AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-01, 18:48   Link #1
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Japanese Govt Panel Proposes Internet Content Controls

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/02/...wireless28.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by International Herald Tribune
TOKYO: A Japanese government panel is proposing to govern "influential, widely read news-related sites as newspapers and broadcasting are now regulated."

The government is also seeking to rein in some of the more unsavory aspects of the Internet, leaving in its wake, critics say, the censoring hand of government interference.

The panel, set up by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, said Internet service providers (ISPs) should be answerable for breaches of vaguer "minimum regulations" to guard against "illegal and harmful content."
The article describes how Japan's Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), which has governed Japan for most of the past half-century, already regulates the mainstream press and media in Japan. The Internet poses a new challenge to this cozy relationship as it has given voice to a wider range of opinions than the LDP would like to see expressed. So they are proposing to extend the existing system of regulation to cover Internet Service Providers.

While the Liberal Democratic government doesn't expect to pass this before 2010, the article details the content filtering already being applied to cell phones. Phones registered to people under 18 are now automatically filtered for content unless a parent or guardian requests that the filter be disabled. The previous policy of requiring parents to "opt in" and request filtering has been replaced with one requiring parents to opt out. ("Hi, I'm calling to ask that you let my daughter see all that smutty stuff you've been filtering on her phone." Next day someone's asking the neighbors about your qualifications as a parent.)

Beyond filtering for children, the article also suggested that filtering extends to all DoCoMo subscribers where "categories like 'religion' and 'political activity/party' are filtered by the software."

Apparently neither these practices, nor the proposed new law, have raised much debate among the Japanese public.

I don't really see how you can impose these sorts of controls when the information can be located on off-shore servers. If the government did clamp down, and enough demand existed for alternative viewpoints, it's hard to imagine that sites wouldn't spring up to offer that material outside the jurisdiction of the Japanese government. I could see ways of making life difficult for these people (like leaning on potential advertisers), but I can't really see a "Great Firewall of Japan" in that country's future. Or am I just a dreamy Western optimist?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-03-03 at 19:15. Reason: grammar
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 19:17   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The current administration is just playing more of their long-time hobby version of "fascist-lite" ... its more concerning that its the NEWS feeds they mentioned first. Much more worrisome than "think of the children".

Its like both Japan and France weren't paying attention during the Bushco administration (or they drank the koolaid as well).

But once again... the "Japanese Public" is initially showing their "what is there to be done?" fatalist side. We'll see if the below-40 class puts up with this nonsense.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 19:39   Link #3
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
In this case, it's not so much that they're talking about keeping it off of local servers as it is filtering it en route.

China and Australia have given them some ideas, apparently. I imagine implementation would be akin to the US's "You'd better be prepared to do this if we demand it" CALEA plan.

The right-wing Japanese politicians never cease to amaze me with how openly hostile they are to liberty and new/outside ideas.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 19:46   Link #4
Amray

Clever but at the same time you can see how strict the Japanese are getting, although it is somewhat understandable. They must have put a lot of thought into it to do this.

Would International servers actually be able to be accessed some way or other afterwards or not?
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 19:54   Link #5
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Apparently neither these practices, nor the proposed new law, have raised much debate among the Japanese public.
It sort of did. There's a 19 minute video about this whole law thing posted on Nico and it's gotten about 126k view since it was posted on the 24th.
Old 2008-03-01, 19:55   Link #6
gabbytay
Banned

sorry for my language
Why must history repeat itself?
Fthis sh8t i hate this kind of things that the "internet" is a ruining public welfare and it "the goverment" bulsh8t . I hope this crap doesn't get approve cuz i hate people that invades my privacy.

"Liberal Democratic Party" its quite ironic that they have democratic in their party's name. These people are taking out our rights one by one and they need to be biached slapped.
gabbytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 21:32   Link #7
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Quote:
Originally Posted by International Herald Tribune
for promoting voluntary action by ISP and others as a means of dealing with illegal and harmful material.
Haha, very funny voluntary action. Better yet, "promoting" it.

It seems like they are trying to trying to become even stricter, since apparently the article said something about having media control ever since the 1950's, they are just basically adding on since a new media has since arrived.

Although I never realized how strict the Gov't in Japan was until this article, excuse my ignorance.

I know it's obligatory to use words like "promote" and "encourage" and nicer less manipulative words, but I still don't see why this has been developed in society as now we think "Oh they're just trying to hide it, although they are doing a horrible job".

I can't believe people aren't resisting that much, maybe it's because they are used to the restrictions, even at this day and age .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbytay
These people are taking out our rights one by one and they need to be biached slapped.
Hey, who cares as long as you get yours, right?
Thentus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 22:55   Link #8
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thentus View Post
I can't believe people aren't resisting that much, maybe it's because they are used to the restrictions, even at this day and age .
If this happened to us tomorrow, what would you do about it?
Old 2008-03-01, 23:11   Link #9
Thentus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
If this happened to us tomorrow, what would you do about it?
Get pissed off and start complaining while not benefitting anybody like any other teenager? We didn't have Gov't media control since the 1950's though.
Old 2008-03-01, 23:20   Link #10
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Wow, I knew the government controlled a lot of things, but this is harsh. Sounds like they are trying to go NK or PRC. Makes me glad to live where I am not restricted, as many of us do.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 05:16   Link #11
Dxon
Inactive user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
Clever but at the same time you can see how strict the Japanese are getting, although it is somewhat understandable. They must have put a lot of thought into it to do this.

Would International servers actually be able to be accessed some way or other afterwards or not?
How strict are getting?? Ts.. They are strict for all long already. (correct sentence??:Heh But I hate that part of Japan Society.
Government trying control peoples lives.
Putting censorship on the "stuff" (Bugs me the most. )
And much more I forgot.
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 05:55   Link #12
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
I do not think such regulation will work effectively, nor will be welcomed by voters.

At any rate, normal Japanese people love so much unregulated free speech that sometimes it cause serious collisions with other jurisdictions; speeches of pro-Nazi, anti-Semitism, xenophobia, anti-minorities and blasphemous expressions are (notoriously) tolerated in the Japanese infosphere. Human Rights Protection Bill, which would enable the authority to restrict freedom of expression, could not pass the Diet.

Japanese Government signed at the Cybercrime Convention in 2001, but even now it cannot make the Diet ratify the Convention. (See the States list. By the way, I was surprised to know it has been already in force in the US!) It's because the implementation is impossible under Japanese law today; inter alia, the Art.9 and 10 presuppose the existence of some censorship-like system, which certainly will fail in Japan.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 10:38   Link #13
Kristen
*Author

I cannot see this act passing. I am for some sort of restrictions on the internet, but a full out censorship has no real chance of passing.
Old 2008-03-03, 15:14   Link #14
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
At any rate, normal Japanese people love so much unregulated free speech that sometimes it cause serious collisions with other jurisdictions; speeches of pro-Nazi, anti-Semitism, xenophobia, anti-minorities and blasphemous expressions are (notoriously) tolerated in the Japanese infosphere. Human Rights Protection Bill, which would enable the authority to restrict freedom of expression, could not pass the Diet.
From what I've heard the Japanese may be open to people speaking on the topics that you mentioned, but they are extremely closed when it comes to saying anything that would be considered anti-Japan.
Old 2008-03-03, 18:34   Link #15
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
From what I've heard the Japanese may be open to people speaking on the topics that you mentioned, but they are extremely closed when it comes to saying anything that would be considered anti-Japan.
You mean, Japan is a normal country after all?

I know practically nothing about Japanese domestic politics but I do know a bit about the workings of the press, and this IHT acticle is way too vague that I would pass judgement here. Until proven wrong, I don't believe that the Japanese government can simply pass a law banning the mention of religion and politics from the Internet and get away with it as they seem to insinuate there.
Old 2008-03-03, 19:10   Link #16
Thentus

Quote:
considered anti-Japan.
Of course, considered by a group of people clearly biased. They would hear nothing of it because they feel they are doing the people a favor. Not very progressive. OH WAIT! I see what's happening! The Government is trying to make the people more like them, ignorant.

Excuse me for not noticing sooner .
Old 2008-03-03, 20:28   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its not uncommon for a government to try and equate criticism of the government or large corporate ineptitude/"bad actions" with criticism of the *country* -- and then want to control the sources of such criticism.
Japan's elderly political bunch is just very used to having total control over the message. Internet tubes make them nervous. We'll see how well the opposition parties counter this nonsense.

I'll be more willing to cut the ruling party some slack once they realize they need to cut the feet out from under their extremist fringe right-wing and acknowledge the history of the Pacific Rim so their neighbors will take them more seriously.

With this kind of discussion, you can no longer say "the Japanese people think...." --- one has to be specific about WHICH factions within Japan because there are wildly different opinions about issues like the OP's subject (just like many other countries).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 21:30   Link #18
faustianideals
Disabled By Request

Anonymous raids Japan, next on Fox News!

GUNDAMU ACTIVATE!
faustianideals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 21:58   Link #19
gabbytay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustianideals View Post
Anonymous raids Japan, next on Fox News!

GUNDAMU ACTIVATE!
Damn you out typed me
If this was accepted then anon will fight to preserve freedom of speach and of course for lulz.
Fox sounds kind of funny if you repeat it 10 time
gabbytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 21:59   Link #20
faustianideals
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbytay View Post
Damn you out typed me
If this was accepted then anon will fight to preserve freedom of speach and of course for lulz.
Fox sounds kind of funny if you repeat it 10 time
Five women were shot dead in my area about two weeks ago. The shooter/robber hasn't been found yet, and so this Fox News reporter came into my work asking if he could see any footage from the weekend because police had suspected he may have gone to a nearby church and gone down the road in front of my store.

So I said, "um, what makes you think he came around here?"
"Well, the Churchgoers said they saw a stocky back man there"
And then of course, I go for his throat, "I see, because stocky black men rarely go to church!".
And then he froze up, I told him we weren't allowed to speak to media and gave him our manager's number.

Besides, anyways, here is Fox 10 times. FOX FOX FOX FOX FAUX FOX FOX FAUX FOX FOX
faustianideals is offline   Reply With Quote