AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-15, 13:27   Link #101
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I have nothing against Naruto but the reason why it's beaten down is because it's pretty similar to Dragonball Z, when compared with the rest of anime. Most anime series are 24-26 episodes long and then there's closure. Finishing a series elicits one of the more beautiful sensations in anime watching - there's a sadness that you won't get to continue the story, that it's over, and there's a happiness with the entire experience of it. With series like Naruto, DBZ, or Sailor Moon, it just drags on and on. I stopped watching Naruto around episode 120 because it began to feel like it was dragging, big time. Each episode offered nothing new to the story, and fight scenes were suddenly more or less DBZ-style powerups. Compared with the beginning scenes, which utilized cunning and trickery, it was a bore.

It's difficult to keep it fresh and interesting when it's so long. until there isn't enough support to make another show. The typical 26 episode series feels very elegant by comparison. I admit that I love it when a It's also similar to what many American television shows do, dragging on and on series I like goes beyond 26 episodes, but if all series were aspiring to be 200+ episodes in length I think anime would lose a lot of appeal to me.

I also thought of a disagreement point with the "convenience" of watching anime online. Quality aside, you have to be on the internet. I don't know about the rest of you but I've watched anime on my laptop during extremely long car rides when I was younger, and I've watched anime on airplanes plenty of times before. When the internet is out it's either videogames (rare for me these days), anime (a bit more common), or... go outside (the horror, I know). Watching it where I want, how I want - that is convenience. But given that anime is my major entertainment source (I don't watch TV and 300 was the last movie I saw, which broke a long streak of not seeing any movies) I probably do take it "more seriously" than most people. As seriously as you can take entertainment, anyway.
Much the same for me, anime has taken over most other sources of entertainment like videogames, movies & television and so on which I used to be into more. Not sure this is a good thing but I it's taken over for a reason, I find it more enjoyable then other forms of entertainment. It's fun to see what writers and animators can come up with and since there are so many anime, new and fresh ideas are nearly always portrayed. Although just a thought to say that it's good to get out regularly and do new things, whilst enjoying anime. It's easily possibly to do both.

On Naruto I would have to agree with you and SeedFreedom on most points, length can definatly be damaging to an anime/manga and Naruto has felt the effects of this a number of times, but I think Naruto has done really well considering this. Same with Bleach. I know some of you will scold and curse these two labelling them 'mainstream money machines' who are just running as long as there's money to be had, but both are there primarily to entertain a young audience, it's definatly done that and also inspired many older anime watchers. Bleach has been suprisingly great throughout and much more consistent in this sence compared to Naruto, it has had to be to compete as number one shounen. Not foregetting One Piece which I've heard is fantastic but only watching 20 episodes so far can't comment on how length has affected it (great so far). So to anyone who feels the need to bad mouth these anime simply because they are mainstream, just shut your mouth and rate it for what it is regardless of popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Just a quick thought on the Naruto points. I did and still enjoy Naruto. the length is a little annoying but its still a good show none the less. What i hate is when people only watch the english dubbed censored version, and one other series, say, bleach and think they are anime experts.

I personally only used stage6 for one series, but i was having trouble finding those videos anyways. What i didn't like was it's search function wasn't as good as say Youtube's or Veohs so i never really used it much. But still the quality was unsurpassed in the streaming world and i guess thats why they couldn't afford it.
I agree strongly with your first paragraph. Especially the part about English Dub.

The search function was fairly complictaed for Stage6 (if you were searching for specific episodes), it prooved almost as effective as the likes of youtube or Veoh if you knew how. I won't bother going into the details since it's closed down but it used specific channels which usually had all the episodes of specific anime ie. 'GTO channel' which had every episode of Great Teacher Onizuka. Also it had some users who were dedicated and uploaded many animes (some had all the episodes of about 10-20 different anime). But yh the search engine it had was poor.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 13:51   Link #102
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Does anyone know of any other good free hosting sites like Stage6? Excluding Veoh.
Old 2008-03-15, 13:53   Link #103
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
CrunchyRoll?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 13:58   Link #104
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

No. Crunchyroll is too low quality. I might as well use YouTube.
Old 2008-03-15, 14:22   Link #105
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
No. Crunchyroll is too low quality. I might as well use YouTube.
Low quality how? Its default is low quality, but there's a high quality and high definition option. If you're looking for something similar to Stage6, then no, there's nothing. If there is, then it would've been closed by now, no?
Old 2008-03-15, 18:08   Link #106
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The big reason there's no replacement for Stage6 is due to bandwidth concerns and licensing concerns. Stage6 didn't have excellent quality because its codec was revolutionary - it was using the DivX codec, an "older generation" codec at this point. A new site could spring up utilizing the H.264 codec quite easily. When you watch movie trailers the quality is quite nice because that's how they're doing it.

The problem is that H.264 doesn't have a designated player, and it was put together by various companies. The most prominent player for H.264 content (particularly on the web) is Quicktime. Stage6 worked nicely because DivX, the company behind both the codec and the player (as well as the web player) were all under one roof.
Old 2008-03-15, 18:12   Link #107
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Well Crunchyroll has H.264 quality videos if I recall correctly...at least for the one anime I've used it for.
Old 2008-03-15, 18:17   Link #108
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Doesn't cruncyroll make you pay to get good quality? I heard they drew a lot of unwanted attention from fansubbers for that. If so, no thanks.
Old 2008-03-15, 18:17   Link #109
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I remember hitting a video on Crunchyroll once. I didn't watch all of it (just verified that it was the real deal) but the quality was impressive compared with Youtube. They don't say what their compression type is, but they do use Flash-based players (which doesn't mean much, really).
Old 2008-03-15, 18:22   Link #110
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Well Crunchyroll has H.264 quality videos if I recall correctly...at least for the one anime I've used it for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Doesn't cruncyroll make you pay to get good quality? I heard they drew a lot of unwanted attention from fansubbers for that. If so, no thanks.
Well, I just went and check the latest of Shakugan no Shana II there, there was a "H.264 HI.DEF" button there so I clicked on it. I didn't have to pay anything. As for the quality, it wasn't very good when compare to the download one, but still good.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2008-03-15 at 18:36.
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 11:08   Link #111
hcl4

It seems crunchyroll is now ad-free and HQ videos are now viewable for everyone. This just happened one day ago too. Apparently they are using bittorent to cover the bandwidth cost.
Old 2008-03-16, 16:15   Link #112
pac2is
Shinsengumi captain

Hmmm crunchyroll looks pretty good (compared to veoh and youtube crap) But you cant view the vids in full screen Too bad
pac2is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 05:24   Link #113
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Low quality how? Its default is low quality, but there's a high quality and high definition option. If you're looking for something similar to Stage6, then no, there's nothing. If there is, then it would've been closed by now, no?
Not really. I've used both of those and hi-def is okay, but the high quality version is not much better. DivX or good avi is really the best way to watch shows/movies.