saying this is the case for MM. I'm just stating an example.

Anyway, having a second main girl end is, in no way, inferior to having the main girl win, if it is properly developed. And, in MM!'s case, Yūno has not only been properly developed, but she is quite popular too. Sure, the most popular girl is Mio. However, Yūno is popular enough so that, if she wins, fans won't be enraged. So, the author can definitely pull a Yūno end if he wants. Of course, I'm not saying he will, but he definitely can. And, from what I've heard, Tarō and Yūno's relationship has been developed for quite some time and rather well. So, I honestly see no problem with them ending up together. Naturally, the author can also start developing a relationship with Mio, and have Tarō end up with her, but just because she's #1 in popularity, that's not a given.

In the end, all I can say, is that both girls have equal opportunities to end up with Tarō. Both of them are main girls and both of them are very popular with the fans. As of now, things can go either way. Personally, whoever wins, I hope she receives proper development - both, as a character and in terms of relationship. As long as that condition is met, I'll be satisfied, since I like both girls equally.
Well it is well known trick to give the second firl first step in the race just to have the first girl receive major increase of focus and win at the finish line. It happened a lot of time and with recent focus increase on Mio it seems to start happening now.

For Yuuno fans, it is worse that Mio does actually receive a development rather than stagnating like the main heroine of Ichigo (lets avoid the names so we not spoil too much). Though again in Ichigo's case it seems like the author did plan the main girl ending at first but the popularity polls and the way manga went finally convinced her to switch teams and let the other girl win.

IN MM's case the increase of focus on Mio lately means that the manga is hitting second phase and is preparing for the typical first girl wins at the finish line thing. Yuuno can still win, but so far from the way things are going and from the way things typically go in general I would say Mio has much greater advantage.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 18:48   Link #67
cyberdemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
popularity isn't necessarily a guarantee for a girl. I can think of several anime and manga where there are girl 2 or 3 times more popular than the end girl and yet still lose the guy to the end girl (ex. Kotori from Da Capo). Just because a girl is popular is not a guarantee that she'll get the guy.
cyberdemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 21:49   Link #68
pampz21
ripApart
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Q? about vol.9
Why is Yumi hugging Tarou in the snow?
__________________


to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life


pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 22:53   Link #69
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Spoiler for vol 9:
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 23:28   Link #70
pampz21
ripApart
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
wow~ looks like her massage are like dopping!
__________________


to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life


pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 00:19   Link #71
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Though again in Ichigo's case it seems like the author did plan the main girl ending at first but the popularity polls and the way manga went finally convinced her to switch teams and let the other girl win.
Well, I haven't read Ichigo 100%. The only reason I know about it is because almost every single person - Japanese fans apparently included - seems to think the ending was complete rubbish. So, I guess that goes to show you that just because you follow popularity polls, people won't like what you do.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 00:56   Link #72
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Well, I haven't read Ichigo 100%. The only reason I know about it is because almost every single person - Japanese fans apparently included - seems to think the ending was complete rubbish. So, I guess that goes to show you that just because you follow popularity polls, people won't like what you do.
Well ichigo had the two heroines he started dating with one from the start while the other girl, who looked like main heroine hanged around and everyone expected her to be the ending giirl, but it was the second heroine who won. And despite her being more popular than the main one, the ending left a lot of fans unhappy.

Kind of similar storyline to MM. JUst that here the main girl is more popular. And she gets more development.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 01:25   Link #73
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Indeed, that goes to show us that popularity is not that important for the ending as far as fans' reactions go, but expectations. In Ichigo 100%, you have one girl from whom the series' name seems to be derived - i.e. the main girl who apparently has strawberries in her panties. So, most likely, fans had developed expectations on seeing her getting developed and win, since the series is, apparently, about her. However, when things didn't go that way, the fans' expectations were not met, and not many liked the ending.

I'd say MM! is rather different, since in this case, both girls are equally important. Of course, one of them may be favoured by the author and the anime crew when it comes down to marketing, side material and other things, but as long as the story itself is concerned, both girls have the same footing. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, in Ichigo 100% the MC started dating "the rival" rather early in the story, right? It that's how it is, then MM is rather different, since Tarō didn't date anyone early, but he did so after some amount of development. In Ichigo 100%, I can guess why the fans were disappointed, since the MC started dating the rival early in the story due to some mistake (he, apparently, mistook her for the main girl), and they probably expected the main girl to get developed and eventually win at the end, but things didn't go that way and their expectations were not met. Just by taking this into account, we can tell the situations for both stories are rather different, since in MM we've got 2 girls who have got equal footing and relevance from the very beginning, as opposed to Ichigo 100% in which you were made to expect something to happen with the man girl, which never really happened.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 02:35   Link #74
uis
...
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hekiyou Gakuen Student Council
Age: 25
Mio and Yuuno is classic battle of shipping/pairing wars anyway. Yuuno will won because mostly the author will pick the girl he like not popular with fan or whatever. We can see the example like True Tears, School Rumble, Da Capo, Clannad, Kanon or watever series. Even some popular girls won in the end like Nishino but Nishino is special cases anyway. Mangaka likes Nishino more than Aya anyway so this still applied.
__________________

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 02:38   Link #75
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Indeed, that goes to show us that popularity is not that important for the ending as far as fans' reactions go, but expectations. In Ichigo 100%, you have one girl from whom the series' name seems to be derived - i.e. the main girl who apparently has strawberries in her panties. So, most likely, fans had developed expectations on seeing her getting developed and win, since the series is, apparently, about her. However, when things didn't go that way, the fans' expectations were not met, and not many liked the ending.

I'd say MM! is rather different, since in this case, both girls are equally important. Of course, one of them may be favoured by the author and the anime crew when it comes down to marketing, side material and other things, but as long as the story itself is concerned, both girls have the same footing. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, in Ichigo 100% the MC started dating "the rival" rather early in the story, right? It that's how it is, then MM is rather different, since Tarō didn't date anyone early, but he did so after some amount of development. In Ichigo 100%, I can guess why the fans were disappointed, since the MC started dating the rival early in the story due to some mistake (he, apparently, mistook her for the main girl), and they probably expected the main girl to get developed and eventually win at the end, but things didn't go that way and their expectations were not met. Just by taking this into account, we can tell the situations for both stories are rather different, since in MM we've got 2 girls who have got equal footing and relevance from the very beginning, as opposed to Ichigo 100% in which you were made to expect something to happen with the man girl, which never really happened.
Actually the other girl was just as important as the heroine so you are wrong. And she also had strawberry, so I would say it is similar to MM that the second girl had a lot of build up in relationship part while the main girl did not.

So while you try to make it different in fact it is very similar. Second girl had the focus and was like Yuuno really. In fact she had more development than main girl. So stop seeing difference there where they are similar.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 02:41   Link #76
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by uis View Post
Mio and Yuuno is classic battle of shipping/pairing wars anyway. Yuuno will won because mostly the author will pick the girl he like not popular with fan or whatever. We can see the example like True Tears, School Rumble, Da Capo, Clannad, Kanon or watever series. Even some popular girls won in the end like Nishino but Nishino is special cases anyway. Mangaka likes Nishino more than Aya anyway so this still applied.
And how do you see that the author likes her? So far Mio has more attention. If anything it seems like author favors Mio over Yuuno. And School rumble using as an example? Seriously? If anything Sawatchika was the most popular girl in terms of pairing and she looked like the closest to Harima at the end. i dont see how it illustrates it at all. If it were based on what author likes then we would have gotten Akira heavy ending.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2010-10-16 at 03:00.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 03:05   Link #77
uis
...
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hekiyou Gakuen Student Council
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
And how do you see that the author likes her? So far Mio has more attention. If anything it seems like author favors Mio over Yuuno.
Mio has attention because fans like her. Yuuno get development like that glasses pic and Tarou dating her show that author like Yuuno and trying to make fan like her too. Of course all good author want to develop his chara like Yumi and Noa too. Mio don't get special treatment here but she is one of heroine like Yuuno so she need development too. Anyway mostly all author will put her fav chara as heroine because it reflect someone they loved in RL like Yabuki draw Haruna in TLR designed from his ex wife. You can see example like in Bakuman manga too. The heroine that Mashiro draw is look alike Azuki because that show his affection to Azuki.

Oh well about School Rumble, KJ likes Akira but he likes Tenma too so only Tenma get good end.
__________________

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 05:06   Link #78
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by uis View Post
Mio has attention because fans like her. Yuuno get development like that glasses pic and Tarou dating her show that author like Yuuno and trying to make fan like her too. Of course all good author want to develop his chara like Yumi and Noa too. Mio don't get special treatment here but she is one of heroine like Yuuno so she need development too. Anyway mostly all author will put her fav chara as heroine because it reflect someone they loved in RL like Yabuki draw Haruna in TLR designed from his ex wife. You can see example like in Bakuman manga too. The heroine that Mashiro draw is look alike Azuki because that show his affection to Azuki.

Oh well about School Rumble, KJ likes Akira but he likes Tenma too so only Tenma get good end.
He was ok with Tenma but clearly stated many times that his most favorite character was Akira. If it was based on what author likes then Akira would have owned the ending.

And though Tenma got the happy ending it was still focused on Harima dn Sawatchika most of the time.

Or look at Index. The growing Misaka popularity made her to be the real heroine of Index instead of Index herself. And author became more draw to giving her more time as well, It could happen the same with MM as well, or not?

So if you are saying that Mio gets development because Mio is fanfavorite why do not think that she will get the ending for the same reason as well.

Now in later volume Mio clearly took the center stage over Yuuno now, while at first their development was on a similar focus sometimes yuuno got bit more, but now it is shifting much more clearly towards Mio and you are saying that it is because fans and not because the author favoritism? I really dont see that, but even if it was just because fan-popularity then how you can be sure if this fan-popularity would not be decisive factor later if it is making to switch the story focus even now?

Fan popularity can be a scary thing. The best example of that is Kempfer novels. As you know Shizuku was just one of the heroines, and not the main one clearly, but her popularity with the fans was so big that editors pressed the author to give author more Shizuku focus. Author snapped and showed a middle finger - created a rush ending where MC ends with another girl. Fans started rage and now it seems like the author is forced to redo the ending again.

It already happened with him once. Maburaho had a rushed ending that didn't please the fans and the author had to redo it and the series ran much longer than intended just to please the fans and give the ending fans wanted.

So you can preach about how the author favoritism is more important than fanfavorite but reality can be bit heavy on that. And in MM case its not even clear if author favorites Yuuno at all. What works for Yuuno is that she is still a popular heroine and is not that far behind, but still Mio is the fanfavorite and the gap is big enough to make XEBEC focus and show pretty blatantly who is intended main heroine rather than making both Mio and Yuuno look equal in presentation of anime.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2010-10-16 at 05:22.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 14:53   Link #79
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Actually the other girl was just as important as the heroine so you are wrong. And she also had strawberry, so I would say it is similar to MM that the second girl had a lot of build up in relationship part while the main girl did not.

So while you try to make it different in fact it is very similar. Second girl had the focus and was like Yuuno really. In fact she had more development than main girl. So stop seeing difference there where they are similar.
Actually, you are misunderstanding my point. So, even if my knowledge on Ichigo 100% is wrong, my point still stands. In that manga, the MC started dating the other girl rather early, because he mistook her for the girl he actually saw (this, for what you've told me, I guess is due to the strawberry panties). However, the manga seems to have been set-up in a way, so that the MC would eventually find about the actually girl he met and go for her, especially when he got in a relationship with the other girl really early.

In MM, on the other hand, there's no such set-up. The plot hasn't made you expect one girl to win, or even less to expect one type of development. In addition, Tarō didn't begin his relationship with Yūno out of a mistake, but after several volumes of development. Of course, this doesn't mean the author has different plans, but if he doesn't and he decides to keep Tarō and Yūno together, I don't think many people will complain.

Again, I'm not saying there will be a Yūno end. My point is that both girls have equal opportunities on this. But well, if you really believe otherwise, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 22:11   Link #80
ZeKeR
somewhere in the armory
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Armacham Replica Training center
i believe this will be a harem... wish it was always that way...

did anyone do a character sheet with thar respective pic?
__________________
lets roll
ZeKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light novels, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.