AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-03-04, 11:44   Link #61
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I wouldn't blame it all on JC Staff alone or only look at their less impressive projects. A lot of the manga material they work on was a bit on the slow side like with Shana 2. Stuff like Zero no Tsukaima, there wasn't much to go on with the material either (I hear the manga is terrible..). I also find their consistency to be pretty good overall. Hopefully they'll channel the energy they had for Honey and Clover, Azumanga and Shigofumi. But it's hard to tell since they make so many anime projects nowadays. It's hard to pinpoint them and say that is where all their quality lies. As for Slayers itself, they have been pretty devoted to it to say the least.

For what Watanabe had to work on before, I think it's too small of a workload to say that he is inconsistent. Basically the biggest stuff he worked on was Slayers and Shana. As for the smaller projects, not all of them were in his hands as the writing and original material is concerned. And I think he handles the action and crucial scenes very good.

I really can't see how none of this is stars not aligning perfectly, especially with the return of the original writer for the Slayers TV shows.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 12:06   Link #62
X10A_Freedom
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Neo-Venezia...I wish!
The manga of ZnT and Shana are a spinoff from the anime. Both ZnT and Shana anime itself are derived from light novels in the same way that the Slayers is. I've had the opportunity to read ZnT novel #2 and it was very good.

ZnT1 was decent, ZnT2 was crass fanservice, but ZnT2 had a different director.
Shana 1 had a good battle/slice balance while Shana 2 had a lot of slice which was also very bland. Shana 2 retained much of the same team as Shana 1, which would also be the case for Slayers 4. I dropped Shana 2 after finding the Pheles arc to be rather poorly done in my opinion.
H&C is very hard to fault and is probably one of the best slice-of-life of all time.

They've done some very good stuff in the past but their more recent work leaves much to be desired. I hope Slayers season 4 would be a different story!
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 12:19   Link #63
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I guess converting novels and manga and converting it into original anime material can get pretty messy. I'm amazed how well the Slayers TV shows worked with that mishmash personally.

As for Shana 2, I agree it's been handled pretty strangely for the first half (almost all fillers and training..), but second half seems to be all action, all the time. Which is good for Shana I guess.

I know the new season of Slayers is no guarantee to be good or even great like the first three seasons, so I'd be disappointed if what's on paper regarding the seiyuu and production falls flat. Because there is no evident reason for it to. Though I seriously doubt they'll be back to making it ho-hum with this kind of franchise. I don't think this season will be some sort of a desperation attack by JC Staff, but they do have a lot riding on it I believe. Even if they do seem to make one or two truly good/great shows per year.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 18:29   Link #64
dynastzel
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Wants for Slayers

I guess for me, what I would REALLY like to see from new Slayers is a few loose ends taken care of, some unexplored areas, or just things I would want to see more of.

1) Integrate Naga back into things. For one, outside of the video games, she has had no interaction with the current cast. Aside from interviews, they also need to resolve the rumors as to her past and true identity.
2) They should do at least SOMETHING involving Lina's sister, Luna. All we really know about her is that she's the Knight of Ceipheid, super-powerful, a waitress, and a subject of immense fear for Lina. All we have really seen of her is quick glimpses in the opening sequences of NEXT and TRY
3) We should see more of Sylphiel. I like her character and she is extremely underused, despite being so powerful (in some areas).
4) Introduce the other 3 of the 5 subordinates of Shabranigdo: Deep-Sea Dolphin, Dynast Grauscherra and Greater Beast Zelas-Metallium. Maybe even do a little something around the other 2 higher dark lords: Chaotic Blue or Death Fog.
5) We don't know very much, by the anime, about the races of Dragons. We know about Golden and Ancient Dragons, a tiny little bit about the Water & Fire Dragon Kings, and almost nothing about the Dragon Gods aside from Ceipheid except what's learned about Vorfeid in Slayers Try.
6) More involvement of the relationships of Lina/Gourry & Amelia/Zelgadis.

So on that note, ANY THOUGHTS??
dynastzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 19:00   Link #65
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastzel View Post
I guess for me, what I would REALLY like to see from new Slayers is a few loose ends taken care of, some unexplored areas, or just things I would want to see more of.

1) Integrate Naga back into things. For one, outside of the video games, she has had no interaction with the current cast. Aside from interviews, they also need to resolve the rumors as to her past and true identity.
2) They should do at least SOMETHING involving Lina's sister, Luna. All we really know about her is that she's the Knight of Ceipheid, super-powerful, a waitress, and a subject of immense fear for Lina. All we have really seen of her is quick glimpses in the opening sequences of NEXT and TRY
3) We should see more of Sylphiel. I like her character and she is extremely underused, despite being so powerful (in some areas).
4) Introduce the other 3 of the 5 subordinates of Shabranigdo: Deep-Sea Dolphin, Dynast Grauscherra and Greater Beast Zelas-Metallium. Maybe even do a little something around the other 2 higher dark lords: Chaotic Blue or Death Fog.
5) We don't know very much, by the anime, about the races of Dragons. We know about Golden and Ancient Dragons, a tiny little bit about the Water & Fire Dragon Kings, and almost nothing about the Dragon Gods aside from Ceipheid except what's learned about Vorfeid in Slayers Try.
6) More involvement of the relationships of Lina/Gourry & Amelia/Zelgadis.

So on that note, ANY THOUGHTS??
Himitsu
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 20:04   Link #66
Cadorna
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
hell yeah , a new series, some days ago a friend request me to download the 3 series, the MotherF****ed has a premonition(he doesn 't have internet)
Cadorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 20:31   Link #67
yozaku
Always Idle
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
oh well this is a good news I really like this series
yozaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 22:14   Link #68
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
@dynastzel - I love your points, but the one about Sylphiel... With her introduction and role to the story all being dashed, they would need to have another take on her. Lina and Gourry have a reason to wander around (trying to eat their way from coast to coast) and Zal looking for his humanity. I guess the way they do Amelia since she gets slotted in with some reason and it all works out well

@SuperKnuckles - I guess for S1, that was the first time most people had seen it so they didn't have anything to compare it to. The energy and charm of the Lina and friends really made the show. I loved the contrast between the presentation of it and the dark world of the Slayers universe.
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 00:52   Link #69
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
I guess the way they do Amelia since she gets slotted in with some reason and it all works out well
Amelia is easy. She's a crusader whose often looking for wrongs to right. If Rina and everyone are involved in fighting some evil for their own reason, then she'll be eager to show up on her own. That's just what she does.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 01:04   Link #70
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Amelia is easy. She's a crusader whose often looking for wrongs to right. If Rina and everyone are involved in fighting some evil for their own reason, then she'll be eager to show up on her own. That's just what she does.
That is only after the Lina influence. She mostly is OMG it's Lina, state duty calls... run away!!!!!! Cue the Lina effect to destroy the event and Amelia is running away from the destruction with Lina under the guise of a crusade

Let me back up my point

S1 - Amelia blows up part of her city... Needs to run away
S2 - Amelia gets captured by Martina and then Lina blows up Martina's city... Needs to run away
S3 - Lina and Filia blows up the armada and the city... Needs to run away

Amelia running away is like them starting an episode in some eatery
__________________

Last edited by grey_moon; 2008-03-05 at 01:14.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 07:41   Link #71
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Stuff like Zero no Tsukaima, there wasn't much to go on with the material either (I hear the manga is terrible..).
J.C Staff butchered ZnT II, they tried to fit in 4 light novels within 12 episodes and to add insult to injury the skipped an entire volume (full of character development) in the last 2 minutes by using a lame boob joke.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 09:31   Link #72
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 34
if Naga is here I'll be very glad. I miss her and her laugh and her assets.
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 10:24   Link #73
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
if Naga is here I'll be very glad. I miss her and her laugh and her assets.
Nooo stop the bad memories *gibbers in the corner*
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 10:28   Link #74
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
When I saw the thread title, I thought I was seeing a very old thread being resurrected, that was until I saw "4th season".

I regret to say I was very young when I watched Slayers on TV as a brat, so I hardly understood what was going on, not to mention the TV network was years behind the schedule in Japan. By the time I was old enough, I had to study abroad in another country, and my anime interests have shifted a lot since then.

Still, my biggest impression of the series has got to be the antagonist Xellos and his trademark "Sore wa himitsu desu". He usually appears as a seemingly bumbling fool (but he's too cool to actually look foolish), occasionally helping out Lina and her friends, but would occasionally reveal that he actually kicks some serious ass and works for an unknown master with unknown motives. I remember telling myself, "now that's what I call an awesome character".
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 11:16   Link #75
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Still, my biggest impression of the series has got to be the antagonist Xellos and his trademark "Sore wa himitsu desu". He usually appears as a seemingly bumbling fool (but he's too cool to actually look foolish), occasionally helping out Lina and her friends, but would occasionally reveal that he actually kicks some serious ass and works for an unknown master with unknown motives. I remember telling myself, "now that's what I call an awesome character".
Hee hee by the end of Try he isn't unknown any more and I believe his master is also mentioned too. Hmmm I don't want to spoil you....

Spoiler for a little background on xellos:
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 17:03   Link #76
NakedAngelX
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Yaaaa!!!! Well just so exicted....

I'll come yell here once a week till its out lol
__________________
NakedAngelX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 20:46   Link #77
Monkey D. Luffy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: U.S.A.
With this new season coming up it might easily be the best looking one, I'm a big fan of Slayers and this news just gave me something else to look forward to.
Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 21:56   Link #78
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
SLAYERS! NAO! DO WANT!

Ahem, I'm game.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 05:04   Link #79
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
When I saw the thread title, I thought I was seeing a very old thread being resurrected, that was until I saw "4th season".

I regret to say I was very young when I watched Slayers on TV as a brat, so I hardly understood what was going on, not to mention the TV network was years behind the schedule in Japan. By the time I was old enough, I had to study abroad in another country, and my anime interests have shifted a lot since then.

Still, my biggest impression of the series has got to be the antagonist Xellos and his trademark "Sore wa himitsu desu". He usually appears as a seemingly bumbling fool (but he's too cool to actually look foolish), occasionally helping out Lina and her friends, but would occasionally reveal that he actually kicks some serious ass and works for an unknown master with unknown motives. I remember telling myself, "now that's what I call an awesome character".
My life changed quite a bit since watching it a while back too. Strangely enough, I skimped on anime and didn't even know what it was (even though my parents were anime fanatics like... 30 years ago) and when I rediscovered it upon reaching adulthood (I guess you truly become aware of things once you come close to becoming an adult and be able to truly appreciate things). And that's when I found Slayers.

I think it's pretty funny that it can reach out to adults the same way and now looking back at it, I find myself still very fond of it. Yes, the small boob, eat-lots-of-food jokes are ridiculously ancient cliches, but the characters themselves sort of defy all that. To me, Zelgadis always stood out because of how ridiculous his premise was even by anime standards. As a sort of a demon-child of a demonized priest who in the end turns out to be a golem/elf-thing. Then there is of course, Lina, outside of Haruhi, may be one of the biggest female egos in anime history.

Though, really, I would be happy if they can add in a totally new character or two in the meanwhile. Just adding a few can change the dynamics completely like with Fillia in Try.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 09:05   Link #80
dynastzel
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I know in the original manga, more happens after what was made into Slayers Try. Anyone know anything about that, that maybe they could use in the new season as well?
dynastzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, fantasy, magic

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.