AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Hard Work vs Talent
Hard Work 79 65.29%
Talent 42 34.71%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-04-01, 06:29   Link #81
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
If you don't have a "singing voice", much like a person's height or whatever attribute that is required to do well in a certain field, you will never make it, irregardless of the level of hard work you put in (however, this does not apply to everything). It isn't necessarily a talent, but its something that is required.

Kinda like how an ugly individual (As in REALLY ugly) will never be able to become a Hollywood actor/actress even if his acting abilities are superb and is extremely hard working - thats how it works in real life...most of the time anyway.
Depends on the voice. If it is something that people would want to listen to then yes. But still you can actually have a better voice by simply practicing it. There are classes that you can take that can help you better your voice. But yeah, the chances are still preaty low.



Well any ways, i wasnt mainly talking about that. Some one said, " Singers are almost all "talent" " and that was the statement i was trying to argue.

1) Having a singing voice is not a talent.
2) Even people with really good singing voice, practice all the time. Becoming a singer doesnt just rely on your voice. Tons of practice is still needed.

Its basically the same concept. Even if you are tall, that doesnt mean you can become a pro basketball player. But if you practice , your chances are higher than a person who is really short ( again Height isnt a talent as i said earlier).
__________________
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 06:42   Link #82
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
So in reality there is no such a thing as talent. But there are things called IQ , physical attributes, and many other factors that have an effect, but Talent isnt something you are born with.
I think you are slightly misunderstanding what "talent" is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Answers.com
  1. A marked innate ability, as for artistic accomplishment. See synonyms at ability.
    1. Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality.
    2. A person or group of people having such ability: The company makes good use of its talent.
  2. A variable unit of weight and money used in ancient Greece, Rome, and the Middle East.
It is "natural endowment", the other definitions hardly apply in this context. I would say that "IQ, [and] physical attributes" count as "natural endowment". You are born with capacity for so much IQ and height and that is what talent is (unless you disbelieve genetics), they are not just misc. factors that have "an effect". Talent is something that you are born with by definition.

If you disagree, then precisely define what you mean by "talent" and where do you think it comes from? Are people just good at certain things for no reason?
__________________
tripperazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 13:41   Link #83
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
I think you are slightly misunderstanding what "talent" is.
I know what talent means. It can have many meanings but the most commonly used is " a special natural ability or aptitude" . I never said thats not the meaning . But one's Physical attributes and IQ are usually not one of those things that are called one's talent. Well, yeah you could call some one talented in anything, But that doesnt mean it is widely used. Have you ever heard any one saying your Height , the color of your eyes, the shape of your legs and .... are your talent? Talent is most often used for natural abbilty( Ex: Drawing, piano, soccer, making other laugh , being able to anoy people and .... ). Also, Although i am not denying the meaning of the talent, I am just saying Talent and hardwork are essential the same thing. I have never said the meaning is something i want it to be .


Quote:
You are born with capacity for so much IQ and height and that is what talent is (unless you disbelieve genetics), they are not just misc. factors that have "an effect".
as a person who loves science and is a science major, I could come up with many scientific facts that would argue against what you just wrote but that would be off-topic. So could you show me the source behind what you just said? You said i would be in disbelieve of genetics? Please do show me your source that sais One's height has been prove to be one's talent.
Quote:
Talent is something that you are born with by definition.
No argument there.
Quote:
If you disagree, then precisely define what you mean by "talent" and where do you think it comes from? Are people just good at certain things for no reason?
I dont disagree the meaning. And to sum it up,

Talent = Dilligence and love of the task can bring out people's talent. Even if you are born with talent, if you dont work hard at it and if you dont love it , then you will never bring out it's full potential.

If you were born with talent science should have been able to diffrentiate and identify what kind of talents you are born with , through your genes and other scientific methods. But That hasnt been done so.

You said people are born with talent right? And you said it is proven with genetics that people are born with talent right? Could link me to one of your sources? So i can see?


Quote:
Are people just good at certain things for no reason ?
No. Some one is good at drawing because he has practiced alot or have seen many drawings. If you tell some one to draw for the first time ( without them seeing any artistic work) there is no way that person can draw good( unless that person has done other tasks that relys on handskill or creativity).

A person is good at math, because that person loves Math and enjoys putting time and solving math problem.

A person is good at piano, because that person has practiced piano or something that is related to aquiring the skill to piano.



If a person is good at something that hasnt done before, that just means, he has worked with things that has similar requirments.

One last example to wrap this up. A person who is a web designer is more likely to be able to play a video game that requires the use of hotkeys than the person who is more into sports. Even if the two people are playing the game for the first time, The web designer will be alot better than the other person. In the eyes of the observer, The two has just started playing the game for the first time. So one would say One is more talented than the other. Well that would be the correct way to look at it. But it would be wrong to assume that he has been born with that skill. What the observer misses, is the fact that one of the two is a web designer.

P.S. I do see your point too . Yes , Things such as one's Height and IQ does play a huge role in one's talent. I wont disagree on that. I did actually say that few posts ago . If you go back to previous pages you might actually find it .
__________________

Last edited by Whitemoon648; 2008-04-01 at 14:00.
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 14:54   Link #84
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Talent and hardwork are essential the same thing. I have never said the meaning is something i want it to be .
Well, I think you just did. If hardwork and talent were equivalent, this poll would be somewhat moot don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
as a person who loves science and is a science major, I could come up with many scientific facts that would argue against what you just wrote but that would be off-topic. So could you show me the source behind what you just said? You said i would be in disbelieve of genetics? Please do show me your source that sais One's height has been prove to be one's talent.
Hm...that phrase was modifying the wrong part of the sentence. What I was trying to say was that things such as IQ and height are very strongly genetically influenced and cannot be changed much by external factors short of reducing Calcium intake to 0 to mitigate height or locking a baby in a room to eliminate mental stimulus from birth to hinder brain development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Talent = Dilligence and love of the task can bring out people's talent. Even if you are born with talent, if you dont work hard at it and if you dont love it , then you will never bring out it's full potential.

If you were born with talent science should have been able to diffrentiate and identify what kind of talents you are born with , through your genes and other scientific methods. But That hasnt been done so.
I see this aspect of your argument as completely contradictory. You say that talent must be "brought out" by "diligence", sure without hardwork, you don't achieve your potential, that's been said many times, but no matter how lazy he might be, a talented person has talent regardless of what he does. As you said, they are genetic and your introns don't change throughout your life as far as we know.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
No. Some one is good at drawing because he has practiced alot or have seen many drawings. If you tell some one to draw for the first time ( without them seeing any artistic work) there is no way that person can draw good( unless that person has done other tasks that relys on handskill or creativity).

A person is good at math, because that person loves Math and enjoys putting time and solving math problem.

A person is good at piano, because that person has practiced piano or something that is related to aquiring the skill to piano.

If a person is good at something that hasnt done before, that just means, he has worked with things that has similar requirments.
I think I'm beginning to see what you define as talent. If you say you're a science major, I'll just put it in those terms for you.

Basketball, for example, requires endurance, a high jump, and fine motor coordination in the arms and hands. I think what you're trying to say is that a person who has "brought out" his talent in sports would see a rise in endurance as he trains, right? However, that happens with anyone, as muscles are unable to cope with daily stress, the body copes by synthesizing more fibers, more actin, more myosin, more myoglobin, more mitochondria, higher levels of glucose reserves, etc. These changes improve the muscle's capacity for sustained contraction. This is brought about by hardwork. By working the muscle beyond it's current capacity, you body adapts to suit the current situation. What I mean by talent might be something like "testosterone level". As you probably know, the level of testosterone is genetically influenced, and different for each individual. The level of androgens, specifically testosterone, affects how rapidly muscle synthesis occurs and your limit for muscle mass. Although I don't have published literature on hand to support this, it's fairly basic knowledge in fitness and nutrition. This is why women (with significantly lower testosterone levels) have very little lean body mass compared to similarly built men. This is also why "anabolic steroids" are usually synthesized testosterone, or some kind of very similar derivative. A person talented in muscle gain will gain more mass at a faster rate than an average person. Sure, you may argue that he needed to "work" and "bring out" the talent, but we are not talking in absolutes. We both know that if a person does nothing, talent means nothing (that doesn't mean it's nonexistent though). However, it's different, "talent" is the potential that hardwork can achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
P.S. I do see your point too . Yes , Things such as one's Height and IQ does play a huge role in one's talent. I wont disagree on that. I did actually say that few posts ago . If you go back to previous pages you might actually find it .
In the end, my basic point is that you need to be more specific in your definition of talent. As a science major, you should define things more operationally instead of conceptually. Look at how it comes about, I personally am not satisfied with genes->talent, but more with genes->phenotype->effect->talent.
__________________
tripperazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 15:36   Link #85
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Spoiler for to save space:
Well i do think you have good ( not good enough to convince me though ) points. No, they really are good points ( i really do mean it ). I Would have come up with counter-arguments for what you said, But i have a feeling, even if we continue this, we wont get any where.


Anyways, Lets just say, I believe hardwork > talent ( although i dont see much diffrence between them).
__________________
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 15:51   Link #86
ApostleOfGod
^.^
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Though I'm relatively unbiased, choosing "talent" only because I knew "hard work" would have more votes, your first statement is based entirely on subjective opinion and no data at all.
I've been told that I had "talent" at piano since I began playing 8 years ago, but I still "work hard" at it. (coming from one of the most unmotivated persons you will ever meet.)
Singers are almost all "talent", but almost all of them have to "work hard" to do well.

I have no talent in most science-related things, and even when I "worked hard", I wasn't able to be on-par with those who are more scientifically-oriented people.
If you didn't like piano, why did you continue putting in your effort and time?

Everyone develops their own bias. Everyone. I won't disagree if you feel that you're more-so objective than I am, but I won't agree either. In this situation, rather than your personal data, I'm looking on a broader view.

Gifted and *Talented* are very light terms in modern society. I can develop talents in any skill that I wanted to. You play the way you practice.

Motivation does play a big role, but ultimately whether you're motivated or not, if you do something, you do it. It's fact. And I'm speaking on fact: the fact that people will fade if they have talent but desire not to keep pushing with it. I've been told I'm a fast learner, and I really do pick things up fast. Heck, I get so easily interested and addicted to anything that I do, that I'd try to develop talents for it. This ranges from hobbies to life-long dreams and goals. Then again, I end up getting lazy often times and procrastinate.

Nevertheless, talent only starts you off. What ultimately pushes you on forward? Hard work. That was my point from the start anyways; talent goes only so far. Hard work can turn the tables in those scenarios.
__________________
There are two ways to live life.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 05:36   Link #87
mangatron
Gyanko <3
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
You know, I always believe that the one who has the talent to do something, ultimately should do so, unlike one how does not have the talent to do something yet tries hard to do it. As ApostleOfGod has said, working hard on those talents will get you somewhere, and usually people who have the talent to do something are happy with it as opposed to one who has not the talent to do yet tries hard to do.

An example I like to use is if one is talented in singing, that does not guarantee massive album sales and being in the top ten on the radio. It requires alot of effort to make songs that a large number of people will find peace in, and of course determination to continue on even if criticized. One thing I disliked about the music industry, there are artists who are rated by sales, not by song popularity. To me how popular a song is and how much it is liked is the real merit of a singer, although one could say "album sales determine popularity in a way", but of course, in the age of file sharing and pirated songs, I guess it all boils down to how many times a song is donwloaded?

But, the one true example I will always use, although some may not understand it fully, is talent versus hard work is comparable to a Sniper. We all know the good snipers are the one who are on target a large number of times, but who actually knows the life of a sniper? I believe if one can calculate distance as opposed to elevation with an open mind to windage combined with time to target, that surely is a talent usually involving brainwork, which of course all passes down to the eye. Here's the kicker: a sniper needs alot of patience, and if your amount of effort can be held onto for a certain amount of time, thats alot of hard work there. Sniping may be called point and shoot, but I'll tell you not many people pass sniper training in the US military. And don't believe the stuff you see in movies, they just show guys looking through a scope and shooting. And that movie "Shooter", although I did like it, it doesn't do justice to a real hard work of a sniper. Although, the only two movies I know of that kind of make a sniper look hard working, is Saving Private Ryan and Enemy at the Gates. Because you know, if a sniper is sweating then that brain is working (While it's difficult to see a sniper sweat in the harsh winters of Russia, Enemy at the Gates only suffered from a odd story, in my opinion anyways.)

Uhm, wow long post. Something I always do yet hate so much. Is it my talent to waste my time to build such eyestrain of text? (here's a hint: if you have time to waste, try to go through my post history from 2007 back down to 2004, I'm known for building massive walls of text and hating it, yet being praised for it )

Edit: Can you believe I got my titles mixed up. The movie I mentioned, "Sniper", I actually meant the Mark Wahlberg movie, "Shooter". The Tome Berenger movies were great, except for 3, that movie was the weirdest thing ever.
__________________

It's a wonderful view.
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*What do you call a girl using her boobies to pleasure another girl?
-PAIZYURI!
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, feeling very sick at the moment from my extremely bad luck...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD

Last edited by mangatron; 2008-04-03 at 09:49. Reason: Shooter! Drop the gun, and put your hands above you head lol
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 07:59   Link #88
Nerthoul
^__^
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
in my opinion, talent it's ability that allowing do hardwork without negative emotions ( with love&fun or smth ~~~ )
Nerthoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 20:29   Link #89
qtipbrit
Buddhajew
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Actually, reading through several of these examples (especially the one below), I think that "talent" is not a direct result of "hard work" by definition, but it can be.
I think "talent" in youngsters and such refers to the attribution of skills that are generally achieved through "hard work".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
No. Some one is good at drawing because he has practiced alot or have seen many drawings. If you tell some one to draw for the first time ( without them seeing any artistic work) there is no way that person can draw good( unless that person has done other tasks that relys on handskill or creativity).
I've seen elementary schoolers sit down and draw something I, whom I believe to be a decent "drawer" and is ten years their senior, could maybe draw with a good deal of effort, and I doubt they were able to work on their art skills in two-four years the same amount I have been for twelve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
A person is good at math, because that person loves Math and enjoys putting time and solving math problem.
An aquaintance of mine began long division in kindergarten and is taking university math courses (no, not AP, he finished those freshman year.) in 10th grade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
A person is good at piano, because that person has practiced piano or something that is related to aquiring the skill to piano.
No, a person is good at piano because they have both practised and/or have a high affiliation with the right hemisphere of the brain. (same with drawing)
I sat down and learned Fur Elise within maybe a month as my first piano song when I was seven with little previous practising.
Learning chords and reading tabs came to me within minutes after picking up a guitar (though it's just a secondary instrument I dabble in sporadically.)
I could get hear a song and play a basic beat to accompany it after playing around with my drum set about an hour after getting it.

Does that mean that I'm talented moreso in music and not as much in other areas like science, sculpting, waterskiing, ice skating, basketball, and speaking farsi?
I would say yes, but it's quite subjective.

I also have to agree with tripperazn on several points. Though I caught maybe 70% of the parts with scientific terms and whatnot, physical build is an innate trait.
I was born with a rather skinny frame because of my parents' genes, and even after years of cardiovascular excercise, muscle training, and protein shakes, I now have maybe average sized bone structure, muscle build, whatever the more scientific terminology may be. I also have a high metabolism, keeping me rather thin without much effort on my part, and am quite nimble due to my shortcomings in other areas. I doubt NFL linebackers are the most graceful of people, though they could easily munch on me as a halftime snack. (no, I'm not that small.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
Kinda like how an ugly individual (As in REALLY ugly) will never be able to become a Hollywood actor/actress even if his acting abilities are superb and is extremely hard working - thats how it works in real life...most of the time anyway.
I felt compelled to say that plastic surgery in the Hollywood area is quite popular with plastic surgeons making fat paychecks (inter)nationally, so you don't necessarily have to be ugly your whole life and just buy your happiness.
__________________
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 07:12   Link #90
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Spoiler for to save space:


I was trying to come up with examples from People around our own age. We would be able to relate to them easier.

Well I could come up with arguments about elementary schoolers too, but really, that doesnt matter much. Even if we agree, that talents are part of our genes ( which science hasnt proved yet), still a person who doesnt work hard, wont be able to nurish his/her talents.


Any ways, There can be many reasons that an elementary student might be better at drawing than his/her friends. It all depends what type of enviroment and acitivities has he/she been around since he/she was a baby.


Really, you cant compare a baby whose parents put on Poet tapes as his/her lullaby to a baby whose parents use TV junk. This is just one of the many , many , many , many diffrent enviroments that kid grow up.



Plus, even if we still agree your idea of talented as an elementary student. It just proves how talented the kid is at that stage. It doesnt prove that He/she was born with the talent.


Any ways, i kind of tried to stop posting counter-arguments, as this topic is merely an opinion orientated thread, and too much discussion on it, might end up becoming a few dozen pages ( it has been a good 2 pages of us going back and forth at the very least ) . So consider this as my last post .


P.S. Just to clarify, I dont think any one's opinion in this thread is wrong. We all just have diffrent opinions on it.
__________________
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 08:08   Link #91
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
I felt compelled to say that plastic surgery in the Hollywood area is quite popular with plastic surgeons making fat paychecks (inter)nationally, so you don't necessarily have to be ugly your whole life and just buy your happiness.
Thats assuming that the person has enough money for a GOOD plastic surgeon's services.

I mean, ugly Joe/Jane coming from a regular/average family won't even be able to afford something like say, a nose job. "Re-crafting" your entire face is gonna cost you even more, so...yea.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 14:31   Link #92
ESC
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
I felt compelled to say that plastic surgery in the Hollywood area is quite popular with plastic surgeons making fat paychecks (inter)nationally, so you don't necessarily have to be ugly your whole life and just buy your happiness.
Off the topic, but...
Plastic surgery only works on people with good looks.(Wait let me rephrase that; plastic surgery can give the magic to everyone but that magic wont do much for an average looking person) Not everyone can become beautiful just by having a plastic surgery... A lot of people say all the hot looking chicks in Korea are like that because they had plastic surgery, and that is only partly true because the plastic surgery is only there to "add" to their natural beauty. Personally, adding more beauty to an average face wont make you any closer to looking wonderful.
ESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 12:32   Link #93
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sleeping Forest
a person who is a genius and does not work hard is worse than a lazy slob. i think i read that somewhere. it fits for me. even if you don't have the talent, if you work hard at it than you can do anything

p.s that sounds so cheesy....lol
__________________
kayote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 12:08   Link #94
nejielf2
Flying alien
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indonesia
both important.

talented people who working hard achieve more than only hard worked people, we can't fight talent.

but the fact is everyone talented for something. everyone genius for something. we have to find what it is and working hard for it. and no one can catch us.
nejielf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 12:27   Link #95
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
I'm assuming that hard work and talent are made mutually exclusive when we evaluate them. In that case, hard work gets you far more success and respect. If you ever fail at something and you're a hardworking person, nobody would blame you. On the other hand, if you're talented but lazy, you'll earn little more than disdain in the long run, as people will wish to switch bodies with you and do actual work with it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 12:29   Link #96
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 27
talent

i think my point has been explained by other posters. to make my explanation short, on a scale of 1 to 10, a hardworking individual can achieve a maximum of ten. But for the talented individual, that innate 'endowment' allows him/her to step beyond the maximum limit that an 'average' hardworking person can achieve, achieving an 11,12,13 or even more depending on the amount of talent.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 18:28   Link #97
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran225 View Post
What do you guys think is more important in accomplishing your goals? I believe that Hardwork is more important than Talent
Neither. The answer is time.

More time solves everything, less time means all is lost, before it even begins. Hard work is just a fancy way of saying "don't waste time," while talent means you're a natural at saving time because you've either spent it in your childhood and now that experience has carried over, or various factors in your life have led to one thing or another which lead you to being particularly more stupid at certain things over others. There's also the popular version, where you're a freak born with some rare brain disorder and are "advantaged," but in those cases you're typically also "disadvantaged" (by your mental disorder) or don't really get to do much other then say count more sheep in your head (not exactly the greatest thing with todays tech). In a way I like to think we're all "talented" in by just being who we are, it's just that 50% of us look for this "talent" in the wrong place, and 50% of us don't see it as "unique".

But back to the topic at hand, technically I lied, it's also willpower, followed immediately after by energy. Since energy can be simplified as performing certain tasks to keep yourself healthy, we can consider it as just another part of the time you need.

So now the question is which is more important time or willpower?

Well willpower doesn't grow on trees so you still need time to get into it. That's why I consider time more important. That and throwing more time into something produces results, throwing more willpower, well... not always. Though people sure like throwing willpower at things, so much more so then time.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 18:32   Link #98
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Mists
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It's gotta be Hard Work, because clicking talent is just making excuses for yourself.

True, some things you may never be good at regardless of effort, but if you dismiss it all to talent, you will be trash at everything you do.

If you have talent, you might not need hard work. If you don't, well fuck, that's the only thing you have.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 19:23   Link #99
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I think it depends on what your 'goals' are. If you want to be an 'expert', then hardwork is probably more important, but if you want to be a 'master', then talent is absolutely necessary. Ie, you can train extremely hard and make it to state/nationals and maybe even qualify for the Olympics, but the people who get the medals put in just as much hard work, but have an innate talent that you can never match.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 20:04   Link #100
DawnEmperor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Somewhere
I don't like that there's only two choices, but fine.

Hard work is more important in my opinion, though it's kind of a broad category. Hard work really is the driving force and motivation behind a person. Being "good at something" is rather subjective to a degree; there may always be someone who appreciates your work, but without a drive to pursue opportunities, talent just becomes one of the many things you can do.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.