AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-03-25, 19:22   Link #1
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

640x480 on my 1600x1200

Actually, this is a problem that I've had on all my VAIO computers (yet, for some reason I keep buying them *sigh*). So, if anyone else has used a Sony at some point, they probably know what I'm talking about.

The problem is: my computer hates to adjust resolutions automatically. When I try to play Starcraft, it looks as big as a deck of cards on my widescreen. It's the same issue when I try to play any game with my laptop, whether it's a VN or FPS, from US or Japan. Even when I select the "full screen" option, it's the same size, except that the rest of the screen is just black.

Is there a way to manually change this?
Old 2008-03-25, 20:35   Link #2
Un1234l

Hmm, while I do not have great solution for you, I know why it is happening.

I have that same problem now (Read my story.)

================================================== ======
Aight so here's my story. I got a widescreen laptop some 2 years back (one I'm using now). And for all those years, I've been using it in a 4:3 (1.33) aspect ratio (1024x768). Only around 2 weeks ago have I FINALLY figured out that what I've been doing is wrong. When I do stuff on my computer (play games, watch anime), everything looked too wide. But I got used to it. Then I changed my reso to widescreen 16:10(?) (1.6) (1280x800). Everything looked so much better... but now I realize I have the same problems.
================================================== =========

I started doing stuff I normally did in 4:3, only this time, I had to adjust it so that it fits my widescreen. Watching 4:3 anime normally filled up the entire screen, but now there are pillarboxes on the sides. Playing 1024x768 games normally filled up the entire screen, but now there are pillarboxes on the sides. Watching anime "fullscreen" in MPC wasn't truly "fullscreen".. like what you are experiencing. So I ticked the option "Stretch window from inside" and now it is truly full screen (with slight letterboxing). Reading this topic made me realize that I also have the same problem with VNs, RTS, etc.

I can only help you out on the MPC classic part (if you use that). So if there are black bars around the show in full screen, just stretch everything from inside and that would fix it.

A temporary fix for the games and such is to lower your resolution to another 4:3 ratio (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc)

All in all, I will help try to find a fix for I have the same problem as well, but it's not only a Sony VAIO problem. I have a Compaq-HP laptop.

So for now we have to find a way to stretch the screen like on my solution to MPC.

Sorry, I feel like I wasn't much help.

EDIT: Another way to fix it on some games (not SC, I'm sorry) is to check if you can adjust their fullscreen resolution. Go to their video/graphics option and change the ratio to yours or the closest one to yours.

Last edited by Un1234l; 2008-03-25 at 20:54.
Un1234l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 02:01   Link #3
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

Did you update your video drivers?
Old 2008-03-31, 02:25   Link #4
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
Did you update your video drivers?
Well, I got this laptop like 4 months ago and I've had this problem on 3 separate computers over a span of about 5 years.
Old 2008-03-31, 03:12   Link #5
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Typically on laptops if you want them to stretch lower resolutions to fill the whole screen you have to enable an option in the BIOS. Another possible alternative would be to use something like D3DWindower to run the game in a window. Finally, if neither of those ideas work out, you can go the sledgehammer-to-crack-a-nut route and try running it in a Virtual Machine - since it's Starcraft this should work OK as it does not require sophisticated 3D acceleration.