AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-17, 07:11   Link #81
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

The entire historical stuff aspect is there, but not with so much cynicism and sarcasm. I surely didn't get that old campy Inuyasha feeling from this ep that's for sure.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 21:46   Link #82
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I thought that was rather good. I especially liked the Virtual Edo - if they ever open that place, sign me up. Very realistically done. Too early to get a real feel for the characters and the depth of the writing, but both the characters and the premise show promise, and the visuals are above average.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 04:34   Link #83
Westlo
Lets be reality

I liked the first episode and it's nice too see Romi Paku playing another kickass female lead who swings a sword. I'm expecting/hoping for at least one great fight scene considering this is from the director of Rurouni Kenshin OVAs and Chevalier.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 06:28   Link #84
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Call me surprise, I was expecting to hate this series after reading much of that, IMO, tripe of a manga (atmosphere and pacing? heavens, what?!), but, hey, this is quite a good start and a much smoother (which for some may be considered slow) introduction compared to the source. The difference it makes with Furuhashi at the helm is enormous, which for me is all for the best, really. This is one of those series that I definitely wouldn't mind not going to the faithful adaptation route; it can do loads better.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 18:54   Link #85
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 3
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 19:14   Link #86
Oxtail

Only seen the first episode so far and it was better than I expected, not that I really knew much about the show going into it. I like some of the little details in the show. Like the CG Edo Japan thing is pretty neat. And the fact that the main characters sustain pretty serious injuries is refreshing. Seems most characters in action series these days are nigh indestructable. I also really like personalities of the characters that I've seen so far and liking the characters is pretty huge for me in terms of anime enjoyment. Now I'll just wait for the second and third episodes to get subs to see where the story goes.
Oxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 21:26   Link #87
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Hehehe, this is a very slow entry but Episode 2's summary + screenshots is up on the blog. Blame Extrange and his DS addiction.

^_^ I do wonder about the scientific things infused to the Edo era. Those who watched episode 2 will know what i am saying =3

Click the signature!
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 21:52   Link #88
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
Hehehe, this is a very slow entry but Episode 2's summary + screenshots is up on the blog. Blame Extrange and his DS addiction.
Oh! Your post reminded me I have ep 2's sub and haven't watched it yet. Silly me.

Edit: Double silly me. I was having a moron moment. I mixed up Nabari 02 with Amatsuki 02.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list

Last edited by LKK; 2008-04-19 at 09:46. Reason: added embarassing admission
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 22:09   Link #89
Kaijin
かいじん

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Oh! Your post reminded me I have ep 2's sub and haven't watched it yet. Silly me.
Ep 2 was subbed?
Old 2008-04-18, 22:20   Link #90
OMchan
オムちゃん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijin View Post
Ep 2 was subbed?
They could have been referring to the Chinese subs.

Kimi ni Todoke
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 23:17   Link #91
Gromnir
Evil's evil twin

start of rant

you have to wonder what Nietzsche would say if he had to observe the kind of surface level existential introspection that is so common in anime. the typical anime writer slaps their philosophical pretensions down in front of the audience like a butcher handling a side of beef. there is a decided lack of subtlety and craft in the delivery.

*shrug*

look, i am not expecting Sartre or Camus. i know that anime is popular entertainment, but heck, even Robert E. Howard showed more artistry with his Conan stories. in The Hour of the Dragon did you even once hear Conan ask, "What is emptiness?" no?

the art looks pretty, and i am intrigued by some of the characters thus far, but whenever i see the Philosophy for Dummies approach rear its ugly head in a pc game or anime i cringe. such crude methods are one of the reasons why anime writers get so little respect from academics, and justly so.

end of rant

the art looks nice, if a tad too bight for my taste. kuchiha will be worth watching as long as she doesn't become too cliche along the way. the toki kid bugs me and if they give him a predictably tortured past i will stop watching ssssooooooo fast...

dts
Old 2008-04-19, 09:48   Link #92
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijin View Post
Ep 2 was subbed?
No it isn't. At least not in English at this point. I made a mistake when checking my video files list. Had a right nice moron moment there.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 20:37   Link #93
Shinkouhyou
(#゚Д゚)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromnir View Post
start of rant

you have to wonder what Nietzsche would say if he had to observe the kind of surface level existential introspection that is so common in anime. the typical anime writer slaps their philosophical pretensions down in front of the audience like a butcher handling a side of beef. there is a decided lack of subtlety and craft in the delivery.

*shrug*

look, i am not expecting Sartre or Camus. i know that anime is popular entertainment, but heck, even Robert E. Howard showed more artistry with his Conan stories. in The Hour of the Dragon did you even once hear Conan ask, "What is emptiness?" no?

the art looks pretty, and i am intrigued by some of the characters thus far, but whenever i see the Philosophy for Dummies approach rear its ugly head in a pc game or anime i cringe. such crude methods are one of the reasons why anime writers get so little respect from academics, and justly so.

end of rant

the art looks nice, if a tad too bight for my taste. kuchiha will be worth watching as long as she doesn't become too cliche along the way. the toki kid bugs me and if they give him a predictably tortured past i will stop watching ssssooooooo fast...

dts

The "emptiness" line uses the kanji 虚, which can mean either "void" or "untruth". When the line comes up later (repeatedly), I chose to translate it as "what is an illusion?" and "what is reality?" since that's relevant to the actual plot development but it still has that Zen vibe. So, I don't think the intent was pop philosophy... it's just a word with two different meanings, and since it was the first instance of the line, I didn't know which one to go with. There is a fair amount of philosophy in Amatsuki, but it's usually slipped in as references to Buddhism and classic Japanese poetry, or as musings on the ambiguous morality of the characters. 7 volumes in, and there's still no clear "good guys" or "bad guys". And don't worry, Toki has yet to show any major angst. Kuchiha is the angst bucket and even she isn't that bad.
Shinkouhyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 23:14   Link #94
Gromnir
Evil's evil twin

fair enough. if episode 1 was an aberration resulting from translation issues then i will endeavour to persevere... but if this turns into insipid and self indulgent navel gazing reminiscent of neon genesis, i am going to blame you for tricking me.

i jest... sort of.

dts
Old 2008-04-20, 08:14   Link #95
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I'm a bit surprised. Romi-san actually sounds more gentle here than in her previous roles. Reminds me of my surprise when I heard her in Monster as a stoned lady.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 20:24   Link #96
maika_chan

I watched the subbed version of the 1st episode a few days ago. I wasn't too excited over it mainly because of the cliche storyline and the main character's name (Tokidoki?!!).

But now, astonishingly, I can't wait for the next episode! I think it has something to do with Kuchiha....can't wait to see the development between her and Toki, or even Kon .
maika_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 08:54   Link #97
Shinkouhyou
(#゚Д゚)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maika_chan View Post
I watched the subbed version of the 1st episode a few days ago. I wasn't too excited over it mainly because of the cliche storyline and the main character's name (Tokidoki?!!).

But now, astonishingly, I can't wait for the next episode! I think it has something to do with Kuchiha....can't wait to see the development between her and Toki, or even Kon .
lol, Tokidoki is a weird name... but almost all of the characters in Amatsuki are named after Japanese colors, so "toki" is reddish pink, "kon" is navy blue, "kuchiha" is brown, etc.
Shinkouhyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 01:16   Link #98
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Another anime with a supernatural element I am so in ... This spring has been really good to my anime watching experience. Now I just have to download it to get started : )
Old 2008-04-24, 18:13   Link #99
Kaijin
かいじん

Thanks Ureshii! Ep. 2 is out!!
Old 2008-04-25, 14:44   Link #100
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Amatsuki very informative also at the same time it doesnt leave you confused like other historical anime . The information provided on Edo was really neat I hope in rl such virtual world existed . This anime surpassed all my expectations its really that good

This show kinda reminded me of Ayakashi Ayashi but unlike Ayakashi it did not have real confusing first episode

Tags
historical, studio deen, supernatural