AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2008-08-16, 00:04   Link #1
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Jiraishin (Ice Blade)

Just want to talk about Jirashin by Tsutomu Takahashi aka Ice Blade to those in North America who got the manga from MIXX.

Great, awesome piece by the guy. Wish there was more, but the ending was I guess a bit up to the readers on how it "ended."

BTW, I'm doing a fanfic on how I think Jiraishin should've ended.

Kyoya/Eriko all the way!! (Kyoya/Atsuko if his boss wasn't that hard on him to cut his ties with her, poor girl.)

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 09:33   Link #2
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Well, it seemed to me that the ending put a subtle emphasis on his shadow...which sported a reddish tinge. You may recall that at the beginning of the final chapter, Eriko and Kyoya had a quite meaningful conversation about shadows and one's legacy to the world...and although the red hue could be blamed on the lighting/rising/setting sun, I can't help but harken back to that moment in the train.

I'm not sure there was much between Eriko and Kyoya (especially since she's still
Spoiler:
) but it's quite clear she's fond of him despite his Dirty Harry-like methods. He gets the job done although he also gets his hands dirty - but he still retains his humanity despite his cold outlook.

Overall, while it is quite dark, I did enjoy Jiraishin. If I were to choose between it and the more detailed MPD Psycho, I'd probably choose Jiraishin. I guess I grew more attached to the series' characters than to MPD's.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 16:39   Link #3
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Hey, lookie here. Another Jiraishin reader. LOL!

But yeah, the ending seems to be based on Kyoya's shadow. But I do seem kinda interpret on how the shadow gets the color/shape I guess.

Based on how I did http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4520292/1/Live_On...

Spoiler for Shadows of people:

Perhaps that there's not much Kyoya/Eriko on the last few chapters of Jiraishin, but thought...

Spoiler for The hotel scene in Kyoto:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2008-09-05 at 23:11.
Old 2008-08-26, 20:28   Link #4
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...aunch-in-japan

It's announced that Takahashi would relaunch it as Jiraishin Diablo in the good! Afternoon magazine.

Old 2008-08-28, 01:38   Link #5
Avisch
Reality Blender

Up to chapter 7 now.
I thought I had found the ultimate depressing manga after reading three of Osamu Tezuka's "Ode to Kirihito" (actually I have yet to read a uplifting manga by him). But Jiraishin really makes it seem lighter.

It's very intriguing series with it's case by case approach. For me I seem to know how it's gonna end each time (usually badly. With the side characters dead or disturbed) but yet I wanna keep reading. Is there a plot eventually developed?

But wow. I have never seen longer chapters for a manga (48 pages is the smallest I've seen)

The manga has not been completely scanlated yet, though I do hope someone takes up the work.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 01:50   Link #6
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
Up to chapter 7 now.
I thought I had found the ultimate depressing manga after reading three of Osamu Tezuka's "Ode to Kirihito" (actually I have yet to read a uplifting manga by him). But Jiraishin really makes it seem lighter.

It's very intriguing series with it's case by case approach. For me I seem to know how it's gonna end each time (usually badly. With the side characters dead or disturbed) but yet I wanna keep reading. Is there a plot eventually developed?

But wow. I have never seen longer chapters for a manga (48 pages is the smallest I've seen)

The manga has not been completely scanlated yet, though I do hope someone takes up the work.
Spoiler for End spoilers:

Spoiler for Manga already done:

Hope that helps.

Old 2009-01-20, 20:44   Link #7
u43368
Disabled By Request

Finally finished it today, ending sure was open... The main thing I still don't understand is what goes down in Iida's head. For example
Spoiler for all of Jiraishin:

So hard to figure out, he is.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 14:45   Link #8
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Well, Jiraishin diablo's being serialized, so expect more of Iida soon. (And I thought it's over. Wonder if there's going to be more Kyoya/Eriko interaction.)

Old 2009-01-26, 21:41   Link #9
u43368
Disabled By Request

I'm pretty sure Diablo is just a reserialization of the original series.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 22:06   Link #10
Cinocard

It is. No more new story for Jirashin. Just a repetition of what was published years ago. Man, i really feel empty with the ending. Wish there were more.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 01:39   Link #11
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Thought so. At least heard someone say it's a sequel. If I only knew I was right from the start...

Old 2009-02-01, 19:24   Link #12
il_capitano
tea for universe

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure it's new stuff, guys.
il_capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 16:45   Link #13
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I'm getting confused here. Someone had better clear this up...

Old 2009-06-28, 20:58   Link #14
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroni View Post
Finally finished it today, ending sure was open... The main thing I still don't understand is what goes down in Iida's head. For example
Spoiler for all of Jiraishin:

So hard to figure out, he is.
Which part was this?

Old 2009-10-21, 05:46   Link #15
Dark Mage

I really wish something romantic had developed between Eriko and Kyoya. I like Eriko alot and both Iida and Eriko has lost a loved one and can fill the gap with each other. It really reminds me of Angel Heart where Ryo lost Kaori and Saeko lost Makimura and now in Angel Heart they are continuing on with their lives despite each of them having lost their important ones and I always keep thinking that Saeko loves Ryo but cant get closer to him until Kaori is still in Ryo's heart.
Old 2009-11-07, 07:15   Link #16
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Just rifled through Chapter 7 (raw) of Jiraishin Diablo and...
I don't even remotely recall (it's been some time already so my memory could be faulty) reading anything like this. I'm quite certain it's new stuff (does a scene with a little girl standing on the bow of a submarine ring any bells for you guys?) and Mangaupdates appears to agree with me, as the series is listed as a sequel to Jiraishin.

It's serialized in the Good! Afternoon monthly magazine, btw.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 15:09   Link #17
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Really? I'd like to get a good look at that.

Old 2009-11-07, 15:47   Link #18
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

http://media.photobucket.com/image/j...802947.jpg?o=1

Someone got a photo of Jiriashin Diablo here, so Renegade is right that it's a sequel since I've never seen that one before.

Old 2009-11-09, 14:06   Link #19
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Kodansha search list of Jirashin Diablo

9 Volumes of Jirashin Diablo are already serialized.

But check out who's also with Iida...

Spoiler for Other character:

Old 2009-11-09, 21:20   Link #20
il_capitano
tea for universe

That's not Diablo, that's a new edition of the original Jiraishin series. It contains all the material from the original 19-volume run, plus a chapter called "The Lost File", divided among ten beefy volumes, with spiffy new covers. The 10th and final volume of the set comes out later this month.

Jiraishin Diablo volume 1, on the other hand, will not be released until February 5th. For the record, good! Afternoon only comes out once every two months, so Diablo volumes might not be as frequent as you'd hope, unless the chapters are 50-page monsters like Teppu or something.
il_capitano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detective, police