AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-03-27, 20:33   Link #41
Major1138
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
You've got a triple negative in there eh. You meant to say "never once did I doubt that Kyoani would make a season 2 for Clannad", right. Well frankly I'm not surprised. I thought they had probably decided to fall in line with Sunrise's method of doing things with regard to Code Geass and Gundam 00. I wonder if this is the new trend now and if others will follow suit too. The thing is it honest to god works in generating hype.

Then again hype is the primary reason that Clannad Season 1 met with such a huge backlash with regard to it's finale from some people. I also think they probably would have been better of doing what Sunrise did with 00 and announced from the beginning that Clannad was going to be a split series. It would have saved them a lot of hate and would have been the courteous thing to do for the fans rather then leaving them in the dark for almost a month as it stood until now. And hopefully this decision also doesn't backfire on them as well. They made the right decision, just the execution and timing of it all could have been handled a lot better.
I'd have to agree that if this was the plan all along (i.e. Clannad then do After Story), they probably should have said so upfront - unless they were just going to go through the whole thing in one go. Given how a big part of Kyoto Animation's reputation is the adapting material fairly faithfully, it was pretty obvious that this was coming - I couldn't see them just stopping more or less halfway through the story.

As for whether the "split seasons" trick is going to be a trend, I think it might end up being the case for series like Gundam 00, Code Geass, and Clannad, where they have a big - but finite - story to tell and the odds of strong ratings all the way through is good. No matter how well something is written, I can't help but think it's tough to maintain momentum and interest over 52 or whatever episodes. It's also a pretty big commitment for a studio to make as well.

For series which aren't quite a "slam dunk" or don't have finite end as of yet (for adaptations), I can see studios taking the approach of doing one season at a time, but leaving themselves an opening to do another should the interest (and material!) be there.

But as for After Story - looking forward to it. It's (Clannad) easily the best of their visual novel adaptations, and they've done a good job of building up Nagisa and Tomoya as a couple (although they could have handled the twins and Tomoyo a more smoothly). Where they go from here should be interesting.

Last edited by Major1138; 2008-03-27 at 21:19.
Major1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 21:07   Link #42
Keruri
Like a falling star
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: A snowy town from 7 years ago....
Age: 22
Due to the material in the game and ranobe, a second season was inevitable. Nice going. <3

Ah.... this could get interesting. I can't wait!

However, I'm really wanting Little Busters!. If they decide to animate it, my guess is that it would air after CLANNAD finishes its run.

So, any speculations on the episode count? For.... "personal reasons", I have to say 13 episodes. However, knowing KyoAni, we could very well get 24.
Keruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 21:39   Link #43
boggart
鍵っ子
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
For now, the prospect of having and animated ~After Story~ is good enough for me. Little Busters! will come in due time, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, as there is still the Ecstasy version of the VN coming out this year sometime.

Anyone else think that the 'bonus' episode (or "episode 24") on Volume 8 of the DVD series might actually be the first episode of the ~After Story~ arc?
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 22:03   Link #44
Matt122005
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Where I am, what more do you need to know?
Naw, not really. I think ep 24 could be just another non-plot extra ep, or a recap.

-Matt
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 22:06   Link #45
SkoolRumble4Ya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Do u think they have a enough to do a full 24 episode or 12 episode series?
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 22:56   Link #46
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
See? I don’t think KyoAni’s a company to leave a story unended.
There's a reason why so many people want to see sequels for FMP and Haruhi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
You've got a triple negative in there eh. You meant to say "never once did I doubt that Kyoani would make a season 2 for Clannad", right. Well frankly I'm not surprised. I thought they had probably decided to fall in line with Sunrise's method of doing things with regard to Code Geass and Gundam 00. I wonder if this is the new trend now and if others will follow suit too. The thing is it honest to god works in generating hype.

Then again hype is the primary reason that Clannad Season 1 met with such a huge backlash with regard to it's finale from some people. I also think they probably would have been better of doing what Sunrise did with 00 and announced from the beginning that Clannad was going to be a split series. It would have saved them a lot of hate and would have been the courteous thing to do for the fans rather then leaving them in the dark for almost a month as it stood until now. And hopefully this decision also doesn't backfire on them as well. They made the right decision, just the execution and timing of it all could have been handled a lot better.
I imagine the reason why KyoAni didn't announce this before the start of the season was probably because, at that stage, they weren't certain they were going to do this. And then there's the hype and marketing reasons as well.

Anyway, my opinion of this is pretty neutral. I welcome a second season of Clannad, but it doesn't make or break my opinion of the first season, since I really didn't find anything unsatisfactory about the ending.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 23:39   Link #47
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Whahahaha I so knew it >.> well we all did really....

I just want to know if the shafted side characters will get their stories told...I loved their stories

If it does not include the side storeis it would be 12....

I wish it could be 2 cours ^-^

When will it air is another thing....
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 00:00   Link #48
Cloud668
Nice Boat.
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
I just want to know if the shafted side characters will get their stories told...I loved their stories
Doubt they could actually fit in Tomoyo and Kyou's path from the school life arc in. Doubt they would throw in Tomoyo After too, considering the time difference.
Cloud668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 00:03   Link #49
Kana Futayo
nyaa~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Naval Base
Is this true?!
__________________
Kana Futayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 00:27   Link #50
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cali
This is so super special awesome whatever that means.
__________________
:> Suddenly a birdy appears! What do you do?
SSJiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 01:21   Link #51
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I imagine the reason why KyoAni didn't announce this before the start of the season was probably because, at that stage, they weren't certain they were going to do this. And then there's the hype and marketing reasons as well.
Personally, and in retrospect, I think this has been in the works forever -- from the moment Clannad was in the planning stages. But as a conderation to viewers who haven't yet played the game (and would be thus be compelled to look into it if they heard an "After Story" was being animated), and to keep people guessing a bit, they didn't announce it. This is exactly the same thing Starchild did with the D.C. II's adaptation, and for a similar reason -- people who knew the game could see it coming, but announcing it would have given away the way things were going to end and what was still to come.

So yeah, marketing, hype, but also good storytelling sense. Telling an audience the a part 2 is on the way establishes a different expectation/interpretation of the plot than not telling them. Though, certainly, doing it this way carries at least some degree of risk of annoying the fanbase.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 01:26   Link #52
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Though, certainly, doing it this way carries at least some degree of risk of annoying the fanbase.
That's quite the understatement, what with the civil war that was going on back in the 22 thread.
__________________

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 03:24   Link #53
Muse
One day at a time....
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Long time visiter, first time posting.

I have to say, after watching the first season, and now just finishing the game, I'm very, very eager for this. I can't wait.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 03:26   Link #54
Lukix
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aruni Village, Chrono Cross. Poland.
Age: 22
I really enjoy there is a second season, who could be awesome. I'll will wait for first kiss Nagisa/Tomoya ^^
__________________
Lukix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 03:27   Link #55
xternalx
God who know
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
For now, the prospect of having and animated ~After Story~ is good enough for me. Little Busters! will come in due time, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, as there is still the Ecstasy version of the VN coming out this year sometime.

Anyone else think that the 'bonus' episode (or "episode 24") on Volume 8 of the DVD series might actually be the first episode of the ~After Story~ arc?
Or maybe Fuko & Ibuki for Clannad After Story Epilogue.
xternalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 03:30   Link #56
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by xternalx View Post
Or maybe Fuko & Ibuki for Clannad After Story Epilogue.
I'm betting it'll be the Baseball Route, actually.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 03:33   Link #57
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Fresno or Sacramento, CA
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm betting it'll be the Baseball Route, actually.
That's what everyone seems to be saying thus far. Ah well, another thing to keep our eyes out for come July!

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 04:56   Link #58
Jimmy C
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Any thoughts on what they'll use as the OP and ED for After Story? Will they keep the current ones? That's almost unheard of in recent anime.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 05:04   Link #59
FireChick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I think they'll probably keep the opening but change the ending.
FireChick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 05:14   Link #60
xternalx
God who know
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Singapore
Yeah OP same but Theme 2008 version for Clannad AS.
xternalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.