AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-01-11, 18:10   Link #101
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
He asked for free. SmartFTP is only free for 30 days.
SmartFTP is actually free forever (for non-commercial use). You just have to deal with the one popup that says "omg this is a trial version, do you want to buy it?" every start up. Every now and then it will require you to update to the newest version, otherwise free forever.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 21:35   Link #102
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about one of the Firefox FTP plugins on this page?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...q=ftp&status=4

I gave FireFTP a quick run, and it looks pretty full-featured.
Old 2008-01-12, 06:16   Link #103
Eric the Grey

An addition to the backup software mentioned here, I'd like to add two, one free and one paid:

Free:

Partimage. This Linux based program boots from a CD and allows you to back your drive or partition to another drive on the same system, or another system (server) altogether. It can be downloaded as part of the System Rescue CD, which is another great set of tools. One warning however for these, they are highly technical and require at least a basic working knowledge of the Linux command line.

Paid:

Norton Save and Restore is the single easiest backup and restore products I have ever seen. This, combined with an external hard drive to save your files to is my number 1 recommendation for home users who want a backup system. I don't want to sound like a Symantec spokesman, but I use it myself, and have restored my laptop twice, once the entire OS, and once just my documents (when I changed out the HD) and had no problems.

Eric the Grey
Eric the Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 15:33   Link #104
Jub3i
Golden Shinobi Member

Thanks for the recommendations for the FTP software. I'll check those out.
Jub3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 17:38   Link #105
tohrukun37

Hello,

This is my first post as far as software goes. I have a found a great way to convert almost any format to dvd. The program is called DVD FLick. Here is the website: http://www.dvdflick.net/ . It is a free program that will encode both video and audio and burns it to disc. I prefer to use dvd rw just in case something gets licensed. It will also erase your dvdrw as well. Stay tune for more information. I know they have there own forums as well for help.
tohrukun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 03:28   Link #106
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Can anyone recommend any software for ripping Flash animations? All I've been able to find are flash rippers designated for Youtube or other popular flash video sites.

I used to be able to extract flash animations directly, but I seem to have forgotten how. Or perhaps sites these days are doing a better job of making it harder to do....

I'd prefer software for Mac OS X, but can just as easily use Windows or Linux software. Thanks!
Old 2008-02-18, 13:13   Link #107
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Can anyone recommend any software for ripping Flash animations? All I've been able to find are flash rippers designated for Youtube or other popular flash video sites.

I used to be able to extract flash animations directly, but I seem to have forgotten how. Or perhaps sites these days are doing a better job of making it harder to do....

I'd prefer software for Mac OS X, but can just as easily use Windows or Linux software. Thanks!
Open the Activity window in Safari, select the .swf file you want to save, and double click it. It'll open in its own window. From there you can save the file.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 13:37   Link #108
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Hmm, the site seems to have a script in place to guard against that ("hotlinking"). Here's an example animation that I'm trying to get: http://z0r.de/?id=31

Is the only recourse to go through the cache directory, then?
Old 2008-02-18, 14:41   Link #109
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Only Ctrl+Shift+S (save content)
Other then that, probably not.
Old 2008-02-18, 14:44   Link #110
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Well, I have Firefox with NoScript, and since it blocks flash by default, I could just right-click and save the flash file without problems.

EDIT: Picture related: http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/1...veflashii2.png
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 14:49   Link #111
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

My experience with NoScript is really bad. It's one of those Fx plug-ins I'd recommend people avoid. For all the supposed "good" it does it sure makes it look like I'm infected with shit load of crap when its running. I also experience the occasional crash when using it. Just my personal experience...
Old 2008-02-18, 14:56   Link #112
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
Well, I have Firefox with NoScript, and since it blocks flash by default, I could just right-click and save the flash file without problems.

EDIT: Picture related: http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/1...veflashii2.png
I don't use Firefox, but I'm also not convinced that would work. I've extracted the full link and attempted to do a direct download of it from Opera, and I always get a 12 KB file of nothing, rather than the flash file itself. Are you able to download the flash file?
Old 2008-02-18, 14:57   Link #113
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Hmm, the site seems to have a script in place to guard against that ("hotlinking"). Here's an example animation that I'm trying to get: http://z0r.de/?id=31
This site in particular has the links of the embedded videos right in the page source.
http://z0r.de/L/31.swf
Old 2008-02-18, 15:00   Link #114
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflection View Post
This site in particular has the links of the embedded videos right in the page source.
http://z0r.de/L/31.swf
Try to download it - you get their "hotlinking not allowed" flash animation instead (12 KB file). Are you able to download the actual animation to your computer?

For now I can get around it by using Opera's "save as a single file" feature (saves the entire page as a .mht file) - but that saves everything else as well.
Old 2008-02-18, 15:05   Link #115
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
I'm not a coder of any sort, so I can't tell what sort of script they're using to accomplish that block. But whatever it is, Firefox seems to nullify it and so I can download it with no problems.

Edit: Heh, funny. I can't even view the page with IE7 without the hotlinking animation playing.

Last edited by reflection; 2008-02-19 at 00:25.
reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 00:32   Link #116
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

I am very surprised only one person mentions Foobar2000. It is one of very few audio player (if it is not only) that allow you to bypass that lame windows kennel mixer in Vista (using one add-on)for bit-exact playback. It is the probably the best audio player available.
Old 2008-02-22, 09:29   Link #117
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Yes, and one of the more efficitent little ones out there. A sort of uTorrent of the audio players. Since there's been a growing CPU/RAM spike in winamp lately (and other programs as well) I think I'll add it there as the first listed, with winamp the second.

Thanks of the add-on info, didn't know that about it.

I've been meaning to revise some of the options anyway. As it were, some items on the list have caught Vista-sindrom and their usefulness has become obsolete or questionable. A lot of the new things mentioned above also need to be verified and added. Also some of the information would probably be better suited as a appendix, or extra reference.
Old 2008-02-22, 11:42   Link #118
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
@Ledgem: A bit late reply... In windows, I've used Fiddler http debugger to capture all http connections, find the flash video I want to save, and made a local copy that way.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 15:02   Link #119
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

I'd like a few suggestions for antivirus and internet security suites if you'd kindly oblige me, as I'm kind of stuck after reading so many contradicting and confusing reviews from a half-dozen free/shareware/commercial demo-hosting sites.

I've been using BitDefender IS v10 for a few months already and I still have at least one year worth of free updates but I'm wondering whether I shouldn't already scout for other possibilities - I'll say why further down in my post. Also, I'm not averse to hearing a few suggestions on firewalls, as avoiding the menaces in the first place is one of the first ways to keep yourself clean from any e-blemish. Freeware, paid software - doesn't exactly matter. I'm all ears.

Here're the hearsays and impressions I got from certain product profiles - maybe someone could help me debunk them, if need be and tell me which pro(s) outweigh(s) its respective con(s).

- AVIRA Antivir: okay, I heard some good reviews about this one, but most others put it either as average or let's say, that it's okay, just one of many ducks in a pond.

- Avast! v4.7: Heard lotsa good things about it, with on the plus side that there's a free edition provided on the website. However, friend of mine had its PC attacked by a virus (more than 98 files as infected as a rotting corpse) and the removal system just sucked royally. For him it was a no-go while another one of my buddies sang Avast's praises high over his head. One site I went to had a 3.2/3.5 out of 5 overall score but other areas I go to once in a while consider it as the next best thing since sliced bread, and even moreso as it's available for free personal use. It also doesn't help that certain reviewers feel that if their AV lets one specific malware slip through the net, then the product should be cursed to a thousand years of suffering - while I can't deny them the right to complain (after all, if it didn't work, then it didn't do its job, period), it's starting to tip the scales of my judgment in an unnerving manner.

- BitDefender v10 & 2008. Okay, when I bought v9 a while ago I had problems - I had just received a wifi connection and I went to happily lurk around without a safe amount of precautions, which ultimately led me to catch a few nasty things and have to reinstall Windows over and over till I found out what was wrong with me. But that was a consequence of my own foolishness, end of story. BD had a lot of issues right then but it seems it finally mellowed and right now, I'm really satisfied with my v10. I tried the 2008 Internet Security pack a while ago (graciously lent by a friend for trial) and I had to fight the urge to hurl at the reworked Java interface, which I found complex and not as practical as its earlier versions. The Total Security Suite has unneeded features such as the data recovery and such, but I'm aiming for Internet Security, not the heavyweight suite. One thing that makes me wonder, though, is that most reviewers consider BD as 'average' or 'good'.

- Kaspersky 7. Ah. Demon or angel...I wonder. On one side I can't dispute the fact that its detection rates are top notch and it's one of the best programs out there, but I've also heard less dithyrambic opinions about some of its drawbacks (I kept hearing about NTFS streams used by KAV, but I should nevertheless remark that the review board was about to be utterly hijacked by NOD32 fanboys, which therefore leaves a question mark in my mind), like it being buggy in certain, specified instances, slowing down the machine and asking you to remove other AVs or antispywares during the install process. Yea or nay? I don't know anymore. I think the license is for a year only, which is a big no-no for me. I'd prefer something longer than that. By the way, Kaspersky 8 is now in beta release.

- AVG Free 7.5: the buddy who backed away from Avast! tried AVG and was satisfied to see that it could easily remove the infected files. In my eyes, that's a good thing...and another friend of mine also confirmed that AVG was definitely worth a try. However, after perusing through several useful boards and sites such as filehippo.com and fileforum.betanews.com, reviews are mitigated, leaving me in a bind, again. AVG stands for average? Errr...my neurons are inches away from meltdown, here...

- Norton Symantec Internet Security and Norton 360: fugedabuddit. Bloody things slowed my computer and booting up was a welt in my side. Ever since I changed to a different antivirus, my PC's performances went up like a balloon filled with helium. The only thing I'd ever bother getting from Symantec would be the SystemWorks because I like certain features.

- Eset NOD32. Another Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of the Internet - I hear praises from one sides and curses from the other. It's pretty well known that as it's written in assembly language, NOD32 is faster than most AVs and some reviews show that it has great detection rates and file definitions...but that it's as useful as a watermill in the middle of the Sahara when it comes to certain threats. I've heard of certain relatively well-known adwares that NOD32 wouldn't recognize, which leaves me one step further from embracing it, although I did for a moment, seriously consider giving it a try.

- ZoneAlarm 7.0/7.1: heard great praises about this thing, especially as a firewall. Friends of mine said that the AV engine could be overlooked, as keeping a tight, impenetrable bulwark around my PC is already a good way to fend off dangerous threats compared to getting infected, being sorry for poor threat avoidance and glumly trying to remove the said nuisance(s). And, yeah, I've heard. Good for IRC but not that brilliant when it comes to Bittorrent. Shame is, I use both. All in all, my aforementioned buddy (yes, I did have some in-depth practical discussions about which AVs should I adopt, which is why I keep mentioning him) reccommended me to get the ZA Firewall (to ward off malwares and such) while getting a separate antivirus on top of it, like AVG or Avast.

- Panda Antivirus 2008: I heard it had one of the greatest detection libraries ever, with over a million signatures and rising but all in all, it was meh. Problem is, one of my acquaintances says it's better than what I'd be led to believe. So what now?

- Sunbelt Kerio Firewall v4.5.9: dunno. Downloaded the free edition a while ago, never tested it.

- Dynamic Security Agent v2.0 Firewall: dunno either.

- Comodo Firewall Pro v3.0.18.309: heard some good things, never bothered or dared finding out for myself.

- ClamWin Free Antivirus v0.92: dled the beta edition, never tested it. I think it's portable but I don't have a USB drive to confirm it.

- Arovax Shield v2.1: same-o, same-o. Dled just in case, never tried out. Now blame me for just mentioning it.

And while I'm at it, I might give a few suggestions for software alternatives:

AntiSpy/Adwares:
- HijackThis 2.0.2: ah. This one deserves some special mention, although it's all hearsay and a quick look at board reviews. Apparently the thing ain't an AV or antimalware by itself, but it analyzes the contents of your PC and supplies an output list that you can post on dedicated support forums, where other users can tell you which registry key or which file to remove, what software to use for disinfection, etc. Apparently a must-have. I have it on my backup DVD-RW just in case and (thank God) I've never had to use it so far.
- SpyBot Search&Destroy v1.5.2.20: I love this one. I use it against spyware and whatnot and my current definition list is up to 115,000 entries or whatnot, which is quite something. I'm still using the release candidate (1.5.1.19 RC1) as it's slightly faster than the final 1.5.2.20 but it provided useful help at times. It even detected SmitFraud less than a year ago, whereas my own antivirus never noticed anything. Very nice and it's for free.
- Ad-Aware 7.0.2.6: I use it along with Spy-Bot. Whereas Sb S&D can detect more dangerous threats, AAw is there to take care of those small spyware and adware pests. It's a pity it's only a shareware, though. There is a free license but it comes at the price of a few additional options I'd have liked to use (like scan scheduling, custom scanning, etc).
- SuperAntiSpyware: think of it as an alternative to SpyBot but with some features found in Ad-Aware. Free license, again, but you can't use a few other options on the downside.

Media Players:
- CCCP/MPC - that's what I'm using right now. Never had any complaints about it.
- VideoLAN VLC - version 0.8.6e was released a few days ago.
- The KMPlayer v2.9.3.1340 Beta.
- Kantaris Media Player v0.3.2 (VLC offshoot with a few drawbacks fixed)

CD/DVD Burners:
- ImgBurn v2.4.0.0
- AVS Disc Creator v2.1.5.100
- BurnAware Free Edition v1.2.8
(note, I'm still using Nero 6 and not the 7 and 8 versions)

File Recovery:
- Recuva v2.0 series. Excellent from what I've been told, and they're for free.
- Active@File Recovery v7: was a godsend for when I eff-ed up with my 160Gb hard drive and managed to lose its contents. Only problem is that the BIG files such as anime episodes were as corrupt as dirty politicians and some .ZIP files and their contents messed up (how I managed to find a Gantz chapter inside a Pretty Face volume still has me puzzled).

Privacy
- CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) v2.0 series. Excellent from what I've been told.

Browsers
- Opera 9.26 (9.50 Beta was released a couple days ago): fast, indeed. Cool, definitely. Only gripe I have with it is that the Temporary Internet Files aren't managed the same way it's done with IE and they always show up when I try to delete the Norton-protected files (those who have SystemWorks will know what I mean).
- Maxthon (Classic) Combo v1.6.3.80: dunno about this one but I was advised to give it a go for once in my lifetime. Haven't indulged the guy yet.
- SeaMonkey v1.1.8: same as above.
- IE7pro v2.1: an add-on to IE7. Apparently an attempt to bridge the gap between Opera/Firefox and IE7. Darn useful according to what I heard through the grapevine but I lack personal experience. I'm not particularly enthused by the prospect of adding new things nowadays for fear of slowing down my PC (observed a performance drop after uninstalling a few things such as my AV and whatnot).

Oh, and while I'm still at it, may I also request suggestions for a good, easy-to-use C++ compiler? I already have dled (but not installed) Eclipse Europa Fall-2, Borland C++ v5.5, Bloodshed Dev-C++, Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express but I'm wondering which is one is the best, as one of my first algorithms included an '#include <iostream>' line that never registered with the Eclipse software (it never managed to locate the iostream file) and had me shaking my head mournfully.

Thanks in advance, I feel sort of like turning in circles nowadays and I could really do with some more advice in order to get a better idea of what's the best in the field right now.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2008-03-09 at 13:09.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 15:55   Link #120
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Renegade that's certainly a lot in one! I'll respond to certain software mentionings in your post, but I want you to be aware of some security aspects. As far as virus removal goes, I don't believe that any single anti-virus solution will work against anything but the simplest of viruses. Virus scanners can detect viruses and perhaps block their execution, but once a system is infected all bets are off. Viruses are very complex these days and typically dig deep into your system so that they can replace deleted parts. It doesn't help that they usually mess with the virus scanner itself. I use virus scanners to scan downloaded files, to block occasional intrusions, and as a last resort canary-in-the-mine - if it's acting weird, the system is probably infected.

A virus scanner may save you in moments where common sense leaves you and you open something you shouldn't have, but what about threats that you have no control over? There are plenty of viruses out there that can infect you without your knowledge even if you don't open anything. There are two protections against that: keep your system up-to-date and use a firewall. The uses of a firewall extend beyond that, however. I always use my firewalls in their "advanced" modes - they let me know if a program is connecting on weird ports, or if an unknown program is communicating. While annoying at first, this can help you to determine when you've been infected. More importantly, you can prevent a virus from communicating with the internet, stopping the spread of infection and potentially keeping whatever data it stole from you safe.

That said, recommended virus scanners tend to be NOD32, AVG, Kapersky, Norton (corporate edition only - not home edition), and Clamwin (free, open-source, but lacks an "auto protect" feature in Linux and Mac OSX versions - not sure about the Windows one). You want something that will do the job but won't eat up too many system resources. Norton Antivirus home edition and McAfee have a reputation for eating up a lot of resources without being too useful.

In addition to virus scanners you'll want to have spyware scanners. I'd recommend the free Spybot Search & Destroy and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. Spyware isn't made with malicious intent, but it can mess up your system just as easily.

For firewalls I'll respond to what you mentioned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
- ZoneAlarm 7.0/7.1: heard great praises about this thing, especially as a firewall. Friends of mine said that the AV engine could be overlooked, as keeping a tight, impenetrable bulwark around my PC is already a good way to fend off dangerous threats compared to getting infected, being sorry for poor threat avoidance and glumly trying to remove the said nuisance(s). And, yeah, I've heard. Good for IRC but not that brilliant when it comes to Bittorrent. Shame is, I use both. All in all, my aforementioned buddy (yes, I did have some in-depth practical discussions about which AVs should I adopt, which is why I keep mentioning him) reccommended me to get the ZA Firewall (to ward off malwares and such) while getting a separate antivirus on top of it, like AVG or Avast.
I'd never heard of ZoneAlarm being used for antivirus, only as a firewall. It seems to be one of the more popular firewall. Whenever I hear of a conflict between a program and a firewall, ZoneAlarm seems to be the culprit or require special instructions. For that reason I was always under the impression that it was a bit bloated and intrusive.

Quote:
- Sunbelt Kerio Firewall v4.5.9: dunno. Downloaded the free edition a while ago, never tested it.
I used Kerio as my main firewall before it was bought by Sunbelt. I tried the Sunbelt versions, but they seemingly just broke some features and didn't add anything into it. I still use Kerio on my Windows systems, but I use it at the last version before Sunbelt bought it (I believe it's 4.2.something). I haven't tried Sunbelt's latest versions and I'm occasionally finding that Kerio occasionally has holes in it, which I manually patch (according to grc.com's "Shield Up" test). I wouldn't recommend using Kerio's old firewall to newer users, and I probably will abandon it within two years for something that's being actively developed.

Quote:
- Comodo Firewall Pro v3.0.18.309: heard some good things, never bothered or dared finding out for myself.
I tried Comodo a year ago and I liked it. I stuck with Kerio because Comodo wouldn't allow me to create custom firewall rules with the same flexibility that Kerio would. Perhaps the newer versions have improved upon that. Either way, for the average user I would recommend this.

Quote:
Media Players:
- CCCP/MPC - that's what I'm using right now. Never had any complaints about it.
- VideoLAN VLC - version 0.8.6e was released a few days ago.
- The KMPlayer v2.9.3.1340 Beta.
- Kantaris Media Player v0.3.2 (VLC offshoot with a few drawbacks fixed)
Media players are a personal choice and you should go with whatever works best for you. I use BSPlayer with FFDShow on Windows. BSPlayer is frequently cited as being one of the worst players on these forums. It works just fine for me, so I continue to use it. If you like CCCP/MPC and you're not running into issues, keep using it.

Quote:
Browsers
I use Opera, but again this is a person choice - use what you like the best. I would recommend against Internet Explorer simply because it carries an increased security risk over the other browsers. No browser is 100% secure, but IE is certainly less secure than the others. If you decide to use IE, take extra precautions (disable ActiveX and so on).

Tags
software