AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-03-24, 20:21   Link #1
Un1234l

Is it my computer, or the website?

Aight so I normally use this sheet for learning Key pieces but for awhile now I can't access some of the links there.

Website is http://www008.upp.so-net.ne.jp/m_maru/

Try clicking on the Kanon link.

Doesn't work? Well try this now: http://www.geocities.co.jp/MusicStar...non/index.html

Yes, it's the same site. How do I know? Because before (5 months ago?), it worked. And when it worked, the exact same site showed up.

To access the Air one, replace the "Kanon" in that link to "AIR" (Yes, it must be caps).

That would work only for Kanon, AIR, recollections, and planetarian. I can't access Natukage-nostalgia, CLANNAD, tomoyo-after (nooo), and when it FINALLY has littlebusters.....

Doesn't work in the kana either. I tried http : // www . geocities.co.jp/MusicStar-Piano/4725/クラナド/index.html

I think the links worked at least 3 months ago
Luckily, I got every one of Clannad's sheet and planetarian there before this inconvenience.

But my question is this: Is it my computer, or the website? (Try accessing it your way, and mine)

I tried on my Firefox, Firefox IE Tab, and Internet Explorer... on mine and my brother's computer. It didn't work. It always shows up a "Page cannot be found" site.

If any of the "broken links" work, please tell me how you solved it. If you don't know how, then it might be something on your computer that you had/installed from before accessing the site.
Un1234l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 20:27   Link #2
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Kanon link works for me. Brings me here: http://sound.jp/m_maru/Kanon/index.html
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 20:48   Link #3
Un1234l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
Kanon link works for me. Brings me here: http://sound.jp/m_maru/Kanon/index.html
Hmm, that's strange. sound.jp link doesn't work for me. It will always take a long time to try to load, and it will only show up "Problem loading page)

Did you try the other links? Also, try the 2nd link in my first post and see if that works
Old 2008-03-24, 20:51   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Works for me too, no problems. Using Time Warner cable as my ISP. I know that last week there was an issue between two major internet service providers (Telia and Cogent), and as a result a lot of websites were unavailable to Telia customers. If you're a Telia user or your ISP piggybacks on Telia that may be the issue.
Old 2008-03-24, 20:53   Link #5
monster

Using Windows XP here, and all the links that I tried from that website work for me with Internet Explorer, Safari, and Firefox.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 21:20   Link #6
Un1234l

Ehh, apparently, it works for my friend as well.

This is really strange, and I don't think it's an ISP problem.

After all this, I think the closest conclusion is that it's because my brother and I set up our internet so its shared through a network cable - 3 cables connected to a splitter. We did this around 3 months ago so, it would be consistent with my problem. Before that, it would be connected via the regular usb internet and the links worked. I'm not 100% certain though.

Thank you all, you all did your part =).

It is now my turn.

Last edited by Un1234l; 2008-03-24 at 21:22. Reason: Grammar correcting for easier understanding
Old 2008-03-24, 23:31   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, actually it sounds like either a routing problem outside your control or a DNS name resolution cache poisoning (also outside your control mostly). You might discuss it with your ISP but otherwise all you can do is reboot your pc and your router/modem periodically to see if it clears away.

I've had sites vanish or misdirect for weeks because some in-between route or DNS server was hosed up.

edit: when you say "splitter" do you mean a network *hub* or a network *router*? (whats the brand and model number?). Also when you say "cable" do you mean the RJ45 Ethernet 4-pair cat5 kind of wire or an actual coaxial cable from the cable company?

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-03-25 at 03:18.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 02:59   Link #8
problemedchild
_

You could try flushing your DNS cache.

run>cmd

Type in ipconfig /flushdns
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 09:09   Link #9
kayos
RETIRED

I'm using firefox and the links works just fine.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 15:45   Link #10
Un1234l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
yeah, actually it sounds like either a routing problem outside your control or a DNS name resolution cache poisoning (also outside your control mostly). You might discuss it with your ISP but otherwise all you can do is reboot your pc and your router/modem periodically to see if it clears away.
Nah, rebooting does nothing. So it might be a DNS problem. (Gonna try problemedchild's solution)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
edit: when you say "splitter" do you mean a network *hub* or a network *router*? (whats the brand and model number?). Also when you say "cable" do you mean the RJ45 Ethernet 4-pair cat5 kind of wire or an actual coaxial cable from the cable company?
Not really sure, but it most likely is a hub. Is it a box with ... 4-6 slots for the ethernet to plug in? I don't know the brand, but my dad bought it for 20 dollars CAN. And yes, it's an ethernet cable (don't know what coaxial is anyways.. is it the one which can connect to the modem and usb?). In Network Connections, it says that I am currently connected to Local Area Connection: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC.

EDIT: ipconfig /flushdns didn't fix it. It was successful, but it didn't fix it

Last edited by Un1234l; 2008-03-25 at 16:17.
Old 2008-03-25, 18:15   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The connections tab in your Network Settings on your computer is only telling you what the network connector is in your computer (Realtek is a common NIC used on motherboards). The box should have the model and type printed on it somewhere.

The rest of this assumes you really have a router/modem.(if its only a hub you're never going to get it to work properly in this situation).
==========
If the cable out of your wall socket is connected to the box... then it is needs to be a router/modem If it is working properly then a router gives each of your computers their own internal address (192.168.0.X) and your ISP assigns the router its very own public address by which the rest of the world says hello. When the router receives packets Computer A has requested (e.g. a web page), the router keeps its own notes about which family computer asked for what packets and routes them (in the example, to Computer A).

If your computers can see each other via Network Places (and you've set up your Working Group properly), then your inside network is basically fine. You could run a program like ipscan to check basic connectivity as well.

If you can see nothing of the outside world (e.g. www.megatokyo.com fails) try to ping a known destination ("ping 66.207.163.2" -> megatokyo.com). if that works, then you've definitely got a DNS problem. It could be your router's DNS server is toast or you may need to tell your computers to use your ISP's DNS servers.

It could also be that the router probably needs to be set to factory defaults --- and you *may* need to talk to your ISP to know what to configure (usually the defaults are fine). If you know your box's model and type, you can google for a user's manual usually.

If you can see SOME of the outside world --- then everything in your home is probably fine - but then you've got a problem upstream from you and mostly you can only complain to your ISP about DNS cache poisoning.

I have other suggestions but its really difficult not to dump a lot of unnecessary questions without knowing what kind of boxes and what kind of cables. A diagram or picture of the network would also help.
=====

Its like a logic problem but if you understand what the elements of the system (computer->hub->router/modem->ISP->World) are, it is easier to isolate what is failing even if you don't understand exactly how it works.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-03-25 at 18:27.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote