AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-05-03, 06:19   Link #201
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

x_X

I wonder how many peoples know about this site

^^
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 10:39   Link #202
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I've got an even better website (free AND libre software instead of just freeware).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 14:12   Link #203
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Since we're still giving out useful dl places, here are two more for the fun:

- Betanews: freewares, adwares, open sources, commercial demos, sharewares, etc - one hell of a sprawling dl-mart, complete with even definition files for antiviruses, release candidates, betas and the like.
- Filehippo: freewares, open sources, commercial demos, sharewares - less extensive than betanews, but it's easier to find the currently most well-known pieces of software; it even comes with its downloadable update warning system.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2008-05-03 at 14:25.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 22:59   Link #204
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Now I feel so small

But in my defence, the link I gave are actually paid software but given for free. If you download it within 24 hours
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-05-04, 04:22   Link #205
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I might as well ask here =3

Im willing to give a go at converting MKV to AVI again and had a question about the proposed programs in this and other threads
In the past i had a problem when converting that either the size of the file would rapidly increase to a point where i couldnt even render it anymore (virtual dub bla that was) or that the quality went back rapidly (that was with what i think was riverpast video converter)
I hate the hassle of using one program to split vid, audio and subs and another to paste them back together and was wondering which would be recommended for easy use, normal file size (no over sizing) and that doesnt throw back the quality (instead keeps it the same or atleased near the same quality)
this so that i wont be stuck testing out every single one of those programs XD

edit: might want to add that the guide posted int he convert topic wont work for me anyway cause I dont use the NTSC format, i use PAL

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2008-05-04 at 09:54.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 14:49   Link #206
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

I want a good frame capture software with good support for 1280x720 mkv files.

virtualdub and virtualdubmod not work with mkv files.

I used with some success FrameShots but this software fail to take frame per frame in mkv files

I tried the google but only find generic screen capture, and convert mkv to avi.

Thanks for any help.
Old 2008-05-05, 17:12   Link #207
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

mplayer can grab a sequence of frames and save them in .png, .gif, .jpeg, or even as an animated gif ("gif89a"). Unfortunately you'd have to get used to using the command prompt (Start > Run > type "cmd", hit enter).

I can save a sequence of frames with the command
Code:
mplayer -vo png -ao null -ss hh:mm:ss -endpos nnsec file.mkv
This saves the sequence that starts at hh:mm:ss and lasts for nnsec seconds as a sequence of numbered png files. Replacing "png" with "gif" or "jpeg" creates the equivalent sequence in those formats. Using "gif89a" results in a single animated gif containing all the frames. If the Matroska file uses softsubs, they won't appear in the frames unless you specifically ask for them by adding "-sid 0" to the list of options in the command above.

There are versions of mplayer for Windows, Macs, and Linux here. There are also some "GUIs" for Windows users there, though I don't know if they handle frame captures. You'll also need to download the codecs; see the page I linked to for details.

Another solution might be VLC.
Old 2008-05-06, 18:13   Link #208
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Thanks SeijiSensei, I will try your tip.

Yet I have hope to see a similar software to Frameshots, but better.

Edit: Forget. I follow this tutorial: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=431070

It works now.

Last edited by Rhyel; 2008-05-10 at 09:04.
Rhyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 04:05   Link #209
Rasqual Twilight
~Walking on the Milkyway~

Note-Taking / Outlining

KeyNote
¤Free

Homepage Screenshot
Description: Hierarchical note-taking software, that uses Rich-Text Format to change size, color and indentation of text. Open-Source Software (MPL) written in Delphi, but development has been discontinued.
Supported Operating Systems: Windows

The Guide
¤Free

Homepage Screenshot
Description: In major points similar to KeyNote (but still under development). Apache2 License, C++.
Supported Operating Systems: Windows

FreeMind
¤Free

Homepage Wiki Screenshot
Description: A mind-mapping software which allows to organize contents according to how they relate to a topic or idea. GPL'd, Java.
Supported Operating Systems: Any Java/Swing capable client
Alternatives: TuxCards (GPL, Qt C++), Outliner (Free /private use), KnowIt (GPL, unmaintained?)

Last edited by Rasqual Twilight; 2008-05-10 at 04:15.
Rasqual Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 17:34   Link #210
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Now I feel so small

But in my defence, the link I gave are actually paid software but given for free. If you download it within 24 hours
Urr... does that include Adobe Photoshop CS3?
Old 2008-05-10, 23:44   Link #211
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

If CS3 worth around 20 bucks.. I'm sure there's a chance one day
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-05-11, 01:35   Link #212
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Urr... does that include Adobe Photoshop CS3?
It's not Photoshop, but unless you are a professional of some sort, this might be more than enough for your imaging needs. And it's completely free, as in speech and as in beer.

Old 2008-05-13, 00:30   Link #213
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Can I get someone's recommendation on an RSS feed application? I'm not sure how RSS feeds work, but based on my limited knowledge about it right now, can I get something that is not related to a browser? I can just open the app and it will update whatever information... I hope i'm getting this right.
Old 2008-05-13, 00:56   Link #214
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Can I get someone's recommendation on an RSS feed application? I'm not sure how RSS feeds work, but based on my limited knowledge about it right now, can I get something that is not related to a browser? I can just open the app and it will update whatever information... I hope i'm getting this right.
RSS aggregators simply gather all your feeds in a centralized location and, depending on the websites, you may read the piece of news/blog post/whatever without opening the browser and go to the actual site. However, keep in mind that some sites only include very limited blurbs in their RSS feeds, and if you want to see the whole post, you have to visit the website, which is kinda annoying.

I use Akregator on Linux which is conveniently integrated with Konqueror so I don't have to open a separate window for the browser whenever I click on a link, but I'm taking the guess that you're running on Windows, so I really wouldn't know what to recommend you.

You could wait till they port Akregator and Konqueror along with KDE 4 to Windows

Old 2008-05-13, 00:59   Link #215
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Yah... i'm using windows xp and I hate having to visit all these trackers... I mean as long as i see something NEW, it serves its purpose...
Old 2008-05-20, 09:16   Link #216
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Looking for a Torrent client

Hello. I suppose this is the most suitable place to ask this. And that a new thread isn't necessary.

I'm looking for a Torrent client. I'm currently still using µTorrent 1.6.1 due to the newer µTorrent released being less safe to use, or so i heard. So that is why i'm using a older µTorrent. Though unfortunately the old µTorrent has one issue. The issue would be the Disk Cache usage. For regular users with a average connection the disk cache would be fine. But from time to time i download from my university and speed of 4mb down/up a second isn't unusual.

With high up and down speeds the HD has troubles keeping up with the read/write actions. And that is what i assume the disk cache is for. But regardless of what settings i try with µTorrent i still see my hard disk having a lot of activity. Even assigning 1024MB of Ram to cache the hard disk activity doesn't seem to change much and opening programs is still slow.

What i rather have would be that the torrent client loads the file in ram in chunks of 50mb or any size to minimize the strain on the harddisk. And after that write it to disk. Same goes for reading. And not constantly accessing my hard disk for pieces to upload and writing finishing pieces.

I don't really care that it's not secure in case of pc crash(all data in ram gone). I just want my hard disk to be spared and being able to use the pc when downloading at high speed.

So looking for a torrent client for Windows XP that meets the following requirements:
- Good cache management.
- Low resource like µTorrent (ignore the cache usage swallowing ram)
- Easy to use. Hopefully somewhat similar to Utorrent in use.

Thanks in advance

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 06:12   Link #217
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
I'm currently still using µTorrent 1.6.1 due to the newer µTorrent released being less safe to use, or so i heard.
You heard wrong and your more safer using the most current version of µtorrent since the version your using has a vulnerability that has been fixed in the later versions (and what you heard was scaremongering from people who are as thick as two planks of wood).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 09:36   Link #218
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
You heard wrong and your more safer using the most current version of µtorrent since the version your using has a vulnerability that has been fixed in the later versions (and what you heard was scaremongering from people who are as thick as two planks of wood).
Ok, so if it really is scaremongering. The other most important requirement still stands. Does the newer µtorrent manage the cache better? I don't have any problems with my current version except for the cache usage not being like i expected a cache would be.

Old 2008-05-22, 07:11   Link #219
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Ok, so if it really is scaremongering. The other most important requirement still stands. Does the newer µtorrent manage the cache better? I don't have any problems with my current version except for the cache usage not being like i expected a cache would be.
Well I'm on 1.7.5 and I don't have any cache problems (although I never had any when I was on 1.6) but if memory serves the disc cache problem was one of the things that was fixed in 1.7 (although I can't completely vouch for that since I only have a 2MB/s download line).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 09:27   Link #220
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Not actually a problem. And not something most users would have a problem with unless they have really fast connection and reach up and downs of a few mb/s. But i'll just upgrade and put it to the test to see if it works better.

Thanks

Tags
software