AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-24, 07:11   Link #18881
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Heh, the D rank thing was a little cruel. He was being very annoying, however. They kinda deserved that.
Taniguchi, and Kunikida, struck me as friendly more than as annoying. It's not like they were hitting on Kyonko and Itsuko in a cat call-esque way - they were offering to take them on a tour of the school, and show them the library. Kyonko was (in that one reply) a lot nastier to them than what was warranted, I felt.

I hasten to add that this is not a criticism of the writing - but rather of the character herself. Male Kyon can be a bit of a jerk towards male Taniguchi as well, such as being non-responsive to some pretty basic questions.

Anyway, I'm just a fan of Taniguchi and Kunikida. They're a bit shallow (well, Taniguchi at least is), but in a lovable three stooges-esque way. Taniguchi is the kind of ideal guy to shoot the breeze with.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 07:17   Link #18882
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 23
Actually he really has this fascination with hitting on girls that would sincerely piss me off if I knew him (or a person like him) IRL.

It's like, the sole focus of his life. Or at least, he acts that way.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 07:23   Link #18883
Heatth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Don't giving the chance to the girls talk is hardly what I call 'friendly'. . And the worse response was just after he crossed the line (whispering loudly is really bad manners).

As for Kyon acts better treats Taniguchi better. Kyonko also treats Taniguchi(f) better. Noon of then would be pleased if being hit for a gender changed version of Taniguchi, that is just creepy.

I also do think Taniguchi is awesome, but this knowing he is a jerk to womans in general.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 09:10   Link #18884
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Kyon would typically call Kyonko by her family name (much like he does with everyone else save Haruhi after the closed space incident). Base problem is that we don't know her family name, and it would be the same as Kyon's thus openning questions even though it is very likely to have someone with the same last name running around a school and not being at all related. Especially if it is a common last name.

He could call her "Smith", and get away with it even though it isn't Japanese.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 09:22   Link #18885
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
He could call her "Smith", and get away with it even though it isn't Japanese.
Making a Jane Smith joke might actually be a good idea.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 09:27   Link #18886
Heatth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Kyon would typically call Kyonko by her family name (much like he does with everyone else save Haruhi after the closed space incident). Base problem is that we don't know her family name, and it would be the same as Kyon's thus openning questions even though it is very likely to have someone with the same last name running around a school and not being at all related. Especially if it is a common last name.

He could call her "Smith", and get away with it even though it isn't Japanese.
But he doesn't know who she is yet. As far I understood he will keep calling her 'Girl A' for a while. Also, even after he lear she 'is he', I doubt he would call her by her family name, cause this would be weird (it iss his family name as well). He will probably call her 'the other me' or 'femele me', like she does when talking/thinking about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Making a Jane Smith joke might actually be a good idea.
More old discussion? I agree it is a good idea, however. The problem is we would need define her fake name. We have yet to find a consensus about it.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 09:40   Link #18887
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
More old discussion? I agree it is a good idea, however. The problem is we would need define her fake name. We have yet to find a consensus about it.
I meant in context of the current discussion. After all, we know what Kyon called himself, and we're talking about what he might call someone else nondescript. I'm not necessarily advocating that every reference to Kyonko before Kyon learns who she is should be Jane Smith, but even one shout to his own name would be amusing and telling.

I don't think this has much to do with what Kyonko called herself to Haruki during BLR.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 09:43   Link #18888
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Following the clouds North.
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
I thought we were going with Joan Smith... Maybe that's still undecided.
__________________

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 09:53   Link #18889
Heatth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
I meant in context of the current discussion. After all, we know what Kyon called himself, and we're talking about what he might call someone else nondescript. I'm not necessarily advocating that every reference to Kyonko before Kyon learns who she is should be Jane Smith, but even one shout to his own name would be amusing and telling.

I don't think this has much to do with what Kyonko called herself to Haruki during BLR.
I don't think it works. 'John Smith' is a classical alias. If he use a random name to refer someone he would use a random common japanese name. I thought we were going for “Nayuki”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
I thought we were going with Joan Smith... Maybe that's still undecided.
I think it was pretty much undecided, yes. Also, I don't understood the argument in defence of 'Joan'. How 'Joan' rhymes with 'Kyon? My english is really that bad?

PP:
Never mind, I just saw Kaisos post after the one I linked. Still, I don't believe it is set on stone yet.

PPP:
And then Danchou post in the next page also don't really agrees (or disagrees) it that name ^^;

Yeah, pretty much undecided.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-08-24 at 10:03.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 10:04   Link #18890
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
I don't think it works. 'John Smith' is a classical alias. If he use a random name to refer someone he would use a random common japanese name. I thought we were going for “Nayuki”.
You're right, actually. I was thinking of Jane Doe, though it loses something for not referencing Kyon's BLR name.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 10:09   Link #18891
Heatth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
You're right, actually. I was thinking of Jane Doe, though it loses something for not referencing Kyon's BLR name.
Jane Doe is actually on of the opitions for seitenkan!BLR... Who is her, btw?
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 10:12   Link #18892
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Jane Doe is actually on of the opitions for seitenkan!BLR... Who is her, btw?
John Doe is the name given to dead men without ID's, Jane Doe is the female variant of this.

This is why I think Jane Smith is a much more apropriate alias for Kyonko given Kyon's John Smith.
__________________

↑Click for MAL.↑
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 10:13   Link #18893
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Following the clouds North.
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
Its a reference to the legal system... a place holder name for a missing person in a legal action.

Link makes it clearer, hopefully: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Doe (it redirects to John Doe but they're the same, except for gender)
__________________

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 10:15   Link #18894
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
The "Girl A" 'problem' has already been taken care of. There's no need to discuss it.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 10:19   Link #18895
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Jane Doe is actually on of the opitions for seitenkan!BLR... Who is her, btw?
John and Jane Doe are the traditional names used in police reports and court proceedings when the name of the person being referenced is unknown, or to protect their identity if there's a reason for them to be kept private.

It (John Doe) goes all the way back to 17th century England, at least. Jane Doe probably popped up when women started to have court rights.

ETA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane
The "Girl A" 'problem' has already been taken care of. There's no need to discuss it.
First mention of a solution in this thread, anyway. Also suspiciously lacking the solution reached.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 10:20   Link #18896
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
And Smith is one of the most common English surnames.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 10:21   Link #18897
Heatth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
John Doe is the name given to dead men without ID's, Jane Doe is the female variant of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
Its a reference to the legal system... a place holder name for a missing person in a legal action.

Link makes it clearer, hopefully: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Doe (it redirects to John Doe but they're the same, except for gender)
I see, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
This is why I think Jane Smith is a much more apropriate alias for Kyonko given Kyon's John Smith.
I agree with you here. It might be different if we actually know the symbolist Kyon thought, if he thought any. For now I would say 'Jane' is more natural

There is the problem that it doesn't rhymes with 'Kyon' as 'John' does, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
The "Girl A" 'problem' has already been taken care of. There's no need to discuss it.
You are no fun

But, yeah, unless someone have a new idea, we should wait until it be really necessery.

PP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
John and Jane Doe are the traditional names used in police reports and court proceedings when the name of the person being referenced is unknown, or to protect their identity if there's a reason for them to be kept private.
Thank-you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
ETA
First mention of a solution in this thread, anyway. Also suspiciously lacking the solution reached.
As I said last page, he will never call her by the name, cause it is weird. Insted he will call her 'Girl A', 'Mayuki' and 'other me'(probably. Not sure for the last one).
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 10:33   Link #18898
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
First mention of a solution in this thread, anyway. Also suspiciously lacking the solution reached.
The basic information about the first week, including the name Kyon will call Kyonko, is available to everyone. It has been since back in May.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 10:34   Link #18899
Heatth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Heatth
You forgot the link.

However, I understand who don't want to see the outlines. People don't like spoilers.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 10:42   Link #18900
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
Clearly my opinion is unwanted and not respected. That link does not link to the post KS is referencing, and I've read through a lot of the plans and storyboarding and have not come across this nugget of information.

So fine. All decided and ready to go. In an undisclosed post that I don't have time to dig up without any clues myself. ...I doubt I'll even lurk this thread anymore.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.