AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-16, 11:23   Link #41
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
Huh? Hentai and protecting children?

What's the link? I don't see it..

Here:

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articl...1/news097.html

Quote:
アグネス・チャンさんらが呼び掛け人として、いわゆる児童ポルノに反対する「なくそう!子どもポルノ」キャ ンペーンのネット署名受け付けが3月11日始まった。児童ポルノの単純所持の違法化や、アニメや漫画、ゲー ムなどで児童を性的に描いたものも「準児童ポルノ」として違法化するよう政府・国会に求めていく。キャンペ ーンにはマイクロソフトとヤフーが企業として賛同した。

同日、東京・永田町の衆院第2議員会館で開いた記者会見で、アグネス・チャンさんは「子どもへの性的虐待 は犯罪。ポルノを持ってもだめ、漫画を買って読んでもいけないと訴えていくべき」と話した。森山真弓元法相 は「自民党の小委員会では単純所持は禁止の方向で一致しており、今後具体的に進めていく」とし た。
Old 2008-03-16, 11:31   Link #42
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjoras View Post
They could just go another route... Try to sell Anime to people instead of having them DL Fansubs... or God-forbid; warez.
The trouble is that people will always go for fansubs. On average a fansub is released very quickly after the show airs in Japan. If you've never fansubbed I'll let you know that it is a rather large effort that involves at least five to seven people (unless you're combining subbing jobs). That's practically a miniature company right there, and each "job" has a general limit on how many active series the person can work on at a time (translators are generally the most limited, and I don't recall seeing any work on more than two series at a time without seriously risking burnout - and I've even worked with runpsicat, the fansubbing world's power translator ). In order to be releasing multiple series you need even more people.

Fansubbers do their stuff for free and without any true deadlines. There's a general goal of getting an episode out before the next one airs, but you don't really need to worry about getting fired for being late. And heck, you're doing it for free - being fired wouldn't make a difference. Would this work in a corporate setting? Having a single week to release produced episodes isn't really that stiff of a deadline, especially for dedicated staff, but because it is very team-oriented I could see how it'd make for a high-stress job (all you need is for someone early in the process to drop the ball, forcing everyone else to rush their parts). If corporate releases couldn't come out as quickly as fansubs, they lose. I've discussed the actual process behind subbing, but the other aspect is license negotiation. Fansubbers can do what they do because they skip that process entirely, but choosing a series to invest in and then negotiating with the Japanese company holding the rights to it is probably a lengthy ordeal... not to mention that it'd be a huge risk to sink money into a series without having a good ability to predict how it'll do. Fansubbers choose based on storyline and artwork; if a series sucks, they drop it or maybe finish it with low viewership. If a company pays money on a series they can't just abandon it, and low viewership means less returned money - in other words, that was a harmful investment. It'd make for an interesting company and if the leaders had a vision similar to many fans it just might work, but it's incredibly risky and I can't imagine such a company surviving for long.

Quote:
Think about it- DVD's and the extra stuff they try to add to make you buy it cost a lot, but eschew the extras, just go for the files. Save yourself like $10 there alone.
Weren't tapes about the same price as DVDs are now, before DVDs came out? I don't think the extras add on to the cost. DVD authoring itself might cost a bit (someone has to be paid to create the DVD menus and so on) but I don't know about the rest. I'm inclined to agree with raikage that the real cost of these things is that the company needs to make money back after buying the rights to the series.

The reason companies dislike releasing just the files is because it gives them a bit less control. If you have the physical DVD it takes specialized knowledge and effort to convert it into something that you can pass around to all your friends or the internet. If people can get something rather easily for free, why won't they? The physical product also offers something special that files alone don't - it's a physical product. People like the packaging, they like having something tangible. People are increasingly getting used to the idea of just having the data of the product but don't forget that there are plenty of others who do want the product in its entirety.
Old 2008-03-16, 11:34   Link #43
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
don't forget that there are plenty of others who do want the product in its entirety.
And don't forget that there are plenty of others who can't even get, locally, the product in its entirety

(Even when fansubs have already proven that it's possible to serve an international populatin quite effectively).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 15:50   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Japanese ISPs To Cut Net Access For File Sharers

reference: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/15/2243235
ref source: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national...15TDY01305.htm

Wasn't quite sure where this was best placed in the forums, but it might start getting a little bit more difficult for our fansubbers to acquire raw source - so making alternative plans in advance might be a Good Idea.

It does appear that 99.9% of what the articles are going on about is actually "warez" (software games, music rips) ... but since the same protocols (winny, etc) are often used to exchange anime-video files, there could be some bumps in the acquisition channels.

Mods, if this seems to be just a news story (scratching my head about whether discussion can be made of this), perhaps you can better decide where it belongs.
Old 2008-03-16, 15:58   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
reference: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/15/2243235
ref source: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national...15TDY01305.htm

Wasn't quite sure where this was best placed in the forums, but it might start getting a little bit more difficult for our fansubbers to acquire raw source - so making alternative plans in advance might be a Good Idea.

It does appear that 99.9% of what the articles are going on about is actually "warez" (software games, music rips) ... but since the same protocols (winny, etc) are often used to exchange anime-video files, there could be some bumps in the acquisition channels.

Mods, if this seems to be just a news story (scratching my head about whether discussion can be made of this), perhaps you can better decide where it belongs.
That sounds contrary to everything I've ever been taught about business.

It's funny because the ISPs in Canada really couldn't care less. I asked the guy who installed my cable whether they throttle Bittorent downloads and he said he didn't think so without even blinking. Later I found out they did (I've since rectified this), but only during peak hours so it doesn't kill the service in a given area. Cogeco even provides it's own newsgroups for filesharing and such, albeit a really crappy one.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 16:00   Link #46
cyth
ふひひ

There have been two topics already in General Chat or whatever.
Old 2008-03-16, 16:00   Link #47
Ending

Doesn't surprise me. For example, Britain and Finland are starting to take steps to censor the Internet content in the shadow of protecting children and copyright holders. At least it's not as bad as in China, UAE, or Iran, but it's really sad to see the basic principle of Internet being pissed on by the authorities: the free flow of information.

On the other hand, there are always counter-measures to bypass the artificial limitations. I hope to be one of the first using them no matter the possible consequences.

(And yes: this has been posted recently in another topic.)
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 16:56   Link #48
Okadashi
GundamGoraku.net

Send a message via AIM to Okadashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanner Falcon View Post
It won't work.

If there are more geniuses who use bittorent than people who'll stop them, tools will simply evolve to face the threat.
True, when napster died, kazaa, bearshare and etc... arose. Then came IRC, then came torrents.
Okadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 17:22   Link #49
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

mIRC existed before Napster and Kazaa etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Cogeco even provides it's own newsgroups for filesharing and such, albeit a really crappy one.
Sounds like my ISP, heck they even advertise that you can download movies and music with high speeds.

At the end of the day file-sharers are like the Borg from the Star Trek franchise, they will adapt, any new technological distinctiveness will be added to their own, resistance is futile.

Its sad but true.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 19:01   Link #50
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
mIRC existed before Napster and Kazaa etc.
IRC existed long before mIRC.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 19:26   Link #51
Slice of Life
eyewitness

IRC is a protocol, DCC is a related protocol, mIRC is just an IRC client for MS Windows.
Old 2008-03-16, 21:23   Link #52
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thanks, Epyon and Slice.... that kind of made my head hurt
(first logged into irc server cloud using ircii in 1990....)
Old 2008-03-16, 21:34   Link #53
mangatron
Oneesan's FTW!

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
of course its ok! cousins and extended family
Heh, I thought we all came from Adam. Hey wait, that would make me your relative. That means it's safe to upload my "home video's" to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbytay View Post
Is hentai even hurting "children"?
I thought it was saving them. I mean, heck, I thought hentai promotes "childbirth" what with all the "internal action"

And please, please nobody say "there's always eMule". Oh....crap..... why do I do this to myself all the time...

THOSE LEGS <3
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
-*mangatron's Holiday 2014 haul
-*Feel My Birthday 2015
-*RIP my last Hermit Crab, 2011-2015
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 05:57   Link #54
Slice of Life
eyewitness

ZOMG Hentai ban

*sigh* The subject is OT as hell in this thread here but it seems it is here to stay. So to put some wrong information right: the issue is not about banning "hentai" but graphical depictions of child abuse. The reasons they give are the same as always AFAIK. Hint:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron
... promotes ...
is the key word. This might be discussion-worthy, just not here.

Back to topic. File sharing is here to stay.

Except, of course, if we lose our right to privacy. Either against the state or an oligopoly of ISPs backed by the media industry, that makes no practical difference in my eyes. Don't fool yourself that this is not a real danger. All they have to do is forbid encryption for the private user for example.

Even if file sharing does hurt the anime industry and even if they go down in flames with Warner and Universal following behind this does not outweight the loss of freedom of communication.
Old 2008-03-17, 12:45   Link #55
DestinyFate
Shana <3

Money is the root of all evil. This just shows how money faced they are.

and I laughed at the part on amount of money lost. Will the same number of people download the file if it costs money? They don't even have common sense.
Old 2008-03-17, 13:38   Link #56
gabbytay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinyFate View Post
Money is the root of all evil. This just shows how money faced they are.

and I laughed at the part on amount of money lost. Will the same number of people download the file if it costs money? They don't even have common sense.
Money is not the root of all evil its a simple misconception.
gabbytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 14:02   Link #57
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Perhaps it would be wiser to say "money is the reflection/representation of all evil"?

Not that I agree with that overly simplified view, but my inner Marxist sure would like to think so.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 14:36   Link #58
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
The love of money is the root of all evil.

More on topic...
There is a bit more perspective on these stories from Danny Choo:
http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/...ring+in+Japan/

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 14:50   Link #59
DestinyFate
Shana <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
The love of money is the root of all evil.

More on topic...
There is a bit more perspective on these stories from Danny Choo:
http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/...ring+in+Japan/
Or rather, the Greed for money is the root of all evil.
Old 2008-03-18, 10:44   Link #60
Crontica

hah they are wasting their time. battling the internet. this plan will phail in less than a week you cant stop P2P networks people WILL find a way to download files again

Last edited by Crontica; 2008-03-18 at 10:54.
Crontica is offline   Reply With Quote