AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-01, 22:11   Link #61
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agitation View Post
I'm wondering why they couldn't sell it, there must be very good reasons because I'm sure some company would of been willing to buy this great site ^_^.

Stage6 was the best for basically everything, mainly high quality amv's for me. I'll be sad to see it go.
the operations cost is extremely high so nobody bought it
Old 2008-03-02, 09:21   Link #62
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Shame, only used it a couple of times because I use BitTorrent and stuff

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 23:51   Link #63
Anime+
Banned

This really is too bad, I just started using Stage 6 three weeks ago. I think that divx will eventually bring it back when the costs of operating such a site go down. However, at that point there will be many others with high-quality streaming video sites.
Anime+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 17:39   Link #64
vorpal83

Anyone have a replacement site so far? Stage 6's quality was just so much better than everything else.
vorpal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 17:50   Link #65
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Meh, use BitTorrent. It's almost as good, just slightly more difficult to find stuff. It still has very good quality, though I guess it would eat up some drive space.
Old 2008-03-11, 10:10   Link #66
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Meh, use BitTorrent. It's almost as good, just slightly more difficult to find stuff. It still has very good quality, though I guess it would eat up some drive space.
Streaming stuff eats up space all the same. The difference is that it gets deleted as soon as the program flushes its cache, which you can also do by deleting the episode as soon as you watch it (try to upload a bit before that, though).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 10:13   Link #67
King Lycan
*IT Support

thats why you buy an 500gb External Drive
Old 2008-03-11, 10:48   Link #68
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
word.. my externals are some of my most precious possesions.. bah.. veohs good.. but not a match for stage6
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 11:04   Link #69
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
If you have the cash.... I settle for a 4 GB external hard drive. It lets me watch about 1 season of 26 episodes, depending on the filesize.
Old 2008-03-11, 11:11   Link #70
King Lycan
*IT Support

bums get a job like me XD
Old 2008-03-11, 11:24   Link #71
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
If you have the cash.... I settle for a 4 GB external hard drive. It lets me watch about 1 season of 26 episodes, depending on the filesize.
If you're going to use 4GB mediums to store your videos, you might as well burn them to DVD-Rs. External Hard-disks are not that expensive anymore, and even MP3 players have capacities that is at least double-digit, if not triple easily.

I suppose 500GB versions may be a little pricey to students and NEETs, but think about it this way... the price of one 500GB piece is about the cost of 3 videogames. Those 100GB pieces are about the price of an average videogame.

Simply put, storage space is dirt-cheap these days, especially if they are internal hard-disks (about half the price of external ones).

Additionally, it will be easier to badger your parents to buy you an external hard-disk, since it has many other uses other than to store your anime. Such as helping to store the family photos, vacation videos, etc... Whereas there is not much leeway in making an argumentive case for them to buy you a videogame unless you scored well in a test/exam and earned one as a reward.

Hardware has come a long way since the early beginnings of personal computers, and for the price I paid for my current computer (in Feburary, a total overhaul to replace my aging 8yr-old one), it would not have been sufficient to buy my old one. Indeed... if inflation was killing anything, it would have to be the price of software... The price of getting WinXP-Pro (retail version, not OEM) & WinOffice 2007-Student alone was enough to get me a second tower, minus a video-card.

And then there are the games... Good grief, I'm very picky about the games I choose to buy these days since they cost about S$60-S$70 now.

Cheers.
Old 2008-03-11, 11:29   Link #72
King Lycan
*IT Support

I know its so annoying im still using a nvida 7950 gtx2 whihc came out like 2 years ago ._. i even forgot that 9 seris came out
Old 2008-03-11, 14:46   Link #73
vorpal83

Buy... games...

What's happened to Singapore in the time I've been gone?
Old 2008-03-11, 15:02   Link #74
xris
Just call me Ojisan

How about we get back on-topic please.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 22:51   Link #75
Ray Huynh

This is bad I have been watching most videos there since its non laggy like veoh what should I do now?
Ray Huynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 06:48   Link #76
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Huynh View Post
This is bad I have been watching most videos there since its non laggy like veoh what should I do now?
Use BitTorrent, if you're not sure how it works (like I was) then just type in 'BitTorrent FAQ' into google or check the animesuki guide some users made. If you don't know any sites then PM me or anyone who might now some for whatever anime you like/want to watch and you're on your way.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 13:28   Link #77
vorpal83

yeah bt's great too, but streaming's awesome if you wanna just watch as it loads
Old 2008-03-13, 16:05   Link #78
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I don't understand what made this site so great. Even if the quality was better than YouTube there's no way it could be better than downloading the content directly. Anything that was posted to these sites had to exist in an offline format that was largely freely available (with the possible exception of exclusive content from content providers themselves). It's just a matter of finding the communities that are hosting this content.

I've always had a dislike for streaming of fansubs. What's so great about it? If you have the bandwidth to watch something like this uninterrupted then there's a good chance that you can get an episode even faster than I can (10-15 minutes). If BitTorrent isn't fast enough for you then learn to use IRC and visit the fansubbers directly. Don't tell me that the worse quality is worth it simply because within five seconds the video starts playing?

Why, I remember the days of downloading fansubs on dialup, when you were lucky if your connection didn't drop out and you could download an episode in 12 hours! *waves cane*
Old 2008-03-13, 16:31   Link #79
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
lol, well that was the great thing about it, that the quality was so good. Honestly I downloaded many episodes from stage 6 and I downloaded a few from BitTorrent (more so now obviously) and there is hardly any difference, if any. Even the streamed videos were amazing quality although not quite as good. The fact that the quality was a league above YouTube was one thing but the fact you could stream this quality for free was another.

Many people don't even know the principles of BitTorrent and Stage 6 offered a simple alternative. I only found out about how to use BitTorrent by looking at an FAQ, even then I had to do some port fowarding to get it to download at a reasonable speed, which admittedly can be very quick. Despite that it all seems a bit complicated compared to direct dowloads and high quality streams that stage 6 offered. So I think the main reason why stage 6 was so good was because of its ease of access, like Youtube except with the quality of BitTorrent downloads. What's bad about it?
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 17:19   Link #80
kayos
RETIRED

Also it allowed users and independent film makers to upload HD content without having to worry about damaging their movie quality.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote