AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-31, 20:02   Link #7021
CanadaAotS
Manly Picnic

Send a message via MSN to CanadaAotS Send a message via Skype™ to CanadaAotS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
Actually, for some people, that might be a turn-on, like a goad to keep trying harder, even during. *cough* To a guy like Haruki, it might be an inspiration to have someone goading him to do his utmost best. Not to mention, he might feel subtly discomfited if Kyonko suddenly did a 180, rather than stay the girl he fell for.
This h-doujin is focusing on Kyon x Kyonko. In fact, Haruki only has like, 2 scenes. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceflow View Post
Hmm.. Ok then. I'll bow to hilarious sex. The reader is gonna go *does the weighing scale hand motion* faplaughfaplaughfaplaugh...
Some of my favourite h-doujins are of the faplaugh variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceflow View Post
I'm at the ripe old age of 22.

I grew up on that stuff and I can still sing Under the Sea.
... So can I. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
RmX needs a shopped animated version of Kyon's facepalm using either Haruki or Kyonko.
I'm on it. I just need to find something to replace my expired "Animation Shop" ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
You're doing alright so far.

Something tells me this jinxed it.
The CRACK isn't too bad, dango hasn't appeared yet

Btw, it seems consensus was reached, but I'm putting a vote up for the Snow White / Frog Prince deal.
Also, dkellis' excerpt there was spot on. Can probably be used as is with just a bit of editing.

JDGBOLT: I'll see if I can come up with those avatars. Any specific size?

Almost official Suzumiya Haruhi no Seitenkan IRC channel - #kyonko on irc.rizon.net
CanadaAotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 20:04   Link #7022
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaAotS View Post
This h-doujin is focusing on Kyon x Kyonko. In fact, Haruki only has like, 2 scenes. lol.

Some of my favourite h-doujins are of the faplaugh variety

... So can I. lol.

I'm on it. I just need to find something to replace my expired "Animation Shop" ...

The CRACK isn't too bad, dango hasn't appeared yet

Btw, it seems consensus was reached, but I'm putting a vote up for the Snow White / Frog Prince deal.
Also, dkellis' excerpt there was spot on. Can probably be used as is with just a bit of editing.

Faplaughs are a lot more entertaining than vanilla fap.

Also, why aren't we doing Beauty and the Beast again? The idea of Haruki embracing normality, even if only a little, seems to fit in the theme of a redeeming kiss. You guys probably have a good reason, but I'm only skimming the backlog, and work's lobbed my attention span in half. ;_;
kaura117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 20:08   Link #7023
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discreet View Post
Slow editor away!

Chap 4 done, changes in bold, notes underlined.

Spoiler:
Unfortunately, I think you're wrong.

See, first off, I really wish all of you people would stop giving Haruki back Haruhi's dialogue and tone... It's something I got rid of on purpose. Haruki, to me, feels more laid back, hence the dismissive tone he constantly has.

For "Good grief", it's my personal translation of "yare yare". The original BT translators and a.f.k. used "Oh boy", which only works in some situations but not others. Same goes for "my, my" in the Vol.9 translations. "Good grief" works well because it can be used in all the situations he uses "yare yare" in.

The Yuuki thing? I disagree. I think it's something she would talk about, given the nature of their quest for that day, and that she doesn't know Yuuki well and doesn't really believe it. Why does this make her a "loose-lipped bitch"?

No one else had this problem except you.

Moving on, the "Kyon-nee-chan" thing... that's to better illustrate the relationship they have. Mitsuuru is her ideal brother, that's the point. Plus, it shows how Mitsuuru kinda thinks of her.

Everyone else seemed to like this except dkellis, so...

So, please, stop calling the stuff I do "STUPID" and "WRONG", kay?
Old 2008-03-31, 20:10   Link #7024
Discreet
The Fascist

After reading dkellis' interpretation, I think the Snow Queen and Frog Prince is much more awesome.

Although I'd probably take out that moment of unnecessary snark of cynicism in such an unrealistic and out-of-this-world moment...
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 20:11   Link #7025
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
After reading dkellis' interpretation, I think the Snow Queen and Frog Prince is much more awesome.

Although I'd probably take out that moment of unnecessary snark of cynicism in such an unrealistic and out-of-this-world moment...
Snark is what Kyon-chan is. Everyone always forgets the snark!
Old 2008-03-31, 20:12   Link #7026
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

See, first off, I really wish all of you people would stop giving Haruki back Haruhi's dialogue and tone... It's something I got rid of on purpose. Haruki, to me, feels more laid back, hence the dismissive tone he constantly has.

For "Good grief", it's my personal translation of "yare yare". The original BT translators and a.f.k. used "Oh boy", which only works in some situations but not others. Same goes for "my, my" in the Vol.9 translations. "Good grief" works well because it can be used in all the situations he uses "yare yare" in.

The Yuuki thing? I disagree. I think it's something she would talk about, given the nature of their quest for that day, and that she doesn't know Yuuki well and doesn't really believe it. Why does this make her a "loose-lipped bitch"?

Moving on, the "Kyon-nee-chan" thing... that's to better illustrate the relationship they have. Mitsuuru is her ideal brother, that's the point. Plus, it shows how Mitsuuru kinda thinks of her.

...Kaisos, the group's interpretation... exactly how many pages have we had, discussing what shounen animes might have influenced Haruki? "Laid back?" No... no, that doesn't work. There should definitely be a level of intensity there.

However, everything else mentioned, I have no disagreements with.
Old 2008-03-31, 20:18   Link #7027
CanadaAotS
Manly Picnic

I agree with Discreet about not getting too snarky near the end of volume 1.
Kyon didn't do too much thinking as he kissed Haruhi. He just closed his eyes and did it, knowing that he was betting everything on it.

For some reason I'm feeling a bit of Discreet's fascism when it comes to this scene... I loved it too much in the original novels

Almost official Suzumiya Haruhi no Seitenkan IRC channel - #kyonko on irc.rizon.net
Old 2008-03-31, 20:19   Link #7028
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaura117 View Post
...Kaisos, the group's interpretation... exactly how many pages have we had, discussing what shounen animes might have influenced Haruki? "Laid back?" No... no, that doesn't work. There should definitely be a level of intensity there.

However, everything else mentioned, I have no disagreements with.
MORE laid back... Sorry, I kind of screwed up what I was trying to say there.

Basically, he's totally dismissive of everything, usually just waves things aside with "Eh" or "Bah", except when angry-mode or passion-mode. Hence why I only have him yell about important things.

Quote:
I agree with Discreet about not getting too snarky near the end of volume 1.
Kyon didn't do too much thinking as he kissed Haruhi. He just closed his eyes and did it, knowing that he was betting everything on it.
I think Kyon-chan would think about it a bit more, being a girl.
Old 2008-03-31, 20:25   Link #7029
Discreet
The Fascist

Quote:

Oh, I'm just being over dramatic.

I'm not actually trying to keep Haruki's tone the same as Haruhi's, I didn't reference the original at all and I'm not sure which part you're talking about exactly, but I do like the sound of the original novels and I don't know why we should change parts that seem to work just fine. Not saying we should keep the entire tone of it, but I certainly don't think it's a bad thing.

As for "good grief..." Well damn, we need to get a standard translation for that then. I can totally get it if it's "yare yare" it's what I've always heard, myself, but I didn't really know that it meant good grief, or my my, or whatever.

More than anything, the Yuuki bit is unnecessary. And I'm totally being fascist when I say this, but in the original novel even though Kyon thought that Yuki was a total whackjob, he was still spineless/respectful enough to not want to mention it at all. At that point in the story he thinks Yuki is totally crazy, but he doesn't tell anyone because 1. He sees no reason to 2. It'd be talking about something weird 3. Yuki had taken Kyon into private, invited him to her home and told him secretly and specifically her "true identity." 4. He's still totally spineless.

I know we're changing Kyon a lot from his original, but changing his character like that... I can't idly stand by.

And finally... Kyon-nee-chan sounds dumb...

And I have no real better reason than that.
Old 2008-03-31, 20:26   Link #7030
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

I can't believe I just spent the last few hours going through this thread.

My brain hurts. You people are amazing. @_@
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 20:29   Link #7031
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:

I'm not actually trying to keep Haruki's tone the same as Haruhi's, I didn't reference the original at all and I'm not sure which part you're talking about exactly, but I do like the sound of the original novels and I don't know why we should change parts that seem to work just fine. Not saying we should keep the entire tone of it, but I certainly don't think it's a bad thing.

As for "good grief..." Well damn, we need to get a standard translation for that then. I can totally get it if it's "yare yare" it's what I've always heard, myself, but I didn't really know that it meant good grief, or my my, or whatever.

More than anything, the Yuuki bit is unnecessary. And I'm totally being fascist when I say this, but in the original novel even though Kyon thought that Yuki was a total whackjob, he was still spineless/respectful enough to not want to mention it at all. At that point in the story he thinks Yuki is totally crazy, but he doesn't tell anyone because 1. He sees no reason to 2. It'd be talking about something weird 3. Yuki had taken Kyon into private, invited him to her home and told him secretly and specifically her "true identity." 4. He's still totally spineless.

I know we're changing Kyon a lot from his original, but changing his character like that... I can't idly stand by.

Why not just stick with "Yare yare," and trust the audience to pick up the meaning from its local context? You can get away with that sometimes, you know.
Old 2008-03-31, 20:31   Link #7032
JDGBOLT

Location: Roasting in my dark cave in the Hellfires of Mesa AZ
Send a message via AIM to JDGBOLT Send a message via MSN to JDGBOLT Send a message via Yahoo to JDGBOLT Send a message via Skype™ to JDGBOLT
Smile

Quote:
Well, just did some testing, and tried increasing the renpy demo ones a little bit, to 250x200, and I think it turned out pretty well. Image of it can be seen in the spoiler...

Spoiler for Size:
JDGBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 20:32   Link #7033
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:

Kyon-chan is less spineless. And it was a good reason for Mitsuuru to tell Kyon-chan about his own identity.

I've added more setup to the "Kyon-nee-chan" thing in the second chapter on B-T, if you want to look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaura117 View Post
Why not just stick with "Yare yare," and trust the audience to pick up the meaning from its local context? You can get away with that sometimes, you know.
The people on B-T had a problem with that... you know what, I'm just gonna change it to yare yare anyway.
Old 2008-03-31, 20:33   Link #7034
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGBOLT View Post
Well, just did some testing, and tried increasing the renpy demo ones a little bit, to 250x200, and I think it turned out pretty well. Image of it can be seen in the spoiler...

Spoiler for Size:
Dude, awesome!
Old 2008-03-31, 20:34   Link #7035
Discreet
The Fascist

Mitsuru was going to tell Kyonko his identity either way, though...

And why is Kyonko less spineless? I liked spineless Kyon... and I still think it's disrespectful...

And I guess there's no convincing you Kyon-nee-chan makes my ears bleed.

Le sigh.
Old 2008-03-31, 20:35   Link #7036
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGBOLT View Post

Spoiler for Size:
Looks good.

But, uh...that looks a lot bigger than 250x200...^^;

General of the Trap Army.

Nekomimi Mode!
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 20:36   Link #7037
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
Kyon-chan is less spineless. And it was a good reason for Mitsuuru to tell Kyon-chan about his own identity.

I've added more setup to the "Kyon-nee-chan" thing in the second chapter on B-T, if you want to look at it.

The people on B-T had a problem with that... you know what, I'm just gonna change it to yare yare anyway.
It's a fanwork aimed at fans, if you don't mind me reminding you. "Yare yare" works not only because it's an idiosyncratic saying by a person known for his/her deadpan delivery and snark, but because the fans almost half-expect it anyhow.
Old 2008-03-31, 20:38   Link #7038
Discreet
The Fascist

I'm pretty sure the only people who'd be reading this are already fans, so yare yare ALL THE WAY!
Old 2008-03-31, 20:38   Link #7039
JDGBOLT

Location: Roasting in my dark cave in the Hellfires of Mesa AZ
Send a message via AIM to JDGBOLT Send a message via MSN to JDGBOLT Send a message via Yahoo to JDGBOLT Send a message via Skype™ to JDGBOLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
Looks good.

But, uh...that looks a lot bigger than 250x200...^^;
No, 250x200 is the avatar size, the actual size of the game itself is 1024x640, I can make it bigger or smaller, but I figured everyone probably is capable of 1024x768 by now, and 1024x640 is a 16:10 aspect ratio of 1024x768. . Yeah, and that image is just a placeholder, got it from the fanart pack, not sure who to acredit or anything, and would prefer to do custom stuff so that we don't have to worry about dealing with that sort of stuff. Also helps consistency to have everything by the same group of artists in the same project. So I would prefer custom fanart, and that image as far as how much is shown and such is how I envision kyon being shown most of the game, as most visual novels take place in first person. But this way it still gives us a chance to give her facial expressions and such.

JDGBOLT
JDGBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 20:39   Link #7040
CanadaAotS
Manly Picnic

Quote:
So essentially what you're trying to do is follow the original way!

ZETSUBOU SHITA!

Anyway's, back to looking for a gif editor that doesn't suck, is free, and isn't a trial / limited version...
Then...
1. Make a Kyonko is in Despair! gif
2. Make a Kyonko facepalms gif for danchou
3. Make some Kyonko avatar's for the Visnov
4. ???
5. Profit
6. Edit a neko-shoujo Kyon-ko vector I was working. Btw Kang, it's based on your neko-kyon pic from way back in the thread I hope you don't mind at all.
7. Wonder how it got to be 3 AM so quickly
8. Edit the Crossroads: Parallel Connection h-doujin script some more.
9. Sleep?

God Kyonko eats ALL MY TIME! AND I LOVE IT D:
So broken...

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan