AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-27, 17:24   Link #121
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantoe View Post
Just because you dont get votes doesnt mean you are bad, just that the others are better.
Better? This is art - everything here is subjective. If we took this contest to a totally different forum with totally different people, the results would likely be very different. It was mentioned above by kayos that people have different preferences, and it's true. Just think of all the great artists. How many of them had their works appreciated? Practically none - they died poor, and yet now they're the biggest names in art.

If you are content with your work, that's what counts. I appreciated every single signature in last month's contest in their own ways, and I loved seeing the differences in style. If you asked me to vote on those signatures again in a few months, I'd probably vote differently. Our opinions are rather fickle.

I've seen some styles used that I like quite a bit, but I've never used them and/or don't know how to perform them. In making them your own, you alter the style somewhat and boost your artistic arsenal. Perhaps that's the best aspect of competitions: you see what everyone else brings to the table, and you pick up some of them yourself. We all improve together.

To the people feeling low on confidence, don't you want to see what everyone else will think of your work? If you entered four of five of these contests and consistently received 0-2 votes, maybe that defeatist attitude would be warranted. Otherwise, keep your chin up. If you think your signature can't compete, then start a new one from scratch. Heck, you have plenty of time - start three new ones. If you saw a signature that made you wet your pants, examine it, learn from it, and emulate it. Chances are that you'll make up something totally new and amazing in the process, and you can use that in your future signatures and/or modify your current entry with it. If all of your entries are looking the same, try something new. Change the music you're listening to while working, change the tools you use, change the workflow that you normally employ while making signatures. Improvement doesn't happen over night, but it happens when you work at it. Cheer up and cheer on!
Old 2008-02-27, 17:40   Link #122
Avantoe
In Memories
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Better? This is art - everything here is subjective.
Fair enough ill take back my words on that one

Avantoe's corner | My Anime List | Sig by Malin |
Old 2008-02-27, 18:04   Link #123
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

Well, here's my current submission. But I'm going to be trying a few different signatures so it may change.

Old 2008-02-27, 18:10   Link #124
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Since we are on the topic of extraction. There's no wrong way to do it, there's just slower and less effecient ways to do it and faster and better ways to do it and in b/t ways.

For me it's the pen tool mixed with the polygon lasso, the background eraser/magic wand and most important, the history brush and smudge tool. Since I do lots of reconstruction on my extractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Better? This is art - everything here is subjective. If we took this contest to a totally different forum with totally different people, the results would likely be very different. It was mentioned above by kayos that people have different preferences, and it's true. Just think of all the great artists. How many of them had their works appreciated? Practically none - they died poor, and yet now they're the biggest names in art.

If you are content with your work, that's what counts. I appreciated every single signature in last month's contest in their own ways, and I loved seeing the differences in style. If you asked me to vote on those signatures again in a few months, I'd probably vote differently. Our opinions are rather fickle.

I've seen some styles used that I like quite a bit, but I've never used them and/or don't know how to perform them. In making them your own, you alter the style somewhat and boost your artistic arsenal. Perhaps that's the best aspect of competitions: you see what everyone else brings to the table, and you pick up some of them yourself. We all improve together.

To the people feeling low on confidence, don't you want to see what everyone else will think of your work? If you entered four of five of these contests and consistently received 0-2 votes, maybe that defeatist attitude would be warranted. Otherwise, keep your chin up. If you think your signature can't compete, then start a new one from scratch. Heck, you have plenty of time - start three new ones. If you saw a signature that made you wet your pants, examine it, learn from it, and emulate it. Chances are that you'll make up something totally new and amazing in the process, and you can use that in your future signatures and/or modify your current entry with it. If all of your entries are looking the same, try something new. Change the music you're listening to while working, change the tools you use, change the workflow that you normally employ while making signatures. Improvement doesn't happen over night, but it happens when you work at it. Cheer up and cheer on!
I did find that there was a single or two type of signature artwork/style that people really acclaimed for creativity, which i find sorta linear in thinking.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-02-27, 18:21   Link #125
Runa
Fallen Angel
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Runa Send a message via Yahoo to Runa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantoe
You want to know something funny? It's the exact same render I was working on as well Oh dear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
bleh, you used the same render i was going to use and it looks awsome!
well, it's FIFO here... First In First Out^^,though i wanna say it like that. it doesn't matter anyway if some artist using the same render like the other... what we see here is how or in what way those sigs was created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
In making them your own, you alter the style somewhat and boost your artistic arsenal.
you're right... and that's what i'm doing almost all the time, you'll realize it when you come to my gallery.... it has many different kind of style i'm trying to express into my works
Old 2008-02-27, 18:27   Link #126
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Great discussion guys, good points all around.

Ledgem is correct, this is essentially an art contest. We aren't judging on who can smudge better, or who knows how to use Gaussian blur the best, we're judging which sig looks the best. It's going to be a personal decision.

In the last contest, I voted for Marina and Rhyel. Marina got my vote because the pose was sexy, I'm a sucker for a beautiful back...and curves. Rhyel got my vote because I thought it was not only ecchi, but hilarious.

In both cases I judged based on the theme and how the image appealed to me. It was a tough decision, and there were arguably sigs that were *made* better, but they didn't appeal to me.

That's why I'm not worried about names or anonymous entries or anything like that. In the end a technically great sig may not have the appeal of something not as technical, but more creative/artistic. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, a large part of the fun is having a vision and seeing it through, and then stepping back and seeing the results of the labor. Often it's nothing close to what I had in mind when I started, but that's the creative process at work, I suppose.

So don't be discouraged. I try to keep from commenting too much on official and potential SOTM entries, but in this case I'll make an exception. So far, all of the sigs are great, but like any work of art, I feel there is room for improvement. However, what *I* think should be different and what the *maker* wants are two different things. So all I can really comment on is technical matters, and maybe a small suggestion or two, to avoid sounding biased.

You'll notice I haven't started compiling a list of entries yet. This is because, even with the flurry of submissions, quite a few have already changed or have been scrapped for different entries entirely. Sometime during the week I'll outline a list though.

I do ask that competitors try to keep their entries organized. It makes it easier for me to keep track of who is entering and what the entry is.
Old 2008-02-27, 18:51   Link #127
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

I was so tempted to join this but the lack of good renders is not helping at all, *pulling hair out* so I want to ask can I use the renders Sephi used for his examples or can anybody be nice enough to find me one >_<

<-Going bald

^ Touhoues for president. ^
Chinese Saimoe 08 Congradulations to C.C. and Shana for winning Chinese Saimoe 08
Old 2008-02-27, 19:30   Link #128
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Made a slight update to my entry. Since I've just started back up on this stuff again...did a little practice run. Also, having this theme at hand I went with it. What do you people think?

Last edited by reflection; 2008-02-27 at 22:27.
Old 2008-02-27, 19:56   Link #129
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bigdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
I was so tempted to join this but the lack of good renders is not helping at all, *pulling hair out* so I want to ask can I use the renders Sephi used for his examples or can anybody be nice enough to find me one >_<

<-Going bald
Ooooo let me try *pulls out hair* XD

is it that hard? o.o?

here are some.
Spoiler for renders:

well those are some. o.o

Old 2008-02-27, 21:08   Link #130
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
Ooooo let me try *pulls out hair* XD

is it that hard? o.o?

here are some.
Spoiler for renders:

well those are some. o.o
Thanks!
I am off to my lab now!

^ Touhoues for president. ^
Chinese Saimoe 08 Congradulations to C.C. and Shana for winning Chinese Saimoe 08
Old 2008-02-27, 21:39   Link #131
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

Pfftt...who needs to render. It's all about stocks baby.

Anyways I made another entry and I can't decided which one I like better.

First Entry:

New Entry:
Old 2008-02-27, 21:45   Link #132
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearShare View Post

First Entry:

New Entry:
Not only do I like the 2nd one better, but Shana in the first one is kinda over-sharpened (her pieces of hair by the face).
Anyways, good work on both of them ^_^

My Anime List

ISML
Old 2008-02-27, 21:49   Link #133
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

I agree with Marina. They're both very well done but I prefer the second signature. I think that you should try to add something to the bright spot in the top right corner to make it more interesting. That's just my opinion.
Old 2008-02-27, 21:50   Link #134
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post

<-Going bald
You don't need to find a good render ^^. You can always extract one out for your own use, sorta like what I did for this one here.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-02-27, 21:50   Link #135
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

2nd one it is then.
Old 2008-02-27, 21:52   Link #136
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:

First Entry:

New Entry:
I think the border is really thick. What is it, 10-12 pixels big? I would say somethign that's not a odd number since if your sig isnt odd in resolution it won't fit correctly unless your sig is of an uneven shape like 433x157 or something like that. I think a 4-8 pixels wide border would be better.

Old 2008-02-27, 22:11   Link #137
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I think the border is really thick. What is it, 10-12 pixels big? I would say somethign that's not a odd number since if your sig isnt odd in resolution it won't fit correctly unless your sig is of an uneven shape like 433x157 or something like that. I think a 4-8 pixels wide border would be better.
Then I don't need to change anything because it's 7px.

Last edited by BearShare; 2008-02-27 at 22:26.
Old 2008-02-27, 22:24   Link #138
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Quote:
New Entry:
The natural pose of the girl in the stock is very suitable adding great depth of field to the sig. At first it looked like that was what you did because of the blur on the left, but looking closer it's actually a background and not a foreground? I like the (vine-like?) effect around the forearm/hand area.
Old 2008-02-27, 22:25   Link #139
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflection View Post
The natural pose of the girl in the stock is very suitable adding great depth of field to the sig. At first it looked like that was what you did because of the blur on the left, but looking closer it's actually a background and not a foreground?
See for yourself.
Old 2008-02-27, 22:30   Link #140
nammerboi

EDIT..

@Bearshare- The face on ur sig is a bit blurry, maybe sharpen around that area a bit for depth.

Last edited by nammerboi; 2008-02-27 at 23:32.
Closed Thread

Tags
sotm