AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-05, 06:53   Link #101
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCL View Post
pass, old school with bad OST + slow slow pacing and kind of annoyinh animation gets a mega pass
Holy crap, I disagree, almost vehemently with all of those comments.

The OST I thought was fantastic. It darkened the mood and it was nicely orchestral throughout. The slow pacing is mostly from the mystery of the story behind it and annoying animation? Okay, I had a bit of laugh at that.

I honestly don't understand all the retro-backlash some anime tends to get. Even Goldo 13 had its share, but this Casshern remake obviously had a lot of love go into it.

The TOTAL retro look is just awesome in modern animation techniques and the brooding mood is just awesome in my book. If it takes it slow and steady, then so be it I'd say. Amazing OP and ED as well. I'd personally say this show fills in the 'serious show of the season' alongside Gundam 00, but this show is already looking more gloomy than 00 ever did.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 08:22   Link #102
Zekori

holy crap, that was pretty amazing. Was a fan of the 80's show, but wasn't expecting to be this impressed.
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 10:11   Link #103
Kirarakim

Well I am not exactly sure about this series maybe a little too somber for my tastes. But that beautiful quiet moment (before all the fighting) between Ringo and Casshern on the beach hooked me for at least another episode.

Oh and I do love the art style and music!
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 10:18   Link #104
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

A fuckin' hell of a way to bring back an old favorite.

Holy crap. The animation, the style, the music. It was all spot on. They nailed retro aesthetic while at the same time bringing it into the 21st century. The fight choreo was spot on, the camera work perfect, and the music was beautiful.

Even if the story doesn't turn out too hot (It's WAY too early to say it won't. The first episode isn't met to explain anything. Ever), I'll watch it just for it's style and gloss.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 10:57   Link #105
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 1
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 12:31   Link #106
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Holy crap, I disagree, almost vehemently with all of those comments.

The OST I thought was fantastic. It darkened the mood and it was nicely orchestral throughout. The slow pacing is mostly from the mystery of the story behind it and annoying animation? Okay, I had a bit of laugh at that.

I honestly don't understand all the retro-backlash some anime tends to get. Even Goldo 13 had its share, but this Casshern remake obviously had a lot of love go into it.

The TOTAL retro look is just awesome in modern animation techniques and the brooding mood is just awesome in my book. If it takes it slow and steady, then so be it I'd say. Amazing OP and ED as well. I'd personally say this show fills in the 'serious show of the season' alongside Gundam 00, but this show is already looking more gloomy than 00 ever did.
I completely agree with you...the anti-retro sentiment is almost offensive. Maybe it's my nostalgia-tinted glasses, but I was in awe of the visuals. Every possible aspect of the first show was executed to perfection...the chilling bg music, the powerful action choreography, the art design (loved the barren, post-apocalyptic look), and even the pacing was superb. It's sorta sad to see people immediately dismiss this because it looks "old school".
MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 13:28   Link #107
solomon

Dude's chill out, it's not offensive.

I agree it is a loss when people have trouble dealing with a show that has a design style that's more than 5 years old (although it doesn't really matter cause few anime is designed well anyways).

It's something you have to get used to, just like how I had to get used to the way pre 70s films were written and acted to appreciate movies like Citizen Kane and the Manchurian Candidate (the old one, not that Denzel crap). It's wierd for a little while, but sometimes if you put some effort into your entertainment you will be greatly rewarded.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 17:21   Link #108
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Not one bit of nostalgia-tainted endorsing here. I only have dim memories of the original airing on CN I think.

I loved it. The OST was great and totally reflected the dark mood and was bombastic when it had to be. I haven't heard music like this in a while. The special effects were wonderful. You could actually hear the decaying pieces of the robots disintegrate especially after it bounces off Casshern's mask. The retro style looked great. Animation was great especially during the fight scenes. Casshern is now a dark hero, hated and hunted like a certain Caped Crusader but very much needed.

My Ringo love has no bounds. They did such an amazing job in this episode with that character.
Old 2008-10-05, 17:29   Link #109
Tiberium Wolf

The ED song was awesome. From the new season series fansubed so far this ED song is the best.
Old 2008-10-05, 18:08   Link #110
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I loved it. The OST was great and totally reflected the dark mood and was bombastic when it had to be. I haven't heard music like this in a while.
Like i said, Kaoru Wada was seriously the perfect choice for this series. Everytime i hear a score by him, i'm just amazed all over again and how perfectly he can capture the right mood in each scene with his music. Truly a master composer, and a perfect fit for this series.

Edit: Oh my, oh my, oh my!

The soundtrack for the series already as a release date, 29th of this month!
Old 2008-10-05, 18:37   Link #111
solomon

Wada IS really great, although for a little while I was really "If you heard one you heard em all", but the music gelled so greatly here, I didn't care.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 18:37   Link #112
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Wow...I'll freely admit to having zero knowledge of the original, but that was a very retro and downright cool episode I have to admit.

I'm usually more of a fan of current animation styles but for some reason this really struck a chord with me...Maybe I'm getting tired of same ol'. Meh either way was a fun ride and I liked how the robots had abit of personality instead of being complete "Rawr Destroy" mode...You can see their pretty much hanging on by a thread and desperate to do anything to try and prevent their decline.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 13:16   Link #113
Kouvley

Deliciously old school

Kind of Saint Seiya-like with the character designs, they even got Tohru Furuya(who does Seiya's voice) to be Casshern.

Overall I'm impressed and intrigued by the intentional lack of information - we know about as much as Casshern himself it seems.

Looking forward to how things develop.
Kouvley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 21:53   Link #114
neoeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
The ED song was awesome. From the new season series fansubed so far this ED song is the best.
*nods*

Best ED of this fall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z3v9jO68pE[/QUOTE]

Watching:One Outs,Tales of abyss,Gundam 00 S2,Index,Toradora, Casshern,Kurozuka
neoeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 08:55   Link #115
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

I think there's already some summary of the second episode at the official site. To those who can understand japanese and don't mind spoilers, please translate if it's okay ^^; Ehehehe.
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 08:59   Link #116
lightbringer
M9000

This series has the most potential of this season's shows, from what I've seen so far, although it looks like it will take another two or three episodes to get rolling. The slow pace of the first episode fit the barren world and the amnesiac protagonist perfectly, and had me wanting to see more. The retro animation style was pretty, even if the enemies were just random ugly-looking trash.

I only have one problem with this episode - how many times do they need to show the panties of a five-year old girl who's probably a robot to boot? I can't imagine they are catering to some perverted lolicon fetishes (although I wouldn't put it past the Japanese to do so), so is that all supposed to be innocent and coincidental?

On another note, color me less than impressed with the opening and ending songs. Especially the opening.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 09:04   Link #117
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Maybe the pantyshots are just a nod to the oldschool days when there were simply pantyshots, nudeshots and even female toplessness (or guys' junks) in anime without a blink of an eye. People simply didn't give a damn in the 80's.

Robot or no, I thought it was cute... and no, not in that wrong way. I mean, I grew up with anime in the 80's and fleeting pantyshots. heh
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 13:02   Link #118
vspirit
...huh?

...man the Japanese pronunciation of the main character's name annoys me to no end for some reason.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 13:49   Link #119
thirdlc

Umakoshi animation is so amazing as I expected, but Ymauchi storyboard doesn't think of showing actions themselves just as usual.
thirdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 14:04   Link #120
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I only have one problem with this episode - how many times do they need to show the panties of a five-year old girl who's probably a robot to boot? I can't imagine they are catering to some perverted lolicon fetishes (although I wouldn't put it past the Japanese to do so), so is that all supposed to be innocent and coincidental?
Back the the 80s a pantyshot was....well.....just that. It didn't attract that much attention. Remember the orginal Dragonball? Goku was naked for several times in half the episodes. It was no big deal back then, and it didn't cater to anyhing.

Great first episode. Casshern was awesome, and really looked sad most of the time. The moment I saw the robot attacking Ringo I thought "bad move......you are dead" and "this won't be pretty". Cassherns response was even more violent then I thought.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madhouse