AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-01-31, 16:05   Link #1
Eins610

What's the best BitTorrent client?

I'm currently using the experimental client. I was wondering which client is the best. I want one that can resume a file faster, the experimental one takes a couple of minutes to check the existing file. And any clients with features that are very useful?
Eins610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 19:40   Link #2
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
ABC (http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net) is based on the shad0w core (http://bt.degreez.net)

It has torrent queueing, capping, super-seed mode, a fast-reseed function and web based remote control.

Resuming may not take less time, but the system still has to check the existing pieces of the file you have downloaded.
Old 2004-02-02, 13:11   Link #3
warnold
nerfelwap

Azureus has a fast resume mode, where it remembers what it had already done to a file, and assumes you haven't changed it outside of the program.

--
-billy-
warnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 18:00   Link #4
Keen

I can't say I've seen any period of time of hashing to check resumed files once their added to your list of torrents in BitComet.
Old 2004-02-05, 08:26   Link #5
Anax
Animefactory Encoder

I've found Azureus to be the best client around for helping to re-seed a lot of old torrents. (I have 59 torrents in my list right now ready to re-seed.) I'm hoping the support will get even better in the near future.

That said, there've been some trackers lately which have blocked Azureus because of the amount of checking it does to see how many seeds and clients are active. The developers have been working hard to address these concerns.
Anax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 08:47   Link #6
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

I've found Torment to be the best standalone client.
Old 2004-02-05, 19:36   Link #7
kyosuke
My bike got stolen

Shad0w experimental client 0wnz all, I use it and I get lightning speed with this thing, u can cap uploads and it's full of features
kyosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 20:18   Link #8
KnowsNothing
<3 Nina

I guess it really depends on personal preference. I use ABC and I really like it. I haven't tried Azureus yet becaus ei honestly don't need to. ABC is user-friendly and it has a nice set of features if you need them.

I give a thumbsup and a pat on the back to Another Bittorent Client (took me awhile to figure out that's what ABC stood for =P)
Old 2004-02-09, 15:55   Link #9
kaede

Arrow

Yeah i think so to Shadow is the best but its only the third client i have use so dont know how good Azureus is. But its true the speed is awesome.
kaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 16:42   Link #10
DAK

Send a message via ICQ to DAK Send a message via AIM to DAK Send a message via MSN to DAK Send a message via Yahoo to DAK
I just recently started using Bitcomet. ( http://www.bitcomet.com )

I haven't really seen the download speeds as I'm trying to get the UT2K4 demo and I'm only getting 40KBps out of this slow torrent as the demo just came out today and everyone and their mother is trying to download it. But the upload is amazing, so I assume the download is up there. (It's currently pulling 120KBps up)

It's quite easy to use, not 100% user friendly but has alot of great features, uses very little resources compared to some of the other ones I have tried, all download in one window like torrentstorm and some others unlike shadow's BT client. It seems to be a great program, I highly reccomend it.
Old 2004-02-14, 17:39   Link #11
Killerattacks

I use Azureus. Its simply the best client. No other can compare with its features and looks. When I look at stuff like shadows client or Bitcomet i think "you poor guys" but thats just my opinion
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 17:57   Link #12
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerattacks
I use Azureus. Its simply the best client. No other can compare with its features and looks. When I look at stuff like shadows client or Bitcomet i think "you poor guys" but thats just my opinion
When I look at Azureus users I can't help but think "you poor guys" but that's just my opinion. (Azureus is a huge resource hog, it took twice the memory and CPU than ABC for me and ABC isn't exactly one of the lightest clients around either).

As for the best client, I don't really know. I guess the best one is the one you like best. There's no client which would clearly be the best in all areas. Azureus does have the others beat in terms of useful features, but it uses up the most system resources and it has been banned by atleast a few trackers because of something (haven't really paid attention what the reason was). ABC has a decent enough GUI and a working queue system but atleast on my PC it's rather unstable. TorrentStorm uses less resources than ABC and has a fast resume feature but lacks a queue system. Pretty much every client has *something* going for it.

Last edited by Cruzz; 2004-02-14 at 18:26.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 18:24   Link #13
Griffith

Another vote for ABC here. The ability to limit upload speed helped me a lot, since I tend to download slow while uploading even though I'm on 3MB cable. It uses up around the same amount of ram as the standard BT client for me and the priority setting is helpful if you're downloading multiple things at once.
Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 18:46   Link #14
Killerattacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzz
When I look at Azureus users I can't help but think "you poor guys" but that's just my opinion. (Azureus is a huge resource hog, it took twice the memory and CPU than ABC for me and ABC isn't exactly one of the lightest clients around either).
Doesnt concern me. I have 1 gig Ram. So it doesnt bother me if Azureus uses up to 200Mbs. And the cpu load? Well Im on a Athlon64 3200+ so...
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 22:21   Link #15
ZeroKun

new azureus cvss use 2/3 to 1/2 less memory than abc does, as for resources i only notice it when i have 5 torrents or a batch going for both clients.
ZeroKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 01:15   Link #16
dannylu88

Send a message via AIM to dannylu88
i like torenttopia
dannylu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 07:54   Link #17
M00gle
Kupoman

I would say Shadows experimental bit torrent...
M00gle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 01:20   Link #18
CelestiaLegends

I'm using TorrentStorm, only because ABC had too many problems. For me anyway, if it crashes once getting the GUI takes too long to start up. Just me.
CelestiaLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-22, 15:28   Link #19
Imaginer
WTFBBQ?

Azureus uses ALOT of CPU time. Even with a ok processor, it still eats over half the cpu time. But it has the best functionality and features plus it gives detailed graphical information.
Imaginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 00:40   Link #20
Liddo
wheeeee!~

Send a message via AIM to Liddo Send a message via MSN to Liddo Send a message via Yahoo to Liddo Send a message via Skype™ to Liddo
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestiaLegends
I'm using TorrentStorm, only because ABC had too many problems. For me anyway, if it crashes once getting the GUI takes too long to start up. Just me.
hmm i dun really have any problems with ABC... you should try the new ver.. 2.6.3...

i use to use regular bt when i started.. tried other ones like BT++ and ABC quit... and went shadow.. then shadow ate my ram like a mother when i have 10+ bts going so i switched to ABC and found it quite useful when ur doing mass dling...

kawaii~~~~~~
Liddo is offline   Reply With Quote