AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-03-15, 22:15   Link #1
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Stylizing

Those who know me pretty well should know my signature style already. That little badge up there is the mark of finished high-grade (yeah right) art. It is what I consider to be a cool, advanced-looking stamp, but contains a mild, soft presence not so much that I want to shout my name wherever I go. It is like part of the landscape, part of the canvas. And I'm sure there are many artists here who treat their names the same way.

Well I'm at a bit of a crossroad here. You see, this week, I've had a chance to come home from work and dig my feet back into Photoshop (and, best of the lot, I've upgraded from 7.0 to CS3, and it is spectacular). And I spent days learning new techniques off various websites and almost the whole week to create the signature you see below. Now, to the point: I spent a great deal of time tinkering around with my name with various other fonts, lines and effects and they all came out looking a bit rubbish. I browsed other people's sig threads like Deathkillz and Ice Climbers for inspiration but nothing clicked. Whereas everybody seems to have a new font for every signature they make, I'm left feeling it looks the same.

Not that I hate it. I mean it is a nice emblem - simple, elegant, clean. But I can't seem to come up with any variations. So that's why I want to ask you guys since many of you are better artists than I am. Can you take that .png above and make it better? And you don't have to follow the same format as I have. Use new fonts. Curve the lines. Put a mini-dragon in the layer behind it. Go crazy. I just want to see what you guys can do, and maybe one of them will inspire a design of my own.

All I ask is that you keep the signature in the way I've described already - stylized but subtle, futuristic yet simple. How you interpret these, I will leave it to you. Oh, and if you can incorperate the Japanese name ザリス in there too, that would be a big plus. Thanks to anyone who gives this a go. And if you can't or don't want to draw, suggestions are equally as helpful.
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 22:22   Link #2
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

I probably could. But then, it'll probably lose it's simplicity.
BearShare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 22:34   Link #3
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearShare View Post
I probably could. But then, it'll probably lose it's simplicity.
LIES.............

Edit: It actually look like something from umm, that one car company which leads ZUN and somehow relates with Alcohol. Umm yea.
Old 2008-03-15, 22:49   Link #4
KasumiGirl
The endless sky
*Graphic Designer

I actually like your name tag. It's very simplistic and nice.

To get more insiration, you could maybe take a look at some renders, which usually have .png name tag on it.

My opinion, your tag has give a special touch, so maybe just changing it a little.
Designing with the pen tool can give a very unique look. Why not try that?
KasumiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 23:12   Link #5
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

If you really wanted to change that, maybe increase the beginning Z size.. Other then that, dont.. be yourself, and let your mind decide what define you best ^^, Your mind already decide on that, no?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 04:20   Link #6
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Thanks all. Although I am really starting to believe that my limitations is all due to a lack of fonts. Try the default Windows XP fonts and you'll see that they're just awful at depicting anything in a subtle yet sophisticated way.

I honestly did try messing around with vertical lines and rearranging the text. I thought branching the "I" would help, but that single line going down the bottom looked just out of place. It felt like one line was all I could accomplish, so I tried a hand at abstract patterns. That didn't work so well either.

Spoiler for my horrid attempts:

In the end, I think it is simply a matter of fonts. I mean, the more styles you have to work with, the more possibilities you can toy. The designs that I create, as you can tell, are paper-thin - only one or two pixels per line. And that's probably because I only have one or two that I really like and actually use. You just can't replicate effects like the ones below on words the size of a twig. I mean look at these. Look! They're brilliant! I gotta admit, I get jealous at how some people can stylize their text so well (and that is a compliment to the creators of the examples below).

Spoiler for Deathkillz:

Spoiler for Klashikari:

Spoiler for Ice Climbers:

Spoiler for Renegade334:

I suppose inspiration will come sooner or later. All I was really hoping for was that little push. My tag is not bad. By all means, I love it. I'm just experimenting and hoping that's not the only way to write it and still give it panache. But what I'm really asking for, I guess, is some styling tips - as is the purpose of the Fan Creation forum according to ElvenPath.
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 01:20   Link #7
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Text really depends on what your using it with. If it's the case of a logo, then you want something that looks good with nearly everything. If it's the case of text per project, then you just go with whatever looks good and fits the piece.

Style tips are going to vary depending on the person giving it, in my opinion. It really comes down to what you think looks good, like KiNa says. If it's how to make text look good, well you'll be better off checking out tutorials and such.

Here's some attempts to give you ideas:

Old 2008-03-17, 02:06   Link #8
SubeteNoZero
*Graphic Designer

I'm not so good with text either, but here's some advice.

Use a variety of logos and change depending on the occassion.
For example: You might want to use (apologies for the low visibility. I didn't want to include a background. A link to a backgrounded one: http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6...icbackgcz4.png) as a logo for a fantasy style signature. However, chances are that you will not want to use that for a more rugged themed sig.
Old 2008-03-17, 06:13   Link #9
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
What font is that actually?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 12:25   Link #10
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Tried to make it as simple as possible...hope this answers your needs or just gives you some inspiration.

P.S. If you want to know, the font I used here is Fire of Ysgard.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2008-03-17 at 12:56.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 13:49   Link #11
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Font aren't meant to be fancy, honey. Usually bold and clean fonts are what most art work seek. Fonts that are too fancy only burns holes in your eye and act as a logo; not a font delivering a message. If you want to do a logo, in my opinion, you should exclude the text.

Last edited by Izayoi; 2008-03-17 at 16:01.
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote