AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-08-01, 22:56   Link #18081
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Spoiler for September the Fourth, Day 3, Universe 1: Cat and Mouse:
That was insane!
Points for "roundhouse kicking through the wall".
Incredibly stylish for turning the water to ice and sliding across it.
Nagato vs Nagato is intense. Now if only we could see them fight each other symmetrically.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 23:03   Link #18082
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
I played it a while ago. How is that interesting?
It's one of the darkest and yet most beautiful things I've ever played, is all.

Most people are turned off by the guro, so I'm just surprised to see another person I know playing it.

But then again you watched EoE at what, 9?

So I shouldn't be too surprised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtrooper42 View Post
Now if only we could see them fight each other symmetrically.
>_>
Old 2009-08-01, 23:06   Link #18083
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
About the Data Thought Sentient Integration Overmind Entity of 1000 Uses...

If we really wanna be literal, we could just call it the Jouhou Tougou Shinentai, can't we? Meh, I like Data Overmind better myself, and it appears so does everyone else.

...Too bad I don't have any rule over this. I'm not creating or discussing an MxM shipping of the Datathing and it's not useless information, so I'm afraid I'm reduced to...

nyoro~n

Now, back to Higurashi.
Old 2009-08-01, 23:08   Link #18084
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Aw damn. Kyonko's in some deep shit there. She's not gonna stay in good shape for long if this keeps up.

And Yuuki is rather...destructive in his attempt to escape with Kyonko.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 23:23   Link #18085
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Forgot about how you wouldn't have been used to the official English translation's terms.

It's a shame that there hasn't been an official translation in any other language. I kind of doubt there ever will be, though. Baka-Tsuki also doesn't seem to have too much translated in Portuguese, along with all the other languages there...
At last I know the group translating it is stil active. Just very slow. Unfortunately Haruhi is not as famous here, even on internet is hard to find a forum talking about it, so it is not likely to have it translated. Maybe the manga, but only when it finish in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivify93 View Post
About the Data Thought Sentient Integration Overmind Entity of 1000 Uses...

If we really wanna be literal, we could just call it the Jouhou Tougou Shinentai, can't we? Meh, I like Data Overmind better myself, and it appears so does everyone else.

...Too bad I don't have any rule over this. I'm not creating or discussing an MxM shipping of the Datathing and it's not useless information, so I'm afraid I'm reduced to...

nyoro~n
Liteal translation is not don't translating it. 'Data Thought Sentient Integration' may be a literal translation, 'Jouhou Tougou Shinentai' is not. Due to it nature, a literal translation would work well. Anyway, as I said, no point discussing it here (unless Kaisos is open to a change, which I do not believe)
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 23:38   Link #18086
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Quote:
I've heard of it, but now I definitely have to check it out and add it to my pile of games to play.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 23:55   Link #18087
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:

Most people are turned off by the guro, so I'm just surprised to see another person I know playing it.

But then again you watched EoE at what, 9?

So I shouldn't be too surprised...
The guro stuff didn't really bother me. I don't know if that's because I was paying more attention to the story, or if it's a side effect of seeing everyone getting hugged and turned into Tang by a giant naked Rei. Most likely the first option, but if GNR can make me avoid Tang for the rest of my life, what can't she do?

Quote:
I've heard of it, but now I definitely have to check it out and add it to my pile of games to play.
Yes. Yes, you do.

Bleh, I realized that there was nothing on-topic here. Then I thought of what the topic was. Genderbending.

...Picturing Saya as an alien shota isn't bad, but oh god I reaaally don't want to think of what would be done to man!Yoh.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 01:54   Link #18088
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
22 now. =P

Spoiler for September the Fourth, Day 3, Universe 1: Clubroom(?)- The Wrong Side of the Fence:

To clarify, "long-range scanning" simply involves Nagato linking to a satellite and scanning an area that way. "Short-range scanning", conversely, involves him using his own abilities to directly scan through a smaller area. As such, it's more difficult in the first place, and he's currently having trouble.
Wheehee! Action hero Nagato Yuuki!
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 02:25   Link #18089
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Aw damn. Kyonko's in some deep shit there. She's not gonna stay in good shape for long if this keeps up.

And Yuuki is rather...destructive in his attempt to escape with Kyonko.
Most of the more blatant destruction he repairs. Well, except for the poor library.

Maybe I should have Jintor add some line about Yuki 'glaring' in 'rage' at the damaged books.

Quote:
Um.

I would not do it unless you can handle gore everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Like OH GOD MY BEDSHEETS ARE MADE OF FLESH everywhere.

And generally disturbing descriptive imagery.

If you can handle that it's worth it as the story is fucking incredible.

Quote:
The guro stuff didn't really bother me. I don't know if that's because I was paying more attention to the story, or if it's a side effect of seeing everyone getting hugged and turned into Tang by a giant naked Rei. Most likely the first option, but if GNR can make me avoid Tang for the rest of my life, what can't she do?
The entire Komm, Susser Todd sequence was the greatest moment in animation, ever.

And yeah, I don't think I'll be able to drink Tang ever either, though I've never exactly looked for it...
Old 2009-08-02, 02:42   Link #18090
AnimeFan188

HARUHI transsexual "She KYON" doujinshi sale

See:

http://74.125.47.132/translate_c?hl=...cjxw2acuJibJ1w

How many different gender-bender Haruhi fanfics are there out there anyway?
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 02:47   Link #18091
isadorathegreat
Apprentice to Everything

Send a message via AIM to isadorathegreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
How many different gender-bender Haruhi fanfics are there out there anyway?
Well, there are the ones archived here ... and I know there's a Kyonko C2 on fanfiction.net.

Other than that ... no idea.
isadorathegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 03:08   Link #18092
Heatth

While on that matter, I wonder if Japan has a organized project like this one and if it has a concensus about the characters personality.

I mean, most english fanwork derives from here right? So most characters are more or less similar to how they are here (based on Kaisos view of then) right? The same occurs in Japan?
Old 2009-08-02, 03:21   Link #18093
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
While on that matter, I wonder if Japan has a organized project like this one and if it has a concensus about the characters personality.

I mean, most english fanwork derives from here right? So most characters are more or less similar to how they are here (based on Kaisos view of then) right? The same occurs in Japan?
Japan only seems to have various doujin works rather than a semi-organized group like this, but...

Most of the early character interpretations here were based off of a single, very early doujin, which in turn was simply based off of the archetypes we can easily see they embody just by looking at the original NicoNico video that started all of this.

So the basis is the same.

I applaud the person who decided that turning Kyon into a loli tsundere was a good idea.

Quote:
I consider this the BEST IDEA EVER.
I still agree with myself to this very day.
Old 2009-08-02, 04:02   Link #18094
Heatth

Quote:
Japan only seems to have various doujin works rather than a semi-organized group like this, but...

Most of the early character interpretations here were based off of a single, very early doujin, which in turn was simply based off of the archetypes we can easily see they embody just by looking at the original NicoNico video that started all of this.

So the basis is the same.

I applaud the person who decided that turning Kyon into a loli tsundere was a good idea.
I see. Really it is not that different. Many ideas of the rewrite also come from these early doujins rights? Like the early "Be my bride!" or Ryou(*couth*Assassin*couth*) with a katana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos
I still agree with myself to this very day.
I guess it is why you are still writing it right?

But now I am curious with the names. Reading this first pages, I saw you trying to decides how it would be. It ends how it is now, but only Haruki's and Itsuko's are different from the japanese version. Coincidence?
Old 2009-08-02, 04:11   Link #18095
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I see. Really it is not that different. Many ideas of the rewrite also come from these early doujins rights? Like the early "Be my bride!" or Ryou(*couth*Assassin*couth*) with a katana.
Ryou = Assassin is ALL Danchou's fault. None of mine.

And "be my bride" thing I consider stupid now. It seemed like a good idea at the time though.

Quote:
But now I am curious with the names. Reading this first pages, I saw you trying to decides how it would be. It ends how it is now, but only Haruki's and Itsuko's are different from the japanese version. Coincidence?
Itsuko's Japanese name is "Itsuki", but with the "ki" being the kanji for "princess". We could have gone "Itsuhime" to preserve the joke, but I seem to remember it being simpler to just call her "Itsuko".

"Haruhiko" sounds stupid to an English reader, as we'd naturally separate it into "Haruhi" and "ko", which would be making an already feminine name even more feminine. In fact, it should be separated as "Haru" and "hiko", (the latter of which is a strongly masculine ending) but, again, to an English reader...

In any case, "Haruki" keep the correct number of syllables and seems to be a more common name anyway, so to the Elevens.

Although unlike "Haruhi" and "Haruhiko" it can actually be written in Kanji, but again, that doesn't matter to us.

Also, Shin used "Haruki" and "Itsuko" and he was one of the early driving forces, so it became "Haruki" and "Itsuko".

And knowing is half the battle! GI Joe!
Old 2009-08-02, 04:25   Link #18096
Heatth

Quote:
Ryou = Assassin is ALL Danchou's fault. None of mine.
Actually it is the guy who draw he first fault. They have very similar appearence. A friend, who isn't familiar with neither, could tell it by sight. I always thought this is why he end up with a katana inste a knife.

Quote:
And "be my bride" thing I consider stupid now. It seemed like a good idea at the time though.
Very stupid, yeah. But also stupidly funny.

Quote:
Itsuko's Japanese name is "Itsuki", but with the "ki" being the kanji for "princess". We could have gone "Itsuhime" to preserve the joke, but I seem to remember it being simpler to just call her "Itsuko".

"Haruhiko" sounds stupid to an English reader, as we'd naturally separate it into "Haruhi" and "ko", which would be making an already feminine name even more feminine. In fact, it should be separated as "Haru" and "hiko", (the latter of which is a strongly masculine ending) but, again, to an English reader...

In any case, "Haruki" keep the correct number of syllables and seems to be a more common name anyway, so to the Elevens.

Although unlike "Haruhi" and "Haruhiko" it can actually be written in Kanji, but again, that doesn't matter to us.

Also, Shin used "Haruki" and "Itsuko" and he was one of the early driving forces, so it became "Haruki" and "Itsuko".

And knowing is half the battle! GI Joe!
That I know ("Haruhi" couldn't be writen with 'spring' and 'day', btw?)

I was talking about the other 2 guys. They are Mitsuuru and Yuuki in Japan too right? I saw you discussed a lot before agree, but the name ended being the same as in japan. Coicidence or you just decided use it to have less discrepancy?

Hey, remeber I telling you we have to have a 'history' page on our site? I was talking about stuff like this. The genderbent history is the Tsuji history after all.

*e*
Oh, an addendum. I really like Haruki way better then Haruhiko. And while Itsu'hime' looks fine in kanji, how it would be if ever got dubbed? I say your ideas are better . (by 'your' I mean 'people of the forum". Damn english that do not have a second person plural)
Old 2009-08-02, 05:09   Link #18097
DannyCat
Currently Observing.

Quote:
Although unlike "Haruhi and "Haruhiko" it can actually be written in Kanji
Ways to write Haruhi in kanji, and ways to write Haruhiko in kanji.

Oddly enough, for some reason only Haruhi has a katakana reading common enough to include. And Haruki in katakana is listed as a female name. Actually, most ways of reading "Haruki" are female names.
DannyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 05:19   Link #18098
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyCat View Post
Ways to write Haruhi in kanji, and ways to write Haruhiko in kanji.

Oddly enough, for some reason only Haruhi has a katakana reading common enough to include.
Interesting. I didn't now you cold mix hiragana and kanji (はる緋).

Amusely, while 'Haruhi' is always femele, 'Haruhiko" can be femele too. And it is 'haruhi-ko'(春日子).

I didn't understand that sit well. How can o look for "Haruki"?
Nevemind, I found a way.

Haruki in Kanji

Interestingly, 'Haruki' in katakana seens to be a female name. I can be male if is write in kanji, however. I wonder how our Haruki's name is write then... (not that it really matter for a english speaker)
Old 2009-08-02, 05:26   Link #18099
DannyCat
Currently Observing.

Haruhi: 100% female
Haruki: 35% female, 4% male, 61% unspecified. (results truncated at 100)
Haruhiko: 83% male, 8% female, 9% unspecified.

Overall, Haruhiko appears to be the most masculine of the three.
DannyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 05:43   Link #18100
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyCat View Post
Haruhi: 100% female
Haruki: 35% female, 4% male, 61% unspecified. (results truncated at 100)
Haruhiko: 83% male, 8% female, 9% unspecified.

Overall, Haruhiko appears to be the most masculine of the three.
True, this explain why the japanese choiced it. Yet, Haruki feel more natural to me (and other non-japanese speakers, I suppose).

By the way, I make a list of my favourites kanijs for Haruki:
開 (open, unseal) If Kyonko is the key, he is the door right?
啓己 (disclose, open + rough male "I") Same as before, but with the "ore" thing.
晴喜 (clear up + rejoice) Becaus of the "rejoice" part. Also, it is one of the few that are definetly male.
晴基 (clear up + fundation) Cause clearing up fundations is what he do.
暖生東樹 (warm + life + east + wood) Just because it is ridiculous big. I mean, how it is possible have more kanjis then hiraganas?

(feel free to ignore, I just like this kind of stuff)

While on the subject, Yuuki's and Mitsuru's don't seen to be much masculine either. Both only have one way to write that is definetly male.

This site also says that 'Kyon' is female! And that Kyonko does exist, as a female name, amusely, the kanjis, 今武子, means "now", "military" and "child".

Now I wonder if Kyon's name is Imatake (今武). It seens to be the only reading for this kanjis. But '今武子' is 'Kyonko' (not Imatako). Removing the 'ko'(子) we have 'kyon'. Tough neither of this names seens to be very known. Also, don't know it Imatake is royal sounding.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-08-02 at 06:17.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan