AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Hard Work vs Talent
Hard Work 79 65.29%
Talent 42 34.71%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-03-20, 09:38   Link #21
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Talent is wasted without hard work, or one could think that talent leads to hard work so I really don't see much of a debate here.

I am rather untalented and also lazy which isn't the best combo to have. But if I were to pick I would favor the talented aspect a bit more than just hard work, though really, the both of these traits should come hand in hand

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 09:43   Link #22
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
^true. if you have talent, then you should work hard, and vice-versa. something like that anyway, since having fun with what you do is much more important.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 14:19   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Many people misidentify something as "talent" that is often actually hard work or persistence. Talent that is the result of the genetic dice roll is just a starting advantage that can be squandered.
Old 2008-03-20, 15:09   Link #24
genryou
The ______ maker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to genryou
well, let see...

Talented Person

most can master certain things in a short amount of time.

Hard Working Person

most need a moderate or longer amount of time to master certain things.

if we think about it in time perspective, while the hard working person is struggling to learn something, the talented person hv already master it and proceed to learn other things...

so imo, indeed everyone need to work hard, but not everyone need to work hard enough to master certain things....

sorta...
genryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 16:04   Link #25
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
How many more successful people are there, in really every field, that are talented compared to hard working? The question is not how good they mix, but which one is better. So, I think talent is better, and depending on that talent the hard working person may never, EVER, reach your level.
Thentus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 16:23   Link #26
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
genryou - agreed.

I don't really care for which. Lets say i'm an employer, it doesn't matter to me as long as the task is accomplished in a timely fashion and done correctly.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 16:33   Link #27
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Other than the few annoying kids who ace everything with seemingly no effort........hard work is more important. Well, hard work and inspiration..........if you don't like/appreciate what you're doing, you'll likely never become really good. I see a lot of people who try hard but they treat it as drudge work.........so they don't achieve something special. So I'd inspiration to hard work and talent, like Providence says.
Amirali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 17:42   Link #28
escimo
Paparazzi

Let me get serious for a moment.

I'd say it's a question of field and how high you're aiming. There are many areas where talent is mandatory if you want to actually achieve anything. Let's take music for example. If you have no rhythmic sense you really can't become a great drummer. Pitch can be even harder thing to master if you completely lack natural talent. Same goes to some sports.

amirali1985 made a good point about inspiration. However inspiration can come from hard work as well. Needs quite a strength of character though to keep pushing yourself. Ambitions tend to spring from inspiration.

Combine all three and great things (or absolutely terrible, if the efforts are misguided) will happen.

Therefore I find it hard to make such a clear antithesis between any of these.
Any one will get you somewhere but real greatness is achieved only when all pieces fall together.

I for one have never met a person with no talents what so ever. If your inspirations and talents don't meet the road is going to get rocky in any case. Then it's merely a question whether you follow you mind or your heart. If you can push your self further in the areas of your talents hoping that the inspiration will follow through progress I think you'll eventually get further than by ignoring them and working equally hard or even a bit harder.

Last edited by escimo; 2008-03-20 at 17:49. Reason: typos
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 21:19   Link #29
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Several factors come into play, such as luck and oppurtunity (as mentioned) in addition to hard work and talent.

Talent is a nice thing. If you possess talent for something, you could use that to accomplish great things, potentially. But greater than that is hard work. Hard work can bring you places with little talent attached. Talent is most times only further enhanced by hard work. And if you have some talent for certain things, hard work, practice, diligence, and wisdom/learning/experience can further this talent and really help you go far with things.
Old 2008-03-20, 22:43   Link #30
Pendevous
Yoroshiku
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Pendevous
In anything, whether sports, games or academics, hard work always beats talent. It's hard work that nourishes your talents.
Pendevous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 00:33   Link #31
Phantasmagoria
†Mizore Shirayuki†
*Author

Talent is a bonus, hard work make use of its full advantage.
I still prefer hard work, because even if I am talented in sports, and don't even put in a single effort, I will still remain a noob.

Rosario + Vampire[Mizore].Spice and Wolf[Horo].
Hayate no Gotoku![Hinagiku].Hayate no Gotoku![Maria]
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 10:58   Link #32
Fome

The capability and desire to work hard is also a talent.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 17:18   Link #33
Sheba
Story of My Life

A combination of both, my brother is an example of this, he got natural talent for drawing, but his hard work is what got him noticed by notable people in the tatooers circles.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 17:33   Link #34
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendevous View Post
In anything, whether sports, games or academics, hard work always beats talent. It's hard work that nourishes your talents.
In matter of sports no matter how hard one works. A scrub player is not going to be better then a superstar.

Example:
JD Drew - Very talented but not much in hard work. Makes around 15 mil a year.

vs

AAA - works hard but will never see the majors and making scub money.

And I think no matter how hard most people on this board works at it, i doubt any of you are going to supress Stephen Hawkings a True Genius(Talent).

Hard work will get you places but talent is need to reach the next level.
Old 2008-03-21, 19:37   Link #35
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Asking for one or the other is kind of an oversimplification, if you ask me. Why not have both? =)
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 00:00   Link #36
Tran225

u must also believe that you are gaining off the hard work if not then u will do it all for nothing
Tran225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 11:14   Link #37
Qwazar

I'd pick luck. Set of coincidences, is what talent is really about. Being able to do hard work without slacking off is a talent in itself. And it depends on oh so many things- persons personality, their upbringing, circumstances (i.e. where they live, can they afford to move, can they get education (neither is vital, but important nevertheless)). It is hard even to tell, if there is such a thing as talent.
Qwazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 12:24   Link #38
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwazar View Post
I'd pick luck. Set of coincidences, is what talent is really about. Being able to do hard work without slacking off is a talent in itself. And it depends on oh so many things- persons personality, their upbringing, circumstances (i.e. where they live, can they afford to move, can they get education (neither is vital, but important nevertheless)). It is hard even to tell, if there is such a thing as talent.

One can have talent, dedication, strength, persitance, you name it

Without luck (s)he could just end up begging for a dollar on the streets
Old 2008-03-23, 13:38   Link #39
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I don't believe in talent, in my opinion some people are talented in some things because they've already worked hard on something similar. You'll never get something from nothing.

I don't deny that you can have an affinity for something. Meaning, how you are as a person helps you accomplish a certain task. Which is to say people who like computers may become good programmers or people who like music may become good musicians. But really doesn't mean they have some god given talent other people don't have.
Old 2008-03-23, 14:45   Link #40
karasuma

Depends the task or occupation.

For example :
1) If my task is to move bricks, I only need talent to able to lift and move a brick. Hardwork allows me to move a lot more than a lazy version of me..

2) If my goal is to be a pro basketball, I will need my talent to be tall and fast. If I don't have those talents, I am doomed no matter how hardworking I am.

Lesson? Pick something that either you have talent in it, or something that your lack of talent won't mean much :P
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote