AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-11, 08:27   Link #221
Socke
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
1. Valkyria Chronicles

I have no idea why Nihon Review give this 4/10. Yes its far from perfect but it is much better than what Nihon Review said. What kind of cock that they sucked. Excuse me but I really, really, REALLY angry with that review.

Ahh yes, they rated Legend of Galactic Heroes as 10/10 and School Days as 8/10...

2. Kampfer

I guess it easy to hate any ecchi/fanservice shows like this one. Perhaps a little too easy. Too easy that people ignored most other good aspects of it.

It depends on other people but this show(at least to me) have good animation quality, good voice-acting, good soundtrack and good character designs. Yes it unfinished but I really hope for its second season.

In my own analogy, it much like a good WW2 game that came out when most gamers hate every WW2 games such as Call of Duty: World at War. People tend to ignore all other aspects because its theme alone.

3. K-On

Yet another show that was hated for its theme alone, if that hatred was never aimed towards KyoAni itself.
Socke is offline  
Old 2010-01-11, 08:39   Link #222
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socke View Post
School Days as 8/10...
One of those reviews was 5/10 I think...
__________________
Haak is offline  
Old 2010-01-11, 13:38   Link #223
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socke View Post
1. Valkyria Chronicles

I have no idea why Nihon Review give this 4/10. Yes its far from perfect but it is much better than what Nihon Review said. What kind of cock that they sucked. Excuse me but I really, really, REALLY angry with that review.
I liked that show too. It really got serious at the end, which was probably a shock to the fan base, but I liked it a lot. It made me feel like theyreally were at war, as opposed the the show's first stupid character shield, and how a scratch on a leg from a bullet narrowly missing (you know what I mean) was a grievous injury. The only problem I had was the ending was a bit too compacted for my taste, but overall I found it very enjoyable.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline  
Old 2010-01-11, 13:53   Link #224
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Pretty sure that like both Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Valkyria Chronicles was judged harshly by people who played the game before watching the animated series.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline  
Old 2010-01-11, 14:14   Link #225
RWBladewing
Designated Target
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In the repair dock for another 5 hours
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
It really got serious at the end, which was probably a shock to the fan base
It's actually kind of the opposite of that I think. A lot of the complaints I read on these forums mentioned how the humor and love triangle subplot "ruined the great completely serious war story that was in the game." People seem to ignore the fact that the game featured units such as the camp gay guy with multiple lines about fawning over muscles and the little girl who declared herself to be "Super Aisha" and giggled and cheered whenever she got a kill (and these characters were more over the top in the game than in the anime). Not to mention that basically all the serious moments outside of the main relationship were kept intact in the anime anyway. Yeah they changed some stuff that didn't need to be changed and I think the love triangle was pretty stupid but overall I'm not going to call it a terrible anime because of that.

On a similar note the image thread in the series' subforum has now turned into a discussion of modern military hardware. Guess that kinda shows what people had been expecting even though there was no reason to.
RWBladewing is offline  
Old 2010-01-11, 22:05   Link #226
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socke View Post

3. K-On

Yet another show that was hated for its theme alone, if that hatred was never aimed towards KyoAni itself.
What's with all the KyoAni hate anyway? They do pretty decent jobs....
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline  
Old 2010-01-11, 23:44   Link #227
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Pretty sure that like both Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Valkyria Chronicles was judged harshly by people who played the game before watching the animated series.
I'm one of those people.

Actually I watched the first couple of episodes, then played the game. I came to the consensus that Valkyria Chronicles was one of the worst animes I've ever seen by comparison to the game. The game was absolutely amazing in every way. The anime they made even the most bittersweet moments into ridiculous drama. Want a great example? Compare the log cabin scene with the wounded soldier from the game and anime. Biggest failure ever. Now the anime on its own would've been fine but with something to live up to... No.

You know a lot of you might disagree with me on this, but I always got the impression that .Hack is very unpopular. I like all the different .Hacks and it was one of my first anime obsessions. However, others seem to disagree.

I suppose if "Animes you love but nobody else has watched" was part of the topic I'd have to say Banner of the Stars.
__________________
Traece is offline  
Old 2010-01-11, 23:47   Link #228
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
You know a lot of you might disagree with me on this, but I always got the impression that .Hack is very unpopular. I like all the different .Hacks and it was one of my first anime obsessions. However, others seem to disagree.
I like it too, and I agree cause I often got that feeling about .hack series.
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Auxilism
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is online now  
Old 2010-01-11, 23:57   Link #229
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
.hack// is pretty unpopular because, well, it's bad. The source material (the games) are bad, and the animated series are also bad.

But the music is Yuki Kajiura and is therefore awesome. "The World" and "Liminality" are great, great songs (a friend of mine totally got to go see Yuki Kajiura/Kalafina live in 2008 and I was so, so, so jealous of her).
__________________
synaesthetic is offline  
Old 2010-01-12, 07:12   Link #230
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socke View Post
1. Valkyria Chronicles

I have no idea why Nihon Review give this 4/10. Yes its far from perfect but it is much better than what Nihon Review said. What kind of cock that they sucked. Excuse me but I really, really, REALLY angry with that review.

Ahh yes, they rated Legend of Galactic Heroes as 10/10 and School Days as 8/10...
I'll bite. I'll quietly ignore the poor grammar and belligerent name calling. It doesn't bother me that you disagree with my rating. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. What concerns me is that you don't understand why I didn't like Valkyria Chronicles after reading my review. That means I haven't done my job.

I was ok with the first half of the anime. It had a generally light-hearted mood so I didn't exactly take it all too seriously, but there were some entertaining moments and the characters, while generally over-the-top, were fairly fun to watch, particularly the important ones like Welkin, Alicia, Faldio, Isara, etc. There was the odd serious moment, which was to be expected, since they were at war (although you couldn't be sure from Squad 7's casualty numbers during the first half), and while the dramatic execution was often a bit shaky, I wasn't going to be too critical since it played within its means and the characters generally remained lively and interesting. It wasn't anything amazing, but it was a decent "pass the time" anime.

The first thing that really made me stop and ask "what the hell were they thinking" was the spoiler filled second OP. It meant that whenever those spoilers came up in the plot itself, the story had no oxygen. It's a bit much for them to ask you to be surprised (or even care) about a major plot twist when it's been right there, staring you in the face at the beginning of the last seven episodes. The logic started to become more and more questionable in the second half as well. There's been some fairly thorough discussions in the episodic threads on the VC subforum, so I'm not going to go into too much detail, but there were lots of little things, like
Spoiler for Valkyria Chronicles:
Little things like that, which just take you out of the moment because the coincidences underneath all the dramatic occurrences just feel so obviously contrived by a writer.

The other thing that really hurt the drama, IMO, was the fact that the main three characters lost much of their personality during the second half, and become really bland, boring people. You can rationalize it as them "giving up" and being angsty because of all the bad things happening to them, eg.
Spoiler:
but there still has to be something there, a reason to root for them or care about what's happening to them. For me it was their little idiosyncrasies which gave them so much life and colour during the first half, but these completely disappeared once the show became "serious" (never mind that the serious stuff itself was often executed with a heavy-hand and came with some really tacky dialogue). Then there were all the DBZ-esque fights in the latter episodes, which were a pretty big departure from the early action sequences, which at least tried to focus on strategy and using the conditions to advantage. Oh, and the love triangle had no oxygen because it, too, was spoiled by the OP sequence.

There was one episode in the second half that I really liked, and that was ep 19. It was dramatic, romantic and really momentous, the characters' emotions were raw and felt genuine and the story was well told, allowing us to understand their backgrounds and the meaning behind a few of the important relationships. But all the episodes after this just weren't up to scratch. The execution was shoddy, the writing was questionable... I could see what it was trying to do, but it fell well short of the mark.

When I stepped back after it was finished and realized that there was only one episode that I'd liked during the last ten or so, it became obvious that the show had lost me and I wanted to figure out why. In this case it wasn't so much one big thing as it is a lot of little things, combined with the execution. Also, I'd have no idea how it stacks up compared with the game, since I've never played it. I happen to be the type of person that doesn't like the idea that an anime needs to be loyal to its source to be good, so that's certainly not the reason why I didn't like VC. As for School Days, we have three reviews for that on our site, with three vastly different ratings and different opinions. We certainly don't always agree on every anime we watch, but we see that disagreement as a good thing, since it often sparks discussion.

Like I said, I don't expect you to agree with me. That's not my intention. What I'm hoping is that you can at least see why I didn't like it.
Sorrow-K is offline  
Old 2010-01-12, 07:54   Link #231
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Also, I'd have no idea how it stacks up compared with the game, since I've never played it.
MrTerrorist gives a rather amusing comparison.
__________________
Haak is offline  
Old 2010-01-12, 08:47   Link #232
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Zero Punctiation's review of Valkyria Chronicles is highly amusing.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline  
Old 2010-01-14, 01:12   Link #233
Socke
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
What's with all the KyoAni hate anyway? They do pretty decent jobs....
I don't know how to describe it but saying that you like any KyoAni's productions is much like you like any Michael Bay's movies. People will ridicule you for that, even they never saw any KyoAni's productions before. Yes, I'm talking about trolls who jumped onto the bandwagon just because the driver hated it. All others are just playing cool. If you say you love Lucky Star or K-On in public, they will reply "go get a life you moetard".
Socke is offline  
Old 2010-01-14, 01:19   Link #234
Wirbelwind8
d-_-b
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado
DBZ for me. I liked it because I grew up watching it as a kid and it was just plain awesome for my puny mind to comprend the stalling and dragged episodes.

Alot of my friends hate it though.
__________________
Wirbelwind8 is offline  
Old 2010-01-14, 04:26   Link #235
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Making people too mad to respond
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The DBZ movies are totally awesome.
__________________
God damn, there's so much bad fanservice out there. Touch me and I'll beat the crap out of you!
You are about to move into areas of the anime industry with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2010-01-14, 05:19   Link #236
Ash Falls Town
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Adelaide
Age: 26
Not enough people love Miracle Train for my liking. It's hilarious but can be touching when it needs to be. It had nice story progression and ended well. The weekly problems were handled well but were significantly diverse. It has great directing by a great director and Shiodome and Roppongi are both adorable. Plus it's educational!

However most people pass it off as weird and pandering. Or they assume the humourous parts are all unintentional. (Can anyone seriously say that Tokugawa's comments are unintentional?) Then there are people who pass it off as sexist because it involves men helping women. They help a wide range of women with a wide range of problems and it's no real different from visiting a counselor or similar.
__________________
Ash Falls Town is offline  
Old 2010-01-14, 13:13   Link #237
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
.hack// is pretty unpopular because, well, it's bad. The source material (the games) are bad, and the animated series are also bad.
I strongly disagree.

I loved the .hack GU games.
I felt that they had an excellent storyline to them, and I genuinely enjoyed the gameplay more often then not (especially late in the final game where you get a new combat mode/style for the main character).

The .hack Roots anime was a pretty good lead-in into the games. I'll admit that it had an extremely slow pacing, but otherwise, I was fairly pleased with it.


The .hack anime wasn't popular because they exist for the benefit of the games (as opposed to the games existing for the benefit of the anime). In other words, the anime is there simply to support (and chronologically feed into) the games. The games is where the vast majority of the real action takes place.
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2010-01-14, 17:42   Link #238
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Being a fairly hardcore CRPG fan, as a rule I don't like jRPGs (with a few notable exceptions), so my dislike for .hack// is not terribly surprising.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline  
Old 2010-01-14, 19:43   Link #239
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Being a fairly hardcore CRPG fan, as a rule I don't like jRPGs (with a few notable exceptions), so my dislike for .hack// is not terribly surprising.
Ok, I get where you're coming from now, at least.

JRPG's have an unique feel to them that's not for every RPG fan...
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2010-01-14, 19:55   Link #240
Wirbelwind8
d-_-b
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
The DBZ movies are totally awesome.
I wouldn't say all of them were "totally awesome" I like the first two like "Tree of Might" and "Worlds Strongest" (personal favorite). The others were mediocre.
__________________
Wirbelwind8 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.