AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-01, 18:33   Link #1
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Emotional anime suitible for a seven-year-old

...Yeah. I wanna get my little sister in to anime!! But I can't think of one that's suitible. Elfen Lied and Monster are definately out of the question. I was going to show Haibane Renmei but I think the end is a bit rough... and Mushishi... is very hard to understand and there are a few freaky scenes. Soo can anyone suggest one that IS suitible, but not as lame kiddish as Pokemon or something? I'm sure you'll come up with something... you're all geniuses.

Oh yes and emotion is an important factor.
Old 2008-03-01, 18:41   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

Full Moon wo Sagashite
Kaleido Star
Card Captor Sakura
Take a look at those.
Old 2008-03-01, 18:41   Link #3
Copycatken

I think that Shugo Chara may be a good choice. It's an anime that's upbeat and not violent at all. Since it's aimed at young girls (I think), your sister should enjoy it .
Old 2008-03-01, 18:43   Link #4
migus_parvus

Any of the World Masterpiece Theater Anime (see Princess Sarah, Remy, etc.) Stuff is classic, clean, emotional and they do tackle serious topics.

Give her some of Miyazaki's works, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.

you can also try Daa Daa Daa. it's for kids and also a comedy but has a lot of family life and friendship drama dynamic. Its often emotional but even as a 20+ year old i can still watch and laugh at it.

Last edited by migus_parvus; 2008-03-01 at 19:08.
Old 2008-03-01, 18:53   Link #5
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycatken View Post
I think that Shugo Chara may be a good choice. It's an anime that's upbeat and not violent at all. Since it's aimed at young girls (I think), your sister should enjoy it .
yes young girls and 17 year old boys i second it

Aishiteruze Baby I would recommend it's cute and my cute little 9 year old cousin loves it and it's also got an emotional factor
Old 2008-03-01, 18:58   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd start with something like Angelic Layer or CardCaptor Sakura or a movie like Spirited Away. Another excellent, though darker, series for young girls is the lovely Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu. It's was designed for younger viewers using very short episodes (~10 min each) and a quick story rehash at the beginning of each one. That format drove me crazy watching it as an adult, but the story itself is quite rich and beautifully animated.

Dennou Coil might be another option; the main characters are all about ten years old. The story might not hold a seven-year-old's attention though, particularly in the latter part when it gets darker and more complex.

You might also consider Seirei no Moribito, which began as a children's novel, I believe. Again she might find the plot a bit baffling at times, but I bet she'll like the young prince and the other children in the show. Not to mention she gets to watch a terrific female role model, Balsa the bodyguard.
Old 2008-03-01, 20:27   Link #7
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

3rd Cardcaptor Sakura.

Also to add Bamboo Blade - It's about kendo and I think it's exciting, funny, and cute but if you have any doubt, check it first.

<--- My avatar right now is from the series.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-03-01, 20:54   Link #8
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

The first anime that I ever showed my little sister was Haruhi Suzumiya and she really enjoyed it. She also enjoyed watching Lucky Star.
Old 2008-03-01, 22:02   Link #9
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
WOAH fast replies!! O_O Thanks everyone!!
Old 2008-03-01, 22:31   Link #10
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'll fourth Cardcaptor Sakura because it's really one of the only anime with a suitable emotional theme for that age group.

I would also recommend Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-03-02 at 00:26.
Old 2008-03-01, 22:52   Link #11
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈΈ is the Best !!

Send a message via MSN to The Chaos
I Second Full Moon wo Sagashite
Old 2008-03-01, 22:53   Link #12
Phantasmagoria
†Mizore Shirayuki†
*Author

2nd, Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu (KOTOKO: Hey DuDiDuWa, let's sing in the sky, lalalalala~), 5th Cardcaptor Sakura and suggest Nanatsuiro Drops (Kaori Utatsuki:Shining Stars Bless~)

Cute anime The 3 of them, really cute

Rosario + Vampire[Mizore].Spice and Wolf[Horo].
Hayate no Gotoku![Hinagiku].Hayate no Gotoku![Maria]
Old 2008-03-01, 23:12   Link #13
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Actually, I second Nanatsuiro Drops.
Old 2008-03-01, 23:25   Link #14
oompa loompa

fifth to cardcaptor sakura

EDIT:

a second to gakuen alice

(kyuusais reccomendation ) - haha i kinda enjoyed it too. its good fun

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2008-03-02 at 01:59.
Old 2008-03-01, 23:51   Link #15
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I'm going with the still-airing Shugo Chara. Very excellent shoujo and loads of fun.
Old 2008-03-02, 00:14   Link #16
kayos
RETIRED

Studio Ghibli animations are great for children. (... ok, some)

Try:

1. My Neighbor Totoro
2. Kiki's Delivery Sevice
3. Spirited Away
Old 2008-03-02, 00:15   Link #17
Vagrant0

Aria. Although it might be followed by requests to visit Italy. It's a good series which isn't over-simplified, but still doesn't have any content that anyone would object to. But don't think it's dubbed, so despite the fact of how good a series it is, it might not go over well if there is opposition to reading.

I will also speak against Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. The animation style is a bit dated, is an OVA, and may at times be a bit more violent than you would like. It is however dubbed IIRC, and may be easier to find for rent in a video store.

There are plenty of anime out there which aren't too questionable, so I guess the real issue is what her current interests are, and if she would prefer subs to dubs(one which many people can feel strongly about). You could certainly start with some dubbed series from the local library, or a video store, then transition to subs at a later date. Kinda hard to say really... There are some kids who can read good (I'm intentionally using bad grammar), and then there are some kids who have trouble reading, and who would have difficulty understanding what is going on. Your best bet might be to just try to use what you have available to you, and prescreen anything you think might be questionable.
Old 2008-03-02, 00:25   Link #18
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Nausicaa is violent? I don't think so. I was going for the availability of dubbed version, because I don't really think 7 year olds will have a great attention span having to read everything... Animation shouldn't matter as long as the story is good, which in this case, it is. It's no more violent than many of the TV-Y7 shows.

Actually make sure to get the dubbed version for Cardcaptor Sakura called Cardcaptors. This will probably be the only time in my life that I will recommend it. I'm serious here. I don't want to be responsible if your little sister ask about same-sex relationships and what a sister complex is.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-03-02 at 02:24.
Old 2008-03-02, 00:57   Link #19
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Gakuen Alice (aka "Alice Academy").

My little sister adores the show, and I actually enjoyed it, myself.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-03-02, 01:18   Link #20
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

Sixth Card Captor Sakura

Tags
anime for children, children