AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2009-07-01, 05:27   Link #241
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
so the next SOTM's gonna be postponed?
or not?
The next SOTM will take place, with a slight delay. I'm working on the theme thread now, it will be stickied until the new Entry Thread goes up.

Quote:
well if majority agrees to change some rules and add some restrictions then it's fine by me

oh and I recommend that the theme should be explained at the first post of the SOTM- making phase, rather than the link so it'll be easy to find too
if not it's still okay
That's not a bad suggestion. It can possibly be worked in once the theme guidelines are ironed out.

There really aren't any rules changing or restrictions being added. It's more like we're creating an FAQ, something contestants can reference when they are working on their entry so that they don't have to constantly ask the theme creator if they are doing it right. This way the theme creator and the SOTM staff can spend more time on the overall contest instead of micromanaging every single entry for possible errors.
Old 2009-07-01, 05:36   Link #242
Frailty
Half-yōkai
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The next SOTM will take place, with a slight delay. I'm working on the theme thread now, it will be stickied until the new Entry Thread goes up.

That's not a bad suggestion. It can possibly be worked in once the theme guidelines are ironed out.

There really aren't any rules changing or restrictions being added. It's more like we're creating an FAQ, something contestants can reference when they are working on their entry so that they don't have to constantly ask the theme creator if they are doing it right. This way the theme creator and the SOTM staff can spend more time on the overall contest instead of micromanaging every single entry for possible errors.
as long as it continues, then great!

so you're gonna make a new sticky thread about the guidelines?

oh and I also recommend doing some final scanning of final entries before the voting thread to see if they are fitted for the theme to avoid confusion,..
cause it seemed many entries last month kinda "slipped" so yah~

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 05:47   Link #243
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
so you're gonna make a new sticky thread about the guidelines?
Nope, that's what this thread is for. The new thread is for discussing next month's theme. Which I just posted actually.

Tomorrow should bring some interesting reading.
Old 2009-07-13, 18:09   Link #244
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

I'm bumping this to ask that if this contest is still going on or not. I have a sig here to contribute and I'm just wondering if this contest has ended already.
Old 2009-07-13, 21:27   Link #245
CrowKenobi

Look below in the non-stickied thread area.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 15:13   Link #246
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Btw when is the contest every month starting?
Old 2009-08-19, 15:50   Link #247
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hs Vi Germania View Post
Btw when is the contest every month starting?
The results are announced on the last Sunday of the month (generally) and the entry phase starts as soon as possible after that. Exact time depends on how long does it take to decide a theme and theme description.
Old 2009-08-20, 06:37   Link #248
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
The results are announced on the last Sunday of the month (generally) and the entry phase starts as soon as possible after that. Exact time depends on how long does it take to decide a theme and theme description.
Ah, I see. Thank you.
Old 2009-09-03, 11:16   Link #249
Ascendancy
Mr. Fantastic

I've read up on the last few pages or so and before I go on, Solace; the signature your using has got to be the best signature i've seen by a user on here. Although, i think the "fantasia" ruins a it a bit; then again, it may be because i am not big fan of text.

-edit
i forget to ask, my signatures are well over the size limit of 50,000. Now, i know saving my signatures as JPEG would reduce their sizes, but it also ruins the signature itself. Small details are blurred out etc. I tend to avoid using brushes, instead I use c4ds, smudges and stocks for background. For example, the smudges on the left of the signature i am using, they would not be as clear as they are now if i use the JPEG format. Question is, i want to enter the SOTM but I can't meet this condition.

Last edited by Ascendancy; 2009-09-03 at 11:26.
Ascendancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 14:12   Link #250
White Manju Bun
Sempa.......
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendancy View Post
Question is, i want to enter the SOTM but I can't meet this condition.
Then you cant enter. As stated in the first post of every SOTM contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace
5. Entries must comply with Animesuki rules regarding signature size. This means each entry can be no larger than 500 x 160, and must be less than 50,000 bytes.
If you want to enter it has to meet this condition. And considering your current sig is over forum limits I suggest you change it before I do
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 21:06   Link #251
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

I have a question: can posters showing their votes actually become a "natural form" of vote rigging?

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 23:50   Link #252
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Please explain better..
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 00:09   Link #253
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I have a question: can posters showing their votes actually become a "natural form" of vote rigging?
Uhmmm... sorry? Pardon my ignorance but what's "rigging"?
Old 2010-03-01, 00:14   Link #254
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Uhmmm... sorry? Pardon my ignorance but what's "rigging"?
Basically cheating votes
Old 2010-03-01, 04:15   Link #255
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Ice Climbers says it: cheating. But in the case of posting your votes, it's an indirect cheat.
When people see one's votes, that person's perception of the best three will be influenced in one way, especially when the poster is famous. The votes eventually pile up and the winner will tend to be the first user to be voted by the people. I don't know if this is enough to be called as "jumping on the bandwagon", though.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 10:33   Link #256
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Well, for one thing.. its troublesome for the volunteers that keep moderating the SotM if we are to keep the voting private, 2ndly, this contest isnt about winning.. its generating interest toward graphic designs .. We have peoples who never tried graphics before but willing to join.. The main objective IMHO is the submission phase, where peoples posted WIP and other peoples giving C&C, you learn a lot of things.. And hopefully you improves on them.. The voting are simply the gloss.. Everybody wins in the end.

The contest are simply between caterpillars.. Hopefully, some of these caterpillars will turned into pretty butterflies one day
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 13:11   Link #257
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Well, for one thing.. its troublesome for the volunteers that keep moderating the SotM if we are to keep the voting private, 2ndly, this contest isnt about winning.. its generating interest toward graphic designs .. We have peoples who never tried graphics before but willing to join.. The main objective IMHO is the submission phase, where peoples posted WIP and other peoples giving C&C, you learn a lot of things.. And hopefully you improves on them.. The voting are simply the gloss.. Everybody wins in the end.
I second that, in fact, that's what I joined the SOTM and after almost 2 years of partisipating, my skills had improved a lot thanks to it.

Quote:
The contest are simply between caterpillars.. Hopefully, some of these caterpillars will turned into pretty butterflies one day
So, I'm a butterfly or a caterpillar?
Old 2010-03-01, 19:23   Link #258
White Manju Bun
Sempa.......
*Author

Quote:
I agree as well, Ive noticed an improvement in my sigs since I joined SOTM over a year ago and seen others improve as well.

Honestly I dont even look at what others vote until after I do my voting, mostly since I want to make sure I get all the numbers write so Solace doesnt track me down. Everything being in the first post is nice since usually I make decisions as I scroll down or already had a few in mind when being tallied in the submission thread. Like I said I dont think voting is an issue, its not like the same person is winning over and over and over, usually the contest is windspread with different top 3 people every month. Im not sure where all this voting problems topic came from?
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 21:12   Link #259
escimo
Paparazzi

I guess, I'll drop my two cents into the pot.

By what I gather the concern is whether the voting process affects the outcome. It might. Many things come to play in this kind of contests. Pitting any works of art against each other is always a very subjective matter and opens the possibility that votes might end up being cast more to the artist than the artwork itself. I don't see this as a bad thing necessarily.
Say you've been following the contest for some while and you have two signatures by two different artists. One a mediocre piece, in comparison to his or her previous works, by a far more experienced artist and one where a less experienced one has really exceeded oneself. Which would you think would be more deserving of a vote? I'd be inclined to vote for the "underdog". While objectively speaking the one by the more experienced artist might still be better technically and by artistic merits.

So as for artist being "famous" it just might be a double edged sword. When people are familiar with your other work it's quite easy to compare what ever you end up submitting not just with other entries but with the expectations of the quality of your work based on your preceding ones. Not to say that voting for your friends or just familiar household names might happen just as well. These are just part of any contest like this.

Then there's the question of preferences in terms of style. Something that is purely subjective matter. I think every single one of us votes at least to some extent based on the style of the sig.

To sum up, what are we actually voting on. The best? No. We're voting for the most liked and that's how it should be. Quite a few of us can call ourselves such an experts on the matter in hand that we could vote based on technical and artistic merits alone. I certainly wouldn't be on that committee.
This is not a murder trial, we're not here to weigh the evidence and make a decision on the winner by facts beyond any reasonable doubt.

All this is about is picking three of the sigs you like the best for what ever reasons that work for you and voting for them. And as long you can be happy about your votes, all is well.

If the goal would be to safeguard the objectivity of the contest there's very little that could be done to the voting process itself to ensure that. Having entries posted anonymously judged by a outside panel of experts, springs into mind. If something, that would take all the fun out of it and as KiNA stated this is not about winning or losing in the votes, this is about personal improvement and having fun in the process.

I can't come up with a single reason why an art contest even should be subjected to a purely objective process. Art as it turns out is probably among the most subjective matters you can find and so it should stay.

In the end of the day you go with your gut and that's all anybody can ask.

Whoa, this ended up becoming a novel...
Old 2010-03-02, 03:57   Link #260
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
All this is about is picking three of the sigs you like the best for what ever reasons that work for you and voting for them. And as long you can be happy about your votes, all is well.
This!

I would also like to add that I would be completely against the idea of a panel of judges to decide on the winners. >_<

Tags
contest, signature, sotm