AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-02-24, 10:16   Link #21
panianna

There is no such thing as an ideal bittorrent client. I've tried 5 of them and I have to admit that all of them have well known problems.
I've started with your standart client, the latest version. Not bad if you want someting simple. Not my thing.
Then I've tried Burst. Phe! Ugly! Didn't like it.
ABC was better, but still it was slow as hell. TorrentStorm was even worse.
Azureus, the last one is icredibly fast, but comsumes a lot of resources. So it is your choice which one you like. Try them all.
panianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 11:10   Link #22
Shift_

I personally use PTC, I tried all the others, but they arn't as good. PTC is just as fast as any other client I've used, and I use all of them.

I agree Azureus is pretty good, but PTC has things that Azureus doesn't have. As for the system resources...I don't even notice it with Azureus, when I had it I was encoding and my cpu didn't miss a beat
Old 2004-02-24, 12:28   Link #23
skillosopher
Dr. J

Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
can someone explain this queueing function with the ABC client? is there a queueing option for shadows 5.8.7 experimental?

which is better between the two?
skillosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 17:28   Link #24
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillosopher
can someone explain this queueing function with the ABC client? is there a queueing option for shadows 5.8.7 experimental?

which is better between the two?
There is no queuing option for Shad0w's Experimental any version of it.

ABC is the one that added that function to the shad0w core.

(edit)
The queuing function lets you set up hundreds of torrents to download one after another.
DWKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 17:47   Link #25
refused!

Azureus got my vote. I can't see that much different in mem and cpu usage, maybe because I got 1024DDR, so it doesn't mather, but I've "only" got 2ghz, so I should notice some there, but I don't. I really like azureus becuase it's only one window, and all the settings. You can move files automaticly after completion, and delete .torrent-files or move them too... Thats really great imo. And, as someone pointed out, it's easy to seed and reseed, and the stat-function is really nice too...
refused! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 18:18   Link #26
Thorn

Send a message via AIM to Thorn Send a message via Yahoo to Thorn
I'd have to go with the shadow client. I've tried the origianal, it didn't have enough features, tried ABC downloads were always too slow (never over 10kb/s).

with shadow I always get excellent speed and has the features that I need.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 00:28   Link #27
EcHeLoN

I'd vote for ABC. I personally have never had any trouble with the speed. It certainly maxes out my cable at about 450KB/sec. I love the queing feature and I don't notice any issue with resources. I highly recommend it.
EcHeLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 14:11   Link #28
skillosopher
Dr. J

alright...so far, in reasearching the "best" BT client ive come up with this (as per experimental clients): ive tried shadow's experimental 5.8.7, ABC's 2.6.1, and Azureus 2.0.7.0.

1. azureus - good BT client. stacked with details, tweaks, and functionality (torrent queueing, fast resume, global upload capping, etc.). although, the complaints about memory usage is valid. the developers have fixed the big memory leak with the new updates via CVS, and the memory leaks were only associated with the beta versions of this client. version 2.0.7.0 is the stabilized version with more efficient memory useage.

my personal experience with this has been fair, im running a 2.8 gig processor, 447 MB of memory and still seem to experience slowdowns due to azureus. downloading batch files, or having several torrents running at once could turn into a gigantic headache (even with all the reccomended setting tweaks).

i have to mention that i hate the "ready" status. this means that you absolutly cannot start more downloads than you configured in the prefrences, without changing the prefrences itself (different with ABC).

the seeding options got the other clients beat hands down. this client is a dream for those who seed many torrents all the time.

overall, those who can afford memory / CPU usage, this is the best client around offering the most in depth features that may come at a high cost.

2. shadow's experimental 5.8.7 - this is a good client. better than using the generic client. offers mild tweaking (individual upload capping). overall...so-so.

3. ABC's 2.6.1 - ABC = great BT client. has most of the important features offered in azureus (torrent queueing, fast resume, global upload capping), and uses far less memory than azureus (about half).

also, you can specify how many downloads at one time, however unlike azureus, you can change the status of a queued torrent to download at any time, regardless of how many downloads at once you've allowed in the preferences.

SUMMARY
after experimenting with the three clients, i feel that ABC's BT client is the best overall. it may lack some of the "bells and whistles" that may come with azureus, but with ABC you get the most for your dollar (even though its all free ) .

Last edited by skillosopher; 2004-02-29 at 11:30.
Old 2004-02-29, 00:25   Link #29
Fntc

Quote:
2. shadow's experimental 5.8.7 - this is a good client. better than using the generic client. offers mild tweaking (upload capping). overall...so-so.
It should be pointed out that even the BASIC client offers *TONS* of tweaking features -- they're just only accessible from the command line. Start your torrents from the command line and set all the tweaking options you want.

Fortunately Shad0w's client lets you set a bunch of them under the advanced preferences setting... ...but not all of them.

Anyway it's nice to have the command line features, gives you way better control over an individual connection than a gui could.
Fntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 04:34   Link #30
Paper

The problem with command line is unless you have a GUI setup as well, you can't change your settings after you start the program..
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 11:19   Link #31
skillosopher
Dr. J

first: since there are known issues for all clients, i wonder what ABC's problems is, because i have yet to find one. i hear that its not so speed friendly, but it usually gives me global download speeds of 250 kbps (not great but good).

second: about shadows experimental

if ABC is based on shadows source, offers queueing, and fast resume (great features), if there arent any significant problems, ABC should be the better client by default because its basically shadows client with better features.

sure, maybe shadows client is changable through messing with the command lines, but i still vote for ABC, and ive been a long time shadow fan (since the beginning of my BT career).

what i ment by "so-so" is that it provides all your basic BT needs, minus fast resume and queueing. shadows client is great, but why pass up torrent queueing? a client without that feature should be a thing of the past IMO.

unless!
im missing something! or all of us whould know how to tweak basic clients via the cmd line? if we all knew how to do that, then any basic client would suffice, and there would be no purpose for Another Bit torrent Client.

Last edited by skillosopher; 2004-02-29 at 11:33.
Old 2004-02-29, 16:40   Link #32
Maxtro

There is one feature that I have seen only in Azureus which makes it the best client for batch torrents. In the files tab you can prioritze each file individualy. Which means you don't have to wait for the whole thing to download to be able to watch the episodes. And who wants to wait 2 days just to see the first episode?

But when I"m not getting a batch torrent I use ABC cause its nicer to my computer.
Maxtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 19:06   Link #33
gohmifune

Right now, I'm in love with Torrentstorm, it works, consumes little resourses, and it is great for mass d/ling, however, the exerimental is best for single downloading, and AZUREUS was good for batches bcause you could single out a file and give it priority, but it ate resources up. Anyone know of a client that can do that btw, prioritze files in a batch?
gohmifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 04:58   Link #34
panianna

Quote:
first: since there are known issues for all clients, i wonder what ABC's problems is, because i have yet to find one. i hear that its not so speed friendly, but it usually gives me global download speeds of 250 kbps (not great but good).

D
Well, ABC is certainly not speed friendly. I have 256/128 cable. I've got out of ABC only 15-20 Kb/s and rarely 25 Kb/s, if the torrent is well seeded.
Azureus gives me 25-32 Kb/s even for old torrents. That is quite a difference fo me.
panianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 18:29   Link #35
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Depends...do you want to use it when you're home, one torrent at a time?
then use the normal original version

Do you want to seed a lot?
Original or Shadows

Do you want to leave downloads overnight and while you're away?
ABC

Do you want it all?
ABC...
Open ABC, click the torrents you want,
it auto-adds them to the list in a queue.
You can set how much kb/s you want to upload,
how long you want it to seed for, etc
Customize the information it gives you, such as
time left, total filesize, error reports, upload/dpwnload rate,
total upload and much more.
And when one item in the queue is done it will move on to the next without
the need of you being there.

AniBUROGU// Loveless Animation vs. Manga Comparison
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 18:51   Link #36
MrHatchet87

I think one of the reasons why some people are seeing resource hogging with Azureus and some aren't is because there's a known issue with Azureus and Zone Alarm. When I have both running, my computer will occasionally slow to a crawl (P4 2.4, 1 GB RAM), but, if I stop either one, I notice no slowdown whatsoever.
MrHatchet87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 01:42   Link #37
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

which has the fastest download?
Old 2004-03-09, 04:03   Link #38
Paper

All clients will pretty much be the same. There's four reasons why you'll hear people saying X client is faster than the rest:

1) Luck. They started downloading at the right time. The tracker sent them a list of peers that all were happy huge seeding machines. You can't compare 2 clients even if you start them within 2 minutes of each other, because the tracker can send one a poor list of peers and the other a good list of peers.

2) By some magical anime booby power, their firewall was open for X client, as opposed to another client (some clients use a range of ports, others use just one, which may not be the same as the port another client uses)

3) The client cheats. Cheating usually means disobeying bittorrent guidlines. For example, trackers can tell the client how often to ask for a peers list, but quite often the timespan isn't enforced by the tracker (they just rely on the client to obey it). Another example would be sending false data to other peers in hopes the peer's client's algorithm will put them next in line for data.

4) Your computer/HD's speed. Some clients use more CPU, or have poor write caching. They could be spending more time on other stuff than retrieving data from the internet.
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 17:10   Link #39
Kultur Sensei

Quote:
alright...so far, in reasearching the "best" BT client ive come up with this (as per experimental clients): ive tried shadow's experimental 5.8.7, ABC's 2.6.1, and Azureus 2.0.7.0.

1. azureus - good BT client. stacked with details, tweaks, and functionality (torrent queueing, fast resume, global upload capping, etc.). although, the complaints about memory usage is valid. the developers have fixed the big memory leak with the new updates via CVS, and the memory leaks were only associated with the beta versions of this client. version 2.0.7.0 is the stabilized version with more efficient memory useage.

my personal experience with this has been fair, im running a 2.8 gig processor, 447 MB of memory and still seem to experience slowdowns due to azureus. downloading batch files, or having several torrents running at once could turn into a gigantic headache (even with all the reccomended setting tweaks).

i have to mention that i hate the "ready" status. this means that you absolutly cannot start more downloads than you configured in the prefrences, without changing the prefrences itself (different with ABC).

the seeding options got the other clients beat hands down. this client is a dream for those who seed many torrents all the time.

overall, those who can afford memory / CPU usage, this is the best client around offering the most in depth features that may come at a high cost.

2. shadow's experimental 5.8.7 - this is a good client. better than using the generic client. offers mild tweaking (individual upload capping). overall...so-so.

3. ABC's 2.6.1 - ABC = great BT client. has most of the important features offered in azureus (torrent queueing, fast resume, global upload capping), and uses far less memory than azureus (about half).

also, you can specify how many downloads at one time, however unlike azureus, you can change the status of a queued torrent to download at any time, regardless of how many downloads at once you've allowed in the preferences.

SUMMARY
after experimenting with the three clients, i feel that ABC's BT client is the best overall. it may lack some of the "bells and whistles" that may come with azureus, but with ABC you get the most for your dollar (even though its all free ) .
Azureus 2.0.8.0 has just been released with many performance upgrades and bug fixes inculding the memory and cpu usage issues. Also you can now force a connection and not have to wait for it to que or have to reconfigure the que settings. You can read the entire changelog here: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/changelog_v2.php

I have only used early versions of shad0ws expermential and azureus and after using azureus i have found no reason to switch to anything else i dont see how it can get much better than this (expept a maybe if there was a client where u could chat with other leachers and seeders) the speeds are awsome, the ipfilter rock, plus all the plugins available are great (especially the safepeer plugin that keeps ur ip filter up to date).
Kultur Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 19:04   Link #40
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
I use shadows, not because of the flashyness or anything else. Yet because it works well. Im not saying its the best but it's reliable.

This works well in conjunction, with bit-comet.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote