AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-06-02, 05:20   Link #401
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
I don't know where you got the idea that low resource usage automatically equals 'bad'. NOD32 is always one of the top 3 anti-virus programs for highest detection rates with least false positives.

Their Smart Security suite is also supposed to be good. Granted, I have the firm belief that software firewalls are useless to begin with except for their their logging capabilities or if you have to need to block a program's access to the net. Though real-world, there should never be a need to block a legitimate program's net access.

Remember that no matter how good your anti-virus or firewall is, they do not provide idiot protection. The user is always the weakest link. You should give your friends a lecture about how to employ better security practices in order to avoid being infected by viruses/trojans in the first place.

For example, I use NOD32 anti-virus (not Smart Security), with no software firewall, and only my router firewall. In addition I use NoScript (with lots of manual exceptions) and Adblock Plus in Firefox to protect my browsing from malicious ads and scripts. Around 99% of the time I have NOD32's real-time scanning disabled considering real-time scanning is useless if there is no risk of being infected in the first place. The only time I enable it is when I'm doing something which could be potentially at risk, just to be safe. The main reason I keep NOD32 around is for On-Demand scanning, and it does its job well in detecting viruses. For the past 5 years I've been doing this same thing, and even though I'm in no way goody two-shoes, by making smart decisions I have only gotten infected by a single virus. And whose fault was it? My anti-virus? NO. My firewall? NO. Then who is to blame? Myself. I chose to ignore what NOD32 was reporting and executed something I shouldn't have.

To sum up my story, anti-virus programs and firewalls are only helpers, they should never be viewed as end-all preventive measures from being infected. The people who believe they are bullet-proof are the ones who end up with loads of viruses and trojans on their machines. When the user makes intelligent security decisions along with the use of a good anti-virus like NOD32, they should never be infected.
In other words, i can still use Online Armor or any other low resource firewall as long as i'm smart enough to know what i can & cannot do to my PC, right?
Old 2009-06-02, 06:26   Link #402
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
When the user makes intelligent security decisions along with the use of a good anti-virus like NOD32, they should never be infected.
I love your opinion, if I understand correctly you are not secure with a antivirus and firewall who actually can tell what's going on with your 1s and 0s, but if you turn them both off and rely on your 6th sense your bullet-proof!? By god you are a genious!

Statistically I find that at least at the present time, bot nets and other such phenomenon are far more common then viruses meant to effectively screw your computer (which are among the rarest things there are; yet the most hyped), even pranks are more common. I can only imagine your computer is a nice bot/spam hore by now since you are completly ignoring network traffic as well as program traffic which is 99% of the time where all your shit comes from, NOT firefox/internet explorer and random links you click for god sake (that's only the populary advertised in hackme contests).

This security though "security best practices" is something that comes up all too often and is probably the most missguided advice about how to protect yourself there is. To run less risk is not protection at all! it is simply good policy. You can be the biggest geek in the world, sorry nobody is that good to just guess security, a major part of the problem is you often don't go to the trojans/virasuses they come to you.

Dependency on any security system based on the secrecy and policies in its implementation is a decition you will eventually come to regret.

Also, I did not say low resource = bad, what I meant was: if a program advertises its low resource consumtion rather then security features, then its probably lacking something and you should be careful.
Old 2009-06-02, 12:02   Link #403
cyberbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
This security though "security best practices" is something that comes up all too often and is probably the most missguided advice about how to protect yourself there is.

Also, I did not say low resource = bad, what I meant was: if a program advertises its low resource consumtion rather then security features, then its probably lacking something and you should be careful.
I think you completely missed the point of my post. I do not believe I am bullet-proof. I said the people that do believe they are bullet-proof and depend on their security programs alone are the ones who become infected. I don't get infected because I don't do stupid things that are just asking to get you infected, and I take the necessary precautions when needed, since I know the limitations of security programs and that I am not bullet-proof. That alone will reduce your chance of ever being infected by an insane amount. Not once have I ever seen a virus come to someone on their own, unless they are on a local network, their machine is unpatched, or someone is specifically trying to hack that machine. My machine is neither, and the chance of a hacker singling out just your machine is pretty slim most of the time. Out of all the people I know, not once have I seen someone be infected by a virus that was not user error to some extent.

I am protected by an anti-virus as I do on-demand scanning on my whole computer and specific files as well as enable real-time scanning when needed. I also watch my traffic and 100% of the time my connection is completely idle if I'm not doing anything. My router firewall + NAT blocks almost everything to begin with unless I have a specific rule and forwarding set to not block something. It also logs the traffic. In addition to all that I use autoruns to keep an eye on and restrict various third-party programs and drivers from startup and even occasionally manually scour common virus locations on my machine (Docs&Settings/Windows dir/Program Files & Common Files/Temp files) for newly created files which don't belong. I also have a very minimalistic approach to programs I allow on my machine. In general I only allow big-name reputable programs as well as the occasional small yet useful programs to ever get installed or run on my machine. To top it all off, since I run WinXP SP3, twice a year I do a format + clean install of WinXP, to always keep things running fresh and get rid of all the registry and driver junk that builds up over time.

There is no sixth sense about it. It's all about not being an idiot about security. My major in college also happens to be Network Security. Nearly everybody going through that program which I asked, had the same philosophy to anti-virus and software firewalls as I did for their home machines (corporate machines and machines which are not your own are a whole different story). And guess what, they very rarely, if ever, get infected either, there is no luck about it. There is more to this "security best practices" then you think.

To touch on the other issue, in most cases I find low resource usage to be more of a sign of efficient coding. Still point taken on security programs that nowhere advertise their great security but rather their low resource usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
In other words, i can still use Online Armor or any other low resource firewall as long as i'm smart enough to know what i can & cannot do to my PC, right?
I wouldn't use it. Personally, the only software firewall I've ever liked and would actually choose to put on my machine is Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro, though I have no idea how good their free solution is. If you're going to use a software firewall, you want something robust that won't fail leak tests.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 2009-06-02 at 13:25.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 12:44   Link #404
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
I wouldn't use it. Personally, the only software firewall I've ever liked and would actually choose to put on my machine is Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro, though I have no idea how good their free solution is. If you're going to use a software firewall, you want something robust that won't fail leak tests.
"See's post above"
Looks like i'm going to update a new version of Comodo.
Old 2009-06-02, 18:31   Link #405
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Usually security programs can stop malware, but in the end of the day, security software cannot stop user error, which cause some percentage of malware installation. Vista from my experience is alot more secure than XP due to improvements like UAC, which seperates the admin rights and prompts for user permissions like in Linux/Unix/OSX which have been a weakness since XP runs in admin mode which can cause malware install alot easier which is why I tell people to use a normal user account since most day to day task doesn't require admin privilages.
Old 2009-07-13, 15:05   Link #406
velvet nightmare

right now i want to start learning to make (simple) avatars and sigs., and the last time i attempted this i was using photoshop 7.0 (years back)

i was wondering if i should just keep using this or are there any better alternatives at all that i can dl
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 15:11   Link #407
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Better to use Photoshop 7 I would say. All the free alternatives don't come close, although I do enjoy using Paint.NET for that quick crop/tweak on a random image I saved, for anything that's going to take more then 30s PS is still king. That said I have Photoshop CS2 installed and CS3 (CS4 can bite me for now) because for processing animated stuff like gifs etc ImageReady which comes with Photoshop (and I believe 7 as well) is still far superior and I'm not going to use the inferior product Photoshop CS3 for that purpose if I don't really have to.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Old 2009-07-13, 18:15   Link #408
velvet nightmare

what's the difference between photoshop 7 and the CS versions?
Old 2009-07-13, 19:42   Link #409
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
The newer versions have more features and improvements, supports more file types (like RAW and also 3ds files with CS3/4 Extended versions) and support for newer operating systems and processors. If you don't use those features, you typically don't need CS3/4 unless you are planning to edit photos or need the newer features.
Old 2009-07-13, 23:01   Link #410
velvet nightmare

ok thanks for the help guys, i will see if i can manage with photoshop7 alone
Old 2009-08-11, 08:45   Link #411
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Hi im not sure if this is the right place to ask but ive recently downloaded some files in mkv format and they wont play.

can anyone help with what i should do?
Old 2009-08-11, 08:48   Link #412
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
Hi im not sure if this is the right place to ask but ive recently downloaded some files in mkv format and they wont play.

Which media player are you using? Do you have any codecs installed?

If the answer to the latter is negative, you should either download VLC player or K-Lite codec pack (if you prefer to continue using Windows Media Player). Either one should do the trick.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 09:45   Link #413
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Quote:

You might want to check out this thread.

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-21, 07:02   Link #414
toru310

I need a program, windows xp virtual machine I don't know whats it called ..where can I find one?
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-21, 08:00   Link #415
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by toru310 View Post
I need a program, windows xp virtual machine I don't know whats it called ..where can I find one?
You need a program to do what? Make a virtual machine so you can install an OS? I use virtualBox.
Old 2009-08-21, 09:04   Link #416
toru310

Thanks I found one
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 08:44   Link #417
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
I wonder if there is a better (and I need one) software/app out there that's better than Finale Notepad. This application lets you "digitalize" music sheets so you can run them on your computer for future viewing, editing, listening, and saving it as a MIDI object.

Thanks! =)
Old 2009-08-28, 10:28   Link #418
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Well, how about MuseScore? It have all of the feature from Finale NotePad and is also a free and open source software.

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 07:52   Link #419
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
Okay thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 2009-08-31, 08:48   Link #420
Wervy
Cutely Pervy

Quote:

Might want to try CCCP, the combined community codec pack. Generally it will play just about anything and you dont need to know anything or be selective when installing it since it only installs what you need. Fewer codecs = Fewer problems

Tags
software