AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2011-07-27, 03:11   Link #401
Frailty
Half-yōkai
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
I really don't think awarding SOTM winners rep points or a custom title is fair to the rest of the forum members, especially members who have zero interest in gfx. As this is not a strictly gfx forum, the circle who frequents fan creations and the SOTM competition is relatively small. Due to the much smaller percentage of participants in fan creations compared to the overall AnimeSuki Forum, it makes more sense for the reward to be something that refers solely to this subforum.
agreed
but there should be something given to the winners than just the opportunity to choose the next month's theme

like a custom user bar or something

and I suggest we make a thread about the previous winners like a hall of fame
for remembering purposes I guess?

just something to motivate more people to join~

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 04:18   Link #402
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
agreed
but there should be something given to the winners than just the opportunity to choose the next month's theme

like a custom user bar or something
User bar? Isn't that still the same idea as a custom title? It would again be a reward that only participants of the competition could get. What's to stop other competitions in the forum from also demanding special rewards like this, rewards that create further work for the already busy mods? If anything else, I would go back and instead support reputation points (like the Scavenger Hunt), since cookies are accepted all throughout the forum.
Quote:
and I suggest we make a thread about the previous winners like a hall of fame
for remembering purposes I guess?

just something to motivate more people to join~
Well, the previously mentioned Fan Creations Rules and Index already names off the winners for a limited number of months, but still needs to be updated.

I don't know if such changes need to be made as of yet, since the mods have already accepted increases to the sig limits for the competition. This already should open the door to artists who were reluctant to join. Maybe if this increase proves insufficient for higher participation, then changes to the reward system might be more understandable.

My Anime List

ISML
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 04:39   Link #403
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
I think the ability to pick the next theme and have your entry announced as the winner is more than enough. EMDAS runs on the same idea and we can't have certain people holding a plethora of visual trophies- it may scare away a lot of new competitors from even attempting an entry.

Good to hear the contest is coming back; I was afraid that it had ended just as I started learning to make signatures
Old 2011-07-27, 05:08   Link #404
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I don't see what's the problem with the rep reward. Most rep is completely undeserved anyway.
Old 2011-07-27, 05:15   Link #405
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I don't see what's the problem with the rep reward. Most rep is completely undeserved anyway.
That's a good idea as well, but I'd have to disagree on the latter half of your statement.

A member is (generally) not compelled to click that reputation button and leave a comment unless they've actually been assisted in some way. There are exceptions where people rep for jokes or pointless things, but the majority is as listed above. After all, what rep is better deserved than from a member who feels as if they want to thank another for their help?
Old 2011-07-27, 05:22   Link #406
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
That's a good idea as well, but I'd have to disagree on the latter half of your statement.

A member is (generally) not compelled to click that reputation button and leave a comment unless they've actually been assisted in some way. There are exceptions where people rep for jokes or pointless things, but the majority is as listed above. After all, what rep is better deserved than from a member who feels as if they want to thank another for their help?
That's my point. The rep system is/was designed to focus only on "good posts" not "assists" or "thanks for the avatar dude" and so on; however the bulk of it (at least for people with huge rep) is from those. If anything rep for winning the contest is actually closer to the original purpose, then what you usually get rep for.
Old 2011-07-27, 05:27   Link #407
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Don't mind me, not going against the logic of your point.

If that was how it was designed to be, I think "reputation" wouldn't have been the correct word to use. Your reputation precedes you, and a "good post" holds just as much weight as an "assist" or "thanks", I believe. What I think I'm curious about is, what constitutes that an assistance post or a fulfilled request isn't a "good post"?
Old 2011-07-27, 05:32   Link #408
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

There has to a certain "uniqueness" factor; you have to have contributed to the community, not the individual. If every post where I rep with "thanks" is a good post, then does that mean if I rep every post that replies to me with "thx4reply" their post is "good" and the rep is well deserved?
Old 2011-07-27, 05:48   Link #409
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
There has to a certain "uniqueness" factor; you have to have contributed to the community, not the individual. If every post where I rep with "thanks" is a good post, then does that mean if I rep every post that replies to me with "thx4reply" their post is "good" and the rep is well deserved?
That's kind of the thing though, people don't really do that. A "reputation" should point to how an individual interacts with other individuals AND the overall community. Everyone's well-minded enough to not rep every single post that can easily be answered with a "thank you", but to view positive rep for a signature/avatar request or disclosing helpful information as "undeserved" seems a little offsetting.

Either way, it's agreeable that we can't rep everything good and there should be a uniqueness factor set in place. While we're on the topic, if I rep somebody, do they have to rep me back at some point before I can rep them for something else? It sometimes doesn't allow me to give out rep to some people.

And now that all that is addressed, let's get off the topic to let this one breathe again.
Old 2011-07-27, 06:10   Link #410
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You can't rep the same person twice in a row, because like I said (ragardless of what anyone thinks it's used for) the system was not designed to gather "thankyou" notes. Usually the limit is set to something like 10 or so reps. No they don't have to rep you back or anything, you just have to rep another 9 people before giving them rep again.

But anyway, regardless, my point still stands: we treat the rep system like an all purpose sink, no reason not to use it for rewards. You might care about rep, but nobody really cares about anything but their own rep.

Quote:
Everyone's well-minded enough to not rep every single post that can easily be answered with a "thank you"
Trust me they aren't... if they were you wouldn't hear "IOU rep" comments so often.

Last edited by felix; 2011-07-28 at 01:39.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 18:56   Link #411
Rennir
Requiem of Dreams
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I really don't think awarding SOTM winners rep points or a custom title is fair to the rest of the forum members, especially members who have zero interest in gfx. As this is not a strictly gfx forum, the circle who frequents fan creations and the SOTM competition is relatively small. Due to the much smaller percentage of participants in fan creations compared to the overall AnimeSuki Forum, it makes more sense for the reward to be something that refers solely to this subforum.

I also don't see the point of adding yet another thread for the sole purpose of choosing themes. There's no reason why said discussion can't go on in this thread or at the tail end of each monthly competition before the new thread goes up for the next month. And if the mods keep the Forum Rules and Index's list of SOTM contests updated (which it hasn't been since 01/2010), it'll be easy to see what themes have already been done.

Anyways, thanks for the update, Solace. I look forward to the revamped competition, be it soon or much later.
I sincerely do not see how that rewarding rep is unfair (and I'm just trying to brainstorm for other incentives to draw interest ). I'm not even talking about huge sums like the reward for thew Scavenger hunt, which would probably make rep meaningless if reps of that quantity were rewarded each month. I'm thinking around 10-20 points for first and then decreasing progressively or something along those lines. Anyways, would you please explain to me how you see rewarding rep as unfair?

Also, maybe another possible award could be to allow the winner to circumvent AS avatar and sig rules for a month. That's pretty specific to this forum, no? I'd say that people who are involved in gfx generally protest the most as to the avatar and signature restrictions either due to file size or dimensions. The winner would be the only one allowed to bypass AS rules so there would be no need to worry about a plethora of other people doing the same. Furthermore, the privileges only last for 1 month, until the next winner of SOTM is decided, and those privileges would be transferred to that winner. Of course, there would also be a limit to how much a person can exceed the set AS restrictions so that they don't use multiple sigs or have a wallpaper or something along those lines. I'm thinking maybe 100kb for avatar size and 500x250 and 150kb for signatures? Those are just arbitrary numbers btw

And that's perfectly fine. I just think it would be more organized and easier to access if all the talk about potential SOTM themes were to be centered in one thread. I really don't have a preference either way.
Old 2011-07-27, 19:04   Link #412
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
If anything else, I would go back and instead support reputation points (like the Scavenger Hunt), since cookies are accepted all throughout the forum.

I don't know if such changes need to be made as of yet, since the mods have already accepted increases to the sig limits for the competition. This already should open the door to artists who were reluctant to join. Maybe if this increase proves insufficient for higher participation, then changes to the reward system might be more understandable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
I sincerely do not see how that rewarding rep is unfair (and I'm just trying to brainstorm for other incentives to draw interest ). I'm not even talking about huge sums like the reward for thew Scavenger hunt, which would probably make rep meaningless if reps of that quantity were rewarded each month. I'm thinking around 10-20 points for first and then decreasing progressively or something along those lines. Anyways, would you please explain to me how you see rewarding rep as unfair?
As you can see above, I replied later with some re-judging of my earlier comments on cookies.

My Anime List

ISML
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 21:17   Link #413
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Also, maybe another possible award could be to allow the winner to circumvent AS avatar and sig rules for a month. That's pretty specific to this forum, no? I'd say that people who are involved in gfx generally protest the most as to the avatar and signature restrictions either due to file size or dimensions. The winner would be the only one allowed to bypass AS rules so there would be no need to worry about a plethora of other people doing the same. Furthermore, the privileges only last for 1 month, until the next winner of SOTM is decided, and those privileges would be transferred to that winner. Of course, there would also be a limit to how much a person can exceed the set AS restrictions so that they don't use multiple sigs or have a wallpaper or something along those lines. I'm thinking maybe 100kb for avatar size and 500x250 and 150kb for signatures? Those are just arbitrary numbers btw

And that's perfectly fine. I just think it would be more organized and easier to access if all the talk about potential SOTM themes were to be centered in one thread. I really don't have a preference either way.
And how do you suppose this would work? A person sees another one with a sig that breaks the normal rules, does not know he won the SOTM and reports it to a mod => More work for the mod as now they have to check if they're allowed to break the rules or not. If you had a notification in user information that he won, it would be almost same as custom user title. Plus increasing the avatar rules is impossible since it's built-in to the forum software, else everyone would be able to use 150kb.

Personally I don't really mind the rep reward, though 50 points like in Scavenger Hunt is ridiculous. But then again, the original meaning of rep is lost if you get it for something like this... Well, it already is like felix explained <.<. A simple Hall of Fame thread would do the winners justice with each month's winner have his signature presented there or something.

Why do you even need rewards? This isn't a gfx forum only, and to have something to show off to others... bleh. I'm sure that the signature makers feel happy enough if they just manage to win. Do you seriously need a reward to attract more competitors? I thought some, if not all sig makers mostly participate to practice their sig making, get feedback on their work so far and how to improve it and such. There are some people that have never won yet still participate. Obviously they're not doing it just to win.
Old 2011-07-27, 21:27   Link #414
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

^ Agreeable. As I first mentioned, allowing the winner to choose the next theme and giving them the satisfaction of winning should be more than enough. As Dist mentioned, this isn't a graphics forum where signatures are a major aspect- this should just be a good way to polish one's skills and engage in a little friendly competition to gauge said skills.
Old 2011-07-28, 19:27   Link #415
Rennir
Requiem of Dreams
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
And how do you suppose this would work? A person sees another one with a sig that breaks the normal rules, does not know he won the SOTM and reports it to a mod => More work for the mod as now they have to check if they're allowed to break the rules or not. If you had a notification in user information that he won, it would be almost same as custom user title. Plus increasing the avatar rules is impossible since it's built-in to the forum software, else everyone would be able to use 150kb.

Personally I don't really mind the rep reward, though 50 points like in Scavenger Hunt is ridiculous. But then again, the original meaning of rep is lost if you get it for something like this... Well, it already is like felix explained <.<. A simple Hall of Fame thread would do the winners justice with each month's winner have his signature presented there or something.

Why do you even need rewards? This isn't a gfx forum only, and to have something to show off to others... bleh. I'm sure that the signature makers feel happy enough if they just manage to win. Do you seriously need a reward to attract more competitors? I thought some, if not all sig makers mostly participate to practice their sig making, get feedback on their work so far and how to improve it and such. There are some people that have never won yet still participate. Obviously they're not doing it just to win.
Chances are the winner will probably be reported a couple of times As for how it will work, I can't propose a perfectly apt solution as I have no idea of the limits of what vB can or cannot do. Ideally, any report of the user that has the word signature or sig or tag or some other variant automatically gets filtered out and deleted, but as I previously stated, I don't know whether or not this is possible.

Also, updating the Hall of Fame thread would also creates extra work

Well, Solace noted the apparent drop in participation in the SOTM, which is where the original idea about changing the entire format of the SOTM originated. You'll see the post a couple of pages back. I'm fine with the current reward. But other people suspected that the drop in participation was due to the fact that because the winner usually picked something that he/she liked, which may or may not reflect the interests of the rest of the gfx artists, the participation in the next month took a big drop. So I proposed to not let the winner choose the theme next month, but give them something else instead, rather than simply getting rid of any type of reward.

I, personally, don't need any type of reward to satisfy me. Knowing that I beat x number of entries in any particular month is enough satisfaction for me However, seeing as how some additional form of reward has been brought up repeatedly in this thread in the past, I'm assuming that other people want something more, or suspect that the reason of the drop in participation is an insufficient reward.

And while some people do gfx just out of passion, there are some who don't have such a noble reason.
Old 2011-07-29, 00:14   Link #416
Suomi
Kaiba

If we're talking prizes, what if the winner got a sig and avatar set or something?
From whom, I don't know, but...maybe a volunteer, the same or different each month? Just throwing that out there. Doesn't have to be fancy, could say "SOTM winner x month" and a character of their choice or something. If we didn't have a volunteer...well, we could deal with that when/if it came to that. Or another way.
And the theme could be picked by them still or by a community input, then chosen from that by popular vote or a mod? (within a certain period, maybe a week or so?)
Just an idea...
Personally, I'm happy the way it is but would be fine with it changing, I don't really care. I'm just in it to improve my gfx skills
Old 2011-09-12, 07:51   Link #417
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

So by now this contest is officially dead, yes?
Old 2011-09-12, 12:29   Link #418
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
So by now this contest is officially dead, yes?
I hope not.. I miss it.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 13:27   Link #419
The Drunk Demoman
~ fabulous ~

Send a message via MSN to The Drunk Demoman Send a message via Yahoo to The Drunk Demoman
Yeah, I was wondering as well where the SOTM thread is.

Someone should make one.
Old 2011-09-12, 14:32   Link #420
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Demoman View Post
Yeah, I was wondering as well where the SOTM thread is.

Someone should make one.
Can't bro. Solace has copyright and all that nonsense.

Tags
contest, signature, sotm